[Today at 10:58:06 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Galway Eagle
[Today at 10:35:41 AM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by Scoop Snoop
[Today at 09:51:44 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The State of MU’s Campus  (Read 7176 times)

El Guerrero 2

• Team Captain
The State of MU’s Campus
« on: May 23, 2023, 12:44:39 PM »
I have now officially become old, but I was on Marquette’s campus today and was taken aback. Most of the traditional haunts from my era (Class of 2010) are no longer in business and are just empty storefronts. Dog Haus - gone. Sal’s Pizza - gone. Sobelman’s Marquette - gone. Marquette Gyro - gone. Broken Yolk - just lost their lease and closed.

What campus is left with is a bunch of generic chains: Qdoba, Jimmy John’s, Burger King, Papa John’s. When will the administration wake up to the fact no one is forming any memories at those places and do more to support independent businesses on campus?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
Re: The State of MU’s Campus
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2023, 12:48:37 PM »
I have now officially become old, but I was on Marquette’s campus today and was taken aback. Most of the traditional haunts from my era (Class of 2010) are no longer in business and are just empty storefronts. Dog Haus - gone. Sal’s Pizza - gone. Sobelman’s Marquette - gone. Marquette Gyro - gone. Broken Yolk - just lost their lease and closed.

What campus is left with is a bunch of generic chains: Qdoba, Jimmy John’s, Burger King, Papa John’s. When will the administration wake up to the fact no one is forming any memories at those places and do more to support independent businesses on campus?

How do you know this?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2023, 12:49:51 PM »
Ya didant parc a Kia, did ya, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

El Guerrero 2

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2023, 12:54:23 PM »
How do you know this?

Because no one wants to acknowledge eating at a Burger King let alone remember they were there.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2023, 12:56:14 PM »
They should bring the Dairy Queen back.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2023, 01:03:11 PM »
Because no one wants to acknowledge eating at a Burger King let alone remember they were there.

I once got busy in a Burger King bathroom
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2023, 01:13:36 PM »

It's a natural consequence of eating at Burger King. Though most people can hold it long enough to make it home.
#weakconstitution

lawdog77

• All American

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2023, 01:30:58 PM »
And after the date, ima wanna do the wild thang / you want lobster, huh? I’m thinkin burger kang
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2023, 01:34:46 PM »
They should bring the Dairy Queen back.

Chicken strip basket was on point.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2023, 01:40:47 PM »
Next up....velcro New Balance, jorts, and early bird specials.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2023, 01:49:17 PM »
Ya didant parc a Kia, did ya, hey?

He's Ubering home if he did.

With your right hand.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2023, 02:19:07 PM »
I’m willing to bet we have the worst on campus food options of any college in America

I graduated in 2010 also and thinking back not only did we have the options the OP mentioned but we had Angelo’s, China Garden (nothing like getting high and hitting the buffet), Ziggys, Cousins, Subway, George Webb for a couple years, OP burritos, and probably more that I can’t remember.

Having Jimmy John’s and Burger King be your options is brutal. The places I mention weren’t the best (except Angelo’s and Gyro’s) but at least there were options.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 02:28:02 PM by swoopem »
Bring back FFP!!!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2023, 02:33:21 PM »
I’m willing to bet we have the worst on campus food options of any college in America

I graduated in 2010 also and thinking back not only did we have the options the OP mentioned but we had Angelo’s, China Garden (nothing like getting high and hitting the buffet), Ziggys, Cousins, Subway, George Webb for a couple years, OP burritos, and probably more that I can’t remember.

Having Jimmy John’s and Burger King be your options is brutal. The places I mention weren’t the best (except Angelo’s and Gyro’s) but at least there were options.

But how are they when it comes to salt?

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2023, 02:38:39 PM »
I think Wisconsin, but I know some have looked at changing it.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2023, 02:41:02 PM »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2023, 02:43:26 PM »
The Burger King closed.

Also, Marquette owns that entire block on the south side of Wells between 16th and 17th.
My guess is that they intentionally let those leases lapse because they want to redevelop it.

One of the reasons the restaurant scene around Marquette isn't thriving is because the studetns are way more mobile.  A higher percentage of kids have cars, and they can take Uber or Lyft to go to places like Third Street and the Third Ward.

« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 02:46:17 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2023, 02:53:52 PM »
The Burger King closed.

Also, Marquette owns that entire block on the south side of Wells between 16th and 17th.
My guess is that they intentionally let those leases lapse because they want to redevelop it.

One of the reasons the restaurant scene around Marquette isn't thriving is because the studetns are way more mobile.  A higher percentage of kids have cars, and they can take Uber or Lyft to go to places like Third Street and the Third Ward.

My guess is that there are more options on campus too.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2023, 03:52:49 PM »

Sadly, not even close. There are some truly abysmal food situations at many universities. And many of those don't have a short walk to an urban center to make up for it.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2023, 04:06:47 PM »
Sadly, not even close. There are some truly abysmal food situations at many universities. And many of those don't have a short walk to an urban center to make up for it.
I tend to agree. I think MU was above average and is just moving to the average.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2023, 04:12:46 PM »
My guess is that there are more options on campus too.

Yes.  Marquette has a food hall in the AMU, and several of the new academic halls that have been built in the last several years (including the Law School and Bus Ad builiding) have their own cafes.

The dining hall at the newer Commons residence hall has a BBQ smoker and a wood-fired pizza oven.
Have some patience, FFS.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2023, 05:14:46 PM »

I don’t know. Now that BK is closed, there’s only Jimmy John’s, qudoba, papa John’s (which, if I recall doesn’t stay open very late), and real chili (which is obviously awesome).

Most exits off the highway have more options than that
Bring back FFP!!!

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2023, 05:47:06 PM »
The Burger King closed.

This is correct, and a developer told me with the food delivery apps, restaurants don’t necessarily want to pay higher rents to be near MU for a seasonal business. I was told MU is listening to ideas, as I wanted to throw my name into the hat. I really think there could be incredible opportunity in the next 2-5 years.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2023, 06:47:43 PM »
Of all the reasons I have heard for deciding not to attend a particular university, "The restaurant options immediately off-campus didn't light me up" is not one of them

Lots of universities  have literally no off-campus options within walking distance because they are either in the middle of a cornfield or a residential neighborhood.

IIRC, Butler has nothing in the immediate area. And when Glow Jr and I went on a campus visit some years ago, the on-campus food was pretty mediocre.
Have some patience, FFS.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2023, 07:17:51 PM »

Creepy King?

feedback