[Today at 05:29:26 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:46:35 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Campus Sobelman's Closing  (Read 5200 times)

Sir Lawrence

• All American
Campus Sobelman's Closing
« on: May 02, 2023, 01:22:02 PM »
https://marquettewire.org/4101160/featured/sobelmans-to-close-at-the-end-of-semester/

Sobelman’s at Marquette will close its doors permanently at the end of the semester, the university has confirmed.
Ludum habemus.

The Lens

• All American
Re: Campus Sobelman's Closing
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2023, 01:46:43 PM »
I've heard the Bro Yo may be closing as well (owner is near retirement age).

MU has to have the worst bar & restaurant situation of any major University.  We need a lot but one thing I have always thought we needed was a Dotty Dumpling's Dowry type spot.  A place where visiting parent would go, etc.   The Annex has the atmosphere, it's well appointed but the food / service is atrocious. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2023, 01:55:31 PM »
I've heard the Bro Yo may be closing as well (owner is near retirement age).

MU has to have the worst bar & restaurant situation of any major University.  We need a lot but one thing I have always thought we needed was a Dotty Dumpling's Dowry type spot.  A place where visiting parent would go, etc.   The Annex has the atmosphere, it's well appointed but the food / service is atrocious. 

It's gonna get worse when they finish clearing that stretch of Wells.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2023, 01:59:51 PM »
It's gonna get worse when they finish clearing that stretch of Wells.

Is MU looking to bulldoze that whole block?  I have heard rumblings.  Where does Murph's / Real Chili go?  The way MU has pushed so many kids down to Water Street is ridiculous.  What a terrible miscalcution.

The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2023, 02:00:30 PM »
https://marquettewire.org/4101160/featured/sobelmans-to-close-at-the-end-of-semester/

Sobelman’s at Marquette will close its doors permanently at the end of the semester, the university has confirmed.

That place is a dump, and their burger quality suffered after they opened this location.

The food on campus is atrocious.  Always has been.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2023, 02:01:00 PM »
Is MU looking to bulldoze that whole block?  I have heard rumblings.  Where does Murph's / Real Chili go?  The way MU has pushed so many kids down to Water Street is ridiculous.  What a terrible miscalcution.

It's intentional.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2023, 02:06:47 PM »

I think the administration wants students to drink at the Mecca.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2023, 02:08:21 PM »

Hey, mister.    The purpose of Marquette is to educate our young people.    In spelling, for example.  (miscalcution)     All of those off campus shenanigans are not contributing to their edutcation.     Perhaps now, MU can build a proper wall and isolate itself from the rest of the dystopian cesspool that is Milwaukee.       Nobody here ever did a single productive thing off campus.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2023, 02:19:34 PM »
That place is a dump, and their burger quality suffered after they opened this location.

The food on campus is atrocious.  Always has been.

Boba Tea and Kale Smoothies here we come me

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2023, 02:24:13 PM »
Hey, mister.    The purpose of Marquette is to educate our young people.    In spelling, for example.  (miscalcution)     All of those off campus shenanigans are not contributing to their edutcation.     Perhaps now, MU can build a proper wall and isolate itself from the rest of the dystopian cesspool that is Milwaukee.       Nobody here ever did a single productive thing off campus.

Sorry I misspelled miscalculation.  I'm a COMM major, that's barely a degree. Cut me some slack. 

We need more bars on campus.  That's a fact.  It has nothing to do with building a wall around MU (I'm pretty pro downtown / city of Milwaukee).  I just think that encouraging kids to travel to drink when they are 18-22 is a bad idea.

Also MU Sobelmann's was terrible.  Dave has not had the best luck expanding, his Mequon location (franchise?) went under as well.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2023, 02:30:19 PM »
Exactly.  Let the kids walk home after drinking.

All good, lens.   Just having fun.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2023, 02:31:52 PM »

agree

Also MU Sobelmann's was terrible.  Dave has not had the best luck expanding, his Mequon location (franchise?) went under as well.

agree

Only tried it once and was so underwhelmed, never returned. 

Ludum habemus.

PBRme

• All American
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2023, 02:36:48 PM »
Bring back Angelos

Peace, Love, and Rye Whiskey...May your life and your glass always be full

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2023, 03:02:04 PM »

I have too. It would be a real shame if we lost those two establishments.

I know the downtown crime bit is a thing we have fun with on here, but kids are largely safer drinking at campus bars than Water on weekends.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2023, 03:27:59 PM »
I’ve never understood the thought process behind MU having kids go off campus to bars. It seems they could do a better job protecting the students closer to campus. At least when I was there, the LIMOs didn’t go past 6th, so people would take them as far as the could and just walk. Maybe Uber makes it a little easier now.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2023, 03:33:39 PM »
I’ve never understood the thought process behind MU having kids go off campus to bars. It seems they could do a better job protecting the students closer to campus. At least when I was there, the LIMOs didn’t go past 6th, so people would take them as far as the could and just walk. Maybe Uber makes it a little easier now.

I think the thought process is simple - Marquette likely doesn't want to be in a situation where it leases land or buildings to bars or to restaurants where students drink excessively. And I think a lot of people would argue that having such establishments closer to campus does not "do a better job protecting students."
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Goose

• All American
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2023, 03:44:00 PM »
Not a very big loss, IMO.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2023, 03:47:14 PM »
There is no world where kids getting blacked out drunk on Water or MLK is better than Wells. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2023, 03:48:09 PM »
There is no world where kids getting blacked out drunk on Water or MLK is better than Wells. 

You act as if those are the only two choices.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2023, 03:48:47 PM »
Not a very big loss, IMO.

You are probably correct but it's insane how if you want to grab a bite to eat before a Volleyball game or WBB the best option is now Jimmy John's. 

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2023, 04:14:46 PM »
Boba Tea and Kale Smoothies here we come me

Boba is great... Kale smoothies are sick.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2023, 04:19:56 PM »
The Lens

I agree that it limits options and that sucks. Just was not a fan of the place.

YaBlueIt

• Starter
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2023, 04:24:11 PM »
Whatever happened to the rumor that the vacant lot where Marquette Gyros used to be was going to be turned into a beer garden for Sobelman's?

The number of non-chain places on campus where you can sit down and have a meal is dwindling. Renovate or replace the building, add the beer garden and put an Oscar's there. It's better anyway.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2023, 04:26:13 PM »
The Lens

I agree that it limits options and that sucks. Just was not a fan of the place.

Agree, Goose, Sobleman’s is no bueno. Admittedly there is a soft spot in my heart (blood vessels) for Angelo’s. It would be nice to have a place like https://www.shopsatpenn.com/franklins-table but I’m not sure there is enough action near MU when school is out. Maybe MU could do like a Jazz in the Park sitch on the Union green, or maybe the new soccer stadium and live music venue will lead to more bars/restaurants around MU.

panda

• All American
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2023, 04:50:09 PM »
On campus type restaurants are a seasonal business. Couple that with Marquette being a terrible land lord and you have the situation campus is at now with minimal. traditional college haunts.

feedback