collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Campus Sobelman's Closing  (Read 5217 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: Campus Sobelman's Closing
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2023, 06:13:52 PM »
Places likes Dotties in Madison do a fair amount of business from non University people and/or people who are going to Kohl Center events. Marquette area places really don’t benefit from that kind of traffic.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2023, 06:23:45 PM »
Thanks a lot, Pilarz
Bring back FFP!!!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2023, 07:24:38 PM »
Places likes Dotties in Madison do a fair amount of business from non University people and/or people who are going to Kohl Center events. Marquette area places really don’t benefit from that kind of traffic.

Dotty.  And it's overrated. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2023, 07:41:28 PM »
MU needs more campus options.  Aren't the restaurant/bars good in Tosa?

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2023, 07:52:38 PM »
MU needs more campus options.  Aren't the restaurant/bars good in Tosa?

No.  Tosa sucks
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2023, 07:55:03 PM »
No.  Tosa sucks

Really?  I thought they had some decent options. 

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2023, 08:10:17 PM »

Hegs was packed at lunch with Court House clientele.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2023, 08:20:48 PM »
Hegs was packed at lunch with Court House clientele.

Hegs' grilled ham and cheese was top notch.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2023, 08:27:09 PM »
Hegs' grilled ham and cheese was top notch.

Such an underrated restaurant.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2023, 08:34:35 PM »
Free da Ham'n Egger!

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2023, 07:57:19 AM »
Also MU Sobelmann's was terrible.  Dave has not had the best luck expanding, his Mequon location (franchise?) went under as well.

For as good and well regarded as original Sobelmann's is, thats how bad the Mequon location was.  We ate there once, had a horribly bland and thoroughly mediocre burger that resembled nothing of its pedigree and never returned.  Shockingly bad all things considered.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2023, 08:33:19 AM »
Bring back Angelos
Angelos saved me from wasting away from SAGA.

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2023, 08:46:23 AM »
For as good and well regarded as original Sobelmann's is, thats how bad the Mequon location was.  We ate there once, had a horribly bland and thoroughly mediocre burger that resembled nothing of its pedigree and never returned.  Shockingly bad all things considered.

I think this happens to a lot of "branch" locations of iconic bars/restaurants.  It's really tough to live up to the original.  It also happens when a restaurant moves from its original location - maybe the staff and food is exactly the same, but changing the ambiance can totally tank an institution.

I also don't think MU's campus area is a particularly great place to run a successful business.  I worked for a coffee company during college that opened an MU location, and they left within 2 years.  Other locations were doing great, but students don't spend like we think they might.  It's probably amplified by MU's 2-year dorm rule, too, particularly now as dorms are getting nicer.  It's a comfortable bubble.  From a bars/nightlife perspective, I'm sure the existence of Uber has changed the game.  The walkable bar isn't so important anymore.   

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2023, 09:02:50 AM »
Mods, can I license MUScoop for my new handcrafted ice cream shop on campus? I plan to name the flavors after our favorite posters and memes and donate a portion to the NIL. First flavor “Death by Chocolate” sponsored by our favorite Mequon dentist. I kid, I kid obviously I don’t know him/her/them, except for the idea, don’t steal it. Thanks!

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2023, 09:11:34 AM »
I think this happens to a lot of "branch" locations of iconic bars/restaurants.  It's really tough to live up to the original.  It also happens when a restaurant moves from its original location - maybe the staff and food is exactly the same, but changing the ambiance can totally tank an institution.

I also don't think MU's campus area is a particularly great place to run a successful business.  I worked for a coffee company during college that opened an MU location, and they left within 2 years.  Other locations were doing great, but students don't spend like we think they might.  It's probably amplified by MU's 2-year dorm rule, too, particularly now as dorms are getting nicer.  It's a comfortable bubble.  From a bars/nightlife perspective, I'm sure the existence of Uber has changed the game.  The walkable bar isn't so important anymore.

Walking through Marquette's campus feels dead.  I know it is apples and oranges, but walking through UW's campus feels much more alive.  There are a ton of businesses up and down several streets around campus.  Now, of course, there are four times as many students at UW, but a large part of me thinks that Marquette has intentionally not encouraged businesses to move into the area.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2023, 09:29:15 AM »
Mods, can I license MUScoop for my new handcrafted ice cream shop on campus? I plan to name the flavors after our favorite posters and memes and donate a portion to the NIL. First flavor “Death by Chocolate” sponsored by our favorite Mequon dentist. I kid, I kid obviously I don’t know him/her/them, except for the idea, don’t steal it. Thanks!

I already trademarked Vanilla Soft Serve.  The key to the brand is the face plant into the dairy delight.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2023, 09:42:17 AM »
Mods, can I license MUScoop for my new handcrafted ice cream shop on campus?

Very much yes.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2023, 09:43:41 AM »
I already trademarked Vanilla Soft Serve.  The key to the brand is the face plant into the dairy delight.

Ben and Dairies

Brew's Goo-a coffee ice cream with swirls of soft caramel ice cream

Shaka Shake-available only on days when Marquette wins

Canadian Goose-a maple syrup flavored vanilla ice cream
« Last Edit: May 03, 2023, 10:16:25 AM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2023, 09:49:36 AM »

My guess is that Marquette serves food at much different hours then when most of us were in school. If we wanted a late night bite, we had to go out to get a pizza or to Wales on Wells or something similar, but now Marquette probably offers all of that in-house.

I also think you are right that students don't spend like you think they do. If you walk around UW to those places around there, it's not just students, but faculty, staff, community members, etc. I think we are blaming Marquette for something that is likely not much their fault.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2023, 09:51:01 AM »

Gotta call that flavor, "toothache." BTW, my pronoun is, "Dr.," hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2023, 10:10:43 AM »

Had one of those in my mid-twenties, decades ago. I still remember the incredible pain. It's in a class by itself.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2023, 10:48:59 AM »

My guess is that Marquette serves food at much different hours then when most of us were in school. If we wanted a late night bite, we had to go out to get a pizza or to Wales on Wells or something similar, but now Marquette probably offers all of that in-house.

I also think you are right that students don't spend like you think they do. If you walk around UW to those places around there, it's not just students, but faculty, staff, community members, etc. I think we are blaming Marquette for something that is likely not much their fault.

Not to mention the hospital being there probably drives people to those businesses.

Also, Oscar’s on Pierce is the Go-to for burgers at this point. I think they’ve surpassed Sobelman’s and isn’t super far from campus.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2023, 11:10:23 AM »

And a well earned one at that, Doc

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2023, 11:11:06 AM »
waiting for MU to put it all up for a vote on how/what to put on wells street
don't...don't don't don't don't

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2023, 11:16:53 AM »

Never thought of you as a gender neutral kind of person.  Congrats!
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

feedback