collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Campus Sobelman's Closing  (Read 5192 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: Campus Sobelman's Closing
« Reply #100 on: May 06, 2023, 11:10:01 PM »
I have a feeling Marquette would rather see a development of significant stature in between those blocks that the crappy Angelo’s build and the decrepit Gilman building. Those apartments were bad 16 years ago.

If Marquette kicks out Real Chili, we revolt. However, I’m fine rebuilding that side of the block.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #101 on: May 06, 2023, 11:54:38 PM »
I am very envious of all the current students as they have a beautiful campus, but as you say "less character". Marquette was not just in the city it was of the city as our neighbors worked and lived among the students who lived on "campus". Much of that is missing today.

In the late 1970s, Marquette had an add running on the Milwaukee television stations, promoting itself to potential students as an excellent destination point. The tag line was " a Jesuit education in the urban classroom". I remember at the time thinking how cool and how accurate that line really was.

swoopem

• All American
« Reply #102 on: May 07, 2023, 08:31:00 AM »
I think the idea that you need bars to have a quality college experience is…questionable.

Nerd!!!
Bring back FFP!!!

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #103 on: May 07, 2023, 09:27:44 AM »
never realized how MU got rid of pretty much everything that shaped our lives next to the education.  what good is real chilli when there ain't no bars to close down to make the ritual walk or stumble?  maybe the powers that been didn't like the challenge for schools to be the number fill-in-the-blank party school. 

i remember tending bar at hegs watching many a debate about sports, current affairs, networking lawyers and judges and political figures.  just a place which was a short walk from everywhere to meet for beers, pool, darts, pac-man, cribbage, bar dice, video golf games, saturday afternoon college football or basketball, pregame beers, and last but not least-everyone's irish on st paddy's day. 

never forget "felz houston ate his hands"

funny story-when paul remodeled the place which included the bathrooms, the first thing that went into the mens room before the urinals could be anointed was that iconic piece of graffiti.

I haven't thought about Felz Houston in years. You made my freaking day.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #104 on: May 07, 2023, 07:15:21 PM »
I haven't thought about Felz Houston in years. You made my freaking day.

richard, do you know the story behind felz?  because, come to think about it, i don't and it's funny no one really asked nor explained to me anyway.  the lore of felz houston lives on, but what is it?  except for the "fact" that there is some poor dude out there without any hands i guess ;D
don't...don't don't don't don't

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #105 on: May 08, 2023, 06:54:15 AM »
  richard, do you know the story behind felz?  because, come to think about it, i don't and it's funny no one really asked nor explained to me anyway.  the lore of felz houston lives on, but what is it?  except for the "fact" that there is some poor dude out there without any hands i guess ;D
I cried because I had no beer in my hand u til I saw felz who had no hands to put his beer in?

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #106 on: May 08, 2023, 12:50:22 PM »
84-88    Ups:    Bars.   So many bars.  Girls.  So many that I chatted up.   Block party.   Jiggles-fest.   Wells St and State St atmosphere.   WMUR.   MUTV.   Friday afternoon concerts.    Professors that inspired.

Downs:   Milwaukee PD stalking jay walkers.    Girl murdered in front of the florist across from Mashuda.   Sexual assault of a girl who lived in an apartment on the first floor of the apartment I stayed in my senior year.   2 weeks before I moved in.    Majerus to Dukiet.    Dahmer.   Kid dying out in front of the Avalanche.    Avalanche being held up.    The poor girl who fell and hit her head while holding onto the back bumper of a car in the snow.   Breaking up an armed mugging in the entry to the Mashuda parking lot.   Young and dumb and charged the gun.   

When I go back now, it seems cleaner, more sanitized than I remember.   More chains, less character.

Toni Reardon from St. Louis.  A very sweet girl.