[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by tower912
[Today at 02:42:24 PM]

Best case scenarios by Hards Alumni
[Today at 01:41:30 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by Big Papi
[Today at 09:34:04 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Campus Sobelman's Closing  (Read 5213 times)

pbiflyer

• All American
Re: Campus Sobelman's Closing
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2023, 12:56:54 PM »
Bring back Angelos

This, a thousand times this! Now you young whippersnappers take your Sobelman's and get off our lawn!

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2023, 03:32:36 PM »
Bring back Angelos

Guiliano's served the purpose of late night pizza filler and were lax on the ID check...

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2023, 05:52:11 PM »
Guiliano's served the purpose of late night pizza filler and were lax on the ID check...

Guilianos > Angelos

What about Marquette Gyros?

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2023, 11:55:01 PM »
Guilianos > Angelos

Bring back em all.

The problem is MU decided to Lily white it’s campus and what we’re stuck with is a US Marine Corp recruiting office.

Between Sinai, the Courthouse & other west side businesses, we’d make it.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MU82

• All American
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2023, 09:50:16 AM »
I already trademarked Vanilla Soft Serve.  The key to the brand is the face plant into the dairy delight.

Almost did a spit-take with my water. Well done, Dr. B!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2023, 10:45:52 AM »

My guess is that Marquette serves food at much different hours then when most of us were in school. If we wanted a late night bite, we had to go out to get a pizza or to Wales on Wells or something similar, but now Marquette probably offers all of that in-house.

I also think you are right that students don't spend like you think they do. If you walk around UW to those places around there, it's not just students, but faculty, staff, community members, etc. I think we are blaming Marquette for something that is likely not much their fault.

I think you hit the nail on the head here.  If Madison had to rely solely on students and faculty to support the surrounding businesses, it wouldn't be nearly as hopping.  It would be more like State College or Champaign.  In Madison, there are a ton of nearby non-student residents with disposable income who live and work in the general area of campus, so the businesses see a good mix of customers year round.  That's not the case at MU, nor will it likely ever be.  The hospital and courthouse kind of being in the neighborhood aren't enough - you need 22-30 year olds who actually live nearby for more bars and restaurants to open up.  I don't think MU is necessarily discouraging businesses, it's just that the economics don't make sense for most. 

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #56 on: May 04, 2023, 02:52:20 PM »
Guilianos > Angelos

^^^^^^^^
Ban dis guy!

^^^^^^^^
Keep dis guy!  ;D

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #57 on: May 04, 2023, 09:16:36 PM »
Anybody remember Rick’s? Tiny joint next to the old Gym Bar on Wells…across from Amigo’s. Had several late night meals there after over-imbibing.

And to whoever is going to make a dumb Ricky’s on State reference I’m not talking about the jiggle joint.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2023, 05:40:12 AM »
Besides Real Chili I remember Giuliano's (favorite late night visit for 2 slices and a drink for $2 50), Angelo's, Amigos (first beer on campus before my first night in McCormick), Wales on Wells, Marquette Gyros.  I don't recall anything else foodwise in the immediate neighborhood?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #59 on: May 05, 2023, 05:59:53 AM »
IHOP across from Mashuda.  Open 24 hours.

Rocky Rococo's for a bit at 12th and Wells.  Wasn't there a greasy spoon there prior?
« Last Edit: May 05, 2023, 06:02:02 AM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #60 on: May 05, 2023, 06:44:38 AM »
used to be a subway right across the street from schroeder hall
don't...don't don't don't don't

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #61 on: May 05, 2023, 06:46:19 AM »
Originally a Suburpia Subs?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #62 on: May 05, 2023, 06:57:26 AM »

that's right, suburpia, not subway, or did it become a subway?  i remember the shredded onion/lettuce mix sammy in the plastic bag. 
don't...don't don't don't don't

• All American
« Reply #63 on: May 05, 2023, 07:09:25 AM »
It became a Subway sometime in the late 80s if memory serves me right.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #64 on: May 05, 2023, 07:39:10 AM »

Rocky Rococo's for a bit at 12th and Wells.  Wasn't there a greasy spoon there prior?

I remember a greasy spoon on the corner of 13th and West Wisconsin, but that was almost 60 years ago so I could be wrong.

Today the MU campus is beautiful, but has now become an area in the City. When I was there  you would be hard pressed to know where the MU campus began and ended as there were so many mom and pop stores right on West Wisconsin: Real Chill was just down from the Varsity and on either side there was a barber shop and a music store. There was a laundromat on the corner of 12th and Wells. As a chemistry and biology major our favorite watering hole was Calahan's just around the corner from the Weir Life Science building,  As a member of the MU Chorus we would sing in the restaurant at the Boston store during the Christmas shopping season and I even sang at the Presbyterian Church at 10th and West Wisconsin.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #65 on: May 05, 2023, 07:51:48 AM »

Yes and a Suburbia across from the Gym that had live music. The Ham 'n Egger was across Wells from the Schroeder Suburpia (NE Corner) that's now the Wells Street parking garage.

The short lived George Webb's on Wells was perhaps the worst restaurant ever near campus.

• All American
« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2023, 08:04:48 AM »
Yes and a Suburbia across from the Gym that had live music. The Ham 'n Egger was across Wells from the Schroeder Suburpia (NE Corner) that's now the Wells Street parking garage.

The short lived George Webb's on Wells was perhaps the worst restaurant ever near campus.

I believe the Ham and Egger became a Rocky Roccocos pizza at one point.

Jables1604

• Team Captain
« Reply #67 on: May 05, 2023, 10:07:15 AM »
Besides Real Chili I remember Giuliano's (favorite late night visit for 2 slices and a drink for $2 50), Angelo's, Amigos (first beer on campus before my first night in McCormick), Wales on Wells, Marquette Gyros.  I don't recall anything else foodwise in the immediate neighborhood?
Also a Rocky Roccoco’s pizza joint down by Hegarty’s.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #68 on: May 05, 2023, 10:08:32 AM »

Forgot about IHOP.

My brother used to love going to that IHOP.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2023, 10:23:16 AM »
I'm convinced MU peaked in the mid to late 80's.

- You could see 77 pretty clearly in the rearview mirror
- All the north / south streets were closed through academic parts of campus
- Most if not all of the classic haunts were there and thriving
- The Block Party was still a thing
- Mugrack > The Pub

FTR, I graduated in 1997 so this is not a "things were better in my day".  I know my place in history; the Lanche closed and the Warrior died.  It was a sad time.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

• All American
« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2023, 10:44:23 AM »
I went in the mid to late 80s. Definitely not the peak.

Honestly it’s a pretty great place now. No idea why people are so down in it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2023, 11:32:57 AM »
Like most of us, I loved Marquette when I was there.

Arrived just 1+ year after the natty and we were still considered an "independent power," Sam Worthen was our guy and hopes were strong for the future; drinking age was 18; students actually were encouraged by the university to hold floor parties at the dorm (especially McCormick my freshman year); the rec center was still relatively new; Varsity usually had good stuff going on; bands at the Mug Rack; had a bazillion bars on campus or damn close to it, and all of them had amazing weeknight specials; Wales on Wells and Angelo's and Real Chili and a few others were joints worth noshing at.

Food at the dorms blew, there was no such thing as craft beer, and far too many kids smoked cigs, but we didn't know any better!

Having said all that ... every time I've returned the last few years, I've been amazed and proud at how appealing Marquette's campus has become.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2023, 01:41:30 PM »
I went in the mid to late 80s. Definitely not the peak.

Honestly it’s a pretty great place now. No idea why people are so down in it.

MU has done an outstanding job with academic campus...but the lack of classic spots around the area makes me nostagic for a Wells Street packed with options.  I loved being able to walk into a MU bar and chat up a neighborhood character.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2023, 01:53:17 PM »
84-88    Ups:    Bars.   So many bars.  Girls.  So many that I chatted up.   Block party.   Jiggles-fest.   Wells St and State St atmosphere.   WMUR.   MUTV.   Friday afternoon concerts.    Professors that inspired.

Downs:   Milwaukee PD stalking jay walkers.    Girl murdered in front of the florist across from Mashuda.   Sexual assault of a girl who lived in an apartment on the first floor of the apartment I stayed in my senior year.   2 weeks before I moved in.    Majerus to Dukiet.    Dahmer.   Kid dying out in front of the Avalanche.    Avalanche being held up.    The poor girl who fell and hit her head while holding onto the back bumper of a car in the snow.   Breaking up an armed mugging in the entry to the Mashuda parking lot.   Young and dumb and charged the gun.   

When I go back now, it seems cleaner, more sanitized than I remember.   More chains, less character.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #74 on: May 05, 2023, 02:09:23 PM »
Grebe's Delicatessan, open 24/7. Never closed. Northwest corner 12th & Wisconsin. No seating. Shared a common entry with the University Store. Reeked of salami and cheese. Grab a homemade sandwich and a Cream soda to go, anytime of the day or night. Buy a Sunday Journal from an old guy in the front doorway at 4:30 am after a night of carousing.

We didn't know how good we had it.

feedback