collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Campus Sobelman's Closing  (Read 5249 times)

dgies9156

• All American
Re: Campus Sobelman's Closing
« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2023, 02:51:08 PM »
Dysentery > Angelos

Starvation > Angelos

MU82

• All American
« Reply #76 on: May 05, 2023, 03:20:25 PM »
Downs:   Milwaukee PD stalking jay walkers.    Girl murdered in front of the florist across from Mashuda.   Sexual assault of a girl who lived in an apartment on the first floor of the apartment I stayed in my senior year.  Dahmer.   Kid dying out in front of the Avalanche.    Avalanche being held up.    The poor girl who fell and hit her head while holding onto the back bumper of a car in the snow.   Breaking up an armed mugging in the entry to the Mashuda parking lot.   Young and dumb and charged the gun.   

Well, this explains why enrollment at Marquette was zero every year from 1988 to present. Except for the basketball teams we somehow were able to fill.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #77 on: May 05, 2023, 03:26:27 PM »
I remember a greasy spoon on the corner of 13th and West Wisconsin, but that was almost 60 years ago so I could be wrong.

Today the MU campus is beautiful, but has now become an area in the City. When I was there  you would be hard pressed to know where the MU campus began and ended as there were so many mom and pop stores right on West Wisconsin: Real Chill was just down from the Varsity and on either side there was a barber shop and a music store. There was a laundromat on the corner of 12th and Wells. As a chemistry and biology major our favorite watering hole was Calahan's just around the corner from the Weir Life Science building,  As a member of the MU Chorus we would sing in the restaurant at the Boston store during the Christmas shopping season and I even sang at the Presbyterian Church at 10th and West Wisconsin.

I remember all those places in the late 60's. The music store had guitar in the window for $29.99. I went to the laundromat weekly when I had an efficiency apartment in an early 1900's building on N.15th St. The building had a huge compressor in the basement that cooled the tiny built-in fridges, and pass-through little doors for compartments in the hallway for milk and bread deliveries. Boston and one other department store (cannot remember the name) were downtown.

Had Real Chili often. Dickthedribbler mentioned Grebe's with their take-out sandwiches. They also had donuts and other bakery items.

Grandmora was a former circa 1890's-1900 apartment building that was used for faculty offices. I remember the "rolling" floors that had buckled noticeably.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #78 on: May 05, 2023, 04:12:36 PM »
Grebe’s was great for a quick, ok-priced lunch  located not far from Straz Hall.

Marquette Gyros was amazing. Something about the cherry coke after 19 beers hit just right.

Drunk Window at Louie D’s was a great idea. Quick cheeseburger & fries.

I puked in a cup while standing at a table at Pizza Joe’s. I was 18. Sorry.

Living at Campus Town, went to DQ for the chicken strip basket an insane amount of times.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #79 on: May 05, 2023, 04:20:22 PM »
I'm convinced MU peaked in the mid to late 80's.

- You could see 77 pretty clearly in the rearview mirror
- All the north / south streets were closed through academic parts of campus
- Most if not all of the classic haunts were there and thriving
- The Block Party was still a thing
- Mugrack > The Pub

FTR, I graduated in 1997 so this is not a "things were better in my day".  I know my place in history; the Lanche closed and the Warrior died.  It was a sad time.

This is the first time I've heard someone argue that Marquette peaked during the reign of Dukiet
« Last Edit: May 05, 2023, 04:22:03 PM by TAMU, Knower of Ball »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #80 on: May 05, 2023, 04:38:21 PM »
I remember a greasy spoon on the corner of 13th and West Wisconsin, but that was almost 60 years ago so I could be wrong.

You’re not wrong. It was called “Milt’s” until 1968, “Dal’s” thereafter. Hamburgers were 25c, you got 5 for $1 “to go”.Food was awful at Schroeder, so it wasn’t hard to find 4 guys every night who would want a late night snack - so mine would be free. It also had a good bacon and eggs alternative to Real Chili for dining after closing time at the bars.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #81 on: May 05, 2023, 07:55:11 PM »
Any y'all lose your virginity in the walkways under Wisconsin Ave., hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #82 on: May 06, 2023, 07:09:31 AM »
This is the first time I've heard someone argue that Marquette peaked during the reign of Dukiet

Bobby may have ruined hoops but that ride to hell was fun.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #83 on: May 06, 2023, 07:17:01 AM »
I'm convinced MU peaked in the mid to late 80's.

- You could see 77 pretty clearly in the rearview mirror
- All the north / south streets were closed through academic parts of campus
- Most if not all of the classic haunts were there and thriving
- The Block Party was still a thing
- Mugrack > The Pub

FTR, I graduated in 1997 so this is not a "things were better in my day".  I know my place in history; the Lanche closed and the Warrior died.  It was a sad time.

It just as cool today, just different.

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #84 on: May 06, 2023, 09:00:40 AM »
The Biltmore Hotel on the south side of Wisconsin Avenue at 13th Street.Was taken down in 1980-81 or thereabouts I believe. Don't recall if it was all student rentals by then or a mix of students and elderly neighborhood residents. Place had to be almost 100 years old at the time and would have soon fallen down had they not taken it down. All wood construction-----was a total fire trap.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #85 on: May 06, 2023, 01:15:22 PM »
While Shroeder may not have been a fire trap, The "Great Shroeder Hall Fire" occurred in my freshman year during winter late at night. Many of us thought it was another fire drill until we smelled the smoke in the stairways. I saw the flames on the third floor and firemen fighting the blaze. It took out three rooms before it was put out.

I knew a guy whose room it was where the fire started. He was upset as he watched from the street as his burning stuff was being thrown out the window. He came up with a BS cover story that his stereo shorted out and started the fire. The truth was that he and some friends were drunk and playing a game/contest of bouncing wooden matches off the tile floor to get them to light. At the time, there was a fabric drape over the closet opening, and one of the matches set it and the contents of the closet ablaze,
« Last Edit: May 06, 2023, 01:31:51 PM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

SoCalEagle

• All American
« Reply #86 on: May 06, 2023, 02:32:08 PM »
The Biltmore Hotel on the south side of Wisconsin Avenue at 13th Street.Was taken down in 1980-81 or thereabouts I believe. Don't recall if it was all student rentals by then or a mix of students and elderly neighborhood residents. Place had to be almost 100 years old at the time and would have soon fallen down had they not taken it down. All wood construction-----was a total fire trap.

The Biltmore lasted much longer than that.  I lived there in the mid 90s and I believe it lasted a few more years until it was demolished to make room for Raynor library. It still had a few long time (non-student) residents, but was mostly student occupied when I was there.  I am sure plans were already underway to close it down and replace it with a new structure.  Absolutely no repairs of any significance were done to the units during those last few years.  It was an interesting place to live to be sure.   

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #87 on: May 06, 2023, 03:33:33 PM »
The Biltmore lasted much longer than that.  I lived there in the mid 90s and I believe it lasted a few more years until it was demolished to make room for Raynor library. It still had a few long time (non-student) residents, but was mostly student occupied when I was there.  I am sure plans were already underway to close it down and replace it with a new structure.  Absolutely no repairs of any significance were done to the units during those last few years.  It was an interesting place to live to be sure.

Thanks for the correction on the tear down time frame. Forgot that it survived that long.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #88 on: May 06, 2023, 04:10:31 PM »

Drooler,

Thinking or the old KofC?  They rolled the dozers in on a Saturday. Remember it well.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #89 on: May 06, 2023, 04:17:50 PM »
You’re not wrong. It was called “Milt’s” until 1968, “Dal’s” thereafter. Hamburgers were 25c, you got 5 for $1 “to go”.Food was awful at Schroeder, so it wasn’t hard to find 4 guys every night who would want a late night snack - so mine would be free. It also had a good bacon and eggs alternative to Real Chili for dining after closing time at the bars.

I was an early riser and on the weekends they only had brunch and dinner, so on Saturdays I would grab breakfast there: Bacon and eggs, toast, orange juice and coffee was 40c. I wasn't sure if it was on the corner of 13th or 12th, but yeah it was Milts. Was the building white?

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2023, 04:27:46 PM »
84-88    Ups:    Bars.   So many bars.  Girls.  So many that I chatted up.   Block party.   Jiggles-fest.   Wells St and State St atmosphere.   WMUR.   MUTV.   Friday afternoon concerts.    Professors that inspired.

Downs:   Milwaukee PD stalking jay walkers.    Girl murdered in front of the florist across from Mashuda.   Sexual assault of a girl who lived in an apartment on the first floor of the apartment I stayed in my senior year.   2 weeks before I moved in.    Majerus to Dukiet.    Dahmer.   Kid dying out in front of the Avalanche.    Avalanche being held up.    The poor girl who fell and hit her head while holding onto the back bumper of a car in the snow.   Breaking up an armed mugging in the entry to the Mashuda parking lot.   Young and dumb and charged the gun.   

When I go back now, it seems cleaner, more sanitized than I remember.   More chains, less character.

I am very envious of all the current students as they have a beautiful campus, but as you say "less character". Marquette was not just in the city it was of the city as our neighbors worked and lived among the students who lived on "campus". Much of that is missing today.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2023, 04:33:24 PM »
never realized how MU got rid of pretty much everything that shaped our lives next to the education.  what good is real chilli when there ain't no bars to close down to make the ritual walk or stumble?  maybe the powers that been didn't like the challenge for schools to be the number fill-in-the-blank party school. 

i remember tending bar at hegs watching many a debate about sports, current affairs, networking lawyers and judges and political figures.  just a place which was a short walk from everywhere to meet for beers, pool, darts, pac-man, cribbage, bar dice, video golf games, saturday afternoon college football or basketball, pregame beers, and last but not least-everyone's irish on st paddy's day. 

never forget "felz houston ate his hands"

funny story-when paul remodeled the place which included the bathrooms, the first thing that went into the mens room before the urinals could be anointed was that iconic piece of graffiti. 
don't...don't don't don't don't

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #92 on: May 06, 2023, 04:35:53 PM »
I remember all those places in the late 60's. The music store had guitar in the window for $29.99. I went to the laundromat weekly when I had an efficiency apartment in an early 1900's building on N.15th St. The building had a huge compressor in the basement that cooled the tiny built-in fridges, and pass-through little doors for compartments in the hallway for milk and bread deliveries. Boston and one other department store (cannot remember the name) were downtown.

Had Real Chili often. Dickthedribbler mentioned Grebe's with their take-out sandwiches. They also had donuts and other bakery items.

Grandmora was a former circa 1890's-1900 apartment building that was used for faculty offices. I remember the "rolling" floors that had buckled noticeably.

There was a Gimbels downtown as well. They were once headquartered in Milwaukee.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #93 on: May 06, 2023, 04:39:47 PM »
I was an early riser and on the weekends they only had brunch and dinner, so on Saturdays I would grab breakfast there: Bacon and eggs, toast, orange juice and coffee was 40c. I wasn't sure if it was on the corner of 13th or 12th, but yeah it was Milts. Was the building white?

Yes, the building was white - northeast corner of 13th and Wisconsin, basically kitty corner from Schroeder.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #94 on: May 06, 2023, 05:28:31 PM »
I think the idea that you need bars to have a quality college experience is…questionable.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MurphysTillClose

• Starter
« Reply #95 on: May 06, 2023, 05:32:31 PM »
I think the idea that you need bars to have a quality college experience is…questionable.

You sound like an RA

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #96 on: May 06, 2023, 05:39:49 PM »
You sound like an RA

Really? My RAs were always at the bars. As was I. But I just think there are a lot of ways to get a great MU experience.

And as I have said, the University isn’t leasing to bars.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #97 on: May 06, 2023, 06:43:23 PM »

"...pretty much...'  not everything, but a good part of it.  and note that i said "shaped our lives"  now i believe, with the exception of the annex or whatever it's referred to, is about the only place on campus to have a drink.  well, with the exception of ones dorm rooms.  the mug rack was a fantastic meeting place.  seems like getting rid of that was the beginning of the end of that aspect of the campus experience.

yes, there are other venues for students to shape their college experience as well
don't...don't don't don't don't

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #98 on: May 06, 2023, 08:37:36 PM »
Dysentery > Angelos

Starvation > Angelos

You have ZERO credibility on this topic

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #99 on: May 06, 2023, 09:43:29 PM »

Mecca Man!

feedback