collapse

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Restaurants and their "use" of salt  (Read 5200 times)

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
Re: Restaurants and their "use" of salt
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2023, 09:37:04 AM »
My guess that any Scooper that fancies him/herself as a serious cook already uses more salt than you probably care for.

I have:

Home Made
Italian Herb
Parsley & Tarragon
Hickory Smoked
Applewood Smoked
Sirracha
Chili Lime

Purchased
Birch Smoked
Oak Smoked
Spanish Chorizo
Herbes de Provence
Tropical Hibiscus
Peri Peri
Chipotle
Cayenne

Muggsy would probably faint
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2023, 09:56:33 AM »
Again I use salt, understand how to create flavor, have a tier 1 kitchen, cookware,  spice collection, and always have the freshest of herbs and veggies one could find.  I use prime time ingredients far more often than the average person and know what I'm doing when it comes to dropping the hammer on a array of dishes that are highly diverse and require tremendous skill and execution.  The only thing I suck at are desserts, especially soufflés and cakes.  I also can't make Timballo or Timpano which is upsetting.   :(
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 09:58:48 AM by MuggsyB »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2023, 10:11:29 AM »
What’s worse? Salt or refined carbs?

I’ll go with carbs for worse.

Neither. If you're a healthy adult, all is fine. Only thing that matters is calories in, calories out

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2023, 10:25:20 AM »
Neither. If you're a healthy adult, all is fine. Only thing that matters is calories in, calories out

Hmph.  I’ll do my own research about salt and diet
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2023, 10:28:31 AM »
For weight gain/loss, not for overall nutrition.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2023, 10:37:05 AM »
I have:

Home Made
Italian Herb
Parsley & Tarragon
Hickory Smoked
Applewood Smoked
Sirracha
Chili Lime

Purchased
Birch Smoked
Oak Smoked
Spanish Chorizo
Herbes de Provence
Tropical Hibiscus
Peri Peri
Chipotle
Cayenne

Which do you use for manatee filets?

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2023, 10:40:16 AM »
Which do you use for manatee filets?
Yes
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2023, 10:55:40 AM »
The average human body contains 40 teaspoons of salt, which needs to be replaced when sweated out. Hand me the bag of chips.

https://www.sciencefocus.com/the-human-body/how-much-salt-is-in-a-human-body/amp/

MU82

• All American
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2023, 12:08:28 PM »
I have:

Home Made
Italian Herb
Parsley & Tarragon
Hickory Smoked
Applewood Smoked
Sirracha
Chili Lime

Purchased
Birch Smoked
Oak Smoked
Spanish Chorizo
Herbes de Provence
Tropical Hibiscus
Peri Peri
Chipotle
Cayenne

What? No Kosher salt?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

YaBlueIt

• Starter
« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2023, 12:25:03 PM »
I know a lot of people who feel the need to always add salt and pepper at the dinner table - sometimes even before trying the food. I'm convinced it's because many of these people don't properly season their food when cooking. It's very easy to learn how to season food properly and will make all of your food taste better with minimal added effort.

For the love of god, throw away the salt shaker and instead get yourself some kosher salt and put it in a container next to your stove. I recommend using Diamond Crystal - it's less "salty" than Morton's and has 50% less sodium, making it much harder to accidentally overseason food. It's a staple of professional kitchens everywhere. And be generous with it - use more than you think you need. When salting meat, give it 30 minutes to absorb the salt before cooking; the salt will bring out the flavor of the meat and make it more tender. Also, pasta water should really be "as salty as the sea". Then after the pasta is done boiling, add a splash of the water into the sauce when you mix it together with the pasta. Your taste buds will thank you.

As for watching sodium intake, a few pinches of kosher salt is not going to kill you. The real culprit is processed and pre-packaged food.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2023, 12:30:29 PM by YaBlueIt »

YaBlueIt

• Starter
« Reply #60 on: May 23, 2023, 12:29:48 PM »
I have:

Home Made
Italian Herb
Parsley & Tarragon
Hickory Smoked
Applewood Smoked
Sirracha
Chili Lime

Purchased
Birch Smoked
Oak Smoked
Spanish Chorizo
Herbes de Provence
Tropical Hibiscus
Peri Peri
Chipotle
Cayenne

It would be easier and better to just have decent kosher salt and a well-stocked spice drawer.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #61 on: May 23, 2023, 12:32:43 PM »
It would be easier and better to just have decent kosher salt and a well-stocked spice drawer.

Probably needs to support his butt buddy penzey.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2023, 12:37:59 PM »
My guess that any Scooper that fancies him/herself as a serious cook already uses more salt than you probably care for.

Bingo. I guarantee that good restaurants don’t use 5x (“conservatively” lol) the salt I use.

Muggsy, it’s clear you like a very light touch with the salt to season your food. There is nothing wrong with your preference. But it’s just that…a preference. And I’d venture a guess that your preference is significantly different than most. That’s why “everyone” you’re with seems to enjoy their food even though you think it’s way over salted. I strongly suspect that “everyone” you’re with would be reaching for the salt shaker if the food was exactly to your liking. Unfortunately, no amount of salt from the shaker will fix food that isn’t adequately seasoned during cooking.

Most chefs aren’t idiots (and presumably neither are your dining companions). They’re trying to make food that appeals to their customers’ tastes. Your tastes are clearly different than most. And that’s OK. You just have to deal with the  inconvenience that most food prepared in restaurants isn’t tailored to your palette.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #63 on: May 23, 2023, 12:44:05 PM »
For weight gain/loss, not for overall nutrition.

Generally correct. Though I would still say "refined carbs" or dietary salt will not negatively impact healthy folks' nutrition.

Follow-up, I truly believe weight needs to be the first problem solved, rather than nutrition. If you're at a healthy weight, by all means focus on nutrition. But the majority of the population needs to be focused on CICO

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2023, 01:33:23 PM »
Probably needs to support his butt buddy penzey.

“Butt Buddy”

😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2023, 07:16:56 PM »
Por que no los dos?

Unfortunately, the RN isn't into threesomes, hey?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2023, 07:39:11 PM »

Go fer it.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2023, 07:51:13 PM »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #68 on: May 24, 2023, 12:07:42 AM »

I meant finding a woman who is both zesty and salty but I guess that's an option too
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #69 on: May 24, 2023, 07:50:23 AM »
Bingo. I guarantee that good restaurants don’t use 5x (“conservatively” lol) the salt I use.

Muggsy, it’s clear you like a very light touch with the salt to season your food. There is nothing wrong with your preference. But it’s just that…a preference. And I’d venture a guess that your preference is significantly different than most. That’s why “everyone” you’re with seems to enjoy their food even though you think it’s way over salted. I strongly suspect that “everyone” you’re with would be reaching for the salt shaker if the food was exactly to your liking. Unfortunately, no amount of salt from the shaker will fix food that isn’t adequately seasoned during cooking.

Most chefs aren’t idiots (and presumably neither are your dining companions). They’re trying to make food that appeals to their customers’ tastes. Your tastes are clearly different than most. And that’s OK. You just have to deal with the  inconvenience that most food prepared in restaurants isn’t tailored to your palette.

We'll agree to disagree. I like plenty of salt and use it generously.  What I don't like is 10 vats of it on my food.  As for everyone has different tastes?  Yes but that's not the issue here.  People conform with all sorts of things including food, restaurants, etc.  Behavioral psychologists have actually studied this and done a number of tests.
I would encourage you to read Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely.  The fact of the matter is when the average person (who is a solid cook) prepares dishes at home, dishes they make that are usually better than most restaurants, they probably use anywhere from 1/5 to 1/10 the amount of salt.   I don't like light salt, I like the right portion of salt depending on the dish. 

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #70 on: May 24, 2023, 07:53:35 AM »
We'll agree to disagree. I like plenty of salt and use it generously.  What I don't like is 10 vats of it on my food.  As for everyone has different tastes?  Yes but that's not the issue here.  People conform with all sorts of things including food, restaurants, etc.  Behavioral psychologists have actually studied this and done a number of tests.
I would encourage you to read Predictably Irrational by Dan Ariely.  The fact of the matter is when the average person (who is a solid cook) prepares dishes at home, dishes they make that are usually better than most restaurants, they probably use anywhere from 1/5 to 1/10 the amount of salt.   I don't like light salt, I like the right portion of salt depending on the dish.
You're talking out of your a$$ Muggsy

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #71 on: May 24, 2023, 08:02:20 AM »
You're talking out of your a$$ Muggsy

No I'm not.  Maybe your friends and family don't know how to cook?  There are many great restaurants but there are a ton more that are mediocre or crap. 

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #72 on: May 24, 2023, 08:39:12 AM »
No I'm not.  Maybe your friends and family don't know how to cook?  There are many great restaurants but there are a ton more that are mediocre or crap.
LOL. You're shifting the goalposts now from "my meal tasted salty, but others were fine with it"-meaning to me, you have some super palate- now to Muggs can make meals at home better than most restaurants using 1/5 to 1/10 of the salt-and if you cant you don't know how to cook.

Your supreme skills notwithstanding, going out to eat fine dining once a week and getting "extra salt" is not going to affect the normal person.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #73 on: May 24, 2023, 08:43:03 AM »
Nothin' bedded dan a hare grabbin', bitch slappin', pissin' match 'bout salt on a Wednesday mornin', aina?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2023, 08:45:04 AM »
Nothin' bedded dan a hare grabbin', bitch slappin', pissin' match 'bout salt on a Wednesday mornin', aina?
Wile hare is a good meal, but they are very hard to grab. Not sure how much salt is appropriate, though.

feedback