Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: A future ESPN 30 for 30 episode is unfolding before our eyes....  (Read 18662 times)

Shooter McGavin

• All American
Re: A future ESPN 30 for 30 episode is unfolding before our eyes....
« Reply #100 on: May 20, 2023, 08:54:15 PM »
I have no idea what Marky Mark is like now, but he has a pretty disgusting history:

https://time.com/3623630/mark-wahlberg-pardon/

Sounds like he made some very regrettable even “disgusting” decisions when he was a teenager and young adult.  We’re all stupid when we are young and many times a product of our environment.  Seems like he has matured and become more without bias like as he has gotten older.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #101 on: May 20, 2023, 09:01:35 PM »
He’s trashing his allegiance to Marquette by claiming his JC as his Alma mater and saying get me out of Milwaukee. 

Oh, the humanity…..

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #102 on: May 20, 2023, 09:08:12 PM »
Oh, the humanity…..
Agree. I am no insider, but people seem to have their panties in a bunch because Jimmy had to create an edge to get motivated. Seems to be much ado about nothing

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #103 on: May 20, 2023, 11:35:21 PM »
I guess I don’t get the whole “creating an edge” thing. He has to go out of his way to more or less say “I don’t identify with MU at all” because MU is in the same city as the professional team he’s playing against? And this has been a long play and he won’t come back to MU as a result?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #104 on: May 20, 2023, 11:55:56 PM »
Marquette is at 15 posts about Jimmy since last week.

We’re definitely fighting.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #105 on: May 21, 2023, 02:32:35 AM »
Which people (other than bias) at Marquette are you talking about?

I really wasn't thinking of anyone when i posted but don't worry you're on the list  ;)
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #106 on: May 21, 2023, 02:41:18 AM »
Sounds like he made some very regrettable even “disgusting” decisions when he was a teenager and young adult.  We’re all stupid when we are young and many times a product of our environment.  Seems like he has matured and become more without bias like as he has gotten older.

Again,  I'm hesitant to label this as "stupid when young". All teenagers are stupid at times. Very few beat a man to the point that they are charged with attempted murder while calling their victim racial ephitats. And that's only one of three episodes of known racially charged acts of violence.

It's fine to give someone a second chance or say that you believe that they've matured for the better.  But you can do it without minimizing their past transgressions
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #107 on: May 21, 2023, 05:30:09 AM »
I'll be honest, the reasons don't matter. For awhile, Jimmy distanced himself from Marquette, whatever. But when you come into our house and crap on the floor, that's a bit different.

Clearly Marquette is trying to repair the breech. Jimmy is family. If Jimmy cleans up his crap and wants to be a civilized part of the family, cool. I'm all in. But as long as he's going to be the floor pooper, I'm not rooting for him. Not rooting against him either, but I'm definitely moving to the indifferent camp until he accepts the olive branch.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

El Guerrero 2

• Team Captain
« Reply #108 on: May 21, 2023, 07:03:01 AM »
People are entitled to cheer for whomever they’d like. That’s how sports works.

But if you ain’t cheering for JFB this playoff, you’re depriving yourself of a whole lot of joy watching an MU legend at his peak. All based on some perceived feud you aren’t a party to.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #109 on: May 21, 2023, 07:49:35 AM »
I'll be honest, the reasons don't matter. For awhile, Jimmy distanced himself from Marquette, whatever. But when you come into our house and crap on the floor, that's a bit different.

Clearly Marquette is trying to repair the breech. Jimmy is family. If Jimmy cleans up his crap and wants to be a civilized part of the family, cool. I'm all in. But as long as he's going to be the floor pooper, I'm not rooting for him. Not rooting against him either, but I'm definitely moving to the indifferent camp until he accepts the olive branch.

We look at family differently. I still cheer for mine during periods that are less than perfect. Putting conditions on my support seems wrong, especially when I don’t have any idea what or who caused the riff.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #110 on: May 21, 2023, 08:22:56 AM »
We look at family differently. I still cheer for mine during periods that are less than perfect. Putting conditions on my support seems wrong, especially when I don’t have any idea what or who caused the riff.

Interesting.  Then there isn’t a reason for people here not to support someone like Markus Howard or Theo John or Justin Lewis.  Unless NBA success is a requirement
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #111 on: May 21, 2023, 08:28:02 AM »
Again,  I'm hesitant to label this as "stupid when young". All teenagers are stupid at times. Very few beat a man to the point that they are charged with attempted murder while calling their victim racial ephitats. And that's only one of three episodes of known racially charged acts of violence.

It's fine to give someone a second chance or say that you believe that they've matured for the better.  But you can do it without minimizing their past transgressions

Oh I’m not totally dismissing it.  But people are complete idiots when they are young and have zero perspective on the world other than their own neighborhood. And when you are influenced by racism as a child to the degree which he probably was it’s hard to get out of and he seems to have done this despite multiple terrible decisions.  His talent and fame brought him to places and gave him opportunities that allowed him to see things differently. Not unlike many people of other backgrounds but similar insular upbringings.

What he did was terrible.  Not dismissing it.  Just offering perspective.

ghostofcorms77

• Walk-On
« Reply #112 on: May 21, 2023, 09:42:24 AM »
I think context would be very important. I didn’t like the things said in his you tube, or the fact he doesn’t work out on campus.

He’s pissed at MU, clearly. I don’t know if it’s confirmed Marquette is trying to repair what’s broken, or not.

But, Jimmy went to MU. Was a great ambassador up until recently (not sure when). And he feels wronged. I don’t think it’s crazy for someone to act up a bit, when someone wrongs them.

Like if I ever learned Jimmy had no reason to be upset, and he just stopped liking Marquette, my opinion would change slightly. But, if Marquette is at fault, I’m not blaming Jimmy whatsoever.

Until then, I’ll be glued to the tv watch 22.

FartyEightHours

• Starter
« Reply #113 on: May 21, 2023, 09:47:25 AM »
So Jimmy has gone a little crazy.  A little Ron Artest stupidness every once in awhile.  Maybe when he gets older he’ll mature. 
My adjectives are wise, brilliant, and sexy

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #114 on: May 21, 2023, 10:14:08 AM »
Because I was asked.  But I’m not sharing something I got on a board behind a paywall.

Why not? Who cares?
VIOLENCE!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #115 on: May 21, 2023, 10:18:59 AM »
Interesting.  Then there isn’t a reason for people here not to support someone like Markus Howard or Theo John or Justin Lewis.  Unless NBA success is a requirement

Correct. When Theo told MU fans to support BLM or quit rooting for MU I thought he was out of line but I didn’t stop cheering for MU or for him. Just because a guy isn’t your favorite nephew doesn’t mean you don’t wish them success.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #116 on: May 21, 2023, 10:53:57 AM »
Maybe the people who are dumping on Jimmy should reflect a little on his story and what he’s overcome. No Dad, Mom with alcohol/drug problems. She kicks him out of the house his junior year and he couch surfs at friend’s houses until one of the Moms figures things out and has him move in. He has the grades and test scores to play D1 but with no AAU exposure has no offers. So it’s JC one year before coming to MU. Gets off to a slow start (some experts on Scoop call him a wasted scholarship) but goes on to become a star at MU. Senior Day the family who “adopted” him when he was a homeless 16 year old comes in place of his parents. He graduates, becomes a first round draft choice, an NBA star and is headed for the Hall of Fame. A few talented, less than 100% effort teammates have problems with him, but the most respected coaches (Thibs, Spo) and GM (Riley) in the NBA love him and sing his praises as a player and a leader.

It’s an amazing story, the basketball version of “The Blind Side”. You don’t have to be a Marquette fan or even a basketball fan to  be a Jimmy Butler fan. The obstacles he’s overcome, the mountains he’s climbed - remarkable.

Does he have abandonment issues that go back to childhood? Sure, but I think it’s understandable. For some reason none of us know he feels MU has done just that and for now he’s responded in kind. I hope they work things out. But either way, just as it’s in my blood to root for MU, so it is to root for JFB. To not seems petty to me.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #117 on: May 21, 2023, 11:00:40 AM »
Why not? Who cares?

The person who owns the site.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #118 on: May 21, 2023, 11:01:55 AM »
Maybe the people who are dumping on Jimmy should reflect a little on his story and what he’s overcome. No Dad, Mom with alcohol/drug problems. She kicks him out of the house his junior year and he couch surfs at friend’s houses until one of the Moms figures things out and has him move in. He has the grades and test scores to play D1 but with no AAU exposure has no offers. So it’s JC one year before coming to MU. Gets off to a slow start (some experts on Scoop call him a wasted scholarship) but goes on to become a star at MU. Senior Day the family who “adopted” him when he was a homeless 16 year old comes in place of his parents. He graduates, becomes a first round draft choice, an NBA star and is headed for the Hall of Fame. A few talented, less than 100% effort teammates have problems with him, but the most respected coaches (Thibs, Spo) and GM (Riley) in the NBA love him and sing his praises as a player and a leader.

It’s an amazing story, the basketball version of “The Blind Side”. You don’t have to be a Marquette fan or even a basketball fan to  be a Jimmy Butler fan. The obstacles he’s overcome, the mountains he’s climbed - remarkable.

Does he have abandonment issues that go back to childhood? Sure, but I think it’s understandable. For some reason none of us know he feels MU has done just that and for now he’s responded in kind. I hope they work things out. But either way, just as it’s in my blood to root for MU, so it is to root for JFB. To not seems petty to me.

Let’s not go overboard here. It’s a nice story but I think we should be careful about putting professional athletes on a pedestal.

So Jimmy has gone a little crazy.  A little Ron Artest stupidness every once in awhile.  Maybe when he gets older he’ll mature. 

That’s a pretty terrible comparison
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #119 on: May 21, 2023, 11:02:53 AM »
The person who owns the site.

You didn't even have to say it was from any site.  You could have just said "I heard X, Y, Z."

You made nothing into something.
VIOLENCE!

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #120 on: May 21, 2023, 11:03:48 AM »
You didn't even have to say it was from any site.  You could have just said "I heard X, Y, Z."

I provided clarification for those who asked if it is real.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #121 on: May 21, 2023, 11:05:13 AM »
I provided clarification for those who asked if it is real.

I gotta be honest...I don't care.

It is the internet. Saying ooh oh oh...I know, but I'm not telling you, provides 0 value.
VIOLENCE!

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #122 on: May 21, 2023, 11:16:39 AM »

It is the internet. Saying ooh oh oh...I know, but I'm not telling you, provides 0 value.

You’ll survive
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #123 on: May 21, 2023, 11:17:58 AM »

It seems like you care.

But I’ll trust your expertise on the issue of zero value posts.

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #124 on: May 21, 2023, 11:37:11 AM »

You could pay for the site. It’s a reasonable cost.

feedback