[May 01, 2024, 04:53:31 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by tower912
[May 01, 2024, 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[May 01, 2024, 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[May 01, 2024, 11:32:50 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Omax declares  (Read 86623 times)

NickelDimer

• All American
Re: Omax declares
« Reply #625 on: May 17, 2023, 01:53:43 PM »
Go get that bag Omax!

Shaka gotta fill that void or our ceiling will be lowered.
No Finish Line

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #626 on: May 17, 2023, 02:01:15 PM »
Go get that bag Omax!

Shaka gotta fill that void or our ceiling will be lowered.

I mean, the ceiling will technically be lowered "no matter what". Unless you get 2 amazing players. Which i don't forsee MU  doing otherwise they would have been more active pre draft process.

Only argument would be like Julian Phillips.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #627 on: May 17, 2023, 02:03:41 PM »
Combine games have like maybe 1 or 2 first round guys. B squad games aina. Good setup for OMax to show athleticism, but i think ppl already knew him for that

Come back for JUNIOR yr, OMax!!
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #628 on: May 17, 2023, 02:07:32 PM »
I am confident Joplin will fill into OMax’s role in the starting lineup quite nicely

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #629 on: May 17, 2023, 02:09:22 PM »
He is rather stating what seems to be obvious?

All of his predictions certainly seem that way.  Kam Jones returning, Royce Parham committing to Marquette, O-Max staying in the draft...most people without any direct inside knowledge could draw these conclusions and be right.

Nothing super surprising or unexpected.

Tyler COLEk

• All American
« Reply #630 on: May 17, 2023, 02:54:27 PM »
O-Max interview coming up on ESPN 2.

21 points and 7 boards in the scrimmage. Nice to see O-Max and his agent making the right call on playing in this scrimmage. Stark contrast to Lewis last season.

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #631 on: May 17, 2023, 02:54:39 PM »
OMax w 21 and 7, getting an interview

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #632 on: May 17, 2023, 02:55:16 PM »

21 points and 7 boards in the scrimmage.

Good showing and played a team game.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #633 on: May 17, 2023, 03:00:59 PM »
I mean, the ceiling will technically be lowered "no matter what". Unless you get 2 amazing players. Which i don't forsee MU  doing otherwise they would have been more active pre draft process.

Only argument would be like Julian Phillips.
Fair. How much lower will depend on what we do with that open spot though
No Finish Line

Otule's Glass Eye

• All American
« Reply #634 on: May 17, 2023, 03:02:20 PM »
Great stock boosting performance every scout on twitter talking about him. Might’ve been enough to guarantee he now gets drafted

MU82

• All American
« Reply #635 on: May 17, 2023, 03:03:37 PM »

21 points and 7 boards in the scrimmage. Nice to see O-Max and his agent making the right call on playing in this scrimmage. Stark contrast to Lewis last season.

As 9-9-9 might say, an excellent interview. Confident young man who knows what he wants and who is willing to work his rear off to get it.

The most revealing thing he said (re his NBA/MU situation) that jumped out at me was that he wanted to get NBA feedback that would tell him what he wants to hear so "I don't have to go to college."
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #636 on: May 17, 2023, 03:21:46 PM »
I am confident Joplin will fill into OMax’s role in the starting lineup quite nicely

On offense and rebounding? Sure. On defense?  :o

We were an elite offensive team and an average defensive team last season. Our offense can't get much better, our defense could get a lot worse. Subtracting our best defender and replacing him with one of our worst defenders doesn't seem to be ideal.

To be clear, we will still be very good next season. I could also see several players making jumps defensively, plus Norman and Lowery are coming in with reputations as good defenders. I would still feel more comfortable if we added a lockdown defender with size via the portal.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #637 on: May 17, 2023, 03:26:25 PM »
1/5 from 3. Team +19, but OMax -3

Crown him
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #638 on: May 17, 2023, 03:27:47 PM »
On offense and rebounding? Sure. On defense?  :o

We were an elite offensive team and an average defensive team last season. Our offense can't get much better, our defense could get a lot worse. Subtracting our best defender and replacing him with one of our worst defenders doesn't seem to be ideal.

To be clear, we will still be very good next season. I could also see several players making jumps defensively, plus Norman and Lowery are coming in with reputations as good defenders. I would still feel more comfortable if we added a lockdown defender with size via the portal.

So for those following the portal and who is still available closely, is there anyone that fits the description of a lockdown defender with size?  Who also doesn't want to break the NIL bank? 

Would ne nice if Jop continues to get stronger but also can improve his lateral quickness but maybe that's just not in the cards.  Maybe I'm wrong but I thought Kam was quite a bit better with his on-ball defense last season - maybe Jop can take a similar step. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #639 on: May 17, 2023, 03:32:33 PM »
Great stock boosting performance every scout on twitter talking about him. Might’ve been enough to guarantee he now gets drafted

During the telecast of the scrimmage, the ESPN folks had an interesting conversation about it being better to not get drafted vs. getting drafted in the second half of the second round. They pointed to Austin Reaves, who went undrafted in 2021, chose the team he wanted to play for (the Lakers), took advantage of his 2-way contract to play 61 games with LA as a rookie, has been outstanding this season, and is now in line for a contract that could pay him $50M or more over the next 4 years.

They said his agent was working the phones on draft night begging teams NOT to take Reaves in the second round, and they said that the practice is quite common.

Is it possible that Justin Lewis' agent also was making such a plea once Lewis didn't get selected in the first half of the second round? Lewis was signed to a 2-way contract by the Bulls just minutes after the draft.

So O-Max might not need to hear teams say they'll draft him, only that teams will say they'll want to sign him to a 2-way contract if he doesn't get drafted.

He pretty obviously isn't returning to Marquette. Time for Shaka to get busy (or busier).

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #640 on: May 17, 2023, 03:36:07 PM »
During the telecast of the scrimmage, the ESPN folks had an interesting conversation about it being better to not get drafted vs. getting drafted in the second half of the second round. They pointed to Austin Reaves, who went undrafted in 2021, chose the team he wanted to play for (the Lakers), took advantage of his 2-way contract to play 61 games with LA as a rookie, has been outstanding this season, and is now in line for a contract that could pay him $50M or more over the next 4 years.

They said his agent was working the phones on draft night begging teams NOT to take Reaves in the second round, and they said that the practice is quite common.

Is it possible that Justin Lewis' agent also was making such a plea once Lewis didn't get selected in the first half of the second round? Lewis was signed to a 2-way contract by the Bulls just minutes after the draft.

So O-Max might not need to hear teams say they'll draft him, only that teams will say they'll want to sign him to a 2-way contract if he doesn't get drafted.

He pretty obviously isn't returning to Marquette. Time for Shaka to get busy (or busier).

If a team want a players draft rights…. Screw what the agent says.

You draft them, they are good. You have that player on your roster for 7-8 years anyways.

goldeneagle91114

• All American
« Reply #641 on: May 17, 2023, 03:38:53 PM »

Crown him

When Omax put up 21 & 7 with a Marquette win, we'd crown him Stud of the game!!!!

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #642 on: May 17, 2023, 03:44:00 PM »

Crown him
You are better than that. Plus minus for individual games no matta.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #643 on: May 17, 2023, 03:44:07 PM »

You draft them, they are good. You have that player on your roster for 7-8 years anyways.

Oh, I agree. If I'm the GM of the team with the 51st pick, and I want O-Max, I'm drafting him. Not gonna let someone else get him.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #644 on: May 17, 2023, 04:37:05 PM »

Come back for JUNIOR yr, OMax!!

#fakenews #lies

Just because he can take two more years doesn't mean he'd be a junior. Marquette already listed him as a junior this past year.

https://gomarquette.com/sports/mens-basketball/roster/olivier-maxence-prosper/7100
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #645 on: May 17, 2023, 04:54:26 PM »
I think JB was chumming the board in order to engage in one of his pedantic harangues.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #646 on: May 17, 2023, 04:57:25 PM »

Crown him

The 1 for 5  means something.

The +/- means nothing.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #647 on: May 17, 2023, 05:00:03 PM »

Draft picks don't sign for 7-8 years.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #648 on: May 17, 2023, 05:17:13 PM »
Goodness, this rules.

So happy for OMax. The most overshadowed player on the roster is possibly the biggest star...and he's showing it.

OMax in the afternoon, Jimmy Buckets at  night.
VIOLENCE!

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #649 on: May 17, 2023, 05:44:49 PM »
Draft picks don't sign for 7-8 years.

No they don't. First round picks sign for 4 years of team control. Second picks sign for 3 years of team control.

If the players are good, teams can extend to them a qualifying offer.

Players can either. (https://www.nba.com/news/free-agency-explained)
1. Accept his team’s prior qualifying offer, play out the season and become a free agent the next summer.
2. Accept his team’s maximum qualifying offer (where applicable) and play under that long-term deal.
3. Negotiate a new contract with his original team that is independent of the qualifying/max qualifying offer.
4. Sign an offer sheet with another team through March 1, which his original team has an opportunity to match (see below).
5. Negotiate a sign-and-trade if he hasn’t signed an offer sheet with another team.
6. If there is no qualifying offer, contract or offer sheet signed for one year, the original team can submit a new qualifying offer and the player will be a restricted free agent the next summer.

Seeing how its their first opportunity to make "real" nba money, and most contracts are fully guaranteed. Nearly every player pursues an option giving a 4 year deal. As an RFA, teams can match.

So unless the player comes from generational wealth, if a team drafts a player, it is up to the team whether they want them for 7 to 8 years.