[Today at 04:46:35 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:32:41 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:15:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Omax declares  (Read 85575 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: Omax declares
« Reply #675 on: May 21, 2023, 11:19:33 AM »
Excellent Sports Illustrated article on Omax and potential Thunder interest
https://www.si.com/nba/thunder/news/nba-draft-olivier-maxence-prosper-offers-intriguing-two-way-potential
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #676 on: May 21, 2023, 02:46:33 PM »
The Athletic's John Hollinger has a new article on which players improved their stock the most at the Combine. A large photo of O-Max is at the top of the article, just ahead of this paragraph:

Taking top honors was Marquette forward Olivier-Maxence Prosper, a big wing who didn’t show a lot offensively this season. He scored a game-high 21 points in the first day’s scrimmage and, not shockingly, pulled out of the second day. Prosper also measured 6-6 and 3/4 in socks with a 7-1 wingspan, and uncorked a 35-inch standing vertical, the second-best leap at the event. Teams are likely to go back through his tape and ask questions – how somebody this athletic could have such low rates of blocks and steals, and whether his limited feel (just 1.3 assists per 100 possessions) will be a barrier. Nonetheless, he may have played himself into the back end of the first round.

Lots of very interesting observations in that one paragraph, including some criticism of O-Max's relative lack of production at MU and capped by the forecast of where he might be drafted. Which is much higher than most of us thought possible.

One of the things that frustrated me about OMax last season was how he could drive into the lane almost at will and then.... stop.   Didn't explode to the rim.   Because everyone knew he would do a two footed jump stop, he rarely drew extra defenders.  I was looking forward to watching him posterize defenders at the rim and/or start looking for open shooters or cutters.   That will have to happen at the next level.

Agreed on both counts. I feel like O-Max has the athletic tools to be much better than we saw at Marquette. It didn't shock me to see him at the tail-end of the too-early mock drafts last year, he just has the frame and hops to play in the league. But definitely a guy who has a lot of room to grow. Most NBA prospects wash out, and I could see that being a possibility, but if O-Max grew into an NBA starter or more, it wouldn't surprise me. All the tools are there to be very good.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

ATWizJr

• All American
« Reply #677 on: May 22, 2023, 04:45:09 AM »
Apparently we under utilized him.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #678 on: May 22, 2023, 01:24:58 PM »
If OMax knows that he isn’t going to return why hasn’t he announced it yet?

Good combine with good press, seems like it would be logical to announce his intention to stay in the draft shortly after in order to keep the momentum going no?

I think he has until the end of this month to decide if I’m not mistaken

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #679 on: May 22, 2023, 01:46:46 PM »

Good combine with good press, seems like it would be logical to announce his intention to stay in the draft shortly after in order to keep the momentum going no?

I think he has until the end of this month to decide if I’m not mistaken

On the other hand, not saying anything doesn't cost him anything so why do it?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #680 on: May 22, 2023, 01:57:16 PM »

#slOMax

More information coming… from teams and lay of the land (eg if certain other players elect to withdraw, does that push him toward staying?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Aughnanure

• All American
« Reply #681 on: May 22, 2023, 02:53:51 PM »
New CBS College Basketball podcast leads with OMax’s performance at the combine.

Kyle Boone puts him into projected 1st round pick.

Amari Bailey and Olivier-Maxence Prosper among the 2023 NBA Draft Combine Winners; Emoni Bates and Zach Edey are draft unknowns (NBA Draft 05/22)
https://open.spotify.com/episode/1s51Tmbr1e1Hu1I0W8gj3w
“All men dream; but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act out their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible.” - T.E. Lawrence

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #682 on: May 22, 2023, 03:00:14 PM »
Kyle Boone puts him into projected 1st round pick.

He also had Banchero #3 and Justin #39 a week before the 2022 draft

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #683 on: May 23, 2023, 09:42:08 AM »
Charles Bediako staying in draft. Can’t wait for OMax to announce his return 2 #muMbb

Goose

• All American
« Reply #684 on: May 23, 2023, 10:47:20 AM »
Jay Bee

I think that your Omax back to MU post might be brought back up in the offseason 6 years down the road.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #685 on: May 23, 2023, 11:37:32 AM »
It'd be awesome if he stayed, but he's going to get drafted. There's no reason for him to.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #686 on: May 23, 2023, 11:49:49 AM »
Come back, boost reb %’s and the very bizarre blk%, and feel like I’ve got a guaranteed contract a year from now

Markusquette

• All American
« Reply #687 on: May 23, 2023, 12:20:11 PM »
He is not coming back to MU.

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #688 on: May 23, 2023, 12:23:25 PM »
It'd be awesome if he stayed, but he's going to get drafted. There's no reason for him to.

There are plenty of reasons.

Doesn’t mean he will stay, but it also doesn’t mean he will go, until he announces one way or the other.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #689 on: May 23, 2023, 03:42:11 PM »
FANTA: so OMax, after such a strong showing at the NBA combine, and the apparent meteoric rise in your draft stock, why did you decide to return to MU?

OMAX: my block %. The NBA Scouts, my family, my coach, my teammates…….we all felt my block % needs alot of work…..and I feel another year in college would really help with that.  ::)

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #690 on: May 23, 2023, 05:29:50 PM »
FANTA: so OMax, after such a strong showing at the NBA combine, and the apparent meteoric rise in your draft stock, why did you decide to return to MU?

OMAX: my block %. The NBA Scouts, my family, my coach, my teammates…….we all felt my block % needs alot of work…..and I feel another year in college would really help with that.  ::)

yes block percentage... that stat that 100% doesn't matter unless you are a center. And even when you are a center is occasionally doesn't matter if you suck at rebounding and generating steals.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #691 on: May 23, 2023, 05:44:47 PM »
yes block percentage... that stat that 100% doesn't matter unless you are a center. And even when you are a center is occasionally doesn't matter if you suck at rebounding and generating steals.

#FakeNews #Lies

Blk% has a stronger correlations NCAA to NBA than most other stats and has a strong relative correlation to NBA draft position, which is what we’re talking about here.

“Why doesn’t he block shots?” is a question being asked

This year, he’d be in the draft hoping to get a guaranteed contract but not sure if he will. A year demonstrating improvement could put him into a diff position next year — IF a guaranteed NBA contract is of high importance to him… there are reasons to return

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #692 on: May 23, 2023, 06:50:30 PM »
#FakeNews #Lies

Blk% has a stronger correlations NCAA to NBA than most other stats and has a strong relative correlation to NBA draft position, which is what we’re talking about here.

“Why doesn’t he block shots?” is a question being asked

This year, he’d be in the draft hoping to get a guaranteed contract but not sure if he will. A year demonstrating improvement could put him into a diff position next year — IF a guaranteed NBA contract is of high importance to him… there are reasons to return
Block % in the NCAA correlating to Block % in the NBA, does not mean it matters as much as other stats when it comes to defense.
Especially for non centers.

Block % is indicative of getting blocks.

It’s a less correlated state for defensive output than others.

Steal percentage and forcing missed shots are probably the two most important. But that fluctuates if the player is center or not.

Block percentage is a decently long way down the list of stats you look for a 3/4 wing.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #693 on: May 23, 2023, 06:54:56 PM »
Blk% transfers and correlates to a higher draft position. For a 6’8” listed guy w a measured 7’1” wingspan, his blk% is a significant outlier.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #694 on: May 23, 2023, 06:56:11 PM »
Blk% transfers and correlates to a higher draft position. For a 6’8” listed guy w a measured 7’1” wingspan, his blk% is a significant outlier.
But, was used a lot on the perimeter.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #695 on: May 23, 2023, 07:00:30 PM »
But, was used a lot on the perimeter.

Significant outlier … should have said extreme outlier.

His blk% was the same as Tyler, Stevie and Kam

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #696 on: May 23, 2023, 07:05:08 PM »
Blk% no matta
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #697 on: May 24, 2023, 09:42:38 AM »
Sam Vecenie of The Athletic named O-Max as one of the two players who helped himself the most during the Combine (Belmont's Ben Sheppard was the other):

Olivier-Maxence Prosper | 6-foot-8 wing | Marquette | Ranking: No. 35

Every year, guys perform exceedingly well in the first game of the combine then decide to sit out the second game after showing out. Prosper was that player this season, scoring 21 points on 11 shots while grabbing 11 rebounds and calling it a day. Above all, Prosper just looked the part. His athleticism and size stood out.

Measuring 6-foot-6 3/4 without shoes and an enormous 7-1 wingspan, he has the ideal measurements for a defensively conscious wing. His tape at Marquette backs that up as well, where he was often used as a stopper on opposing teams’ best perimeter players, such as Connecticut’s Jordan Hawkins. It’s harder than people think to find guys with legitimate size, length and athleticism on the wing like this, especially when they have upside to shoot it. Prosper made just 34 percent of his 3s this past season and only hit one-of-five from 3 in the scrimmage, so teams will want to keep a close on eye on how that continues to develop throughout his workout circuit. Teams also generally want to see more from Prosper as a decision-maker and passer and want to learn more about his overall feel for the game.

Prosper showcased in the scrimmages that he’s comfortable handling the ball, something he didn’t get a chance to show at Marquette. He had a few moments of escape dribbles and downhill attacks. He’s not exactly a shot creator out there, but he looks to have more game attacking closeouts and getting out in transition than meets the eye. And his ability to attack downhill and cover ground quickly saw him draw 12 free-throw attempts. Mix this with the defense that we know is high level, and it’s easy to see why Prosper is someone who excites NBA teams. He’s also really smart with a professional demeanor and mindset that was impressive in front of NBA personnel last week.

Prosper came the closest to ticking just about every box he could have. If the shot would have been there and looked truly consistent and comfortable, and he would have dished out a few high-level passing reads, he might have skied further up the board for teams. Still, expect him to be a name in the mix for teams starting somewhere in the 20s, and it’s hard to see him getting beyond the early 40s at this point. There’s a big group of players jockeying for position in that range, but Prosper firmly solidified himself as one of them.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #698 on: May 24, 2023, 10:03:08 AM »
Sam Vecenie of The Athletic named O-Max as one of the two players who helped himself the most during the Combine (Belmont's Ben Sheppard was the other):

Olivier-Maxence Prosper | 6-foot-8 wing | Marquette | Ranking: No. 35

Every year, guys perform exceedingly well in the first game of the combine then decide to sit out the second game after showing out. Prosper was that player this season, scoring 21 points on 11 shots while grabbing 11 rebounds and calling it a day. Above all, Prosper just looked the part. His athleticism and size stood out.

Measuring 6-foot-6 3/4 without shoes and an enormous 7-1 wingspan, he has the ideal measurements for a defensively conscious wing. His tape at Marquette backs that up as well, where he was often used as a stopper on opposing teams’ best perimeter players, such as Connecticut’s Jordan Hawkins. It’s harder than people think to find guys with legitimate size, length and athleticism on the wing like this, especially when they have upside to shoot it. Prosper made just 34 percent of his 3s this past season and only hit one-of-five from 3 in the scrimmage, so teams will want to keep a close on eye on how that continues to develop throughout his workout circuit. Teams also generally want to see more from Prosper as a decision-maker and passer and want to learn more about his overall feel for the game.

Prosper showcased in the scrimmages that he’s comfortable handling the ball, something he didn’t get a chance to show at Marquette. He had a few moments of escape dribbles and downhill attacks. He’s not exactly a shot creator out there, but he looks to have more game attacking closeouts and getting out in transition than meets the eye. And his ability to attack downhill and cover ground quickly saw him draw 12 free-throw attempts. Mix this with the defense that we know is high level, and it’s easy to see why Prosper is someone who excites NBA teams. He’s also really smart with a professional demeanor and mindset that was impressive in front of NBA personnel last week.

Prosper came the closest to ticking just about every box he could have. If the shot would have been there and looked truly consistent and comfortable, and he would have dished out a few high-level passing reads, he might have skied further up the board for teams. Still, expect him to be a name in the mix for teams starting somewhere in the 20s, and it’s hard to see him getting beyond the early 40s at this point. There’s a big group of players jockeying for position in that range, but Prosper firmly solidified himself as one of them.

Hmmm... If they don't mention his block % in the scrimmage it's all just damning him with faint praise.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #699 on: May 24, 2023, 10:48:37 AM »
I don't think anyone who watched him throughout his time at Marquette is surprised to see him be able to attack a closeout and get downhill attacks.  I think he just didn't get many hard closeouts because you'll live with the OMax three over his straight line drives to the rim.  That's where he struggled, was teams scouted that he was a straight line driver and then got stuck once they cut the drive off.  He'd stop with the ball in the middle of the lane and not really have anywhere to go with it.

Would be interesting to see if he could develop a secondary move out of the straight line drive and develop the 3 point jumper to be consistent enough to get those hard closeouts consistently, where would he wind up being drafted next year?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

feedback