[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Omax declares  (Read 86515 times)

1318WWells

• Starter
Re: Omax declares
« Reply #250 on: April 14, 2023, 12:38:49 PM »
Though, the first year was more out of necessity. Last year was no big splash with Wrightsil coming from an NAIA school. And, nothing yet this year.

Unfortunately we didn’t get to see what kind of splash Wrightsil was brought in for due to injury. At a minimum, he pushed players to get better over last summer thinking they were competing with him for playing time.

Keep bringing in as much talent as you can and let them compete for playing time. Injuries will happen, need depth behind. No guarantees on playing time. Should all be part of the culture to continue improving.

94Warrior

• All American
« Reply #251 on: April 14, 2023, 01:04:09 PM »
I didn’t read thru all 11 pages, but is there any possibility of Wrightsil returning to eat some of O-Max’s mins?

Obviously Shaka felt good enough about Zach to bring him here in the first place, why not??? 

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #252 on: April 14, 2023, 01:47:29 PM »
I didn’t read thru all 11 pages, but is there any possibility of Wrightsil returning to eat some of O-Max’s mins?

Obviously Shaka felt good enough about Zach to bring him here in the first place, why not???

That as before he was out almost all year with a knee; couple of surgeries, etc
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #253 on: April 14, 2023, 01:59:40 PM »

Honestly, watching Wrightsil on the bench and seeing him in the locker room with the guys, if Shaka finds himself with an open scholarship, I'd have no objection to him using it on Zach even if he's not going to play next year. I think he contributed quite a beat to the team this past season even without being on the floor. I think he was my wife's second favorite player on the team (behind Kam).

I suspect Zach might be looking for something more, however.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #254 on: April 14, 2023, 02:17:40 PM »
Yeah, if Chase and Jop are a net positive over OMax, what the hell was Shaka doing this year? I really like Chase and Jop, but there is a reason OMax was starting.
It is not last year, it is next season. If could very well be that Jop and Ross are a net positive next year.
Just like last year's team did not need Lewis.

Besides Jop and Ross it gives some freshmen a chance to play.

Omax was the player that frustrated me the most, so I am not crying if he leaves.

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #255 on: April 14, 2023, 02:22:29 PM »

Yet he's used it both of his off-seasons here.

Lol, neither situation was remotely comparable.

First year - Brand new coach coming in, had no existing relationships from which he could build. Used to portal to build a long-term core of the team.
Second year - Brought in one D2 guy who absolutely no one had penciled in jumping any player from the original core team

tower912

• All American
« Reply #256 on: April 14, 2023, 02:25:53 PM »
Typical MU fan.    I didn't like the guy with the best chance of playing in the league.   Better off without him.     Except, the qualities that are most desirable to NBA teams are what next year's team will miss the most.     6'8 players who can guard 5 positions and also throw an inbounds pass and get then get the game winning follow tip-in 6 seconds later are not a dime a dozen. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #257 on: April 14, 2023, 02:47:39 PM »
Typical MU fan.    I didn't like the guy with the best chance of playing in the league.   Better off without him.     Except, the qualities that are most desirable to NBA teams are what next year's team will miss the most.     6'8 players who can guard 5 positions and also throw an inbounds pass and get then get the game winning follow tip-in 6 seconds later are not a dime a dozen.

Correct.

If Omax is gone we are losing our 2nd best player.

Sorry guys, its going to be very difficult to replace him with anyone on the roster, and I doubt anyone that would be getting a call from the portal would be better than he is.

The mental gymnastics that people go through around here are hilarious.  Omax is a borderline NBA player.  Those dudes don't just fall out of the sky.

panda

• All American
« Reply #258 on: April 14, 2023, 02:57:32 PM »
I’d be a lot more concerned if we lost Tyler or oso. There is no suitable replacement for those two whereas we have three capable replacements which all bring varied looks on both ends of the floor. None of those three can replicate his defensive length but they will offer at minimum, a net neutral and imo a net positive impact as a whole.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #259 on: April 14, 2023, 03:03:51 PM »
Correct.

If Omax is gone we are losing our 2nd best player.

Sorry guys, its going to be very difficult to replace him with anyone on the roster, and I doubt anyone that would be getting a call from the portal would be better than he is.

The mental gymnastics that people go through around here are hilarious.  Omax is a borderline NBA player.  Those dudes don't just fall out of the sky.

2nd best player?  No, strongly disagree there.  But if he goes it's a big loss, specifically on defense.  We have no one else with his combination of length and athleticism that is as versatile defensively. 

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #260 on: April 14, 2023, 03:10:35 PM »
Yeah, Omax definitely frustrates me the most of the regulars by far. But thats because of his skillset and overall potential.

Anyone who thinks he wouldnt be a loss or would shrug off him being gone from next years team is nuts. Completely changes the D.

And still does plenty on offense. Solid at the line, about the only guy who even got there and great inside the arc with his athleticism even if he falls over 85% of time.

Hope he returns
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #261 on: April 14, 2023, 03:14:07 PM »
1. OMax not returning would be a loss.
2. Good programs lose top players every year and remain good programs.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #262 on: April 14, 2023, 03:14:20 PM »
Yeah, Omax definitely frustrates me the most of the regulars by far. But thats because of his skillset and overall potential.

Anyone who thinks he wouldnt be a loss or would shrug off him being gone from next years team is nuts. Completely changes the D.

And still does plenty on offense. Solid at the line, about the only guy who even got there and great inside the arc with his athleticism even if he falls over 85% of time.

Hope he returns
I do as well. He is an integral part of the success of this 22-23 team. But, of course, that’s his decision and his future. But would surely love to have him back for another run.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #263 on: April 14, 2023, 03:19:10 PM »
I love O-Max and what he does for this team. I think he's the difference between the #1 overall and merely a top-10 ranking. That said, I think Kolek & Oso are the most irreplaceable players. Joplin & Gold would ease that blow. The strength of this team is still the team.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

SonOfWarrior

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #264 on: April 14, 2023, 03:25:30 PM »
Everyone is replaceable.  You need to trust in the system and the ability for everyone to adapt. 

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #265 on: April 14, 2023, 03:30:43 PM »
nm
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

• All American
« Reply #266 on: April 14, 2023, 03:35:11 PM »
Second year - Brought in one D2 guy who absolutely no one had penciled in jumping any player from the original core team

I don't know how you are defining "original core team," but I think plenty of people thought he would play a major role on this team.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Viper

• All American
« Reply #267 on: April 14, 2023, 03:37:11 PM »
Shaka doesn’t recruit. Shaka selects. Winning.

panda

• All American
« Reply #268 on: April 14, 2023, 03:48:56 PM »
I love O-Max and what he does for this team. I think he's the difference between the #1 overall and merely a top-10 ranking. That said, I think Kolek & Oso are the most irreplaceable players. Joplin & Gold would ease that blow. The strength of this team is still the team.

1000%

• All American
« Reply #269 on: April 14, 2023, 03:49:18 PM »
I don't know how you are defining "original core team," but I think plenty of people thought he would play a major role on this team.

So lawdog found the minutes distribution topic.  Of the eight people who made specific guesses three picked him in the top five, three picked him sixth, one seventh and one eighth.

Seems like a lot of people viewed him as jumping a "core player" before he got here.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #270 on: April 14, 2023, 03:53:35 PM »
Watching OMax this year and projecting his development reminds me a lot of junior year Wes.  Earlier in his MU career, Wes was third fiddle behind Dom and Jerel, and sometimes looked to be moving through cement compared to the dynamicism of the other two. But he had an NBA frame and a ton of hustle and heart, and as he got older and stronger it clicked and he became a great defender and NBA prospect.  Considering that Omax has an extra 3 inches on Wes and averaged an extra 3PA per game last year vs Wes, and shot a higher %, I can see why he would be bullish on his prospects as an NBA wing.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #271 on: April 14, 2023, 03:56:59 PM »
1. OMax not returning would be a loss.
2. Good programs lose top players every year and remain good programs.

This.

And this.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #272 on: April 14, 2023, 04:17:07 PM »
I recall all the wailing and gnashing of teeth a year ago when Justin left.  Somehow we managed to win the conference without him or any transfers that got playing time.

I trust Shaka to make it work.
Have some patience, FFS.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #273 on: April 14, 2023, 04:37:15 PM »
I recall all the wailing and gnashing of teeth a year ago when Justin left.  Somehow we managed to win the conference without him or any transfers that got playing time.

I trust Shaka to make it work.

Amen, Chick. Amen.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #274 on: April 14, 2023, 04:40:07 PM »
I think Omax is sore important piece than people are giving him credit for. Removing the best defender from an average defense is usually not a good thing. Joplin improved defensively towards the end of last season but I don't think he can get to OMaxs level defensively.

I still think the answer is to get a Kur. Whether or not Omax comes back
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback