[Today at 02:25:05 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by MU82
[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Omax declares  (Read 86522 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: Omax declares
« Reply #225 on: April 13, 2023, 02:57:35 PM »
I think Shaka goes after a back up center for oso. Allows BG flexibility to play in a more perimeter oriented role on the offensive end.

I think this is a good idea
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #226 on: April 13, 2023, 02:58:31 PM »
wades

I am a big Omax fan and I agree with you. In addition, if replaced by Chase or Joplin it takes one less option off the bench. Aside from his defense, he also had some size. If he is not replaced, my expectations for next year drop quite a bit. I do not believe that Shaka would roll the dice on not replacing him, but time will tell.

Good point on one less bench option when you move Chase or Joplin to the starting spot.  Agreed on everything else.  I doubt this is taking Shaka by surprise.  I'd expect Shaka either has a good idea that OMax will return, or has a plan for his replacement.  For one, Shaka does not seem like a guy who is unprepared.  For two, he's dealt with early departures plenty at Texas.  And for three, I think at least one of the three guys that entered into the portal probably would not have done so if OMax's spot wasn't already accounted for (by OMax or someone else).
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #227 on: April 13, 2023, 03:14:37 PM »
wades

I am a big Omax fan and I agree with you. In addition, if replaced by Chase or Joplin it takes one less option off the bench. Aside from his defense, he also had some size. If he is not replaced, my expectations for next year drop quite a bit. I do not believe that Shaka would roll the dice on not replacing him, but time will tell.

Goose, I think he is gone because he probably can get a two way deal, I can see Ross getting more time, Joplin needs to really work on his game this summer, to shore up some of his weaknesses.  Shaka needs a body, a wing or center, that has some experience

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #228 on: April 13, 2023, 03:16:08 PM »
Net positive?  No, and that is absolutely not a dig at Ross or Jop.

Yeah, if Chase and Jop are a net positive over OMax, what the hell was Shaka doing this year? I really like Chase and Jop, but there is a reason OMax was starting.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

Carl

• Team Captain
« Reply #229 on: April 13, 2023, 03:16:53 PM »
They are different players, but just like
J. Lewis, he will not get drafted.  No way. 

I hope he does well, but fear he will just be another in the long list of guys that never see the NBA in any real sense …

Lewis
Vander … etc etc

At bare minimum, he is going to be a force in the TBT in a few years!

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #230 on: April 13, 2023, 03:57:31 PM »
Quote from: Silkk the Shaka link=topic=64742.msg1545250#msg1545250 date=
Curious how this is enforced? As in, you can't say something like "come to Miami, we will give you a $500k NIL deal" but can you say, "there's no guarantee and we can't promise anyone anything but talk to the three guys that were in your exact situation last year and ask them what they got *wink* then make your own decision" which is virtually indistinguishable?

This should have been obvious from the start.  While some here promised that the new rules specifically prohibited NIL from being contingent on playing for any particular school, smart people were always going to figure out how to comply with the letter of the law while having the practical effect of tying NIL to attending a specific program.

The various athletic departments, boosters, AAU coaches, and handlers have all figured out the white space, and the proposals that seem to be running rampant this year are pretty likely to be fully vetted and compliant.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #231 on: April 13, 2023, 04:10:06 PM »
BC

I definitely think Omax is gone. We need a big, athletic guy to fill that spot. I doubt if that spot will go unused.

oilcan

• Team Captain
« Reply #232 on: April 13, 2023, 06:09:44 PM »
Thank you Jay Bee for the history on Will Baker. I do know he was a top 40 recruit for Smart. Texas had a lot of talent. Baker went to Nevada and just this past year made 3rd team Mountain West Conference. He didn't meet expectations. Still he's tall and you have to take a look if you want to get bigger. What are his expectations after starting at Nevada? He has graduate student expectations academically. So I don't think he's expecting too many minutes if he's in the right situation. Mu is the right situation because they are going to be ranked in the top 10 next year.

It will be difficult to replace OMax if he leaves. He did a great job defensively last year and that might have gone unnoticed. I talked about his ability offensively a number of times. He reminded me of Dennis Rodman without the colorful hair. He would come in from the wing and attack the basket and score or just flop on the floor. He needs another year at MU to develop and learn to control himself and keep his balance. Sometimes I would think just look at this guy fall on his face and not be able to get back on defense and then he would hit a three when the team needed it.
I would hope he comes back and would not change or tinker too much. Smart has the athletes he needs and some of them just need more minutes to be sustain the effort necessary to compete at this level.

And never ever disrupt the triangle offense Smart has with Oso, Tyler and Kam Jones. Gold needs more minutes and Jop does too. And good kids are coming in next year. Fear not my friends. If Omax is gone it's next man up, as they say. I say it's player development and it's good in the long run.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #233 on: April 14, 2023, 10:03:34 AM »
Demarius Owens seems to be the future replacement for Omax in Shaka’s system.  From that Rivals article he is “hyper athletic”, plays an above the rim and 6’7”.  Joplin is a skilled shooter who is similar height.  But can’t fill this “hyper athletic” role.

Too bad Demarius is not coming next year.  To be the best team possible next year we need to fill the “hyperathletic” wing role with Omax coming back or a portal move.  Ross is hyper athletic from the guard spot and will fill that role really well.  But at 6’5” can’t do what Omax did for us against similarly tall wings defensively.  And offensively his length is important as well (offensive rebounding, had several important tip ins this year) and Omax could finish at the rim with either hand with force that prevented being blocked at the rim. 

Agree with Goose and Wades that for MU to be the best version of itself next year Omax needs to return or be replaced in the portal. Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #234 on: April 14, 2023, 10:14:41 AM »
Shooter

I have said a few times that if an Omax replacement does not happen, I do not think Shaka believed this was a top five team next year. If that is the case, I hope he gets an experienced guy that has upside and multiple years to play at MU. To be honest, if everyone, including Omax returned, I am not certain they are a top five team next year. I think the potential is there, but hard for me to say it is a slam dunk.

If Omax is gone and Shaka lands a top portal guy, I am all in on the offseason hype. I say that because it would be an indication to me that Shaka thinks they can be the real deal.  IMO, they need a high energy, athletic guy with size that can help on defensive side of the ball. If he can score 10+ a game it would be a bonus.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #235 on: April 14, 2023, 10:29:27 AM »
This will definitely be an interesting case study on how Shaka will handle the fine tuning of a potential top ten caliber team now and in the future. 

Love that we even get to discuss this.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #236 on: April 14, 2023, 10:42:41 AM »
Shooter

I agree. Replacing a player if you are top 20-30 team is different than top 5, IMO. I do not think MU can have top 5 success without utilizing the portal when needed. Plus, I have to believe that every year there are guys in the portal that fit Shaka's culture and style of play. I think recruiting kids from the portal that were once targets is the best path to success because they were originally recruited because they checked the boxes on things Shaka looks for in a player.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #237 on: April 14, 2023, 10:47:21 AM »
Even if we don't replace OMax, this is easily a top 10 team.

Obviously, with OMax, we were a top 5 team.

Maybe we can make up for it in the portal, maybe not. Either way, this has not lessened my excitement for next year.

nyg

• All American
« Reply #238 on: April 14, 2023, 10:49:13 AM »
Thank you Jay Bee for the history on Will Baker. I do know he was a top 40 recruit for Smart. Texas had a lot of talent. Baker went to Nevada and just this past year made 3rd team Mountain West Conference. He didn't meet expectations. Still he's tall and you have to take a look if you want to get bigger. What are his expectations after starting at Nevada? He has graduate student expectations academically. So I don't think he's expecting too many minutes if he's in the right situation. Mu is the right situation because they are going to be ranked in the top 10 next year.

It will be difficult to replace OMax if he leaves. He did a great job defensively last year and that might have gone unnoticed. I talked about his ability offensively a number of times. He reminded me of Dennis Rodman without the colorful hair. He would come in from the wing and attack the basket and score or just flop on the floor. He needs another year at MU to develop and learn to control himself and keep his balance. Sometimes I would think just look at this guy fall on his face and not be able to get back on defense and then he would hit a three when the team needed it.
I would hope he comes back and would not change or tinker too much. Smart has the athletes he needs and some of them just need more minutes to be sustain the effort necessary to compete at this level.

And never ever disrupt the triangle offense Smart has with Oso, Tyler and Kam Jones. Gold needs more minutes and Jop does too. And good kids are coming in next year. Fear not my friends. If Omax is gone it's next man up, as they say. I say it's player development and it's good in the long run.

Baker had no mention of MU whatsoever in his process.  He just committed to LSU. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #239 on: April 14, 2023, 10:52:26 AM »
Coleman

If Omax is gone and no replacement, I think there will be a better chance for disappointment over being a top 10 team. That said, being a top 20 team would not surprise me, but too big of a missing piece and one less bench player to be top 10, IMO.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #240 on: April 14, 2023, 10:54:18 AM »
This portal thing is going to be very revealing.  I hope college sports aren’t ruined by it. It may go thru some growing pains such that initially players will be playing for themselves.  Unless you’ve got a coach(which I believe we do) who can and will inform the TEAM that any stray from the TEAM gets you slivers from the pines. Not getting the PT would obviously disallow one from showcasing their talents…go coaches go!!

Somehow I think a guy like wojo would fare even worse in this system duhhhhh
don't...don't don't don't don't

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #241 on: April 14, 2023, 10:55:11 AM »
Baker had no mention of MU whatsoever in his process.  He just committed to LSU.

Baker made sense for Shaka pre-Nevada Smith. But he transferred after playing sparsely his freshman year, then Smith arrived. I don't think he fits the style of big Shaka wants with this system. Not much of a rim protector, not sure he's quick enough for the defensive switches. What they did at Texas in Shaka's first five years he made sense for, but what Shaka has done the past 3 years, less so.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #242 on: April 14, 2023, 10:55:57 AM »
Coleman

If Omax is gone and no replacement, I think there will be a better chance for disappointment over being a top 10 team. That said, being a top 20 team would not surprise me, but too big of a missing piece and one less bench player to be top 10, IMO.

Top 20 teams make it to sweet 16, elite 8 and final 4 too goose
don't...don't don't don't don't

Tha Hound

• All American
« Reply #243 on: April 14, 2023, 11:09:34 AM »
Coleman

I just don’t understand why you, someone who was in on Shaka and his “family” and “relationships” MO so early, are pushing so hard for him to use the portal to bring in a starting caliber player to jump one of the guys who should be next up. We’ve heard it straight from Shakas mouth dozens of times now: we’re not going to be a big portal team.

I want to win and take advantage of this really promising team as much as the next guy. But when we’ve gotten to this point in two years, the exact way Shaka said we would, you don’t move away from that the first time you face some adversity.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #244 on: April 14, 2023, 11:17:18 AM »
We’ve used the portal every year to attempt to get better.  Shaka has cultivated a strong culture.  If not for injury the portal would have changed up mins this year.

These things are all true and don’t need to conflict. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #245 on: April 14, 2023, 11:17:41 AM »
Tha Hound

I do not think getting a portal guy with 2-3 years of eligibility is changing the culture or the plan for the program. My guess is MU is likely to lose 1-2 guys every year to the draft or portal and that is life. I definitely am 100% in on Shaka's plan and do think getting a high character portal guy when needed can fit that plan.

As for one of the guys are next guy up, if they are up to the task I am all for it. If not, that is when you get a portal guy. Plus, if Joplin is that next guy up, who replaces his role from this year on the team going forward? I am not in favor of flat out recruiting over guys, but recruiting to fill role is pretty important in my book.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #246 on: April 14, 2023, 12:05:24 PM »
If O-Max doesn't return, we'll see how Shaka adapts.  I'm not necessarily expecting an O-Max type impact transfer.

Joplin would naturally ascend to a starting spot and Gold would take Joplin's old role of first F off the bench.  If Gold skyrockets past Joplin, that would be a pleasant surprise and boost next year's ceiling.

Amadou is a bit raw, so probably need at least one more player for depth.  Injuries and foul trouble would be a concern.

Without O-Max, I'm sure Shaka would scheme differently.  Joplin won't be spearheading a press or guarding primary offensive weapons.  Maybe we'd see some 4 guard lineups in certain situations to make up for O-Max's loss.  Maybe some different zone schemes mixed in.

At any rate, I trust Shaka to adapt his scheme to his roster.  What pieces he tries to add will be up to Shaka.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #247 on: April 14, 2023, 12:12:19 PM »
I just don’t understand why you, someone who was in on Shaka and his “family” and “relationships” MO so early, are pushing so hard for him to use the portal to bring in a starting caliber player to jump one of the guys who should be next up. We’ve heard it straight from Shakas mouth dozens of times now: we’re not going to be a big portal team.

Yet he's used it both of his off-seasons here.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #248 on: April 14, 2023, 12:18:42 PM »

Yet he's used it both of his off-seasons here.
Though, the first year was more out of necessity. Last year was no big splash with Wrightsil coming from an NAIA school. And, nothing yet this year.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #249 on: April 14, 2023, 12:35:35 PM »
Though, the first year was more out of necessity. Last year was no big splash with Wrightsil coming from an NAIA school. And, nothing yet this year.

Thanks for confirming the accuracy of my statement!
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

feedback