[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Michigan St Discussion Game Time 4:15 CT  (Read 7016 times)

TVDirector

• All American
Re: Michigan St Discussion Game Time 4:15 CT
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2023, 01:40:50 PM »
Posed the question on Dodds' board.   Dodds says Brett Roseboro at UMBC.   But he never played at MU, so....

Ron Howard at Valparaiso?
Theo?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2023, 01:42:46 PM »
This is essentially going to be a road game with all The Sparty fans and everyone else wanting to see a 2 seed toppled. We proved we can win these games .

I am not convinced that the crowd will be quite as pro-MSU as everyone seems to expect. I know MU is the 2-seed, but MSU is the traditional powerhouse in the matchup (just like potentially Kentucky and Duke in later rounds). People who "know ball" know that MU is the better team this year and the favorite in this game, but I think a lot of people in the crowd will still view MU as the underdog against the mighty MSU and Izzo. Also, a lot of people around Ohio aren't overly fond of the state up north. I know that it's not those pretty boys from Ann Arbor...but it's  almost as bad.

I don't doubt that MSU is going to represent well in Columbus and they'll have a large and loud group of fans. But I think MU will have more support than some are expecting. And I think most of the non-MSU people will be pulling for MU. I hope so, anyway. I'll try to do my part.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2023, 01:54:24 PM »
There is hardly going to be anyone there because of the second game. (FDU v FAU). It will be a MSU crowd because they are physically closer and because Big 10 homers will be pulling for them.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2023, 02:04:16 PM »
IMHO, people are over estimating  the effect of a pseudo home crowd in the tournament.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2023, 02:06:00 PM »
Tom Izzo is a bad person.  Bury him
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2023, 02:07:58 PM »
IMHO, people are over estimating  the effect of a pseudo home crowd in the tournament.

Agreed. I don’t think it was much of a factor in the BET either.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2023, 02:10:03 PM »
Agreed. I don’t think it was much of a factor in the BET either.

It’s surprising how many Michigan State fans get early release to attend games or get the weekend off from delivering pizzas
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2023, 02:26:56 PM »
It will be a MSU crowd because they are physically closer and because Big 10 homers will be pulling for them.

I don't doubt that MSU will be a larger group than anyone else, but I don't think it will be an overwhelmingly MSU crowd. It's not like it's going to be 85/15 or anything. It'll be comparable to UConn at MSG which didn't seem overwhelming to me from where I was sitting. Were they the bigger group? Sure. But not like playing an actual road game.

I don’t think it was much of a factor in the BET either.

I agree. This team can roll with it.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2023, 02:40:06 PM »
It’s surprising how many Michigan State fans get early release to attend games or get the weekend off from delivering pizzas
Glorious.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2023, 02:57:21 PM »
Talking to Ohio State fans here it sounds like they don’t give a damn about conference (“we our are own team”) and will cheer for Marquette. So there’s that.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 09:23:25 PM by TallTitan34 »

DavidBoone2inchesTaller

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2023, 03:16:22 PM »
This MU team is in one of those grooves that you see from teams making deep runs in the NCAA Tournament.

A team in a groove like this 'Quette team will typically only hit a road block against a team with one of these four qualities: overwhelming height, overwhelming length and athleticism on the wing, an incredible shooting team, or an incredible difference in terms of the quality of coaches.

This MSU team is none of these. It does not have height and it does not have the long athletic wings it's had in the past. Yes, it shoots the 3ball well, but it does not take a lot of three point shots and overall it shoots the ball below average.

It terms of coaching, Coach Izzo has experience and a National Title, but I don't see a big difference between him and Smart Coach.

Not only is the 'Quette in a groove, but I believe they are bigger and more athletic than MSU.

Anything can happen but simple logic tells me that if the 'Quette continues to play "its game" and plays solid perimeter team defense in this game tomorrow, I see them advancing to the Sweet Sixteen and for MSU I see it being curtains!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 05:06:03 PM by DavidBoone2inchesTaller »
DavidBoone2InchesTaller was a Senior Message Board Poster at MarquetteHoops.com for 17 yrs.. He made over 10,000 posts with an accuracy rate of 99.9%. Incredibly this means since 2006 he made less than 3 inaccurate statements, earning him the nickname "Top Gun Poster" among his peers.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2023, 03:28:51 PM »
Talking to Ohio State fans here it does like they don’t give a damn about conference (“we our are own team”) and will cheer for Marquette. So there’s that.

Not a Buckeye fan but do respect how they look at themselves

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2023, 03:52:12 PM »
Not a Buckeye fan but do respect how they look at themselves

I’ve come to respect Ohio State a lot more after working with a former Ohio State football player over the past year.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2023, 03:53:45 PM »
I’ve come to respect Ohio State a lot more after working with a former Ohio State football player over the past year.

They’ll never do it, but I’d love to see them leave the Big Ten for the SEC.  Yes, I know, never happening but it would be awesome. 

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2023, 04:00:00 PM »

I married into OSU fan family (wife is unaffiliated, but they all went) and am friends with a former OSU student assistant for Matta. It helped my opinions of them.

I'd guess those attending root for Marquette. They're not fans of MSU
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2023, 04:45:11 PM »
Tom Izzo is a bad person.  Bury him

I lost all respect for Izzo. 

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2023, 04:58:59 PM »
I lost all respect for Izzo.
Agreed. If MSU was smart (they are not) they would prepare written statements for him. Not a very smart or thoughtful person. (hell of a basketball coach).

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2023, 05:01:33 PM »
Stretch

The closer we get to the game, the more I hope they bury MSU and conclude Joey's playing days at MSU. That said, no Joey Hauser there is a very good chance MU does not land Shaka. That may be his greatest contribution as a MU player.

Goose

You make an excellent point. Very well said. Will we ever learn what Joey wrote on the letter?

tower912

• All American
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2023, 06:00:08 PM »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2023, 07:08:39 PM »
Stretch

The closer we get to the game, the more I hope they bury MSU and conclude Joey's playing days at MSU. That said, no Joey Hauser there is a very good chance MU does not land Shaka. That may be his greatest contribution as a MU player.

We all know the Hausers' were right to leave.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2023, 07:11:18 PM »
Yep.  A freshman never wins a battle of wills with a coach and an All-American.  Time to go. 

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2023, 07:51:45 PM »
Play defense like we did in the BEast tourney and execute our normal offense and we could do it.    Have to rebound even or better.   Goo Marquette!

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2023, 08:19:51 PM »
Yep.  A freshman never wins a battle of wills with a coach and an All-American.  Time to go.
Do you think the Wojo / Howard combination would’ve won anything meaningful with a “yes sir” “no sir” version of the Hausers?

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2023, 08:25:34 PM »
Do you think the Wojo / Howard combination would’ve won anything meaningful with a “yes sir” “no sir” version of the Hausers?

Yes, because of their incredible leadership and success their teams found when they left

tower912

• All American
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2023, 08:29:13 PM »
Doesn't matter.  A freshman was unhappy with system/usage and left.   No more, no less.  I cannot remember examples of freshmen winning that battle of wills.  Can you?