[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Michigan St Discussion Game Time 4:15 CT  (Read 7018 times)

HowardsWorld

• All American
Michigan St Discussion Game Time 4:15 CT
« on: March 18, 2023, 07:11:17 AM »
Let’s talk about Michigan States strength, weaknesses etc. finished 4th in the big 10 which at this point doesn’t matter. Watching them for USC they can hit the three ball which to be honest Marquette had a hard time guarding yesterday.

I expect a win but it should be a close one.

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: Michigan St Discussion Game Time 4:15 CT
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2023, 07:48:13 AM »
Let’s talk about Michigan States strength, weaknesses etc. finished 4th in the big 10 which at this point doesn’t matter. Watching them for USC they can hit the three ball which to be honest Marquette had a hard time guarding yesterday.

They got physical with USC yesterday and did a good job neutralizing their two best players.  I would say they are streaky offensively but their PG is capable of going off and has excellent quickness.  Joey is the guy we need to find on the perimeter, especially the corner triple.  If he scores on the interior we can live with that. 

They will try to muck it up a bit, we have contrasting styles.  I see this as a chip on our shoulder game, sort of a pseudo away game as the #2 seed.  I think this can work to our advantage.  The fact that we disposed of Vermont with TyKo having one if his worst games of the year is a huge positive for MU.  I expect Tyler to be elite and to lead the way.  Play our game, don't get caught up in the bumping on the perimeter, attack with all 5 players on the floor, and play with ZERO hesitation tomorrow.  I also think those two triples by Stevie in the 2nd half will give him more confidence as well as our entire team. 

This game is not about Tom Izzo or Joey Hauser.  It's about Marquette being Marquette.  A beautiful and cohesive team all working together, under the tutelage of a Maestro, to get to the promised land.  F'Kem and take care of business. End of discussion.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2023, 07:50:44 AM by MuggsyB »

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2023, 08:00:40 AM »
I think Shaka will have these guys plenty motivated. It being a road game. The talk being more about Izzo in March than the number 2 seed.

I think if the Hauser matchup has any impact, it will be more on Joey. I’m not sure anyone on our team was there while he was. I think Oso might have visited. I could see Joey forcing things.

panda

• All American
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2023, 08:02:45 AM »
Put omax on Joey and it’s game over. If Joey is hitting shots that opens up everything for hoggard to get into the lane and make things happen inside out.

We matchup well with them. Theyre a finesse team with Joey on the floor meaning they’re not a very athletic, bouncy crash the glass group.

It’ll be tough playing them so close to Lansing but remember we just beat UConn in the garden and they’re an infinitely better team than MSU.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2023, 08:26:13 AM »

Joey hit 4 threes . The rest of the team was 1 for 8. Dont sag off of Joey, make him put it on the floor.  Im more worried about foul trouble.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2023, 08:30:06 AM »
I very much was a fan of the Hauser boys, especially Sam, while they were at MU, but I hope MU brings a very quick and sad end to Joey’s collegiate career tomorrow.

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2023, 08:53:00 AM »
When was the last time MU played a former player?
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2023, 08:56:01 AM »
Ellenson senior?   He began at MU and transferred to Wisconsin, iirc.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2023, 08:57:19 AM »
Fortunately they don’t have a bruiser that usually gives Marquette problems like Soriano, Sanogo, Clingan, and Nunge.

Actually a pretty decent matchup for Marquette. It’s also why I really want Kansas state to beat Kentucky so e don’t have to deal with Tshiebwe

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2023, 08:59:10 AM »
Sissoko reminds me of one of the DePaul bigs.    Long, athletic, not as skilled as he will be.    Hoggard and Walker remind me of SHU and SJU guards who shoot a little better.    Both lead guards.      Hall is a slightly less athletic OMax who spends more time down low and than on the perimeter.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Not A Serious Person

• All American
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2023, 09:22:42 AM »
Ellenson senior?   He began at MU and transferred to Wisconsin, iirc.   

Unless we are forgetting someone else, it has been more than 30 years.
Western Progressives have one worldview, the correct one.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2023, 09:45:49 AM »
Unless we are forgetting someone else, it has been more than 30 years.

Obviously different but we played against Wardles UWGB. Sorta like playing a former player
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2023, 09:51:59 AM »
I think Walker is the key guy to erase.  I thought Mich St. played really well yesterday but Enfield did nothing to change his defensive schemes.  I expect a level of intensity and physicality from MU that will surpass our performance vs UCONN.  Our guys will be ready.  :)

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2023, 09:53:50 AM »
Didn’t we play Andy Freund?

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2023, 10:22:12 AM »
Must be some heads exploding in Badgerland Fandom today. Do they root for Tom Izzo and the Hausers, all of whom they hate,  or do they root for Marrquette, whom they probably hate more.

What a dilema.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2023, 10:25:43 AM »
Dribbler

I have a feeling there are Badger fans cheering MU this season. I have had several diehard Badger fans tell me they are pulling for MU. Now, I am sure they would not be disappointed if MU lost, but they seem to truly like this MU team.

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2023, 10:47:33 AM »
Joey hit 4 threes . The rest of the team was 1 for 8. Dont sag off of Joey, make him put it on the floor.  Im more worried about foul trouble.

Put OMax on Joey and the rest will take care of itself.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2023, 10:56:26 AM »

Goose - my badger friends (the ones that mocked me after we lost to them) now look at Greg Gard and wish they had Shaka.

Dribbler

I have a feeling there are Badger fans cheering MU this season. I have had several diehard Badger fans tell me they are pulling for MU. Now, I am sure they would not be disappointed if MU lost, but they seem to truly like this MU team.

FairWeatherEagle

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2023, 11:00:07 AM »
Will be a really good game. I know someone in Band that texted me Izzo was sitting right next to them taking notes. Curious to see that notepad...
"Watch out for Jones"
"Keep Igodaro out of lane"
"take care of ball with Mitchell"
"Break Kolek's thumb"   :o

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2023, 11:03:04 AM »
I very much was a fan of the Hauser boys, especially Sam, while they were at MU, but I hope MU brings a very quick and sad end to Joey’s collegiate career tomorrow.
My son taught both Hausers in high school. Joey's dissing Marquette after they helped him rehab with a free semester and then dropping out is a big incentive that we should demolish them tomorrow.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2023, 11:10:51 AM »
When was the last time MU played a former player?
Posed the question on Dodds' board.   Dodds says Brett Roseboro at UMBC.   But he never played at MU, so....

Ron Howard at Valparaiso?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2023, 11:15:43 AM »
Posed the question on Dodds' board.   Dodds says Brett Roseboro at UMBC.   But he never played at MU, so....

Ron Howard at Valparaiso?

So....therefore he is wrong

Goose

• All American
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2023, 11:16:45 AM »
Stretch

The closer we get to the game, the more I hope they bury MSU and conclude Joey's playing days at MSU. That said, no Joey Hauser there is a very good chance MU does not land Shaka. That may be his greatest contribution as a MU player.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2023, 11:20:49 AM »
Stretch

The closer we get to the game, the more I hope they bury MSU and conclude Joey's playing days at MSU. That said, no Joey Hauser there is a very good chance MU does not land Shaka. That may be his greatest contribution as a MU player.

Goose,

"Conclude" is an acceptable euphemism for introducing Joey to darkness.  :)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2023, 01:26:16 PM »
Sissoko reminds me of one of the DePaul bigs.    Long, athletic, not as skilled as he will be.    Hoggard and Walker remind me of SHU and SJU guards who shoot a little better.    Both lead guards.      Hall is a slightly less athletic OMax who spends more time down low and than on the perimeter.
I have been following MSU as long as i have been following MU. This is clearly not one of Coach Izzo’s more talented teams . However , I would say (even with the softness of Joey)this is definitely in the top third or so of Izzo ‘s Gritty teams which is why they some how eked out a 4th Place finish  in the Big Ten . Izzo in March is always a tough out , especially with one tournament win under his belt .

All that said, providing Tyler is healthy, if we come at the same intensity we had in The BET against U Conn we will be right there at the end of the game. This is essentially going to be a road game with all The Sparty fans and everyone else wanting to see a 2 seed toppled. We proved we can win these games .

I also like the laser focus of our Coach.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire