2025 Bracketology by MarquetteMike1977
[Today at 12:57:10 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Lennys Tap
[June 02, 2024, 09:43:52 PM]

Tyler Kolek and Oso Ighodaro NBA Combine by Skatastrophy
[June 02, 2024, 08:27:35 PM]

Recruiting as of 5/15/24 by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[June 02, 2024, 09:27:42 AM]

“I’m worried that Marquette will miss the 2025 NCAA Tournament.” -Field of 68 by MUbiz
[June 01, 2024, 11:08:53 AM]

NM by mu_hilltopper
[May 31, 2024, 07:15:38 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: EV's  (Read 29366 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: EV's
« Reply #650 on: May 20, 2024, 04:30:12 PM »
I had a camry hybrid ~15 years ago and it was great

We currently have 2 Hyundai hybrids and both have been outstanding, efficient cars.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #651 on: May 20, 2024, 06:36:08 PM »
re: dogies excellent response-i read somewhere they made brake lines or fuel lines out of a corn based product and guess what?  rodents ate them.  for those of you from Rio linda-that can be detrimental to ones safety and well-being
don't...don't don't don't don't

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #652 on: May 20, 2024, 08:17:44 PM »
re: dogies excellent response-i read somewhere they made brake lines or fuel lines out of a corn based product and guess what?  rodents ate them.  for those of you from Rio linda-that can be detrimental to ones safety and well-being

Yep US farm subsidies are ridiculous. All this corn based bs is just rural welfare.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #653 on: May 20, 2024, 08:36:50 PM »
Yep US farm subsidies are ridiculous. All this corn based bs is just rural welfare.
Sure, if you feel like.paying $15 for a gallon of gas,or $6 for a gallon of milk.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #654 on: May 20, 2024, 09:08:48 PM »
Sure, if you feel like.paying $15 for a gallon of gas,or $6 for a gallon of milk.
I'm thinking your gas estimate might be a wee bit off.

This from a very pro-renewable fuels proponent:
New University Study: Ethanol Cuts Gas Prices by 77 Cents per Gallon

https://ethanolrfa.org/media-and-news/category/news-releases/article/2023/02/new-university-study-ethanol-cuts-gas-prices-by-77-cents-per-gallon#:~:text=The%20analysis%20concluded%20that%20%E2%80%9Cadding,per%20year%20for%20U.S.%20consumers.%E2%80%9D
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #655 on: May 21, 2024, 09:12:06 AM »
I'm thinking your gas estimate might be a wee bit off.

This from a very pro-renewable fuels proponent:
New University Study: Ethanol Cuts Gas Prices by 77 Cents per Gallon

https://ethanolrfa.org/media-and-news/category/news-releases/article/2023/02/new-university-study-ethanol-cuts-gas-prices-by-77-cents-per-gallon#:~:text=The%20analysis%20concluded%20that%20%E2%80%9Cadding,per%20year%20for%20U.S.%20consumers.%E2%80%9D

I figured they were being sarcastic? Hard to tell these days.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #656 on: May 22, 2024, 12:27:49 PM »
  full self driving cars-wow!  just think of all the "neat" things that THEY could do with those...ho boy, that list would be deee licious.  all those gubmint experts helping out-can't imagine anything could go wrong there

btw, computer hackers are licking their lips

anyone ever see bait car??

They can already remotely shut down your hummer.  LOL

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #657 on: May 22, 2024, 12:28:27 PM »
Can you get a DUI in a self driving car?

👀

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #658 on: May 22, 2024, 01:58:12 PM »
They can already remotely shut down your hummer.  LOL

i try like hell not to give them a reason to, but you just made my point.  can't see anything could go wrong here

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #659 on: May 22, 2024, 02:02:15 PM »
GM has had vehicle immobilization since they brought in OnStar.  So like, since 1995.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #660 on: May 22, 2024, 02:18:47 PM »
GM has had vehicle immobilization since they brought in OnStar.  So like, since 1995.

Bingo

tower912

• All American
« Reply #661 on: May 22, 2024, 02:21:36 PM »
That doesn't it can't be recently be discovered and made political by some single brain cell influencer who found something new to make his single brain celled followers afraid of.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #662 on: May 22, 2024, 02:24:20 PM »
That doesn't it can't be recently be discovered and made political by some single brain cell influencer who found something new to make his single brain celled followers afraid of.

I expect someone behind the wheel creating at tiktok and saying they're no longer buying GM despite doing it their entire life!

tower912

• All American
« Reply #663 on: May 22, 2024, 02:25:37 PM »
Not to mention Tesla's data mining on their drivers.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #664 on: May 22, 2024, 02:55:27 PM »
Not to mention Tesla's data mining on their drivers.

So is Nissan!

My Murano routinely sends data back to Nissan for analysis.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #665 on: May 22, 2024, 03:00:11 PM »
So is Nissan!

My Murano routinely sends data back to Nissan for analysis.

Yeah people aren't generally aware of this. They don't read privacy policies.

https://gizmodo.com/mozilla-new-cars-data-privacy-report-1850805416

> The worst offender was Nissan, Mozilla said. The carmaker’s privacy policy suggests the manufacturer collects information including sexual activity, health diagnosis data, and genetic data, though there’s no details about how exactly that data is gathered. Nissan reserves the right to share and sell “preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes” to data brokers, law enforcement, and other third parties.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #666 on: May 22, 2024, 03:06:22 PM »
Yeah people aren't generally aware of this. They don't read privacy policies.

https://gizmodo.com/mozilla-new-cars-data-privacy-report-1850805416

> The worst offender was Nissan, Mozilla said. The carmaker’s privacy policy suggests the manufacturer collects information including sexual activity, health diagnosis data, and genetic data, though there’s no details about how exactly that data is gathered. Nissan reserves the right to share and sell “preferences, characteristics, psychological trends, predispositions, behavior, attitudes, intelligence, abilities, and aptitudes” to data brokers, law enforcement, and other third parties.
That's why people have burner phones when using bluetooth in their cars

MU82

• All American
« Reply #667 on: May 25, 2024, 07:42:37 AM »
From Reuters:

Mercedes-Benz is pumping the brakes on its electrification strategy. The Germany luxury marque is pushing back its plans to go all-electric by 2030. The company also wants everyone (but, specifically, investors) to know that it will continue to build vehicles with combustion engines well into the next decade.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #668 on: May 25, 2024, 05:12:16 PM »

Do love the technology EV's are bringing to the table with self-driving....   But, work colleague showed me their Tesla self driving mode.   Went all of two blocks before it slammed on the brakes cause it was about to hit a car in a turn lane on major intersection.   Co-worker (self admitted Tesla nut) would not trust the self driving mode to turn left across a major roadway.   Me thinks self-driving is a LONG ways away...

MU82

• All American
« Reply #669 on: May 26, 2024, 05:01:43 PM »
As a TSLA shareholder, I just cast my vote against giving a $51B payday to the distracted, unstable CEO who has overseen a 50%+ stock-price plunge while he sold TSLA shares to fund a money-bleeding social-media site he didn’t even want.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #670 on: May 26, 2024, 05:35:40 PM »
As a TSLA shareholder, I just cast my vote against giving a $51B payday to the distracted, unstable CEO who has overseen a 50%+ stock-price plunge while he sold TSLA shares to fund a money-bleeding social-media site he didn’t even want.

No AI for you!  lol

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #671 on: May 26, 2024, 05:46:57 PM »

don't you have to subscribe to onstar in order for them to have access to your car?  I guess, ultimately, they could over ride it (and give you a break) in order for them to "mess" with you if they needed to.  not to worry, they will send you the bill(or shut down your car ;D)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #672 on: May 26, 2024, 07:14:04 PM »
don't you have to subscribe to onstar in order for them to have access to your car?

Nope.  They always* have access.  You have to subscribe for the "convenience" features.

* These systems use a cellular modem.  The legacy ones would only use a slow GSM network, but regardless, they can still be accessed, unless you rip out the modem, or drive out of range / into a faraday cage.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2024, 07:20:00 PM by rocky_warrior »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #673 on: May 26, 2024, 07:21:28 PM »

Let’s get this straight. The CEO is an unhinged, dishonest, antisemite who is running his company into the ground. And in your opinion those are among his better qualities. WTF are you a shareholder?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #674 on: May 26, 2024, 08:09:26 PM »
Let’s get this straight. The CEO is an unhinged, dishonest, antisemite who is running his company into the ground. And in your opinion those are among his better qualities. WTF are you a shareholder?

Inertia.

I bought my shares well before Musk became distracted by and/or obsessed with fighting social wars.

Although I don’t really have that many shares of TSLA, yes, I probably should have sold them. But I’m a long-term investor who really hates selling anything. While I believe that philosophy has served me well over the years, every once in a while buy-and-hold does burn me.

I do believe that Tesla can still “win” in the EV realm if Elon will stop getting in his company’s way. Pissing off almost your entire customer base isn’t the best business model, however.

So if he won’t act in the best interest of TSLA shareholders, it’s up to shareholders to use the votes we’ve earned.