[Today at 01:04:10 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 2023 Coaching Carousel  (Read 86361 times)

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
Re: 2023 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #750 on: March 25, 2023, 09:09:40 AM »
His resume is thinner than thin.  Not even much time as an assistant. This is a pretty big leap of faith.

But I’m glad Providence did this given Georgetown and St John’s getting their hires right.

What if I were to tell you that Marquette once hired Belmont Abbey’s coach off a 6-18 season… and it worked out well…
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #751 on: March 25, 2023, 09:38:39 AM »
What if I were to tell you that Marquette once hired Belmont Abbey’s coach off a 6-18 season… and it worked out well…
But wasn't Belmont Abbey in the Big10, and those teams beat each other up during the season.

HutchwasClutch

• All American
« Reply #752 on: March 25, 2023, 09:59:01 AM »

Thanks for that example when the NCAA Tournament consisted of 25 teams.  A tick off 60 years ago. 

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #753 on: March 25, 2023, 05:58:59 PM »
I'd like to think I learn something new every day.

This week I learned that this iteration of the Big East apparently has no by-law preventing the poaching of a current head coach by another conference school. I understand that college basketball is a cut throat business and that competition is competition. Nonetheless back in 2013 I was kind of moved by that "all for one and one for all" pronouncement advanced by the original members.  I would have thought ( naively so) that they would have wanted to insulate themselves from this intra-conference courting. Apparently Cooley and Georgetown had been dating for weeks.

As I said, I learn something new every day.

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #754 on: March 25, 2023, 06:01:40 PM »
Apparently Cooley and Georgetown had been dating for weeks.

That’s par for the course with Cooley.  👀

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #755 on: March 25, 2023, 06:07:34 PM »
it doesn't seem but just a few weeks ago, i saw this nice touchy-feely clip on cooley and providence and all the love they have for each other.  what coach c has done with the community, the respect, etc etc kiss kiss love love and...he isn't even going to call them in the morning? 
don't...don't don't don't don't

thebigjake

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #756 on: March 25, 2023, 06:07:48 PM »

This week I learned that this iteration of the Big East apparently has no by-law preventing the poaching of a current head coach by another conference school. I understand that college basketball is a cut throat business and that competition is competition. Nonetheless back in 2013 I was kind of moved by that "all for one and one for all" pronouncement advanced by the original members.  I would have thought ( naively so) that they would have wanted to insulate themselves from this intra-conference courting. Apparently Cooley and Georgetown had been dating for weeks.

Yeah, I would have been legitimately surprised if the BE had an actual rule on the books that prohibited, or even discouraged poaching a head coach from another member.

But I still think it more or less existed as an unwritten rule, and that everyone was on board. Not saying it should be that way, because everyone really has to look out for themselves. But it was nice to think that for a while. Can't any more. Oh well.

Put it this way- I was a legit fan of Ed Cooley, but I think a little bit less of him now. And ever since I was a kid (going back to the early 80's), Georgetown was my clear 2nd favorite program. I think a little bit less of them now. Just a little (for both), but still...

On the surface Ed might be really, really good at Georgetown. And I get why they wanted each other. But now I have this weird karma thing that tells me he isn't gonna succeed there.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #757 on: March 25, 2023, 06:12:26 PM »
it doesn't seem but just a few weeks ago, i saw this nice touchy-feely clip on cooley and providence and all the love they have for each other.  what coach c has done with the community, the respect, etc etc kiss kiss love love and...he isn't even going to call them in the morning?

Nah man, dat wuz all bullchit. Beleave half of watt ewe reed and nothin' of watt ewe heer, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

mix it up

• Walk-On
« Reply #758 on: March 25, 2023, 06:21:26 PM »

That one for all and all for one mentality of the old Big East was a crock. If there really was that mentality, no schools would’ve ever left the Big East.
Big time college basketball is a big time business and in business you take care of your company/investment etc. Plain and simple.

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #759 on: March 25, 2023, 06:41:17 PM »
Of course it does. Georgetown is in the Big East because of the MBB and only for that reason. Otherwise, the investment in its athletics department and facilities would be comparable to the Patriot League. Although admittedly I should have been more specific -- there obviously is other money at play beyond what MB pulls in. But that money would not be flowing into the athletics department if not for MBB.

Georgetown devotes significant resources to Big East track, soccer, lacrosse and, although much more is needed, Patriot League football. Football is the second largest line item behind men's basketball and brings in somewhere around $300K a year in revenues.

The downside is that men's basketball consumes a third of the budget, which means the 29 other sports share roughly $29 million to compete.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #760 on: March 25, 2023, 06:51:47 PM »
I couldn’t care less if a coach leaves for another school in the conference. He took a better job. Of course Cooley was talking to them for weeks. That’s how these things go. You don’t negotiate a multi year, multi million dollar contract in the 12 hours after your season ends.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #761 on: March 25, 2023, 07:01:21 PM »
Capitalism.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

panda

• All American
« Reply #762 on: March 25, 2023, 08:05:26 PM »
I couldn’t care less if a coach leaves for another school in the conference. He took a better job. Of course Cooley was talking to them for weeks. That’s how these things go. You don’t negotiate a multi year, multi million dollar contract in the 12 hours after your season ends.

Time will tell if it’s still a good job. I don’t see the Georgetown name carrying the same cache as it did even 10 years ago. The landscape has significantly changed and I’ll be very curious to see how much Georgetown’s reluctance towards NIL changes after Cooley signed up.

I’m also somewhat curious about the motivations from Cooley. He turned down a significant upgrade both in program stature and pay a couple years ago from Michigan only to take over a HEAVY rebuild within the same conference ? I hate to read into the rumor mill too much but I’m wondering about his commitment to the new job given his supposed extramarital activity forced him to leave his hometown beloved PC.

Only time will tell, but I don’t think his move is as big of a slam dunk as the media echo chamber makes it seem.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #763 on: March 25, 2023, 08:08:27 PM »
Nothin' changes 'cept da city he coaches in. Dat's da power of da kat, hey?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 08:10:48 PM by 4everwarriors »
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #764 on: March 25, 2023, 10:15:33 PM »

panda

• All American
« Reply #765 on: March 25, 2023, 10:34:55 PM »
Cachet is what you mean

I made a business decision. I thought you charged by the letter…

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #766 on: March 25, 2023, 10:37:31 PM »
Yeah, I would have been legitimately surprised if the BE had an actual rule on the books that prohibited, or even discouraged poaching a head coach from another member.

But I still think it more or less existed as an unwritten rule, and that everyone was on board. Not saying it should be that way, because everyone really has to look out for themselves. But it was nice to think that for a while. Can't any more. Oh well.

Put it this way- I was a legit fan of Ed Cooley, but I think a little bit less of him now. And ever since I was a kid (going back to the early 80's), Georgetown was my clear 2nd favorite program. I think a little bit less of them now. Just a little (for both), but still...

On the surface Ed might be really, really good at Georgetown. And I get why they wanted each other. But now I have this weird karma thing that tells me he isn't gonna succeed there.

What you’re describing is called an antitrust violation.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #767 on: March 25, 2023, 10:48:52 PM »

Nah man, dat wuz all bullchit. Beleave half of watt ewe reed and nothin' of watt ewe heer, hey?

well, it looked good and probably had lots of people wellin up...now they're wellin up for a different reason.  wait till stages 2-3 and 4 hit
don't...don't don't don't don't

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #768 on: March 25, 2023, 10:49:49 PM »

Both things can be true:

1. Georgetown zeroes in on Cooley six weeks before the end of the season, and
2. Cooley said he didn't talk to anyone until the end of the season.

Of course, people would be laughing today if Georgetown had waited to start until after the season and Cooley said no, Shrewsbury was already off to ND, and Georgetown was calling Mike Brey for a second look.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #769 on: March 25, 2023, 11:06:40 PM »
Both things can be true:

1. Georgetown zeroes in on Cooley six weeks before the end of the season, and
2. Cooley said he didn't talk to anyone until the end of the season.

Of course, people would be laughing today if Georgetown had waited to start until after the season and Cooley said no, Shrewsbury was already off to ND, and Georgetown was calling Mike Brey for a second look.

I see nothing wrong with Georgetown reaching out to Cooley before the season ends. And by “to Cooley” I mean his agent. Cooley knew Georgetown was interested. Georgetown knew Cooley was interested. It’s a job search. There’s nothing wrong with it. People continue working for their employers while looking for/talking with potential new jobs all the time.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #770 on: March 27, 2023, 12:04:10 PM »
Looks like Texas is doing the right thing and removing the interim title from Rodney Terry.  He did a great job in the aftermath of the Beard situation. 

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #771 on: March 27, 2023, 12:08:52 PM »
Looks like Texas is doing the right thing and removing the interim title from Rodney Terry.  He did a great job in the aftermath of the Beard situation.
He can certainly coach.  But, will he be able to recruit ala Beard.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #772 on: March 27, 2023, 12:34:17 PM »
He can certainly coach.  But, will he be able to recruit ala Beard.

Did Beard recruit or was he able to just pay more for other team's transfers?

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #773 on: March 27, 2023, 12:37:22 PM »
Did Beard recruit or was he able to just pay more for other team's transfers?

He’s a scum bag off the court, but I think he’s the real deal as a coach and recruiter. I think Texas would be a powerhouse with him.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #774 on: March 27, 2023, 12:41:35 PM »
I would rather Cooley leave PC for the Hilltop than for Michigan. Let's keep our best coaches in conference.   

With this carousel the BE got better, much better.

St John's landed a HOFer
Georgetown got a proven BE coach
PC got a hot up and comer

the BE coaching roster continues to be the best in the nation.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 12:44:47 PM by The Lens »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart