Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Most Important Things to Improve On  (Read 2661 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: Most Important Things to Improve On
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2023, 03:03:24 PM »
Shaka literally told everyone this every time he had a press conference.

Yet no one agreed with my comment, which I believe I made right after the season - not during the summer when Shaka was talking about it.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2023, 03:09:20 PM »
Oso shot the highest percentage on the team last year from 15+ feet and beneath the 3 point line. He shot 50%. He took the second most of these attempts on the team from this range with a grand total of 8. Joplin took 15 attempts.

Kam Jones, Omax, and Ben Gold did not take a single shot from that range.

15+ feet is an objectivly bad shot. That should virtually never be taken unless the shot clock is at 1 second.

Are you saying Oso was taking shots OUTSIDE the FT Line?

He took a lot shots in the lane (8’-12’), but I don’t remember him shooting from 15’+.

I also disagree that a 15 footer is objectively bad. It is a great shot for a big (who can make a decent %), especially in an offense like Shaka’s where cutters are so important.

mileskishnish72

• All American
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2023, 03:15:41 PM »
I think they need to rebound less

Rico, you truly have a gift.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2023, 03:21:22 PM »
Can we get back to free throw practice please.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2023, 03:24:00 PM »
Yet no one agreed with my comment, which I believe I made right after the season - not during the summer when Shaka was talking about it.
I thought you were arguing just the opposite, and tower was arguing for it

https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=63588.100

You mean this?

Quote from: tower912 on September 19, 2022, 11:47:11 AM
I expect there will be a set where the offense is initiated by giving him the ball just above the foul line and running motion off of that with him distributing the ball or taking the opposing 5 off the dribble.  A hint of Loyola under Moser with a more mobile high post.   

I doubt that will be the primary set, but I definitely think it will be in the toolbox.

Yup.  Remember Nevada Smith worked under Spoelstra.  I expect to see some of the actions Miami runs with Bam with us using Oso in that spot.

Re: And Then Along Came Jones?
« Reply #102 on: September 19, 2022, 02:31:02 PM »
Quote from: JTJ3 on September 19, 2022, 12:33:07 PM
Yup.  Remember Nevada Smith worked under Spoelstra.  I expect to see some of the actions Miami runs with Bam with us using Oso in that spot.

•   
•   
•   “We want to get rid of the ballots"
•   
o   

o   

o   

Bam has elite physical skills. Oso has decent physical skills.

Huge difference.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2023, 03:33:33 PM »

You mean this?

I expect there will be a set where the offense is initiated by giving him the ball just above the foul line and running motion off of that with him distributing the ball or taking the opposing 5 off the dribble.  A hint of Loyola under Moser with a more mobile high post.   

I doubt that will be the primary set, but I definitely think it will be in the toolbox.

•   
•   
•   
o   

o   

o   

Huge difference.

Haha.  So not only was it that he wasn't the one and only Scooper claiming Oso would run the offense at times and nobody on Scoop agreed, he was actually arguing the exact opposite?

Man, some people forget the internet always keeps receipts.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2023, 03:37:07 PM »
I am a freaking genius.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #32 on: July 10, 2023, 04:08:11 PM »
I also disagree that a 15 footer is objectively bad. It is a great shot for a big (who can make a decent %), especially in an offense like Shaka’s where cutters are so important.

Marquette' TS% last year was 58.8% meaning you need to shoot just under that percentage from 15+ feet in order to be a decent shot (it is probably like 55% but college bigs don't really shoot that)

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #33 on: July 10, 2023, 04:14:04 PM »

You mean this?

•   
•   
•   
o   

o   

o   

Huge difference.

Tower is a wise man.

My comment was earlier - Jan. '22 when I noticed for the 1st time that they ran a play thru Oso.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #34 on: July 10, 2023, 04:14:37 PM »
Marquette' TS% last year was 58.8% meaning you need to shoot just under that percentage from 15+ feet in order to be a decent shot (it is probably like 55% but college bigs don't really shoot that)

Jokey thinks if Oso makes a 15 footer it magically makes defenses turn to mush and breakdown … akin to heating up on nba jam

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

rgoode57

• Starter
« Reply #35 on: July 10, 2023, 04:57:31 PM »
I wish I had the optimism to think MU will win the BE and be a 1 seed for the tournament. Sorry, I am too much a realist for that.

Creighton will undoubtedly be the favorite to win the conference this year. UConn will be tough but it may take them the preseason to figure out their new rotation. X may not be an elite team, but Miller will have them playing tough. Where MU fits in that group remains to be seen, but it will be a dogfight.

The pre=conference games against tough opponents will hopefully give this team a chance to learn to win at a different level - learning to be an elite team on a national level. MU is not going to surprise anyone this year. Teams like Kansas, Tennessee, UCLA, Gonzaga (all at Maui), Texas, and Illinois are all teams with top talent and top coaches.

The season is not going to be all smooth sailing, but it will be really exciting.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #36 on: July 10, 2023, 05:08:40 PM »
I wish I had the optimism to think MU will win the BE and be a 1 seed for the tournament. Sorry, I am too much a realist for that.

Creighton will undoubtedly be the favorite to win the conference this year. UConn will be tough but it may take them the preseason to figure out their new rotation. X may not be an elite team, but Miller will have them playing tough. Where MU fits in that group remains to be seen, but it will be a dogfight.

The pre=conference games against tough opponents will hopefully give this team a chance to learn to win at a different level - learning to be an elite team on a national level. MU is not going to surprise anyone this year. Teams like Kansas, Tennessee, UCLA, Gonzaga (all at Maui), Texas, and Illinois are all teams with top talent and top coaches.

The season is not going to be all smooth sailing, but it will be really exciting.

If they don’t win the Big East, Shaka is on the hot seat and Wooly Wackit can give him a nickname imo
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2023, 06:20:40 PM »
I am surprised that anyone would think 'Nova, GT, and StJ are not going to be noticeably better this year.

Nova still has Neptune, lost 3 of their top-5 scorers, and I think the transfers they added was a talent downgrade and the cohesion will be lower than last year. IMO Slater was unquestionably better than Hart, Daniels better than Bamba, and Whitmore better than Burton. And Lance Ware couldn't get off the bench. I don't think they'll be better and will probably be worse.

Georgetown probably can't be worse, but significantly better at best means better than the trash heaps that are Butler, DePaul, & Seton Hall. I don't think any of those 4 win more than 6 games in league.

The Johnnies should be better. Pitino started slow but put together a decent roster. They could be a tourney team. But I think you probably have Marquette, UConn, & Creighton as protected seeds, then Providence and St John's on the bubble, and 4 bad teams at the bottom. Villanova and Xavier are somewhere in the middle, but I think a tourney bid for either would be exceeding expectations.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2023, 08:12:00 PM »
Losing Omax is something to be dealt with, but, in college ball, all players leave in 1-4 years, so making player adjustments is just part of the game.

I think we all agree that the starting lineup this year will be Oso, Tyler, Stevie, Kam, and Joplin. I think we all also agree that Ben Gold slides into the Joplin sixth man slot. Chase Ross will undoubtedly get more minutes this season. Somehow, Sean Jones, Tre Norman, Zaide Lowery, and Al Amadou will round out the rotation. It sounds like Amadou is a bit of a project and might see only a little playing time here and there while Norman may need to play more minutes to keep the guard rotation fresh. Lowery is essentially an unknown but will hopefully develop steadily over the course of the season.  What is true is that most freshmen play like freshmen until late in the season, so they cannot be counted on for big contributions. So, leaving the three newcomers out of the discussion, what are the three or four basic improvements the team needs to make this year - either collectively or individually. I offer the following for your consideration:

1. David Joplin has to finish better at the rim and improve his handle. He has nice footwork down low but, too many times, fails to get the basket, either due to poor ball handling or simply missing an easy shot. He is a really, really good player and certainly has the potential to take on a much bigger role this year. No, he is not going to be Omax on defense, but, on the other hand,  he can do things offensively that Omax could not do. And his defense improved considerably over the course of last season.

2. Other than Kolek and Joplin, the entire team needs to improve its free throw shooting. I know there are those who believe free throws don't matter, but I am not in that camp and never will be. They don't matter when you are beating someone by twenty points. But, in close games, they matter a lot.

3. Stevie Mitchell needs to improve his three point shot. He does not need to shoot 40% from three, but he needs to shoot well enough to keep the defense honest.

4. Oso needs to have a reliable shot from fifteen feet. Certainly we all know this.

5. Shaka needs to figure out how to defend the three point line more effectively. I am not going back to look at the stats, but it seems to me there were a lot of games this past year where the opponent had season-best shooting nights against us. The defense seemed to improve late in the season, however.

6. Focus early. The pre-conference schedule is tough - Texas, Wisconsin,  ND, at Illinois, and what could be three very tough games in Maui. This team is going to be challenged hard very early. I love this pre-con schedule, and it should help us with seeding in the tournament.

Sorry for the rambling, but you have to have some MU bb to talk about in the summer.
if we can get Tyler and Kam to improve their ability to use their non dominant hand  (right hand) when driving to the hoop our offense will be very difficult to defend.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2023, 08:27:11 PM »
Jokey thinks if Oso makes a 15 footer it magically makes defenses turn to mush and breakdown … akin to heating up on nba jam

Of course I never said that. Or maybe you’re just dumb enough to think I did.

feedback