[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by THRILLHO
[Today at 04:05:24 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Tyler Kolek ... All-American?  (Read 6160 times)

MU82

• All American
Tyler Kolek ... All-American?
« on: February 02, 2023, 07:46:02 AM »
How many PGs are playing better than Tyler Kolek is? Few if any. And none in the Big East lately, including Boum.

He's the on-court leader for a top-15 team, he's top-3 in the nation in a major statistical category while directing the most efficient offense in the country, he's got a great A/TO ratio, and he's already been getting some pub, such as this twit from a former Clemson player who is now in Sweden: https://twitter.com/T_Oglesby22/status/1620993965142188033

The biggest mark against him is his relatively low scoring average (11.2 ppg), which has led to the perception that he can't beat you by scoring.

Over the last 5 games, however, here are Kolek's numbers:

95 points -- 19.0 average
37 assists -- 7.4 average
27 rebounds -- 5.4 average
9 steals -- 1.8 average
12 turnovers -- 2.4 average
33-63 from the floor -- .524
11-25 from 3 -- .440

That's brought his season percentages from .474 overall and .375 from 3.

In 12 conference games for the Big East's first-place team, Kolek is averaging 13.7 points on .509 shooting (.350 from 3), 7.9 assists, 4.3 rebounds, 2.3 steals, 2.0 turnovers.

By comparison, Boum is averaging 14.0 points on .411 shooting (.349 from 3), 5.9 assists and 4.3 rebounds in Big East play. At the very least, that's a dead heat, and it's pretty easy to argue that Tyler's numbers are better.

If Kolek can continue being a scoring threat, along with all the other stuff he does for our team, and if Marquette keeps winning to garner more and more national attention, he just might have a shot at All-American and BEPOY.

I'm a big Oso guy and I consider him indispensable because we don't have anybody else who can do what he does offensively while manning the middle of our defense. But Kolek's pretty damn indispensable, too.

Credit to Jockey for talking about Tyler as a potential All-American before anybody else did.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

tower912

• All American
Re: Tyler Kolek ... All-American?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2023, 07:51:19 AM »
And credit to those who said Sean Jones would start at PG.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2023, 07:52:56 AM »
Yep he should be in the conversation for all American.  His development, especially adding consistent scoring, is the key to the success of this team.  He will get his hardware.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2023, 08:52:12 AM »
Yes.  I mentioned a few days ago he should be considered for national A-A teams. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2023, 09:35:03 AM »
IMHO he's got to keep looking for his shot when opportunities present themselves (and obviously needs to keep making them). That will make us an even more dangerous team, and it will move Tyler up in the national conversation.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2023, 09:54:09 AM »
How we doing?
What's going on?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSr09GTW6No

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2023, 12:47:36 PM »
Honestly for all the discussion about the legit NBA prospects of Oso, Omax, and Ross, I would be shocked if Kolek doesn't play a few seasons in the NBA.

Provided he continues his improvement and reliability from outside, he's got good size and build for the 1, exceptional passing and vision, and excellent BB IQ.  His main knock is his athleticism, he doesn't have a great first step, but he wouldn't be the only one. 

Look at TJ McConnell, at this stage in their careers, Kolek is a better passer, a better shooter, better scorer, and has better size.  McConnell was probably a better defender, but Kolek isn't a traffic cone.

Same with Fred Van Vleet.  Another sturdy PG who isn't super quick.  Again, Kolek may have him beat on a few things at this stage, especially scoring.

Also, Ogelsby has been beating the drum for Marquette all year, which is awesome.  But not surprising as he played for Shaka at Clemson and clearly is a big fan of him.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 02:02:22 PM by JWags85 »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2023, 01:41:18 PM »
Assuming he continues to improve, especially his 3-point shot, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see Kolek make some NBA money, either.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2023, 02:22:49 PM »
Honestly for all the discussion about the legit NBA prospects of Oso, Omax, and Ross, I would be shocked if Kolek doesn't play a few seasons in the NBA.

Provided he continues his improvement and reliability from outside, he's got good size and build for the 1, exceptional passing and vision, and excellent BB IQ.  His main knock is his athleticism, he doesn't have a great first step, but he wouldn't be the only one. 

Look at TJ McConnell, at this stage in their careers, Kolek is a better passer, a better shooter, better scorer, and has better size.  McConnell was probably a better defender, but Kolek isn't a traffic cone.

Same with Fred Van Vleet.  Another sturdy PG who isn't super quick.  Again, Kolek may have him beat on a few things at this stage, especially scoring.

Also, Ogelsby has been beating the drum for Marquette all year, which is awesome.  But not surprising as he played for Shaka at Clemson and clearly is a big fan of him.
I agree with your post, except for the bolded. Van Vleet is almost averaging 20 points a game

wisblue

• All American
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2023, 02:31:45 PM »
I will say this, his running hook shot in the final minute was the offensive play of the game. At that point, both teams had gone about 3 tense minutes without scoring and that gave MU its biggest lead of the night, and forced Nova to rush a shot and then foul. After he made the two FT's, the game was effectively over, except in the eyes of people (like the guy sitting next to me at the game) who were interested in MU covering.

The way the NBA values 3 point shooting these days, Kolek will have to make significant improvements in that area to get a lot of playing time. But, there's no reason he can't do that.

As for All American this year I just don't think he has the gaudy scoring numbers that will catch the attention of national voters.

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2023, 03:15:45 PM »
It’s hard to describe just how good Kolek is and what he means to this team.  He is the ultimate leader.

When he starts knocking down threes, he becomes lethal because they have no idea how to guard him.  He can beat you with his shot, a drive, a pass.  If he draws a double team, he has a unique ability to find the guy who isn’t being guarded. 

Best part is that he keeps improving and you know he out in the work during the off-season.

I don’t if his game is suited for the style of play in today’s NBA but I’d be shocked if he isn’t a head coach a decade from now. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2023, 05:31:40 PM »
I don’t if his game is suited for the style of play in today’s NBA but I’d be shocked if he isn’t a head coach a decade from now.

A decade from now?  If he's not in the NBA, he'll be playing with Markus in the Euroleague.  His game is VERY much suited to high level European basketball.  Maybe a HC in two decades from now.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2023, 05:40:13 PM »
Kolek and Oso  deserve to be all BE and AA.

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2023, 05:51:18 PM »
A decade from now?  If he's not in the NBA, he'll be playing with Markus in the Euroleague.  His game is VERY much suited to high level European basketball.  Maybe a HC in two decades from now.

By a decade I meant when he’s in his 30s.  That’s a great age to get your first HC position.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2023, 05:53:21 PM »
Kolek and Oso  deserve to be all BE and AA.
Perhaps.  In our hearts, certainly.  But they won't be.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2023, 06:43:45 PM »
I suspect voters will be turned off by a PPG mark around 11 but he should absolutely be in the conversation.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2023, 07:38:50 PM »
I suspect voters will be turned off by a PPG mark around 11 but he should absolutely be in the conversation.

It's 11.2 now. Just a few weeks ago, it was 9.2. So we'll see what the next month brings.

I do tend to agree that he probably won't put up enough points to wow voters. Gillespie averaged 15.6 as a senior. Kolek probably needs to get to 15 and Marquette needs to keep winning. He'd need to average about 23 to get there. Even though he has averaged 19 his last 5 games, that's a tall order.

BallBoy

• All American
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2023, 08:00:27 PM »
Don’t see it. In order to be AA he would need to be top 4 point guard and Oso top 4 center in the country. We are comparing them to other players in our league as a reason they should be all American.

There are four leagues that get more pub right now and there just needs to be one better player in those leagues.  There are four PGs in the mock NBA draft right now.

I can see All Big East. 

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2023, 08:02:07 PM »

There’s a quote I’m reminded of about voters……
« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 11:31:29 AM by pbiflyer »

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2023, 08:34:28 PM »
When I predicted AA honors for Tyler, I was not predicting 1st team. I think it is very likely he is Honorable Mention - maybe even 3rd team.

If MU wins the BE - meaning they would probably be a Top 10 team that is garnering a lot of national attention - I would be surprised if he didn’t get national notice.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2023, 11:19:11 AM »
I doubt Kolek gets more than a cup of coffee in the NBA (I'd love to be wrong). He is a great, great, college player and will make A LOT of money in Europe. We are lucky to have him at MU.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2023, 11:32:33 AM »
How many PGs are playing better than Tyler Kolek is? Few if any. And none in the Big East lately, including Boum.

He's the on-court leader for a top-15 team, he's top-3 in the nation in a major statistical category while directing the most efficient offense in the country, he's got a great A/TO ratio, and he's already been getting some pub, such as this twit from a former Clemson player who is now in Sweden: https://twitter.com/T_Oglesby22/status/1620993965142188033

The biggest mark against him is his relatively low scoring average (11.2 ppg), which has led to the perception that he can't beat you by scoring.

Over the last 5 games, however, here are Kolek's numbers:

95 points -- 19.0 average
37 assists -- 7.4 average
27 rebounds -- 5.4 average
9 steals -- 1.8 average
12 turnovers -- 2.4 average
33-63 from the floor -- .524
11-25 from 3 -- .440

That's brought his season percentages from .474 overall and .375 from 3.

In 12 conference games for the Big East's first-place team, Kolek is averaging 13.7 points on .509 shooting (.350 from 3), 7.9 assists, 4.3 rebounds, 2.3 steals, 2.0 turnovers.

By comparison, Boum is averaging 14.0 points on .411 shooting (.349 from 3), 5.9 assists and 4.3 rebounds in Big East play. At the very least, that's a dead heat, and it's pretty easy to argue that Tyler's numbers are better.

If Kolek can continue being a scoring threat, along with all the other stuff he does for our team, and if Marquette keeps winning to garner more and more national attention, he just might have a shot at All-American and BEPOY.

I'm a big Oso guy and I consider him indispensable because we don't have anybody else who can do what he does offensively while manning the middle of our defense. But Kolek's pretty damn indispensable, too.

Credit to Jockey for talking about Tyler as a potential All-American before anybody else did.

Yea no...

Marcus Sasser, Jalen Pickett, Kendric Davis, Markquis Nowell, Darius Mcghee at Liberty.

Probably some other advance stat arguments for Reece Beekman, one of the Tennessee guards, and maybe even one purdue guard if we get nerdy.

Heck I would have Kam over Tyler. Tyler has been the best player the past 5 games but this is a huge overreaction.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2023, 02:51:14 PM »
Yea no...

Marcus Sasser, Jalen Pickett, Kendric Davis, Markquis Nowell, Darius Mcghee at Liberty.

Probably some other advance stat arguments for Reece Beekman, one of the Tennessee guards, and maybe even one purdue guard if we get nerdy.

Heck I would have Kam over Tyler. Tyler has been the best player the past 5 games but this is a huge overreaction.

I think he has too much scoring ground to make up to be an All-American pick. I hope he's at least honorable mention.

I will agree to disagree with you about Tyler/Kam. Voters will value Kolek's assists, and most will have watched Marquette play several times, so they will have seen how Kolek makes the nation's #1 offense go. I believe the All-Big East and BEPOY voting will put Tyler ahead of Kam, perhaps well ahead of him. If I end up being wrong about that, I will happily tip my hat to you.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2023, 02:53:43 PM »
Love Kam

But Kam over TK on any sort of "all team" whether its BE or america is insanity. And it wont happen.

Barring some insane run by Kam starting Sunday.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2023, 02:59:32 PM »
McDermott was on field of 68 recently and gushed about Tyler…….

Definitely the team MVP at this point of the season…….even if in reality we couldn’t stand losing any of our top 4.