[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: MU's Resurgence/Recruiting Future  (Read 9420 times)

MUUWUWM

• All American
Re: MU's Resurgence/Recruiting Future
« Reply #100 on: January 23, 2023, 06:35:51 PM »
Thread turning into another Scoop pos thread.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #101 on: January 23, 2023, 08:40:51 PM »
Thread turning into another Scoop pos thread.
Par for the course, I mean.....
Goal is National Championship

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #102 on: January 24, 2023, 12:36:41 AM »
I don't think future recruiting will change much. Maybe it will be a little easier for Shaka to land his top targets, but I don't think those targets will change much.

Recruiting rankings are fun but it's a flawed process.  Leon Bond was #68 in the 247 composite.  He's redshirting at Virginia.  Meanwhile, Chase Ross was #177 and he's playing 16.9 mpg as a frosh.  It's mostly guesswork based on small sample sizes.

Trust the coaches to identify talent and recruit the right fits for the system and culture.

*clears throat loudly* Back on the topic here, I think a huge part of recruiting will take a couple years to re-normalize post-pandemic. There was a whole lot of development in these kids' prime HS years that could not be observed in the same way.  It's all still projection, but I'd expect quality of rankings to be (as a composite) a bit more accurate.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #103 on: January 24, 2023, 07:02:25 AM »
*clears throat loudly* Back on the topic here, I think a huge part of recruiting will take a couple years to re-normalize post-pandemic. There was a whole lot of development in these kids' prime HS years that could not be observed in the same way.  It's all still projection, but I'd expect quality of rankings to be (as a composite) a bit more accurate.

The pandemic’s impact on recruiting and the overall competitive landscape is a massively underreported topic. Giving the whole country an extra year of eligibility changed things in myriad ways that have largely gone unduscussed. Pair it with free transfers and it  is basically a different sport.
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #104 on: January 24, 2023, 07:07:21 AM »
The pandemic’s impact on recruiting and the overall competitive landscape is a massively underreported topic. Giving the whole country an extra year of eligibility changed things in myriad ways that have largely gone unduscussed. Pair it with free transfers and it  is basically a different sport.

The sport isn't different, just how you construct rosters. And the bonus year is just for players that played in the 2020-21 season. Once the Tyler/O-Max/Oso class of players moves on, no more COVID years.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #105 on: January 24, 2023, 07:14:45 AM »

Personally, I think a lot of what is happening in college sports right now is an anomaly.  This is probably the best opportunity for schools that don’t regularly compete for the big prize to cash in (TCU is a perfect example).

It’s a perfect storm with instant transfer rule, NIL and extra covid years.  A lot of teams have veteran depth that won’t necessarily repeat in a few years as the covid players phase out.

NIL can and will help all schools, including Marquette, but my hunch is the usual suspects will be regularly competeting for titles, the “blue bloods” of college sports.
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #106 on: January 24, 2023, 07:33:31 AM »
Personally, I think a lot of what is happening in college sports right now is an anomaly.  This is probably the best opportunity for schools that don’t regularly compete for the big prize to cash in (TCU is a perfect example).

It’s a perfect storm with instant transfer rule, NIL and extra covid years.  A lot of teams have veteran depth that won’t necessarily repeat in a few years as the covid players phase out.

NIL can and will help all schools, including Marquette, but my hunch is the usual suspects will be regularly competeting for titles, the “blue bloods” of college sports.

You hit on several good points. Obviously the elimination of the one year sit-out rule along with a lost year of eligibility is the biggest game changer by far. While recruiting is still crucial, system coaches who develop players/teams are the big winners in this new world of college bball. The Wojo "method" of loading up on talent to overcome coaching/development/game planning weaknesses is the big loser.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

PointWarrior

• All American
« Reply #107 on: January 24, 2023, 09:55:19 AM »

If getting 7 years of Wojo was the best for Marquette, then we deserve at least 3 BEAST championships and a couple final four runs under Shaka.

Shaka going to Texas and MU getting Wojo was the best thing that could have possibly happened. Now Shaka knows what life is like at the "big job" and appreciates MU because of it. He seems to know he has a good thing at MU and I would be shocked if he left. It's like the stars lined up perfectly for both MU and Shaka and a long-term partnership has been born.

As far as this year's team is concerned, I enjoy watching them as much as anyone. I hope the players are having as much fun as we are watching them.  The Big East season is a grind, and it will be interesting to see how they hold up psychologically in the second half. Barring injury, I think they will be fine physically, but the mental and emotional strain must be hard for young players.

feedback