* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by wadesworld
[Today at 05:56:07 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 05:47:31 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: MU's Resurgence/Recruiting Future  (Read 9718 times)

Goose

• All American
Re: MU's Resurgence/Recruiting Future
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2023, 09:32:39 AM »
This is my take on the resurgence of MU basketball and the state of the program:

1. The hiring of Shaka may prove to be the single greatest hire in MU history and not 100% based on basketball. Shaka and the program have an identity, is involved in the community and the face of Marquette. IMO, that this will be an outstanding marketing tool for the university as a whole. The MU community is at a high level of excitement at the moment and MU needs to capitalize on that.
2. There never was a doubt in mind that Shaka could coach, recruit and instill a system that would be extremely fun to watch.
3. I hope by now that everyone can agree that Shaka and the staff can identify talent (even sleepers) and excels at player development.
4. I do not believe this year's team will be talked about down the road as one of the great teams during the Shaka era at MU. I firmly believe that the talent level will be at a much higher level 2-3 years down the road. It might be filled with better shooters or better defenders, but he will get players. I believe it is going to be interesting to see recruits that were lost that enter the portal and have multiple years yet to play. It would be hard to believe a kid not wanting to play this style of ball.
5. The only negative I have, which is a positive for this year, is repeating the magic of this team. I believe Shaka will have a great culture, but this team seems special beyond belief in this area. No ego's, no hero ball and a team drive to win. I credit Kolek for being the driving force, yet I could be wrong that.
6. Lastly, I 100% believe that Shaka is sharp enough to always be learning and making adjustments. Two years from now they might be top ten in defense because of the players recruited. I am not worried about the program being stale or not changing depending on personal.

To me, resurgence is becoming a program that is ranked far more than not ranked, plays meaningful games in March on a regular basis and has a chance to win the whole thing. I love MU ball like everyone on here, but not enough to put time/money into a team that is a bubble program. That is not fun, winning is fun. IMO, we have not even begun to see winning under Shaka.

All that said, after yesterday my bar was raised again for this year. Because of the chemistry (which I believe is off the charts), the style of play and success already had this year, I am counting on a real run in March.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 09:47:35 AM by Goose »

tower912

• All American
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2023, 09:33:38 AM »
If Emarion was healthy and had progressed at the same rate as the rest of the returnees....   

He reportedly had actually grown as well as added muscle.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2023, 09:33:44 AM »

Tyrese Hunter going from Iowa State to Texas was a definite NIL poach.

I am not sure I would say they have nothing to worry about, but I think it's a concern they need to be aware of and plan for. And I am sure they have.

Could we lose a player to NIL?  Sure.  Could we then turnaround and make an offer to a viable replacement and illustrate the caliber of team/program the new player would be joining?  Yes.

Winning BIG solves a lot of problems.  Shaka is the absolute perfect coach at the perfect time for MU.  His whole emphasis is on relationships/building culture.  He has the utmost respect from his players, and I suspect their parents too.  I don't think we will see many transfers out due to NIL, or due to discontent.

Shaka's got it figured out now:  His success and happiness is tied to growing 3-4 star players, into stars, and enjoying the growth in the relationship that happens over the 3-4 year timeframe, versus the 5 star one and done.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2023, 09:34:35 AM »
Chase's sledgehammer dunk yesterday surprised the announcer.....this kid will be electric in the open floor for several years in an MU uni.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2023, 09:37:27 AM »
This is my take on the resurgence of MU basketball and the state of the program:

1. The hiring of Shaka may prove to be the single greatest hire in MU history and not 100% based on basketball. Shaka and the program have an identity, is involved in the community and the face of Marquette. IMO, the this will be an outstanding marketing tool for the university as a whole. The MU community is at a high level of excitement at the moment and MU needs to capitalize on that.
2. There never was a doubt in mind that Shaka could coach, recruit and instill a system that would be extremely fun to watch.
3. I hope by now that everyone can agree that Shaka and the staff can identify talent (even sleepers) and excels at player development.
4. I do not believe this year's team will be talked about down the road as one of the great teams during the Shaka era at MU. I firmly believe that the talent level will be at a much higher level 2-3 years down the road. It might be filled with better shooters or better defenders, but he will get players. I believe it is going to be interesting to see recruits that were lost that enter the portal and have multiple years yet to play. It would be hard to believe a kid not wanting to play this style of ball.
5. The only negative I have, which is a positive for this year, is repeating the magic of this team. I believe Shaka will have a great culture, but this team seems special beyond belief in this area. No ego's, no hero ball and a team drive to win. I credit Kolek for being the driving force, yet I could be wrong that.
6. Lastly, I 100% believe that Shaka is sharp enough to always be learning and making adjustments. Two years from now they might be top ten in defense because of the players recruited. I am not worried about the program being stale or not changing depending on personal.

To me, resurgence is becoming a program that is ranked far more than not ranked, plays meaningful games in March on a regular basis and has a chance to win the whole thing. I love MU ball like everyone on here, but not enough to put time/money into a team that is a bubble program. That is not fun, winning is fun. IMO, we have not even begun to see winning under Shaka.

All that said, after yesterday my bar was raised again for this year. Because of the chemistry (which I believe is off the charts), the style of play and success already had this year, I am counting on a real run in March.

Great points Goose.  FWIW my definition of "Resurgence" in this context is a team squarely in the NCAA tournament every year with the potential to be a top 4 seed. 

Goose

• All American
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2023, 09:38:25 AM »
Dr. B

I have said it many times but I think the biggest reason for the lack of holes is because every guy is basketball player and not a project on this team. There is not a guy on this team that is not a basketball player first, followed by being an athletic basketball player. This team's underdogs bring tangible skills to the squad, not just I hope this guy really gets good. The closet I see to an underdog on this team is Stevie, if that is the case, they are in great shape.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2023, 09:46:25 AM »
brew

This team has not exceeded my expectations on number of wins so far this season, but the style and excitement are ahead of schedule, IMO. The excitement of this team is real and ahead of schedule. Never doubted it would be must see basketball, but it is even better than expected this season. Who knows, they might just be scratching the surface and more excitement to come down the road.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2023, 09:47:05 AM »
The biggest threat to continuity won't be players leaving early to go pro. It will be players considering transfers given the current rules and NIL.
I think the players really, really, really like Shaka, so this does not worry me anymore.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2023, 09:50:11 AM »
Dr. B

I have said it many times but I think the biggest reason for the lack of holes is because every guy is basketball player and not a project on this team. There is not a guy on this team that is not a basketball player first, followed by being an athletic basketball player. This team's underdogs bring tangible skills to the squad, not just I hope this guy really gets good. The closet I see to an underdog on this team is Stevie, if that is the case, they are in great shape.

I mostly agree, but I think there are "projects" on the roster. Itejere, Gold, Ellis come to mind. What's different versus Wojo (i.e., Cain) is that Shaka has a plan for their development. And he talks about their plan publicly in a way that we can understand how the pieces are fitting together. But I am sure it is more appreciated by those student athletes that they have a role now to develop and mature.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2023, 09:51:28 AM »

1. The hiring of Shaka may prove to be the single greatest hire in MU history and not 100% based on basketball. Shaka and the program have an identity, is involved in the community and the face of Marquette. IMO, the this will be an outstanding marketing tool for the university as a whole. The MU community is at a high level of excitement at the moment and MU needs to capitalize on that.

Excellent post, Goose.

My only quibble is that I don't think you give Oso enough credit in point #5 above. Like Kolek, he is a "connector" -- a highly intelligent, team-first guy who is always thinking about ways to put his teammates in position to succeed. The almost unbelievable degree to which he improved is relevant  -- it makes him a tremendous role model, and it speaks to Shaka's ability to both develop talent and think outside the box. There already have been a few national stories about Oso, and there will be dozens more during what we both expect will be a memorable month of March. Such notoriety can only help Shaka's recruiting.

Recruiting is never "easy," but I agree with you (and others) that Shaka's Marquette program will only get more attractive to kids who want to play in an incredibly fun, successful, share-the-ball system under a "cool" coach who simply gets it.

Could we lose a player to NIL?  Sure.  Could we then turnaround and make an offer to a viable replacement and illustrate the caliber of team/program the new player would be joining?  Yes.

Winning BIG solves a lot of problems.  Shaka is the absolute perfect coach at the perfect time for MU.  His whole emphasis is on relationships/building culture.  He has the utmost respect from his players, and I suspect their parents too.  I don't think we will see many transfers out due to NIL, or due to discontent.

Shaka's got it figured out now:  His success and happiness is tied to growing 3-4 star players, into stars, and enjoying the growth in the relationship that happens over the 3-4 year timeframe, versus the 5 star one and done.

Yep yep yep.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Goose

• All American
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2023, 09:54:32 AM »
Dr. B

Fair points. Aside from Keeyan, I do think Gold and Ellis are basketball players that need to be developed and that is a difference that Shaka seems to bring to the table. Definitely agree on the guys knowing their roles and how they need to improve to get playing time. It is refreshing to hear the coach share that with the fanbase.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2023, 09:58:38 AM »

As for #5, I was more talking the fxxk 'em attitude and how that carries over to winning. No doubt Oso has become a great leader this year, often he is the most vocal guy on the team. Again, I think Kolek brings that "it" factor on having an edge and expecting to win. There is not a guy on the team that is not pulling their weight, and all are easy to cheer for. I have said to my buddies and kids, if Joplin is our biggest frustration on the court, things are very, very good on Wisconsin Ave.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2023, 10:00:41 AM »

As for #5, I was more talking the fxxk 'em attitude and how that carries over to winning. No doubt Oso has become a great leader this year, often he is the most vocal guy on the team. Again, I think Kolek brings that "it" factor on having an edge and expecting to win. There is not a guy on the team that is not pulling their weight, and all are easy to cheer for. I have said to my buddies and kids, if Joplin is our biggest frustration on the court, things are very, very good on Wisconsin Ave.

Understood, and more great points.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2023, 10:01:42 AM »
brew

This team has not exceeded my expectations on number of wins so far this season, but the style and excitement are ahead of schedule, IMO. The excitement of this team is real and ahead of schedule. Never doubted it would be must see basketball, but it is even better than expected this season. Who knows, they might just be scratching the surface and more excitement to come down the road.

Agreed. I think my preseason win total at this point matches our actual record, but the way they play, the improvement (including in season), and the style all surprise me a bit.

One place I'll quibble, though, is how this team will be remembered. I think this team could be Shaka's George Thompson. I know Thompson didn't reach the level of success Al's teams in the 1970s would, but he set the stage. I think this team could be that and the one we look back at as "that was when everyone knew."
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #39 on: January 22, 2023, 10:07:27 AM »
brew

To me, last season will be remembered for being the team that got it going. I was never a GE guy, but he played a big role on changing the face of the program. Last year set the tone for this season and the program as a whole, IMO. Down the road, I think Tyler Kolek will be remembered for being Shaka's Brute Force. Not for talent or being a major recruit, but for creating the identity of the program. He will be the face of the Shaka era and the guy that got it going.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #40 on: January 22, 2023, 10:08:06 AM »
Dr. B

Fair points. Aside from Keeyan, I do think Gold and Ellis are basketball players that need to be developed and that is a difference that Shaka seems to bring to the table. Definitely agree on the guys knowing their roles and how they need to improve to get playing time. It is refreshing to hear the coach share that with the fanbase.

Remember one of these three will be leaving for better talent coming in. Hoping it is one of these three.  I have to believe the other 8 like Shaka and the program, to stay. Sean Jones might be on the shirt stick as Norman May take his minutes.  Time will tell

rgoode57

• Starter
« Reply #41 on: January 22, 2023, 10:11:24 AM »
Shaka going to Texas and MU getting Wojo was the best thing that could have possibly happened. Now Shaka knows what life is like at the "big job" and appreciates MU because of it. He seems to know he has a good thing at MU and I would be shocked if he left. It's like the stars lined up perfectly for both MU and Shaka and a long-term partnership has been born.

As far as this year's team is concerned, I enjoy watching them as much as anyone. I hope the players are having as much fun as we are watching them.  The Big East season is a grind, and it will be interesting to see how they hold up psychologically in the second half. Barring injury, I think they will be fine physically, but the mental and emotional strain must be hard for young players.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2023, 10:18:54 AM »
I had among the highest expectations for this team and they are still blowing past them. So I guess "F**k me" too :D

Shaka always talks about the potential he sees in guys, and takes responsibility if there are things he needs to do to help them get better.  That said, I doubt he thought the TEAM would reach this level this year either.  So maybe F**k him too!

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2023, 10:20:13 AM »
Remember one of these three will be leaving for better talent coming in. Hoping it is one of these three.  I have to believe the other 8 like Shaka and the program, to stay. Sean Jones might be on the shirt stick as Norman May take his minutes.  Time will tell

It is possible Oso and/or OMax test the NBA draft.  If Oso keeps improving as rapidly as we've seen this season, I think its plausible he could get drafted (despite not having a perimeter shot at this stage).  Oso turns just 21 in July.  Lots of upside there.

Yet, I think Oso also is the type of kid who can see how special the team could be next year, and if we don't advance far this season - he's inclined to want to run it back with his teammates.  If that happens, I think it's Keeyan who is the odd man out.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2023, 10:21:18 AM »
rgoode

Last year you could see the effort physically and the mental grind during the good run and it looked tiring to me. Simply, they were not good enough to sustain that without a perfect effort. This season, it looks like there is a lot left in the tank. I am not worried about a mental or physical letdown this season.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2023, 10:27:56 AM »
Three of our 5 starters -- Kolek, O-Max and Mitchell -- combined for 19 points, 6 assists, 7 turnovers and 4 rebounds.

Despite that, we had a 21-point victory on the road against a team that had won its previous 4 games.

We have a lot of way to beat opponents.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2023, 10:30:05 AM »

I think this take is off base to the plan.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #47 on: January 22, 2023, 10:49:07 AM »

You don't think Shaka will Crean anybody?

I think he'll go about it differently, maintaining the relationship, coaching the player to realize that they will get more playing time and have more fun by dropping down a level. But I bet he "recruits over" folks at the end of the day.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #48 on: January 22, 2023, 10:55:47 AM »
5 years to judge. What will happen when Wojo hasn’t gifted us the majority of our stellar starting lineup aina?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

BCHoopster

• All American
« Reply #49 on: January 22, 2023, 11:00:58 AM »

Somebody is leaving, and I do not believe Oso or Omax are NBA ready

feedback