[Today at 02:32:03 PM]

Marquette Football Update by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Vanilla in their defensive looks  (Read 1407 times)

tower912

• All American
Vanilla in their defensive looks
« on: January 24, 2023, 09:00:32 AM »
Brother Goose referenced that MU has been vanilla in their defensive looks this year.   Rather than sully a different thread, and because we have the rest of the week to kill before the game Saturday, what defensive changes do you want to see going forward?
1.  When possible, when Joplin is on the floor, have him guard a post player.  On the other board, Jop was compared to Justin defensively, meaning not quite quick enough in space to guard quick players.   I get that.
2.  Mix up the pick and roll defense.  Don't always switch all 5 spots.   Try to avoid getting Kolek guarding Sanogo for for example.
3.  Keep going on the traps and double teams.   But don't have your only two non-guards perform the double team, leaving three 6'3 guys to protect the paint.
4.  I like the full court pressure.  The lack of it recently tells me that the guys are getting a little tired, hence my concern about fatigue.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Re: Vanilla in their defensive looks
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2023, 09:07:34 AM »
Brother Goose referenced that MU has been vanilla in their defensive looks this year.   Rather than sully a different thread, and because we have the rest of the week to kill before the game Saturday, what defensive changes do you want to see going forward?
1.  When possible, when Joplin is on the floor, have him guard a post player.  On the other board, Jop was compared to Justin defensively, meaning not quite quick enough in space to guard quick players.   I get that.
2.  Mix up the pick and roll defense.  Don't always switch all 5 spots.   Try to avoid getting Kolek guarding Sanogo for for example.
3.  Keep going on the traps and double teams.   But don't have your only two non-guards perform the double team, leaving three 6'3 guys to protect the paint.
4.  I like the full court pressure.  The lack of it recently tells me that the guys are getting a little tired, hence my concern about fatigue.

Regarding #4 I mentioned it a bit leading up to the SHU game when someone brought up potential fatigue being an issue late in games.

We have this week of between games for a reason. Thats because only 3 of the other 10 BE teams have played 10 leagues games with us already. Creighton only has 8. Those 3 teams all have 5 or more losses as well.

We just played a grinder of 3 games in 1 week. I think with some rest we will see a little more pressure at times.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2023, 09:31:33 AM »
#2 is a big one for me. The guys need to realize when a switch is a need. They've been punished a bunch on soft switches over the last few games.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2023, 09:34:21 AM »
tower

I am not sure it is fatigue that caused the D to look more vanilla or the quality of teams they were playing. For about the past month, every time I hear Shaka talk about the defense needing to get better has had me thinking he might have something up his sleeve. MU will likely need to steal a game or two between and early April and quite possibly different defensive looks might be the reason why it happens. IMO, this team is the potential to be much better on defense.

StillWarriors

• All American
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2023, 09:47:29 AM »

It seems the bench minutes have been a little shorter in some recent games. I wonder if that also has something to do with it.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2023, 10:20:15 AM »
We've definitely reduced the number of full court pressure possessions per game.  I suspect that was from a combination of evaluating risk/reward (turnovers generated versus easy baskets allowed), and to limit fatigue - especially for O-Max as he burned a ton of energy being at the point of the press.

It also seems as though we've gone to more trapping in the halfcourt.  On the whole I feel both of these modifications are good adjustments and will pay dividends as we move forward.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2023, 10:44:36 AM »
My preference is laid back zone press that turns into a trap at the 10 second line or baseline.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2023, 10:45:10 AM »
We've definitely reduced the number of full court pressure possessions per game.  I suspect that was from a combination of evaluating risk/reward (turnovers generated versus easy baskets allowed), and to limit fatigue - especially for O-Max as he burned a ton of energy being at the point of the press.

It also seems as though we've gone to more trapping in the halfcourt.  On the whole I feel both of these modifications are good adjustments and will pay dividends as we move forward.
I agree with this anaysis.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • βœ… Verified Member
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2023, 10:46:21 AM »
You know what, the guys aren't getting lost on defense and they're communicating really well. The gripe may be that we're giving vanilla looks on D, but the execution has been pretty good. That's such a wonderful foundation to build on.

Part of the execution that I'd like to see tightened up is how weak our trapping is. It's like the guys read about trapping instead of ever having experienced effective trapping. I'd like to get a little more aggressive with it instead of giving the ball handler so much space. We'll get there.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2023, 10:59:33 AM »

Excellent post Tower.  I pretty much agree with your points.  I would also add that we're getting beat in stretches off the dribble drive and our help is sonetimex late on the  interior.  I would like to see us draw some charges defensively. 

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2023, 11:13:18 AM »
I personally think the point of our press is to speed up the other team/game.  When a team already plays fast pace it isnt needed as often.  I would add against better teams it is less effective at forcing turnovers.

No one seems tired out there - our rotation is as deep as it gets. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 11:16:08 AM by Frenns Liquor Depot »

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2023, 11:26:15 AM »
Oh? Iz Joey back on da teem, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2023, 11:54:11 AM »
Given that there are two players on the team who - if they get in foul trouble - cannot be replaced with anything near the same level of effectiveness, and given the inconsistency of BEAST refs, Shaka has been smart to protect Oso and Omax with vanilla schemes

If there is ever a minute or two when both are off the court - then is the time to press... with Ross, Mitchell, S. Jones.  But that scenario means Gold would be at the 5 and hopefully Kolek is on the court to provide adult supervision.  Hardly the most efficient offensive lineup unless they get 2 minutes of points off TO's.

Sooo... maybe better to stick with Vanilla.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

MU82

• All American
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2023, 12:19:52 PM »
Oh? Iz Joey back on da teem, hey?

Teeing it up for me, but I'll resist.
β€œIt’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback