[Today at 04:18:31 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by IL Warrior
[Today at 02:09:27 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by barfolomew
[Today at 02:08:20 PM]

2024-25 Outlook by GoldenEagles03
[Today at 01:48:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Restaurants Thread  (Read 19471 times)

Sir Lawrence

• All American
Re: Restaurants Thread
« Reply #225 on: August 29, 2023, 07:54:48 PM »
Any restaurant suggestions for Rome and Florence?  We will be there next month before heading up to Oktoberfest.
Save up your calories for Münich.
Ludum habemus.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #226 on: August 29, 2023, 07:59:00 PM »
Any restaurant suggestions for Rome and Florence?  We will be there next month before heading up to Oktoberfest.

Get the Open Table App if you don't have and you'll need to make reservations for dinner every night. 
Make your morning routine figuring out where you want to eat and make a reservation and note that restaurants don't open until 6:30 or 7:00.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #227 on: August 29, 2023, 08:37:28 PM »

I was in both in April 2022 with my older daughter.  She just wanted homemade pasta and we found a list of the 10 Best for Pasta in Florence and the Bistecca Santa Croce came up as #1.  it's on Santa Croce square and my daughter swears the list got it right and the best pasta she ever had.

Was in Munchen in November 2022.  Loved it.  Always ate in a beer hall. Helles or Dunkel beer.  I'm sure Oktoberfest Fest is different.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2023, 11:58:27 AM by MU Fan in Connecticut »

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #228 on: August 30, 2023, 10:09:24 AM »
Had a shot of bitters on Saturday night on Washington Island (Door County) at Nelson's Hall & Bitter's Club, which stakes a claim as the longest continuingly operating pub in WI - they served drink sized potions of bitters through prohibition.  And they still sell 10,000 plus shots annually--Angastora Bitters biggest client.

https://www.facebook.com/nelsenshallandbittersclub/

I think I would rather spread those bitters among a couple dozen old fashioneds.
Have some patience, FFS.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #229 on: September 04, 2023, 04:22:16 PM »
I think I would rather spread those bitters among a couple dozen old fashioneds.

Ahhh...if that were the only choice, I would agree with you.  But I did both!

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #230 on: September 04, 2023, 06:46:59 PM »
Ahhh...if that were the only choice, I would agree with you.  But I did both!

TMI

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #231 on: September 27, 2023, 07:43:55 PM »
Anyone try The Saucy Pig in St. Francis?

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #232 on: September 27, 2023, 09:24:55 PM »
Anyone try The Saucy Pig in St. Francis?

I used to know the guy that owns that place (The Saucy Swine). I've been meaning to go but I make it up to Milwaukee like never. Let me know how it is!

shoothoops

• All American
« Reply #233 on: October 17, 2023, 11:10:00 AM »
Non Solo Piada.

37th and 8th Avenue, near Penn Station, NYC. (Casual Italian)

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #234 on: October 19, 2023, 04:15:33 PM »
A few to throw there for those traveling to Paris:

114 Faubourg was very good. Just a hard bill to stomach.

Chef's a Table wins for best meal in Paris the week we were there. Everything was perfect, they had a vegetarian or "classic" tasting menu and both were phenomenal. Would have eaten there again if we had gone earlier in the week the first time.

DC:
- Brunch at Unconventional Diner
- Rasika (west end) for Indian. Holy crap what a meal I had there this week. Still thinking about the Palak Chaat and Lamb Biryani.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #235 on: October 19, 2023, 04:23:50 PM »
That whole burger conversation over on the main page has me thinking. Has anyone actually had a burger in Milwaukee that compares to the top burgers in Chicago?

I'm talking places like
Au Cheval
Loyalist
Little Bad Wolf
Big Kids
Mott Street
Maigh Eo for Sam

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #236 on: October 19, 2023, 04:41:53 PM »
That whole burger conversation over on the main page has me thinking. Has anyone actually had a burger in Milwaukee that compares to the top burgers in Chicago?

I'm talking places like
Au Cheval
Loyalist
Little Bad Wolf
Big Kids
Mott Street

Yes.  Au Cheval and Little Bad Wolf are the only ones that are noticeably better than Oscar's.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2023, 04:43:26 PM by withoutbias »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #237 on: October 19, 2023, 04:44:05 PM »
Yes.  Au Cheval and Big Kids are the only ones that are noticeably better than Oscar's.

Haven't been to Oscar's since 2013 so I must be remembering poorly through the haze of day drinking.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #238 on: October 19, 2023, 04:44:56 PM »

I'm talking places like
Au Cheval
Loyalist
Little Bad Wolf
Big Kids
Mott Street

Can we add Kuma's Corner?

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #239 on: October 19, 2023, 04:53:59 PM »

I'm talking places like
Au Cheval
Loyalist
Little Bad Wolf
Big Kids
Mott Street
I thought Conde Nast was a reputable publication:

https://www.cntraveler.com/stories/2016-04-08/the-best-burgers-in-america-top-15-cities

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #240 on: October 19, 2023, 04:59:20 PM »
Can we add Kuma's Corner?

I'd call that the most overrated burger in the Chicagoland area but I suppose if you like a classic pub burger i can see the appeal.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #241 on: October 19, 2023, 07:32:36 PM »
Burger categories:

Fast food/cheap: Redhot Ranch, Five Guys
Good burgers, no price limit: Owen & Engine (rip), Armitage Alehouse
Burgers with lots of toppings: Don't care, these burgers are not good. Kumas is in this category and is a bad burger buried under toppings

Oscars and Culvers have no place in this conversation. Kinda ridiculous they're even brought up in the thread on the main board.

I haven't had a great burger in Milwaukee, but I haven't been to Milwaukee for dinner in like 10 years.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #242 on: October 19, 2023, 07:54:36 PM »
Burger categories:

Fast food/cheap: Redhot Ranch, Five Guys
Good burgers, no price limit: Owen & Engine (rip), Armitage Alehouse
Burgers with lots of toppings: Don't care, these burgers are not good. Kumas is in this category and is a bad burger buried under toppings

Oscars and Culvers have no place in this conversation. Kinda ridiculous they're even brought up in the thread on the main board.

I haven't had a great burger in Milwaukee, but I haven't been to Milwaukee for dinner in like 10 years.

Are you thinking Oscar’s Frozen Custard? Because that’s closer to Culver’s. Oscar’s Pub is nothing like Culver’s.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #243 on: October 19, 2023, 08:30:17 PM »
Are you thinking Oscar’s Frozen Custard? Because that’s closer to Culver’s. Oscar’s Pub is nothing like Culver’s.

Ahh that makes more sense. Yeah, I was thinking Oscars Frozen Custard since that's been around for a long time. I honestly thought you all were nuts.

Appreciate the correction.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #244 on: October 21, 2023, 08:45:01 AM »
I thought Conde Nast was a reputable publication:

https://www.cntraveler.com/stories/2016-04-08/the-best-burgers-in-america-top-15-cities

That list loses all credibility when they have Parlour’s burger on the list.  Meh.

This summer, discovered Deer’s Bar in Deer Park. Tiny little town, drove by the place for years. The place has a “turn of the century” vibe to it. The burgers are outstanding. Worth the drive.  A top ten burger on my list.  Drinks are cheap too (as they should be in a Wisconsin Northwoods bar). 

https://www.facebook.com/deersbar/

They have their own meat locker across the street, so the meat is always fresh…never frozen.

King’s Place is noteworthy too. Out of the way, but close enough.  Worthy burger destination.

https://kingsplacebar.com/

« Last Edit: October 21, 2023, 09:41:12 AM by real chili 83 »

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #245 on: October 23, 2023, 10:06:45 PM »
Finally got to Rose Mary tonight. 100% worth it. Absolutely delicious would recommend everything we got.

Straciatella
Tuna Crudo
Gnocchi
Squid ink risotto
Cevapi (Serbian sausages)
Maigh Eo for Sam

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #246 on: November 06, 2023, 03:02:18 PM »
Went to Cavas in Milwaukee last Saturday. Do not go. One of the worst meals I've had. Any place claiming "artisan baguette" and plops down a room temperature white bread sub sandwich roll needs to reevaluate whether they should be in business. Cannot believe it has the ratings on yelp, google and Facebook it has.
Maigh Eo for Sam

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #247 on: November 06, 2023, 03:21:52 PM »
Finally got to Rose Mary tonight. 100% worth it. Absolutely delicious would recommend everything we got.

Straciatella
Tuna Crudo
Gnocchi
Squid ink risotto
Cevapi (Serbian sausages)

Went to Cavas in Milwaukee last Saturday. Do not go. One of the worst meals I've had. Any place claiming "artisan baguette" and plops down a room temperature white bread sub sandwich roll needs to reevaluate whether they should be in business. Cannot believe it has the ratings on yelp, google and Facebook it has.

We get it.  Chicago is awesome and everything in Milwaukee sucks ass.

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #248 on: November 06, 2023, 03:25:18 PM »
I have reservations at Alchemist and Noma this week. I'm very excited.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #249 on: November 06, 2023, 04:37:28 PM »
I have reservations at Alchemist and Noma this week. I'm very excited.

Unreal lineup.  Even more so considering Noma’s short remaining future. I’d tentatively planned Copenhagen, including Noma, for my 40th in 2025 with my wife and my friend and his wife who has a similar bday.  That took a hit when that was announced