[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Katz has MU in Final Four by MurphysTillClose
[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Restaurants Thread  (Read 17733 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Restaurants Thread
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2023, 09:57:14 PM »
El Salvador Restaurant across the street from St. Josaphat makes an excellent pupusa. Highly reccomend
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2023, 10:12:36 PM »
And…

Carpaccio is as close to a perfect dish as I've ever had.

Mussels were divine

Fish & chips were a bit overrated, I've had better in Galway at most spots and in Chicago at Duke of Perth while my wife didn't even think they met the ones at Lakefront Brewery.

Missed my usual order of marrow and a burger.
Maigh Eo for Sam

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2023, 10:26:17 PM »
Perch, you say.

The Village Pump on Kelley’s Island.

Killer homemade tartar.

http://www.villagepumpkioh.com/menu-to-go.html

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2023, 12:15:26 AM »
Next's Paris: 1906 experience was pretty good.

The food was excellent from beginning to end. Service was a little disjointed, with the more senior servers clearly irritated with the newbies that were a little lost. The Somm was weak. We had the 'Ultra' pairing, which was nice, but we didn't get much beyond the year/producer from the Somm. He was interested in chatting about other things. Good folks, good food, but we honestly had a better time at the bar of Swift and Sons than we did at dinner tonight.

Alinea group needs to get their crap together, imo.

Edit: My wild guess is that they're spicing in interns or replacement workers with the professionals, and it's impacting their level of service. The service isn't bad, but the service at Alinea/Next was below that of a 1 star resto. Really odd experiences, especially since it's twice now.

Restos that are up next, thanks to recommendations from good friends:
Ever: https://www.ever-restaurant.com/
Smyth: https://www.smythandtheloyalist.com/smyth/
« Last Edit: January 14, 2023, 12:24:28 AM by Skatastrophy »

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2023, 09:11:27 PM »
Bayan Ko in Ravenswood tonight.  Have been trying to get there for a few years and could never make it work.  Cuban-Filipino spot, and we went with good friends - he is Cuban and she is Filipino.  Outstanding- tried 8 different dishes and the only one which was just ok was an oxtail bare bare where the peanut sauce was too heavy.  Everything else was an A.  Highly recommend (also, BYOB which makes it more affordable).

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2023, 10:32:22 PM »
Bayan Ko in Ravenswood tonight.  Have been trying to get there for a few years and could never make it work.  Cuban-Filipino spot, and we went with good friends - he is Cuban and she is Filipino.  Outstanding- tried 8 different dishes and the only one which was just ok was an oxtail bare bare where the peanut sauce was too heavy.  Everything else was an A.  Highly recommend (also, BYOB which makes it more affordable).

Nice tip, we'll check it out.

I just spent 10 minutes under the warming light at the Montrose stop a hour ago, heading home from Bad Apple (pretty good burgers). Strangers passing in the night!

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #56 on: January 22, 2023, 07:32:05 AM »

I just spent 10 minutes under the warming light at the Montrose stop a hour ago, heading home from Bad Apple (pretty good burgers). Strangers passing in the night!

Bad apple is one of my all time favorites

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #57 on: January 22, 2023, 07:57:06 AM »
Dined at Lupi & Iris last night.  Great atmosphere.  I recognized our waiter from Mason Street Grill. He said he needed a fresh start. 

Everything was good.  Bring your wallet. 
It will be interesting to see if it makes it with that pricing in Milwaukee.  It was full last night. 
Ludum habemus.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #58 on: January 22, 2023, 01:25:48 PM »
Sir

I have not heard a bad thing about Lupi & Iris, aside from the price. Everyone that I know who had been there raved more about the food/service over complaining on price. On my list of places to try.

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #59 on: January 22, 2023, 04:24:38 PM »
Sir

I have not heard a bad thing about Lupi & Iris, aside from the price. Everyone that I know who had been there raved more about the food/service over complaining on price. On my list of places to try.

Goose, I’d be interested in your take on the place.  The atmosphere is very cool.  And the wood fired oven brings the great smell.  We enjoyed our meal.  Sea Bass for me and Mrs. Sir Lawrence had a bone in NY strip.  Her opinion is that it wasn’t quite Eddie Martini quality.
Ludum habemus.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #60 on: January 22, 2023, 05:24:36 PM »
Sir

I will definitely drop you a note. With Dry January still going and upcoming Lent, it might be several months before we get there.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #61 on: January 22, 2023, 05:42:01 PM »
Sea Bass for me and Mrs. Sir Dame Lawrence had a bone in NY strip.

FIFY

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #62 on: January 22, 2023, 05:50:22 PM »
FIFY

Bravo!  Thank you for the education.  Always learning.
Ludum habemus.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #63 on: January 22, 2023, 10:03:48 PM »

Lol- next time!

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #64 on: January 22, 2023, 10:06:15 PM »

The food was excellent from beginning to end. Service was a little disjointed, with the more senior servers clearly irritated with the newbies that were a little lost. The Somm was weak. We had the 'Ultra' pairing, which was nice, but we didn't get much beyond the year/producer from the Somm. He was interested in chatting about other things. Good folks, good food, but we honestly had a better time at the bar of Swift and Sons than we did at dinner tonight.

Edit: My wild guess is that they're spicing in interns or replacement workers with the professionals, and it's impacting their level of service. The service isn't bad, but the service at Alinea/Next was below that of a 1 star resto. Really odd experiences, especially since it's twice now.

They are really pumping Roister (chicken and waffles one of my favorites) on social media, so I’m wondering if there is an issue there.

Rose Mary for us next week.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2023, 10:08:27 PM »

Oh- and speaking of good burgers- the Loyalist - below your upcoming Smyth reservation - has outstanding burgers!

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2023, 10:15:12 PM »
Oh- and speaking of good burgers- the Loyalist - below your upcoming Smyth reservation - has outstanding burgers!

+1 I personally think it's better than au Cheval but everybody seems to think I'm insane for that lol don't sleep on the deviled eggs there either!
Maigh Eo for Sam

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2023, 11:02:52 AM »
+1 I personally think it's better than au Cheval but everybody seems to think I'm insane for that lol don't sleep on the deviled eggs there either!

Loyalist is definitely above Au Cheval.

After (bar side of Ever) is a great spot as well. We had a lot of fun going there for pre-Rose Mary cocktails.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2023, 10:25:07 PM »
Rose Mary tonight.  It was regular - not restaurant week- menu.  We had Zucchini fritters, Branzino and tortellini.  Had the palačinke for dessert- an apple, toffee and vanilla ice cream in kind of a crepe-they heard us debating between that and the pistachio gelato, so waitress brought that too on the house.  Amazing, concentrated pistachio flavor. 

Food was very good, and actually a surprisingly good value.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2023, 11:26:30 AM »
Alinea was a great experience, though they did lean into a very black truffle heavy presentation.  Which is fine, but can be and was a bit overwhelming in terms of flavor.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2023, 11:34:00 AM »
Rose Mary tonight.  It was regular - not restaurant week- menu.  We had Zucchini fritters, Branzino and tortellini.  Had the palačinke for dessert- an apple, toffee and vanilla ice cream in kind of a crepe-they heard us debating between that and the pistachio gelato, so waitress brought that too on the house.  Amazing, concentrated pistachio flavor. 

Food was very good, and actually a surprisingly good value.

Been on the fence about going because I've heard it's been pretty inconsistent but based on this I'll give it a shot.

Have you ever made your way down to Autre Monde locally?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2023, 11:35:06 AM »
Alinea was a great experience, though they did lean into a very black truffle heavy presentation.  Which is fine, but can be and was a bit overwhelming in terms of flavor.

Which experience did you do? Isn't there one that's supposed to incorporate a show or something around the courses?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2023, 11:42:48 AM »
Which experience did you do? Isn't there one that's supposed to incorporate a show or something around the courses?

My wife booked it.  The main course was a5 SOS with black truffle.  But the desert was deconstructed banana split.

Maybe it was a play on comfort food?  But there were elements that would make me question that as well.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2023, 01:42:31 PM »
Been on the fence about going because I've heard it's been pretty inconsistent but based on this I'll give it a shot.

Have you ever made your way down to Autre Monde locally?

Many times, most recently for an early, old couple type NYE dinner (before their 9:00 pre fixe menu).  I think it's a terrific option locally-different than anything else in the OP/RF/FP area (after all, it is in Berwyn!); closest would be Amerikas.  Excellent cocktails too.  And I think they have a pre fixe menu on Mondays.

Two other spots in Berwyn that I really like:  La Parra (fun, young, good food, great cocktails, LOUD; Mrs. Legs likes the waiters and bartenders) and LaVergne's Tavern (I'd go just for the Italian beef egg rolls).

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2023, 01:47:31 PM »
Many times, most recently for an early, old couple type NYE dinner (before their 9:00 pre fixe menu).  I think it's a terrific option locally-different than anything else in the OP/RF/FP area (after all, it is in Berwyn!); closest would be Amerikas.  Excellent cocktails too.  And I think they have a pre fixe menu on Mondays.

Two other spots in Berwyn that I really like:  La Parra (fun, young, good food, great cocktails, LOUD; Mrs. Legs likes the waiters and bartenders) and LaVergne's Tavern (I'd go just for the Italian beef egg rolls).

Hah we did the same thing, think we went there at 5pm on NYE because every other time was sold out!

Been thinking about checking out one of their new Monday pre fixe menus. Love La Parra, and Amerikas, I may say Rustico or Citrine have some stuff that can hang with them & Autre Monde but overall 100% agree that Autre Monde is a notch above.

Haven't been to Lavergne's, I'll be sure to check it out soon now that I'm kitchenless for two months.

Also saw today the sous chef from Gaetanos is opening up a new Italian spot in the old space on Madison. Hopefully it's remotely on par with the old spot!
Maigh Eo for Sam

feedback