'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: F(ou)ND a way  (Read 9267 times)

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
Re: F(ou)ND a way
« Reply #75 on: December 11, 2022, 08:54:12 PM »
Shaka likes to play fast. Shaka like his defenders to be able to guard multiple positions.

Justin was a really good player but not a very good fit.

So as much as I liked Justin, I agree.
LOL
Goal is National Championship

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #76 on: December 11, 2022, 08:54:58 PM »
I don’t know if this was mentioned in another thread, but kudos to the MU fans out at the game today. Not sure how it came across on tv, but it was loud from the MU faithful. Post game parking lot was a party as well, loud “WE ARE” chants walking to the car.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #77 on: December 11, 2022, 08:58:28 PM »
I don’t know if this was mentioned in another thread, but kudos to the MU fans out at the game today. Not sure how it came across on tv, but it was loud from the MU faithful. Post game parking lot was a party as well, loud “WE ARE” chants walking to the car.
Not sweater vests
Goal is National Championship

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #78 on: December 11, 2022, 09:01:01 PM »
I mean it’s not like David Joplin is the definition of elite speed, and he sees plenty of minutes. Dylan Osetkowske played 30 minutes per game for Shaka. People here think Ben Gold is going to develop into an NBA player under Shaka. Justin is significantly more athletic in every way than all of those guys. And better defensively than Gold and Joplin. Don’t remember Osetkowske being a lockdown defender who was jumping passing lanes either.

I get your point here.  Joplin is an interesting case.  He definitely is less athletic than Justin, by a pretty wide margin.  Yet Jop's 46% shooting from 3 is Elite (it will likely fall down as the season goes on), but he does have elite scoring ability and is playing a perfect role and just 18 minutes per game.

Ben Gold is 6'11" and has good upside, though I'm not sure I see NBA in his future unless he massively improves his 3 point shooting.  Justin is a 6'6 tweener with marginal NBA athleticism at best.  There's a reason he was the "Best Available" Player for roughly the last 10 picks and yet no team drafted him. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #79 on: December 11, 2022, 09:01:29 PM »
I'm just glad we somehow found a way to prevail in the kind of slower-paced game that we have ZERO chance of winning. Or so the story went.

Otherwise ...

I'll disagree with the take that having a first-team All-Big East player -- whom I believe would have only gotten better as he gained more experience within Shaka's system -- would have somehow made this Marquette basketball team worse. But I can't prove my take any more than others can prove the opposite take, so whatevs.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #80 on: December 11, 2022, 09:06:08 PM »

We Are (clap clap) Marquette! was prevalent on TV.  Kudos to those that attended.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #81 on: December 11, 2022, 09:07:21 PM »

We heard you loud and clear.  Even the broadcasters mentioned it.
Have some patience, FFS.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #82 on: December 11, 2022, 09:23:03 PM »
I mean it’s not like David Joplin is the definition of elite speed, and he sees plenty of minutes. Dylan Osetkowske played 30 minutes per game for Shaka. People here think Ben Gold is going to develop into an NBA player under Shaka. Justin is significantly more athletic in every way than all of those guys. And better defensively than Gold and Joplin. Don’t remember Osetkowske being a lockdown defender who was jumping passing lanes either.

I don’t think anyone would argue that David Joplin or Ben Gold would take Justin’s minutes. In fact, if he were here and healthy he’d be playing 30+. Some question are, under those circumstances, would we be a better team, where would Kam be, how much would he take from Oso’s role, etc. No way to know for sure, but I think when your best player is a poor fit for the system it can present problems. I think Sultan is right - even a really good square peg isn’t optimal for a round hole.

nycwarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #83 on: December 11, 2022, 09:26:05 PM »
Along with hearing “WE ARE…MAR-QUETTE” echo through the building live…

And watching the MU walk-ons take the floor…

It was really sweet to see the ND sweatervests heading for the doors with four minutes left on the clock.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #84 on: December 11, 2022, 09:32:09 PM »
I don’t think anyone would argue that David Joplin or Ben Gold would take Justin’s minutes. In fact, if he were here and healthy he’d be playing 30+. Some question are, under those circumstances, would we be a better team, where would Kam be, how much would he take from Oso’s role, etc. No way to know for sure, but I think when your best player is a poor fit for the system it can present problems. I think Sultan is right - even a really good square peg isn’t optimal for a round hole.

And I disagree that Lewis would have been a "square peg" -- and I also trust that Shaka, our outstanding coach, would have implemented Justin's considerable talent in a way that would have made us a better team.

For example, some have bemoaned the fact that we haven't been able to pull out close games. You know who played a major role in us pulling out several close wins last season? The first-team All-Big East guy.

Again, we're debating unprovables ... but I guess that's what Scoop is for.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #85 on: December 11, 2022, 09:35:15 PM »
Justin Lewis was Marquette's overall best player last year.  He would most likely be Marquette's overall best player this year.  However, he's not playing for Marquette this year. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #86 on: December 11, 2022, 09:44:36 PM »
Justin Lewis was Marquette's overall best player last year.  He would most likely be Marquette's overall best player this year.  However, he's not playing for Marquette this year.

Good summary, rocky.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #87 on: December 11, 2022, 09:54:32 PM »
I was expecting MU to take a step forward this year regardless of whether Lewis came back or not. I can’t say a bad word about Lewis though. He was a huge part in making the MU season enjoyable last year and for that I’m thankful.

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #88 on: December 11, 2022, 10:02:46 PM »

Well said Lenny.

And I disagree that Lewis would have been a "square peg" -- and I also trust that Shaka, our outstanding coach, would have implemented Justin's considerable talent in a way that would have made us a better team.

For example, some have bemoaned the fact that we haven't been able to pull out close games. You know who played a major role in us pulling out several close wins last season? The first-team All-Big East guy.

Again, we're debating unprovables ... but I guess that's what Scoop is for.

And this also has merit too.  ^^

What is interesting to consider:  Justin's O-Rating of 101.9 from last year would be basically tied with Stevie Mitchell at 101.4 as the worst in our starting lineup.  Granted, higher usage at 26% but O-Max is at 22.4% usage and a 117.5 O-Rating.

I think Justin probably would have impeded O-Max and Oso's development most. Our 3 guard lineup this year is very productive.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 10:12:49 PM by Elonsmusk »

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #89 on: December 11, 2022, 10:04:41 PM »
One brief complaint about the walk-ons.  Number 51 walk-on needs to spread the wealth. These guys get about 10 possessions per year where they can, as a unit, take a shot.  He took our only look today AND he took the two looks they had in the Baylor game.  Name on the front of the jersey, 51!

Not teal.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #90 on: December 11, 2022, 10:11:07 PM »

It would be hard to be Marquette's overall best player this year with a torn ACL.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #91 on: December 11, 2022, 10:11:40 PM »
I think Justin probably would have impeded O-Max and Oso's development most. Our 3 guard lineup this year is very productive.

We'll agree to disagree. We'll also never know.

Again, I would have gladly trusted Shaka Smart to make it work.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #92 on: December 11, 2022, 10:13:42 PM »
It would be hard to be Marquette's overall best player this year with a torn ACL.

It would be hard to be a (former) NBA 2 way contract guy this year if you were still playing for Marquette.   Yours is a weird argument.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #93 on: December 11, 2022, 10:19:02 PM »
He's gonna take a medical redshirt this year (cue BeeJay) and be back on blue & gold next year better than before.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MuMark

• All American

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #95 on: December 11, 2022, 10:52:29 PM »
Worst non conference home loss ever for ND under Mike Brey……

https://www.ndinsider.com/story/sports/mens-basketball/2022/12/12/college-basketball-marquette-give-notre-dame-a-big-east-lesson-sunday-in-south-bend/69699318007/

Wow...that article just eviscerated the current state of Notre Dame basketball, The ACC, Brey, et al. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #96 on: December 11, 2022, 11:04:36 PM »
Anyone know if that was our biggest win at the Joyce? I can only find data going back to the 90s.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #97 on: December 11, 2022, 11:09:21 PM »

It would be hard to argue that Justin would have a torn ACL in any other situation.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 11:11:05 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

BLWarrior91

• All American
« Reply #98 on: December 11, 2022, 11:27:04 PM »
1.  Defense travels.  Switching all 5 positions.  What MU has done really well over the last two seasons is switch big for small off the ball.  Trying to avoid more Sean Jones getting posted up.
2.  I love the 9 man rotation. They all are playing d. (see 1)
3.  Joplin wants to score so badly that he is out of control.  Just a dumb play.   Watching his body language lately, he is frustrated. 
4. Kam, on the other hand, is not.  Have yourself a game, young man.
5.  Keep kvetching, but Stevie has Shaka's trust (for good reason) and will continue to start.
6.  9 man rotation.  Three juniors, three sophomores, three. freshmen.  Only one has more than 1 season at MU.   Ponder that.
7.  I am impressed by the freshmen.  The game was put away by the starters
8.   Putting in the walk-ons on the road because it is in the bag.   Priceless.
9.  Few things sweeter.

Great points, Tower. 

We went 1-7 against ND while I was at MU so this is very sweet.

BTW…I had two years in Tower 911.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #99 on: December 12, 2022, 12:39:16 AM »
Well said Lenny.

And this also has merit too.  ^^

What is interesting to consider:  Justin's O-Rating of 101.9 from last year would be basically tied with Stevie Mitchell at 101.4 as the worst in our starting lineup.  Granted, higher usage at 26% but O-Max is at 22.4% usage and a 117.5 O-Rating.

Really unfair to compare anyone to Omax, who is arguably the third best offensive talent of the past decade behind Markus and Magic Dawson