'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: F(ou)ND a way  (Read 9259 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: F(ou)ND a way
« Reply #100 on: December 12, 2022, 05:10:05 AM »
Great points, Tower. 

We went 1-7 against ND while I was at MU so this is very sweet.

BTW…I had two years in Tower 911.
And I had two years in Tower 912.   Great room.  Great view.   0-8 while I was there.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #101 on: December 12, 2022, 05:11:51 AM »
Celebrating with a beer…and NO, Joe Montana, it’s not a Guinness!

Don't you want to play just one Sunday?

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #102 on: December 12, 2022, 05:19:55 AM »
Great points, Tower. 

We went 1-7 against ND while I was at MU so this is very sweet.

BTW…I had two years in Tower 911.

I did not live in Tower but beating ND is always sweet!
Not sure if we ever beat ND in my tenure 1987-1991?  At least it sure didn't feel like it.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 07:45:20 AM by MU Fan in Connecticut »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #103 on: December 12, 2022, 05:33:20 AM »
Anyone know if that was our biggest win at the Joyce? I can only find data going back to the 90s.

In that building? Yes. Our biggest margin in South Bend? No. We beat ND 47-22 on February 18, 1939. That would stand as our largest margin in the series until the 92-66 win in 2008, though that was in Milwaukee.

https://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/notre_dame
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #104 on: December 12, 2022, 05:59:33 AM »
For those who were at the game did Jop really commit a flagrant 2? Even the announcers mentioned from their vantage point they could not tell and I don't recall seeing any replays. Is that call kind of automatic where the refs have no leeway whether it is intentional or not?

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #105 on: December 12, 2022, 06:02:10 AM »
Not sure if we ever beat ND in my tenure 1987-1991?  At least it sure didn't feel like it.

We beat them once in that span. Don’t remember the exact date, but it was a Saturday morning game in December 1989.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #106 on: December 12, 2022, 06:15:05 AM »
In that building? Yes. Our biggest margin in South Bend? No. We beat ND 47-22 on February 18, 1939. That would stand as our largest margin in the series until the 92-66 win in 2008, though that was in Milwaukee.

https://wiki.muscoop.com/doku.php/men_s_basketball/notre_dame

So we are 12-9 vs the Irish over the last 30 years; not bad for a team that seems to have our number.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #107 on: December 12, 2022, 06:42:26 AM »
So we are 12-9 vs the Irish over the last 30 years; not bad for a team that seems to have our number.

If my quick count was right, 17-51 before 1960, then renewed the series a decade later. The all-time series mark of 39-80 looks bad, but we were -34 in the first 50 years, just -7 (22-29) in the 52 years since.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #108 on: December 12, 2022, 06:53:09 AM »
I did not love in Tower but beating ND is always sweet!

Happy to say I did love in Tower fairly often when I lived there as a sophomore!

As for ND, I was fortunate enough to see us go 3-1 against them while I was at MU, including twice when they were a top-10 team with Tripucka, Woolridge, Paxson, etc. One of those wins remains my all-time favorite regular-season Marquette game, when we beat 'em in 1981 at the Arena on Glenn Rivers' heave at the buzzer. Bedlam!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #109 on: December 12, 2022, 07:13:40 AM »
For those who were at the game did Jop really commit a flagrant 2? Even the announcers mentioned from their vantage point they could not tell and I don't recall seeing any replays. Is that call kind of automatic where the refs have no leeway whether it is intentional or not?
The TV replay showed that it was not intentional, should not have been a 2, a 1 yes.
Goal is National Championship

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #110 on: December 12, 2022, 07:30:36 AM »

Could not see anything at the game that looked flagrant. Was shocked when Joplin walked to the locker room.  I was on the other half of the court though.  I watched the replay and it looked unintentional.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #111 on: December 12, 2022, 07:33:35 AM »
Very impressed with the team's response after Jop was sent packing. Speaks highly of both our coaching and on-court leadership.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #112 on: December 12, 2022, 07:44:12 AM »
Very impressed with the team's response after Jop was sent packing. Speaks highly of both our coaching and on-court leadership.

Agreed 82.  It was impressive. 

Ultimately you can never speak with absolute certainty about games that should be won on someone else’s home court (an old rival no less) but this was the year to stomp ND on paper.  They have a very mediocre team.  It would have been very disappointing had they lost.  Kudos to the team for playing like the better team and taking care of business.  ND or not, as Dr B said this was a must win game for the state of the program (not necessarily for this year).  Just can’t lose games like these to lesser teams.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #113 on: December 12, 2022, 07:44:38 AM »
LOL I laugh about Justin takes. It is like Shaka wouldn't know and Bulls don't know what they're doing. I guess we would always be better without our best player next year....

I think people are misunderstanding what I meant. By saying "we don't miss Justin Lewis," I wasn't really saying that we are better without him than we would be with him. I really don't know if we are or aren't. I was simply meaning that we are pretty darn good even without him, and may end up more accomplished by season's end.

Just like the 2012-13 team was without Jae and DJO, yet won the conference regular season and got to the Elite 8.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MU82

• All American
« Reply #114 on: December 12, 2022, 07:54:29 AM »

I think people are misunderstanding what I meant. By saying "we don't miss Justin Lewis," I wasn't really saying that we are better without him than we would be with him. I really don't know if we are or aren't. I was simply meaning that we are pretty darn good even without him, and may end up more accomplished by season's end.

Just like the 2012-13 team was without Jae and DJO, yet won the conference regular season and got to the Elite 8.

Thanks for the clarification. Makes more sense.

My take is that if we had Lewis, we'd have won all 8 games that we did win and we would have won a couple of the games we lost. I have no "proof," it's just my opinion. But sure, maybe by the end of the season (or even sooner), we'll have ended up being a more accomplished sum of the parts than we would have been with him.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #115 on: December 12, 2022, 07:59:23 AM »
Upside of Justin:  Could get his own shot.   Rebounding.  Versatile offensively.

Downside of Justin:  Ball sometimes stops at him.  Not as versatile defensively.

My opinion:  Why on earth would you NOT want a borderline NBA talent in your team?

Unless you are an NBA team.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Goose

• All American
« Reply #116 on: December 12, 2022, 08:01:53 AM »
The one thing that jumped out to me in the Lewis discussion is that the HC made little effort, or so it seemed, to find a replacement for the Lewis role. No doubt, to replace Lewis with one portal guy was not an easy ask, but just maybe, the HC coach felt filling that role with multiple players was the best path to take going into the season. If Lewis had returned, I question if we would have seen the improvement of a slew of guys, especially in a real game.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #117 on: December 12, 2022, 08:04:20 AM »
We’d be really good with Justin bc Shaka would figure it out.

We’re really good without Justin bc Shaka figured it out. 

College basketball ain’t about players it’s about coaches and we got one.  Let’s roll.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

tower912

• All American
« Reply #118 on: December 12, 2022, 08:05:10 AM »
Coach probably saw that Omax was ready to step up.   And hoped that Joplin was ready to step up.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #119 on: December 12, 2022, 08:10:06 AM »
It will be fun to see Joplins improvement over the course of this season and next.  I trust Shaka to get the best out of him.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #120 on: December 12, 2022, 08:16:56 AM »
The one thing that jumped out to me in the Lewis discussion is that the HC made little effort, or so it seemed, to find a replacement for the Lewis role. No doubt, to replace Lewis with one portal guy was not an easy ask, but just maybe, the HC coach felt filling that role with multiple players was the best path to take going into the season. If Lewis had returned, I question if we would have seen the improvement of a slew of guys, especially in a real game.

From stuff that was written here, Shaka tried pretty hard to get a couple highly rated guys in the portal but couldn't land them. He settled on an NAIA guy who has barely sniffed the court.

As to whether or not others would have developed had Lewis stayed, we'll never know -- although I trust that Shaka and his assistants would have helped them make great strides. I'd say most would have improved plenty and gotten significantly more PT because the departures of Morsell, Kuath and Elliott opened up 66 mpg, but some of their roles certainly would be at least somewhat different.

All I know as I sit here today is that I sure would have liked our chances to get across the finish line against Mississippi State and Madison, and possibly Purdue too, if we had an experienced All-Big East guy to rely on. As I said in a previous post, maybe by February and March we really will find out that we're a better team without Lewis.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2022, 09:18:56 AM by MU82 »

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #121 on: December 12, 2022, 08:52:08 AM »

Agreed. Would Justin be an asset to this team? Absolutely. But I do think players like Kam, O-Max, and Oso likely wouldn't be having the performances they've been having if JL was still here.

We lost a great player in Justin but still got better as a team, which has been my contention all along.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #122 on: December 12, 2022, 09:04:25 AM »
The TV replay showed that it was not intentional, should not have been a 2, a 1 yes.

The announcers never discussed whether Joplin worked out with Brad Davison over the summer.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #123 on: December 12, 2022, 09:27:31 AM »

Seemed pretty similar to the shot Floppy delivered on his buddy Soft Serve, and it should have been a 1 like Floppy got.

But when you can't control yourself while flailing your arms down 'round a fellow competitor's jewels, you leave the door open for extreme punishment.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #124 on: December 12, 2022, 09:30:16 AM »
Agreed. Would Justin be an asset to this team? Absolutely. But I do think players like Kam, O-Max, and Oso likely wouldn't be having the performances they've been having if JL was still here.

We lost a great player in Justin but still got better as a team, which has been my contention all along.

Sometimes the whole is greater than the sum of its parts (midgets of 2009-10), sometimes it’s worse (sub .500 team with Carton, McEwen, Cain, John, Garcia, Lewis and Elliot).

Lewis was a really good player, but not the type Shaka generally recruits. Shaka adapted, Lewis thrived and the team did pretty well. This year (with less talent due to the subtraction of Lewis) Shaka doesn’t have to adapt. He can play the style he prefers with players he recruited to play that style. I think we’ll be better. Only time will tell.