[Today at 05:23:29 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:46:35 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: F(ou)ND a way  (Read 9187 times)

pbiflyer

• All American
Re: F(ou)ND a way
« Reply #50 on: December 11, 2022, 05:57:37 PM »
Gee that’s too bad.

Notre Dame inducted former Fighting Irish standout John Shumate, a two-time All American from 1971-74, into its Ring of Honor at halftime.  ;D

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #51 on: December 11, 2022, 05:59:04 PM »
Gee that’s too bad.

Notre Dame inducted former Fighting Irish standout John Shumate, a two-time All American from 1971-74, into its Ring of Honor at halftime.  ;D

Lol.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #52 on: December 11, 2022, 06:09:03 PM »
Today was the best case scenario for Notre Dame. Slowed the pace to 61 possessions (our previous low was 66 at Purdue) and killed us beyond the arc (40% to 26.1%). That was their recipe for success and they still lost by 15.

We won because we didn't turn it over, got almost 40% of our misses back, and were awesome inside. We won at their pace playing how they wanted us to. That was a delicious chaser after how poorly that Wisconsin shot went down.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #53 on: December 11, 2022, 06:15:18 PM »
Today was the best case scenario for Notre Dame. Slowed the pace to 61 possessions (our previous low was 66 at Purdue) and killed us beyond the arc (40% to 26.1%). That was their recipe for success and they still lost by 15.

We won because we didn't turn it over, got almost 40% of our misses back, and were awesome inside. We won at their pace playing how they wanted us to. That was a delicious chaser after how poorly that Wisconsin shot went down.

MU was able to switch every pick and ND couldn't make them pay. They have nobody who can break down a defense, so even getting Oso on a guard wasn't much of a problem.

Their future looks pretty bleak if they can't go more than seven deep with that roster.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #54 on: December 11, 2022, 06:19:30 PM »

MU was able to switch every pick and ND couldn't make them pay. They have nobody who can break down a defense, so even getting Oso on a guard wasn't much of a problem.

Their future looks pretty bleak if they can't go more than seven deep with that roster.

They'll need to look elsewhere for the future as 4 of those 7 are playing their fifth year of eligibility.

• All American
« Reply #55 on: December 11, 2022, 06:21:34 PM »
They'll need to look elsewhere for the future as 4 of those 7 are playing their fifth year of eligibility.

Yeah I know. When you are hanging your hat on "experience," and that experience isn't all that good, it makes for a long season.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #56 on: December 11, 2022, 06:23:37 PM »

A perfect example of why experience matters. Just think back to our 'switching' defense from last year and all of its mistakes.

• All American
« Reply #57 on: December 11, 2022, 06:25:58 PM »
One more thing.

This team doesn't miss Justin Lewis.

5DollarPitcher

• All American
« Reply #58 on: December 11, 2022, 06:43:10 PM »
One more thing.

It does, though.

We can be an improved team from last year and still wish we had our alpha scorer. Those concepts aren’t mutually exclusive.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #59 on: December 11, 2022, 06:44:09 PM »
One more thing.

So you don't think Justin would have improved?
Goal is National Championship

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #60 on: December 11, 2022, 06:46:38 PM »
So you don't think Justin would have improved?

I agree with Sultan. I think it's a matter of style. Sultan may or may not agree with that.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #61 on: December 11, 2022, 06:46:47 PM »
I am not going to debate if we would be better or not with Lewis, but I do think Kam would have been the guy getting less minutes if Lewis was back. One thing I will debate, we are better team than we were a year ago.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #62 on: December 11, 2022, 06:52:09 PM »
I am not going to debate if we would be better or not with Lewis, but I do think Kam would have been the guy getting less minutes if Lewis was back. One thing I will debate, we are better team than we were a year ago.
We are better, all players improved, kudos to Shaka. Maybe Stevie would have been the one with less minutes? Who knows.

• All American
« Reply #63 on: December 11, 2022, 06:54:53 PM »
I agree with Sultan. I think it's a matter of style. Sultan may or may not agree with that.

Yes. This is where I land.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #64 on: December 11, 2022, 07:00:50 PM »
Last year MU played a version of the style I believe is the future of MU basketball and this year is a more refined version of that style. My hope is that this is just a step in the process of what the final style looks like.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #65 on: December 11, 2022, 07:02:00 PM »
Justin of last year, I agree. Justin with another year under Shaka, who knows.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #66 on: December 11, 2022, 07:06:19 PM »
A worthy debate. I lean towards it's better to have an NBA-level talent on your roster than not, especially one that showed as much improvement as he did between freshman and sophomore years.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #67 on: December 11, 2022, 07:09:04 PM »
Justin of last year, I agree. Justin with another year under Shaka, who knows.
Yes, exactly, and if the Bulls were willing to sign him to a 2 way right away tells us something.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #68 on: December 11, 2022, 07:21:48 PM »
Last year, with few experienced options, we needed guys like Justin and Darryl to take over. With the system in place and a wealth of experienced options, on any night it could be Kam, Jop, Oso, O-Max, TK, or someone else. Justin was great for last year's team, but I do think these guys are developing better in part because he's not there. I'd still love to have him, but we're okay without him.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #69 on: December 11, 2022, 07:45:03 PM »
Tremendous win for MU today. Team going into Conference play with som good momentum .

I was bullish on the team going in to this season based on player improvement .  So far the players have improved .

Th coaching staff has done an outstanding job of having the team prepared for every game so far .That level of preparation  makes the games so much more enjoyable win or lose .

MU is refining a style of play that can produce winning results . The team is showing the style can be a repeatable process game after game .

Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Elonsmusk

• All American
« Reply #70 on: December 11, 2022, 08:09:28 PM »
One more thing.

Funny, I was thinking the same.  My feeling is that I don't think we'd necessarily be much* better which is pretty weird to hypothesize.  Justin's lateral movement wasn't great and part of the beauty of our team this year is how fluid and laterally quick both Oso and O-Max are.  You can see why Shaka recruits guys like Al Amadou and Itjere - he pretty much wants his bigs to be able to defend guards.

But, when you think about having Oso, O-Max, Justin, Kam and Kolek - That's a really impressive lineup.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #71 on: December 11, 2022, 08:30:27 PM »
LOL I laugh about Justin takes. It is like Shaka wouldn't know and Bulls don't know what they're doing. I guess we would always be better without our best player next year....
« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 08:37:48 PM by Newsdreams »

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #72 on: December 11, 2022, 08:36:39 PM »
A great game.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #73 on: December 11, 2022, 08:39:03 PM »
One more thing.

Shaka likes to play fast. Shaka like his defenders to be able to guard multiple positions.

Justin was a really good player but not a very good fit.

So as much as I liked Justin, I agree.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #74 on: December 11, 2022, 08:46:26 PM »
I mean it’s not like David Joplin is the definition of elite speed, and he sees plenty of minutes. Dylan Osetkowske played 30 minutes per game for Shaka. People here think Ben Gold is going to develop into an NBA player under Shaka. Justin is significantly more athletic in every way than all of those guys. And better defensively than Gold and Joplin. Don’t remember Osetkowske being a lockdown defender who was jumping passing lanes either.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

feedback