[Today at 02:17:00 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Shooter McGavin
[Today at 11:32:50 AM]

Crean vs Buzz vs Wojo vs Shaka by dgies9156
[Today at 09:15:48 AM]

Marquette transfers, this millennium by Galway Eagle
[Today at 08:51:26 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: JAMAL!!!  (Read 19136 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
Re: JAMAL!!!
« Reply #150 on: November 15, 2022, 05:53:17 PM »
You sold me Mike, I’m on your side now. Wojo is/was the GOAT. Jay Wright, Izzo and the rest? Pretenders next to the Great One.

Whoosh
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #151 on: November 15, 2022, 06:46:04 PM »
You sold me Mike, I’m on your side now. Wojo is/was the GOAT. Jay Wright, Izzo and the rest? Pretenders next to the Great One.
Obvious
Goal is National Championship

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #152 on: November 15, 2022, 06:46:54 PM »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #153 on: November 15, 2022, 06:50:42 PM »
If only he had been playing under a Hall of Fame coach like Izzo, Jamal would have been the NPOY -- just like Joey has been the last two seasons.

I know this was all hyperbole, but Jamal immediately becoming a no doubt conference POY & NBA player as soon as he left is a pretty strong indicator he was underutilized. I don't at all think the idea of him developing into an NBA player if properly used at Marquette is outlandish considering the trajectory of his career in the 20 or so months since he left.

Unless, of course, you think Greg Kampe is superior to all those other coaches you named.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #154 on: November 15, 2022, 06:53:10 PM »

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #155 on: November 15, 2022, 06:56:50 PM »
Lame

The amount of energy spent by people bitching about previous coaches on scoop never ceases to amaze me. 

A fun exercise for someone is to go look up old posts about Jamal Cain being underutilized at Marquette while he was here.  I’ll wait

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #156 on: November 15, 2022, 06:57:17 PM »
Crean sucks
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #157 on: November 15, 2022, 07:02:21 PM »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #158 on: November 15, 2022, 07:05:27 PM »
Lame

Rico’s a pretty smart guy. He doesn’t need you to be his lapdog every time someone returns one of his lobs.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #159 on: November 15, 2022, 07:06:22 PM »
Rico’s a pretty smart guy. He doesn’t need you to be his lapdog every time someone returns one of his lobs.
Poor baby

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #160 on: November 15, 2022, 07:11:28 PM »
Poor baby

You come up with that yourself? Hilarious stuff!

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #161 on: November 15, 2022, 07:19:38 PM »
You come up with that yourself? Hilarious stuff!
I'm hurt

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • ✅ Verified Member
« Reply #162 on: November 15, 2022, 08:47:43 PM »
Jamal Cain (and Oscar Robinson) highlights from the Sioux Falls Skyforce, from before Cain got called back up to the Heat

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/tYD_aHlcXDc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/tYD_aHlcXDc</a>

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #163 on: November 15, 2022, 09:55:19 PM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #164 on: November 15, 2022, 10:34:06 PM »
I know this was all hyperbole, but Jamal immediately becoming a no doubt conference POY & NBA player as soon as he left is a pretty strong indicator he was underutilized. I don't at all think the idea of him developing into an NBA player if properly used at Marquette is outlandish considering the trajectory of his career in the 20 or so months since he left.

Unless, of course, you think Greg Kampe is superior to all those other coaches you named.

Do you think he could have gone to a strong P6 school and gotten the kind of run he got in the Horizon League? Maybe, maybe not.

He made a very smart decision to move down to the Horizon League to be The Man for Oakland. More proof that NBA scouts will find you no matter where you go if you produce and work hard.

Congrats to Jamal for producing and working hard. And congrats to him for making an intelligent career choice. Averaging 20 and 10 while playing 35 mpg for Oakland gave him the opportunity that averaging 12 and 6 for Northwestern or 8 and 4 for Michigan would not have given him.

He gave his all to Marquette for 4 years, he stayed and worked hard when others abandoned ship, and I'm rooting for him to have a long, profitable pro career.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #165 on: November 16, 2022, 06:01:25 AM »
Do you think he could have gone to a strong P6 school and gotten the kind of run he got in the Horizon League? Maybe, maybe not.

I think had he been developed appropriately, he never would've had to go to the Horizon. It was clear his freshman year that he had the shot, rebounding, length, and activity to be a very good player. His sophomore year he had a decent start, then had two mediocre games and was glued to the bench. Played double digit minutes the first five games, then only five times in the last twenty-four. In that same stretch, Joey got 20+ in 28/29 games despite many stinkers of his own.

Wojo coached like Joey was Henry v2.0 and Jamal was hopeless. Wojo pulled plenty of strings right in 2018-19, which is why it was a fun season for so long. But how he handled Cain was a mistake & stunting his development here & pushing him to the brink of transfer helped lead to his firing.

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #166 on: November 16, 2022, 07:17:14 AM »

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #167 on: November 16, 2022, 08:42:21 AM »
I think had he been developed appropriately, he never would've had to go to the Horizon. It was clear his freshman year that he had the shot, rebounding, length, and activity to be a very good player. His sophomore year he had a decent start, then had two mediocre games and was glued to the bench. Played double digit minutes the first five games, then only five times in the last twenty-four. In that same stretch, Joey got 20+ in 28/29 games despite many stinkers of his own.

Wojo coached like Joey was Henry v2.0 and Jamal was hopeless. Wojo pulled plenty of strings right in 2018-19, which is why it was a fun season for so long. But how he handled Cain was a mistake & stunting his development here & pushing him to the brink of transfer helped lead to his firing.

Jamal spent 2 seasons at Marquette after Joey left, though.  He played 30 mpg in his last season at Marquette...

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #168 on: November 16, 2022, 09:42:17 AM »
Jamal spent 2 seasons at Marquette after Joey left, though.  He played 30 mpg in his last season at Marquette...

Yes, and because he was never developed appropriately his senior year production was where I fully believe he could've been as a sophomore. He stagnated for two years, behind guys like Joey and Bailey who probably never sniff the NBA.

Maybe I just find it hard to believe that a guy who showed flashes like Jamal did as a freshman and had the instant upward trajectory he did after leaving wouldn't have been better served by getting more of an opportunity here.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #169 on: November 16, 2022, 10:07:10 AM »
I believe that Wojo's veneration of Joey and, due to minutes being a zero sum game, burying of Jamal during Jamal's sophomore year was a huge mistake.    On a few levels.     
Favoritism.
Non-outside the box thinking.    Playing the Hausers and either Cain or Bailey all at the same time could have given MU a unique look. 
Jamal was the one athletic wing Wojo recruited.   

Now, to be fair, Jamal had a turnover problem as a sophomore.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #170 on: November 16, 2022, 10:22:03 AM »
Yes, and because he was never developed appropriately his senior year production was where I fully believe he could've been as a sophomore. He stagnated for two years, behind guys like Joey and Bailey who probably never sniff the NBA.

Maybe I just find it hard to believe that a guy who showed flashes like Jamal did as a freshman and had the instant upward trajectory he did after leaving wouldn't have been better served by getting more of an opportunity here.

I agree Brew.  There were likely promises made to the Hauser and Bailey families that led to favoritism and Joey and Brendan didn’t have to earn their playing time like Jamal.  We ultimately found out how childish the Hauser family was and the Bailey family was never all in.  Kudos to Jamal for staying, graduating and succeeding at another level before earning an NBA roster spot. 

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #171 on: November 16, 2022, 10:31:28 AM »

Unpopular  take here, but if Joey could play consistently like he did last night, I could see him being an end of the bench guy in the NBA.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #172 on: November 16, 2022, 10:32:32 AM »
Unpopular  take here, but if Joey could play consistently like he did last night, I could see him being an end of the bench guy in the NBA.

The magic word there is 'consistently'.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #173 on: November 16, 2022, 10:33:18 AM »

He can’t guard in the NBA.  He couldn’t guard anyone on Kentucky last night

MU82

• All American
« Reply #174 on: November 16, 2022, 10:39:23 AM »

Let's say I agree with you that Wojo's treatment of Jamal his sophomore season was borderline criminal. And heck, I'll even throw in his junior season: criminal.

But Jamal averaged 30 mpg as a senior. He wasn't looking over his shoulder. He had the green light to do pretty much anything he wanted on the floor. He improved in all facets. He was allowed to play through his mistakes.

So yes, maybe Jamal could have done that sooner if Wojo wasn't a criminal. But if you really think Jamal was a 20/10 guy in the Big East, I don't know what to say. We just won't be able to agree, and neither of us can ever be proven "right" or "wrong."

Jamal made a smart decision going to the Horizon League, where he could be The Man. If he had transferred to Michigan after his sophomore year, I happen to believe he'd have been buried there, too. Maybe you think he'd have been All-Big Ten ... and that's cool. I always respect your opinion.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson