Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: We can take some positives but.....  (Read 1620 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
We can take some positives but.....
« on: November 15, 2022, 09:42:35 PM »
Obviously the missed open shots is frustrating.  We can't get nothing on the perimeter from three guys on the floor.  I also think Oso needs to be a bit more aggressive offensively.  The bottom line is Mitchell, Omax, and Kolek have to be scoring threats and make some perimeter shots.  Kolek creates everything for us in the h-c but he should launch on catch and shoots or open drives.   Stevie snd Omax looked hesitant to me.  They simply have to score more for us to beat the top teams. 

MUfan12

• All American
Re: We can take some positives but.....
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2022, 09:51:07 PM »
16 more FGA than Purdue. I would have bet everything against that happening.

And they missed all of them. Brutal.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2022, 09:57:17 PM »
Between OMax, Mitchell, Kolek, and Ross I counted two perimeter shots made.  That's abysmal, there is no way to sugarcoat it.  And many were wide open.  in total these four players went 2-5, 2-7, 4-14, and 1-5.  We're not beating good teams with these stats.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2022, 10:12:49 PM »
I’m not overly worried about Oso. This was a bad matchup and why I didn’t think Painter was losing absolutely any sleep over worrying about Oso playing Edey off the floor. Oso can’t score outside of 5 feet. So when he’s handing the ball and you have a 7’4” monster, play drop coverage, especially when 3 or 4 offensive players aren’t threats to hit a 3 pointer and make you pay for it, and just wait for Oso to get within that 5 foot range, rather than pressing him and letting him get by you. When you’re 7’4” you can do that to a 6’9” guy. Fortunately we won’t face many 7’4” defenders and if teams play drop coverage with a 6’10” guy Oso can get the floater off.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Viper

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2022, 10:14:38 PM »
Obviously the missed open shots is frustrating.  We can't get nothing on the perimeter from three guys on the floor.  I also think Oso needs to be a bit more aggressive offensively.  The bottom line is Mitchell, Omax, and Kolek have to be scoring threats and make some perimeter shots.  Kolek creates everything for us in the h-c but he should launch on catch and shoots or open drives.   Stevie snd Omax looked hesitant to me.  They simply have to score more for us to beat the top teams.
your pg should not take 14 shots. Period. OMax?… needs to take more than 5. Oso was somewhat tentative, but that’s all Edey. Definitely a lot more positive from this game than negative. Tonight was a good test. Outlook on the season looks promising.
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2022, 10:19:56 PM »
We also only took 7 free throws.  We have to find a way to get to line more. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2022, 10:25:14 PM »
We also only took 7 free throws.  We have to find a way to get to line more. 

How many did Purdue take before garbage foul time?

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2022, 10:28:22 PM »
I'm not taking positives.

Kinda went exactly how anticipated which I don't necessarily like. If we can anticipate what will happen it is frustrating seeing them not be able to realize it with a late 9 point lead.

I don't feel any better or worse than before the game started. They are what they are right now and it is too early to project anything else. I want the tournament win at the Fort Myers Invitational. Take it home.
VIOLENCE!

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2022, 10:29:20 PM »
How many did Purdue take before garbage foul time?

14 I believe.  We have to have more paint attacks with force and power. 

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2022, 10:32:40 PM »
14 I believe.  We have to have more paint attacks with force and power.

Dude did you see the guy playing center for them?

MU got flustered down the stretch and stopped playing off of two feet when they drove. But I have no issue with how they attacked.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2022, 10:37:48 PM »
Dude did you see the guy playing center for them?

MU got flustered down the stretch and stopped playing off of two feet when they drove. But I have no issue with how they attacked.

I get Edey's presence bothered us but he also sat for an important 5 min stretch. If our perimeter players won't take 10 footers on the initial blow by they must use the shot fake and attack the rim relentlessly. 

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2022, 06:53:14 AM »
I get Edey's presence bothered us but he also sat for an important 5 min stretch. If our perimeter players won't take 10 footers on the initial blow by they must use the shot fake and attack the rim relentlessly.
Muggs Shaka's team is not going to be shooting 10 footers as a strategy, open 10 once in a while sure, but not what Shaka wants. As for inside attack hard with Edey in and when he sat their D concentrated on making us beat them from the outside, Painter is a heck of a coach.
Goal is National Championship

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2022, 07:26:17 AM »
1.  Oso played a solid game against the biggest person he will ever have to guard.
2.  MU more than held its own on the boards.
3.  Two guys in the third game of their sophomore years went off for stretches.  Both likely to be 4 year guys
4.  For all the negatives that so many are focused on this morning, MU played Purdue to a near draw on Purdue's floor.  And had opportunities to win. 
5.  Another double digit assist night for TK.

There are a lot of positives to take from last night.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2022, 08:40:14 AM »
1.  Oso played a solid game against the biggest person he will ever have to guard.
2.  MU more than held its own on the boards.
3.  Two guys in the third game of their sophomore years went off for stretches.  Both likely to be 4 year guys
4.  For all the negatives that so many are focused on this morning, MU played Purdue to a near draw on Purdue's floor.  And had opportunities to win. 
5.  Another double digit assist night for TK.

There are a lot of positives to take from last night.
I agree with this analysis
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2022, 08:42:49 AM »
Damn.  Now I need to reconsider.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2022, 09:01:30 AM »
Muggs Shaka's team is not going to be shooting 10 footers as a strategy, open 10 once in a while sure, but not what Shaka wants. As for inside attack hard with Edey in and when he sat their D concentrated on making us beat them from the outside, Painter is a heck of a coach.

Painter said same thing. We want dunks, lay ups and open threes.   That’s the new reality

feedback