[Today at 07:37:34 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by willie warrior
[Today at 05:36:43 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scary Situation in Cape Breton, NS  (Read 6160 times)

NCMUFan

• All American
Re: Scary Situation in Cape Breton, NS
« Reply #75 on: September 29, 2022, 12:21:37 PM »
Pretty breezy today in Piedmont NC. 
Will be interesting to see if Ian intensifies when back at sea and what its strength will be when it goes back inland in South Carolina.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 12:23:44 PM by NCMUFan »

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #76 on: September 29, 2022, 12:27:52 PM »
Some video of the storm and damage. Multiple videos in the thread:
https://twitter.com/havanahistory/status/1575200487867297793

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #77 on: September 29, 2022, 12:41:01 PM »
Bridges to sanibel and pine island impassable. Major road damage on sanibel.
Wonder if tournament is moved/cancelled?  The Westin which is the team hotel did not look good in the brief shots I saw.

Bridge is severed.  Roads are washed away.  It's going to be a long expensive recovery for Sanibel.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #78 on: September 29, 2022, 01:52:45 PM »
Pretty breezy today in Piedmont NC. 
Will be interesting to see if Ian intensifies when back at sea and what its strength will be when it goes back inland in South Carolina.

They've declared a tropical storm warning for Charlotte. It's supposed to pick up some strength after coming back inland -- especially tomorrow afternoon and evening, when we'll get hit with heavy rain and 35-50 mph winds -- but it looks like we'll be spared a truly horrible situation.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #79 on: September 29, 2022, 06:19:31 PM »
Hopefully Florida will get the building materials they will need to rebuild.
My parents were snowbirds in central Florida and had a double wide.
I cannot recall what hurricane did the damage as I had been going down there throughout 1990-2010, but I remember locating building materials was tough to do repairs on the properties damaged.  People were purchasing them in other states and trailering them into Florida.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #80 on: September 29, 2022, 10:07:49 PM »
We had some pretty severe damage in our operations in Florida . Especially those that were in the direct line when the storm came on board . Hopefully power can come on line soon .

Going to be a lot of battles with insurance companies to pay claims

No one got hurt thankfully.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #81 on: September 29, 2022, 11:08:57 PM »
DeSantis is calling it “basically a 500-year flood event."

Sadly, it could happen again next year. Or even later this year.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #82 on: September 30, 2022, 05:53:53 AM »
DeSantis is calling it “basically a 500-year flood event."

Sadly, it could happen again next year. Or even later this year.

Here’s the thing about xxx-year flooding events and how that term is used.

A 500-year flood is just stating there’s a 0.2% chance of that severe of flooding annually. A 100-year flood is a 1% chance and so on.

These probabilities are based on historical rainfall data and then applied to flood plan maps. The problem with historical data is there is no weighting to more recent events, which are becoming more and more problematic.

Anyone can say “It’s a 500-year flood, we will never see this again.” When realistically coastal areas are now seeing “100-year” events more like every 30 years.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #83 on: September 30, 2022, 11:51:17 AM »

A 500-year flood is just stating there’s a 0.2% chance of that severe of flooding annually. A 100-year flood is a 1% chance and so on.

These probabilities are based on historical rainfall data and then applied to flood plan maps. The problem with historical data is there is no weighting to more recent events, which are becoming more and more problematic.

Anyone can say “It’s a 500-year flood, we will never see this again.” When realistically coastal areas are now seeing “100-year” events more like every 30 years.

100% correct.

Nads brings in politics and is wrong again.  🤣

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #84 on: September 30, 2022, 02:25:57 PM »

What data are you looking at for this 30 year claim?  If you look at the strongest hurricanes on record in the USA many of them were before 1970 and three of the strongest ever in Florida were before 1940.  Now when it comes to damage obviously the density of these areas have changed dramatically in 100 yrs. 

🏀

• All American
« Reply #85 on: September 30, 2022, 04:05:40 PM »
What data are you looking at for this 30 year claim?  If you look at the strongest hurricanes on record in the USA many of them were before 1970 and three of the strongest ever in Florida were before 1940.  Now when it comes to damage obviously the density of these areas have changed dramatically in 100 yrs. 

100-year floods and hurricanes are not necessarily the same event.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #86 on: September 30, 2022, 05:25:05 PM »
Totaling up our losses . Looks like a seven figure hit from Ian.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #87 on: October 04, 2022, 09:29:36 PM »
https://youtu.be/al8yTiCVfro

Bonkers.  And people stayed.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #88 on: October 05, 2022, 09:02:44 AM »
Totaling up our losses . Looks like a seven figure hit from Ian.
I hope your business recovers quickly.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #89 on: October 06, 2022, 07:47:31 AM »
I don't subscribe to Insider so I can't read the article, but the headline says: Airbnb’s refund policy doesn’t cover hurricanes in Florida, because they’re so common.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #90 on: October 06, 2022, 07:59:39 AM »
I don't subscribe to Insider so I can't read the article, but the headline says: Airbnb’s refund policy doesn’t cover hurricanes in Florida, because they’re so common.

Some friends lost their whole trip to Daytona.   No refund from ABNB and no refund/transfer from the airline.  Sucks.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #91 on: October 06, 2022, 09:32:05 AM »
Some friends lost their whole trip to Daytona.   No refund from ABNB and no refund/transfer from the airline.  Sucks.

That blows. Pretty effen heartless.

I thought I read that American and some other airlines were giving travel credits and/or free changes, but I could be mistaken.

I won't book an airbnb stay unless it has a really good cancellation date -- usually a week or less before the stay is supposed to start. But I'm not sure even that would have helped this time.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #92 on: October 06, 2022, 10:28:52 AM »
I won't book an airbnb stay unless it has a really good cancellation date -- usually a week or less before the stay is supposed to start. But I'm not sure even that would have helped this time.

I'm so torn on ABNB/VRBO and some of the policies.

My good friend and his wife have a condo in Hilton Head they rent out a decent amount via VRBO.  The stories Ive heard in just 2-3 years of ownership of people trying to cancel/get refunds/etc.. is baffling.  They used to have a week cancellation window.  But people kept trying to cancel/push back trips/do whatever based on weather reports or whatnot.  Its a competitive market, they'd have a calendar book up months out, and then spurious cancellations suddenly leave you with pockets that you had no chance of filling.  They had multiple cancellations, kid you not, cause people didn't realize it wasn't a private pool until barely a week before the trip...in a condo complex.  They shifted their policy to 2 weeks and its been better.

That being said, I can understand some of the grey area with refunds and weather for stuff like that.  You need to create a rule that applies in 99% of situations.  Then that last 1% is discretionary.  Still stinks, you'd think credit could be valid.

The airlines, no excuses there, thats a joke.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #93 on: October 06, 2022, 10:47:34 AM »
My girlfriend's parents were supposed to go to Fort Meyers in a couple weeks and got a full refund on both their flights (might be airline credits) and from their rental (I believe it was VRBO and not ABNB).
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #94 on: October 06, 2022, 04:15:24 PM »
In my experience, VRBO is much better than ABNB.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #95 on: October 06, 2022, 04:45:08 PM »

+1.  I had a number of pretty iffy ABNB experiences, and have neve once been disappointed by a VRBO.  It would take a pretty desperate situation to make me choose a property on ABNB that I couldn't also get on VRBO at this point.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #96 on: October 06, 2022, 05:44:08 PM »

+2

I generally use vrbo to find a place but always call the owner.  I have found most of them prefer to be dealt with directly and in the process waive the vrbo fees. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #97 on: October 06, 2022, 07:45:15 PM »
Both VRBO and airbnb have so many fees now that oftentimes a hotel is the better value, especially for stays of 3 days or less, and especially if one can use points (or if one sticks with a certain brand to accumulate more points).

Some airbnbs and VRBOs charge cleaning fees of $200+ per stay. I guess if one is staying a week it kind of blends into the rest of the cost and taxes. But a 1-3 day stay ... it's like having to pay for another night (or close to it).

🏀

• All American
« Reply #98 on: October 06, 2022, 08:35:07 PM »
We were headed to Cape Coral a couple weeks after Rudy Goebert coughed COVID into existence.

VRBO was super easy to get a non-expiring credit which we used in Charleston in November.

Still sitting on some Frontier vouchers.

Rental car was the only struggle, got 80% back.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #99 on: October 10, 2022, 07:02:13 AM »
I hope your business recovers quickly.
Thanks we submitted an Insurance claim. Hopefully we can rebuild soon

---Al McGuire

feedback