[Today at 01:20:04 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Scary Situation in Cape Breton, NS  (Read 6057 times)

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: Scary Situation in Cape Breton, NS
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2022, 10:36:42 AM »
Latest path is now causing us to close more operations throughout the state

This is literally a Perfect Storm in terms of destroying our business

I'm sorry for your troubles Herman.  This storm could be the worst in the history of Florida.  The amount of water and wind potential is insane. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2022, 10:39:37 AM »
Some experts are predicting that many of the Florida Keys will be underwater within the next 20 years. This will not help.

Henningway wrote about the 1935 Hurricane which I believe was the worst in the history of the Keys.  Obviously there were fewer people there but I think we abandoned a group of railway workers or something?  Can't remember.

Oh, right   Many veterans died building the overseas highway.  Absolutely terrible.  It was a true Cat 5. 
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 10:42:27 AM by MuggsyB »

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2022, 11:38:47 AM »
The 1928 one where Lake Okeechobee flooded was the deadliest in Florida. But since it didn’t damage coastal cities, it isn’t widely known.

Storm surge not looking good in Ft Myers.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2022, 12:49:01 PM »
The 1928 one where Lake Okeechobee flooded was the deadliest in Florida. But since it didn’t damage coastal cities, it isn’t widely known.

Storm surge not looking good in Ft Myers.

Ya....it's the surge potential that looks absolutely brutal.  I'm hoping something like this catastrophe can bring people together.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2022, 01:10:08 PM »
I was curious about this statement.  If you are curious its true but pretty meaningless, especially in context of my perceived intent of the poster.  The sea has been rising that long, but the intensity of the increases in the past 100 are on a different level.  The increases are also accelerating.

https://ocean.si.edu/through-time/ancient-seas/sea-level-rise
Yes, some articles are projecting by 2025 many of the roads in the keys will be underwater, and too expensive to fix.

Here's one article:
https://www.greenmatters.com/p/florida-keys-underwater

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #55 on: September 28, 2022, 01:19:42 PM »
https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1575185231753125890

I know exactly where this is. This was taken before high tide and before landfall, only going to get worse.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #56 on: September 28, 2022, 03:38:14 PM »
The NYT on the trend of "rapid intensification" of hurricanes due to global warming:

A rapid intensification had shifted Hurricane Ian close to Category 5 by midday on Wednesday, with maximum sustained winds reaching 155 miles per hour. It had been a Category 3 storm the previous evening.

Meteorologists define rapid intensification as an increase of 30 knots, or 35 m.p.h., in a hurricane’s maximum sustained winds over a 24-hour period. Christopher Slocum, a physical scientist with the National Oceanic Atmospheric Administration, said that was definitely the case with Ian.

Forecasters had predicted that the storm might undergo rapid intensification after observing conditions that drive the process: a deep layer of very warm water to fuel the storm and very little wind shear, a situation where wind sharply changes speed or direction. Strong wind shear can inhibit the strengthening of hurricanes.

As the climate warms Earth’s oceans, more storms are undergoing rapid intensification. The last decade has provided a number of examples, among them Hurricanes Harvey, Irma and Maria in 2017, Hurricanes Michael and Florence in 2018 and Hurricane Ida in 2021.

Rapidly strengthening storms can present a challenge for public safety officials, who have limited time to issue critical guidance on when or if people should evacuate their homes and what other measures to take.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #57 on: September 28, 2022, 03:53:20 PM »
I hope Lenny is staying safe...

My wife has family living in Cape Coral and they just evacuated yesterday... unfortunately, her cousin who also lives there is at the hospital with triplets in the NICU and cannot evacuate.  I hope they're all right.  :-\

MU82

• All American
« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2022, 03:55:41 PM »
I've been thinking about Lenny, too. He hasn't checked in -- probably too damn busy. But I hope he and his loved ones are OK. This has developed into an incredibly devastating storm.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2022, 04:34:23 PM »
I hope Lenny is staying safe...

My wife has family living in Cape Coral and they just evacuated yesterday... unfortunately, her cousin who also lives there is at the hospital with triplets in the NICU and cannot evacuate.  I hope they're all right.  :-\

Hoping for the best Hards, that's pretty scary.  I know the hospitals and nursing homes have generators but I'm wondering how long they will last if thy  lose power?   I can't imagine restoring the grid will be easy. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #60 on: September 28, 2022, 04:35:29 PM »
Let's all hope Lenny is okay.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #61 on: September 28, 2022, 05:13:28 PM »
I've been thinking about Lenny, too. He hasn't checked in -- probably too damn busy. But I hope he and his loved ones are OK. This has developed into an incredibly devastating storm.

Probably without power.
Hoping for the best for him and his family.  Isn't dgies there too?

Been through 3 hurricanes and they are not fun

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #62 on: September 28, 2022, 05:19:50 PM »
Lenny posted in another thread a few minutes ago so appears he is just fine.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #63 on: September 28, 2022, 05:37:25 PM »
Guys

I am fine and very appreciative of your concerns. I’m actually in Chicago for a little business and my 60th grammar school reunion.

I head back Sunday. My wife is home and reports that we have 3 inches of water in our villa and more than that in our garage. We’ll lose some “stuff” but she’s OK and it’s just stuff. All in all we’re lucky - sadly many will not be. There will be a lot of real suffering.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #64 on: September 28, 2022, 05:46:27 PM »
My 92 year old Grandma lives in Naples, currently in an extended rehab/assisted living facility.  Very much a medical forward sort of place that is very nice.

Well, we found out today that their backup generator...DOESNT WORK.  And it won't work for days.  So they have moved many residents into a single big room with special outlets and are rolling in beds like a dorm.  Some might have to be moved to other facilities. 

She's doing fine, good spirits and taking it all in stride.  But absolutely absurd for that sort of facility.  Much less one that charges what they do.

I can hear the lawsuits intensifying equal to the strength of the storm itself.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2022, 06:01:42 PM »
My 92 year old Grandma lives in Naples, currently in an extended rehab/assisted living facility.  Very much a medical forward sort of place that is very nice.

Well, we found out today that their backup generator...DOESNT WORK.  And it won't work for days.  So they have moved many residents into a single big room with special outlets and are rolling in beds like a dorm.  Some might have to be moved to other facilities. 

She's doing fine, good spirits and taking it all in stride.  But absolutely absurd for that sort of facility.  Much less one that charges what they do.

Good grief.  That is absurd and cannot happen.  Hopefully she'lll lable to manage JWags. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2022, 06:09:16 PM »

Yikes
Wishing the best for your fam.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #67 on: September 28, 2022, 06:34:33 PM »
That sucks jwags. FEMA has generators positioned for just such situations, so hopefully it gets addressed quickly.

Sharknado goes to Ft Myers: Taking it to the streets.
https://twitter.com/ArmandoSalguero/status/1575205383316336640?s=20&t=4FPzRwzA0f3VRd8oQpLvjA

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #68 on: September 28, 2022, 06:55:57 PM »
I was on a family vacation to Universal parks in Orlando this week that was cut slightly short by Ian. We were on the last day of our trip and going to ride one more ride on the way out of the park before we went back to hotel to prep for flight home the next morning (today) when we got the notification that our flight home had been cancelled. Turns out MCO closed one hour before our flight was supposed to depart so we just took our rental car and drove home to ATL where our car was parked. Stayed overnight on the way and got home this afternoon roughly at the same time we would have had we flown as planned.

On the drive up the FL Turnpike and I-75 we saw easily 400-500 electrical utility trucks heading south to pitch in, along with 100+ trucks carrying generators. Was truly impressed with the scale of the effort to help out. I imagine part of a FEMA mobilization as we continued to see them headed south long after we crossed into Georgia. Nice to see good folks willing to lend a hand.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #69 on: September 28, 2022, 08:52:48 PM »
Guys

I am fine and very appreciative of your concerns. I’m actually in Chicago for a little business and my 60th grammar school reunion.

I head back Sunday. My wife is home and reports that we have 3 inches of water in our villa and more than that in our garage. We’ll lose some “stuff” but she’s OK and it’s just stuff. All in all we’re lucky - sadly many will not be. There will be a lot of real suffering.

Glad to hear your wife's OK, Tony, and even if "it's just stuff," hopefully it won't be too difficult for you. There certainly will be a lot of real suffering in your area, and these events are always so sad. We're all thinking of you and your neighbors.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #70 on: September 28, 2022, 10:15:58 PM »
Glad to hear your wife's OK, Tony, and even if "it's just stuff," hopefully it won't be too difficult for you. There certainly will be a lot of real suffering in your area, and these events are always so sad. We're all thinking of you and your neighbors.

Thanks, Mike - much appreciated.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #71 on: September 29, 2022, 07:27:59 AM »
https://twitter.com/SevereStudios/status/1575323012336914432

The full progression of the MASSIVE storm surge at Ft Myers Beach from SurgeCam 9 during Hurricane Ian.  This cam was placed 8+ feet above the street surface.

Video on the link is nutty.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #72 on: September 29, 2022, 09:16:34 AM »
https://twitter.com/SevereStudios/status/1575323012336914432

Video on the link is nutty.

Good lord.

The beach in Naples where my family and I preferred to go on visits, at Clam Pass Park, was basically slashed in half by the last bad storm to hit Naples years ago.  Gotta think thats gonna happen again here.

pbiflyer

• All American
« Reply #73 on: September 29, 2022, 11:59:16 AM »
Bridges to sanibel and pine island impassable. Major road damage on sanibel.
Wonder if tournament is moved/cancelled?  The Westin which is the team hotel did not look good in the brief shots I saw.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #74 on: September 29, 2022, 12:08:14 PM »

The facility persons should be testing the backup generator regularly.  Major neglect somewhere down the line.

feedback