[Today at 11:00:11 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by MU82
[Today at 07:00:36 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: School Shooting in Texas  (Read 6976 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: School Shooting in Texas
« Reply #100 on: May 24, 2022, 09:59:24 PM »
Notre Dame sucks.

Notre Dame says it is ‘appalled’ the Buffalo shooting suspect cited an article by one of its professors

The University of Notre Dame issued a statement saying it is “appalled” that the suspect in the Buffalo grocery store shooting cited an article written by one of its professors in his diatribe before he killed 10 people.
Payton Gendron, 18, has been charged with murder and is being held without bail.
In 2013, John Gaski, associate professor at Notre Dame, wrote a commentary titled “A Discussion on Race, Crime and the Inconvenient Facts,” where he makes claims of race-based rape and crime statistics but fails to cite where he got his information.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/breaking/ct-notre-dame-professor-buffalo-shooting-20220525-gcxz5ui3tnhmrmbzpyiclnqvvm-story.html

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #101 on: May 24, 2022, 10:08:11 PM »
Agree that there needs to be more done. Personally, my perspective has really shifted in the last 5 years and I’ve experienced 2 personal deaths due to them. When you bring a gun into your home, even for self defense, a lot of variables now come into play. There’s a much greater chance of something else going wrong than you successfully neutralizing a threat with it. AR rifles should also be banned, imo. So, I’ll support policies that aim to reduce the amount of gun violence in this country and I wish republicans would give an inch on it. The reason they won’t is because they are afraid the other side will take a mile on it.
No. The reason they won't is that it has been turned into a wedge issue over the last thirty years that keeps them in power and lines their pockets.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #102 on: May 24, 2022, 10:18:13 PM »
Agree that there needs to be more done. Personally, my perspective has really shifted in the last 5 years and I’ve experienced 2 personal deaths due to them. When you bring a gun into your home, even for self defense, a lot of variables now come into play. There’s a much greater chance of something else going wrong than you successfully neutralizing a threat with it. AR rifles should also be banned, imo. So, I’ll support policies that aim to reduce the amount of gun violence in this country and I wish republicans would give an inch on it. The reason they won’t is because they are afraid the other side will take a mile on it.

I can't seem to find the stats on female gun owners but I believe their ownership has increased substantially.  I'm curious what percentage of gun murders are committed by women?  I would think it's relatively low regardless their weapon of choice.

We have a significant cultural problem.  Clearly more guns means more suicides which we don't seem to talk about much.   This has been an awful, awful, day.  I really hope we can have a rational discussion without politicizing this terrible tragedy.  I just feel there are many factors that need to be looked at and the common talking points on both political sides leads to more division and isn't particularly effective towards viable solutions.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #103 on: May 24, 2022, 10:20:01 PM »
They're no good for hunting. They're no good for target practice. They're no good for home defense.

Not to get into this whole argument with the scoops. But I literally use an AR15 for all 3 examples.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #104 on: May 24, 2022, 10:25:07 PM »
Not to get into this whole argument with the scoops. But I literally use an AR15 for all 3 examples.

OK.
You can probably use it to take down drywall as well, but that doesn't mean it's good for that task.

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #105 on: May 24, 2022, 10:28:31 PM »
OK.
You can probably use it to take down drywall as well, but that doesn't mean it's good for that task.

Well sure if we want to go out to left field and shoot three pointers....

Last statement on this post, because I agree with a lot of what has been said by tamu and others, however your statement in my eyes is just absolutely inaccurate.

Explain how an ar15 is no good for hunting, no good for target shooting, and no good for home defense.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #106 on: May 24, 2022, 10:43:32 PM »
Both of my parents who are teachers are retiring after 34 years of teaching.

All I’ve been doing is been counting down the days until their retirement so that was one less thing I would have to worry about, they they survived. Literally survived.

Then I remember my sister is in year two of teaching and I have another 30 year countdown.

Survival, that’s literally all I can think about when guns are still readily and easily available. Not education, but survival. And that should be the furthest thing from any parent/student/teacher mind.

You should be ashamed of yourself if you think guns aren’t a problem in this country.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #107 on: May 24, 2022, 10:46:04 PM »
Well sure if we want to go out to left field and shoot three pointers....

Last statement on this post, because I agree with a lot of what has been said by tamu and others, however your statement in my eyes is just absolutely inaccurate.

Explain how an ar15 is no good for hunting, no good for target shooting, and no good for home defense.

I served in the military and the M16A2/M4 was the weapon I used for 20 years. It is first and foremost designed as an assault weapon platform, no matter what the spin. A hunter does not need a semi-automatic rifle to hunt, if he does he sucks, and should go play video games. I see more men running around the bush all cammo’d up with assault vests and face paint with tricked out AR’s. These are not hunters but wannabe weekend warriors.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2016/06/gun-control-ar-15-rifle-the-nra-claims-the-ar-15-rifle-is-for-hunting-and-home-defense-not-exactly.html

MU82

• All American
« Reply #108 on: May 24, 2022, 10:50:55 PM »
Somebody mentioned Manchin as a roadblock to possible legislation. Manchin actually worked with a Republican senator to co-author a bipartisan bill requiring universal background checks a few years back - maybe 2013 or 2014? But it died the way all these efforts do, at the hands of the party that gets huge contributions from the gun lobby and that is afraid to piss off the basest part of their base.

Meanwhile ...

Sure, there are mental health issues in America -- just like in every other country. Unfortunately, that's another issue that dies in Congress. The money isn't there because the will isn't there; after all,  mental health is a "woke" issue for "soft" people. Real men (and women) handle their problems with guns -- and, of course, with violent, seditionist, cop-maiming coup attempts.

I'm surprised a few Scoopers haven't already lectured that the AR doesn't stand for "assault rifle," because that's what's really important here.

Let's harangue our teachers, threaten them with job losses and lawsuits if they dare to read from banned books, take away their dignity and authority, score political points by lying about them teaching CRT. Let's make them serve as social workers and nurses (to deal with all those mental health issues) because most public schools either cut those positions or never had them. And now, as a bonus, let's arm them and ask them to be trained security officers, too.

Remember after Parkland when the then-president casually mentioned that maybe guns should be taken away from unstable people first, and worry about due process later? Republican politicians practically had heart attacks on the spot, and the then-president quickly was brought to heel by the NRA. Good times.

And speaking of the NRA, in a couple days it'll be time to enjoy that big enclave in Houston. What thrills they'll have celebrating firearms! Maybe they can even put photos of politicians they don't like on targets and pretend to shoot them, to the hoots and hollers of their mouth-breathing sycophants. Can't beat that for fun!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #109 on: May 24, 2022, 10:53:44 PM »
The Republican Party has blood on their hands and will continue to block any sort of legislation to stop actual change.

Joe Biden has been in the Congress or the White House for 50 years. In those 5 decades he has not done one goddamn thing that would have stopped today's shooting in Texas.

And, the Democratic Congress could pass ANY gun control legislation they wanted, tomorrow, if either Joe Manchin or Kyrsten Sinema voted to amend the Senate fillibuster rule. The Republicans would be irrelavent.

So if you're looking for blood on anyone's hands, maybe you should look a little closer to home.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #110 on: May 24, 2022, 10:55:43 PM »

Sound like a tough guy. Are you sure it isn't because you are afraid that Bambi will stare you to death?

And if your gun is locked up as it should be, it is almost always useless against a home invader. Safety tip #1: You don't get to ask an intruder if it is OK to get your gun to shoot him.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #111 on: May 24, 2022, 10:59:10 PM »
Both of my parents who are teachers are retiring after 34 years of teaching.

All I’ve been doing is been counting down the days until their retirement so that was one less thing I would have to worry about, they they survived. Literally survived.

Then I remember my sister is in year two of teaching and I have another 30 year countdown.

Survival, that’s literally all I can think about when guns are still readily and easily available. Not education, but survival. And that should be the furthest thing from any parent/student/teacher mind.

You should be ashamed of yourself if you think guns aren’t a problem in this country.

My daughter, who is a teacher, was as distraught today as I have ever seen her. Of course to R's, that would be taken as a sign of mental illness.

Mucubfan

• Walk-On
« Reply #112 on: May 24, 2022, 11:01:22 PM »
Joe Biden has been in the Congress or the White House for 50 years. In those 5 decades he has not done one goddamn thing that would have stopped today's shooting in Texas.

And, the Democratic Congress could pass ANY gun control legislation they wanted, tomorrow, if either Joe Manchin or Kyrsten Sinema voted to amend the Senate fillibuster rule. The Republicans would be irrelavent.

So if you're looking for blood on anyone's hands, maybe you should look a little closer to home.

So 96% of democratic senators want change and 0% of republican senators and your reasoning is that democrats are the ones who should look in the mirror. That is, interesting?

Merit Matters

• Walk-On
« Reply #113 on: May 24, 2022, 11:01:51 PM »
Kinda wild whenever someone kills people, everyone blames everyone and everything (including inanimate objects) except for the actual perpetrator.
All Lives Matter

Mucubfan

• Walk-On
« Reply #114 on: May 24, 2022, 11:05:34 PM »
Kinda wild whenever someone kills people, everyone blames everyone and everything (including inanimate objects) except for the actual perpetrator.
Because this doesn’t happen literally anywhere else in the world at this rate and our country’s (1/2 of it) toxic gun culture is the obvious reason, unless you have the wool pulled over your eyes. So sure, blame this individual and sit back and wait fir the next one and do nothing. Solid effort that continues to reap benefits.

Merit Matters

• Walk-On
« Reply #115 on: May 24, 2022, 11:08:49 PM »
Because this doesn’t happen literally anywhere else in the world at this rate and our country’s (1/2 of it) toxic gin culture is the obvious reason, unless you have the wool pulled over your eyes. So sure, blame this individual and sit back and wait fir the next one and do nothing. Solid effort that continues to reap benefits.
Guns aren’t going away. Armalite rifles aren’t going away, I never worry about this so I don’t argue about it nor fear it. Nobody is coming for my guns or anyone else’s, because that would be the end of the country. So, something else has to happen. Addressing the cultural rot would be a good start.
All Lives Matter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #116 on: May 24, 2022, 11:12:04 PM »

The 1994 Assault Weapons Ban wasn't a goddamn thing?
Regardless, this post shows a woeful lack of understanding of how the government works.

Mucubfan

• Walk-On
« Reply #117 on: May 24, 2022, 11:12:35 PM »
Guns aren’t going away. Armalite rifles aren’t going away, I never worry about this so I don’t argue about it nor fear it. Nobody is coming for my guns or anyone else’s, because that would be the end of the country. So, something else has to happen. Addressing the cultural rot would be a good start.
The cultural rot that has people saying, “they better not be commin’ for ma guns!”

So stupid. Keep letting kids die because of fear of living without an assault rifle. Imagine the sad sad life without the precious weapon of war.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #118 on: May 24, 2022, 11:13:27 PM »
One guy (1!) unsuccessfully tried to detonate an explosive on a plane with his shoe 20 years ago. Ever since, people are forced to take off their shoes before going to get on a plane.

Yet, here we are.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #119 on: May 24, 2022, 11:13:38 PM »

The fact that you truly believe that taking away peoples guns would be the end of the country is the exactly rhetoric that makes guns incredibly problematic.

Honest to god question, how would your life be any different if you didn’t have a gun?

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #120 on: May 24, 2022, 11:14:48 PM »

Ha ha ha ha ha.
You posted this four days ago:

"Ok, people know about the shooting now. Just realize this happens in Chicago every night because of the thugs, mayor and soft on crime policies."
https://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=63391.msg1450205#msg1450205

Your hypocrisy knows no limits, Cheeks.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 11:16:45 PM by Pakuni »

Dickthedribbler

• All American
« Reply #121 on: May 24, 2022, 11:17:15 PM »
The 1994 Assault Weapons Ban wasn't a goddamn thing?
Regardless, this post shows a woeful lack of understanding of how the government works.

You need to read a little more closely. The 1994 Assault Weapons Ban did nothing to prevent the Texas shooting, did it??

Merit Matters

• Walk-On
« Reply #122 on: May 24, 2022, 11:18:30 PM »
The cultural rot that has people saying, “they better not be commin’ for ma guns!”

So stupid. Keep letting kids die because of fear of living without an assault rifle. Imagine the sad sad life without the precious weapon of war.
Everyone is entitled to an opinion. It’s not my fault people go nuts and shoot up schools. My job is to protect my family to the best of my ability. There’s no such thing as an assault rifle by the way.
All Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #123 on: May 24, 2022, 11:19:43 PM »
One guy (1!) unsuccessfully tried to detonate an explosive on a plane with his shoe 20 years ago. Ever since, people are forced to take off their shoes before going to get on a plane.

Yet, here we are.

That's a real eye-opening post, Dish. So effen true. What a country.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Mucubfan

• Walk-On
« Reply #124 on: May 24, 2022, 11:23:26 PM »
Everyone is entitled to an opinion. It’s not my fault people go nuts and shoot up schools. My job is to protect my family to the best of my ability. There’s no such thing as an assault rifle by the way.
You want to argue semantics. I want to save kids lives. I’m cool with that.

It’s no one’s fault then. Somehow though, this doesn’t happen in the UK, Australia, or most any other developed country. Can’t figure out why though… keep hugging your guns buddy.