[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What are you watching in 2023?  (Read 81603 times)

Its DJOver

• All American
Re: What are you watching in 2022?
« Reply #900 on: March 14, 2023, 03:01:52 PM »
Won't spoil anything, but season two will not just be "and they lived happily ever after".  Based on some interviews I read they want to continue to be extremely faithful to the game as much as they can.  If that is the case, season two will be even darker.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #901 on: March 14, 2023, 03:08:31 PM »
Of the 9 episodes, I'd call at least a half-dozen "great."

Interesting point, and I'm not sure I'd disagree. It kind of highlights the question for me...why am I reluctant to give it "great" overall. I don't have an answer.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #902 on: March 14, 2023, 03:12:51 PM »
Won't spoil anything, but season two will not just be "and they lived happily ever after".  Based on some interviews I read they want to continue to be extremely faithful to the game as much as they can.  If that is the case, season two will be even darker.

As someone who knows nothing of the game, I think it's technically impossible for me to say any spoilers for S2. I feel confident saying that there will have to be some sort of reckoning for what was done and said at the end of the finale. I'm reminded of Maria's words to Ellie.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #903 on: March 14, 2023, 04:20:40 PM »
Couldn't they have waited to release Ted Lasso for 3 more weeks?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #904 on: March 14, 2023, 08:01:42 PM »
Interesting point, and I'm not sure I'd disagree. It kind of highlights the question for me...why am I reluctant to give it "great" overall. I don't have an answer.

Yeah, given that you and I are often quite aligned on our TV-related opinions, I was surprised you didn't!

Hey, even you are allowed to be wrong occasionally.  8-)
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #905 on: March 14, 2023, 11:06:25 PM »
TLOU finale did a a great job with Ellie and the impact recent events have taken on her. I also like how the handled the tension between her and Joel. They also handled Joel's decision very well. It's easy not feel the weight of that decision in the game but I think they made you feel it in the show.

I do think the finale was rushed. I don't like that they only gave it 42 minutes which included the bonus scene at the beginning. I think the main part of the finale needed 10 more minutes to establish itself before the decision. In general I think the show could have done a better job explaining the Fireflies and spent more time on them.

Unsolicited advice for those who are planning to watch season 2 but haven't played the game. Avoid spoilers to the best of your ability (unless you are going to spoil it by playing the game). You may or may not have heard that the second game is controversial or divisive. My personal opinion is that it is neither but the reason that people think that is because there were some leaks before the game premiered and people reacted to the leaks without knowing the proper context. I purposefully avoided the leaks and experiencing the story in the game without advanced knowledge is what made me love it. If I had known the leaks, I don't know if the experience would have been the same.

The second game is probably my favorite game of all time. Fantastic emotional storytelling with powerful messages wrapped in a beautifully crafted world. As good as the first game was, the second game is that much better IMHO.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #906 on: March 15, 2023, 05:30:36 AM »
Yeah, given that you and I are often quite aligned on our TV-related opinions, I was surprised you didn't!

Hey, even you are allowed to be wrong occasionally.  8-)

I think my issue is that it felt more like a series of thematically-linked vignettes than a series. That made for some really memorable — and great episodes — but maybe not a great series. I think maybe it’s a result of converting a video game into a series. But, as I said, I thought it was very good. I’m excited for the next season.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #907 on: March 15, 2023, 09:11:56 AM »
I think my issue is that it felt more like a series of thematically-linked vignettes than a series. That made for some really memorable — and great episodes — but maybe not a great series. I think maybe it’s a result of converting a video game into a series. But, as I said, I thought it was very good. I’m excited for the next season.

That's a great synopsis.  I'm personally comfortable calling this show great, but if you give a structural demerit for the vignette layout vs pure chronological plot development, that's valid.  For me, the vignettes are sufficiently tied together (and the quality is objectively there).  This is quickly rising on the list of my favorite shows. Episode 3 reminded me a lot of San Junipero from Black Mirror, which is about as high praise as I can give.

This is just such a smart show.  I'm not familiar with the game, but taking on the selfishness-wrapped-in-unselfishness of having children and making them your raison d'etre is approaching a societal/artistic third rail, and the way its been done so far and is being foreshadowed is ::chef's kiss::

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #908 on: March 15, 2023, 09:20:39 AM »
That's a great synopsis.  I'm personally comfortable calling this show great, but if you give a structural demerit for the vignette layout vs pure chronological plot development, that's valid.  For me, the vignettes are sufficiently tied together (and the quality is objectively there).  This is quickly rising on the list of my favorite shows. Episode 3 reminded me a lot of San Junipero from Black Mirror, which is about as high praise as I can give.

This is just such a smart show.  I'm not familiar with the game, but taking on the selfishness-wrapped-in-unselfishness of having children and making them your raison d'etre is approaching a societal/artistic third rail, and the way its been done so far and is being foreshadowed is ::chef's kiss::

I want to be clear -- in case I haven't been -- those episodes that were out of chronological order were outstanding. Both the Bill/Frank episode and the Ellie/Riley episodes were two of the best episodes of TV I've seen in a long while. Honestly, I think what I would have liked in this series that would have put it over the top for me was about another two episodes. I would have liked to see more of Joel and Ellie's journey -- both literally and figuratively. How did they get from Bill's house (wherever the hell that was) to KC? How did they get from KC to WY to CO to SLC? And more relationship development along the way. But you're absolutely right -- "the quality is objectively there."

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #909 on: March 15, 2023, 09:16:46 PM »
Thought The Last of Us was outstanding. Part of me wished I hadn’t played the game because I think some of the episodes would have absolutely hit harder than they did if I didn’t know what was coming.

Pascal and Ramsey were obviously great as were most of the supporting characters.

Very minor criticism in that I think it could have been a couple of episodes longer and I wouldn’t have minded another big set piece or two that involved the infected.

The 2nd game will be split into at least two more seasons. Having played the 2nd game as well I’ll be very interested in hoe they adapt that narrative for television as it’s much more complex than the first game.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #910 on: March 22, 2023, 09:00:02 AM »
Some serious run time of the interlocking MU logo on Oak Island last night.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #911 on: March 22, 2023, 08:24:35 PM »
Enjoyed the Letterman/U2 discussion on Disney+.   Felt like it could have been more, but still an enjoyable hour and a half.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #912 on: March 23, 2023, 09:43:21 AM »
No mention of Ted Lasso S3 yet. I thought E1 was a fine, but not great. But, it was a typical E1 - setting the table for the season. I thought E2 was pretty good. My feelings about the season arc is that both decisions that were made in E2 against the wishes of the others will have disastrous consequences. I'm also guessing that Ted had a line that was foreshadowing the state of affairs when the series wraps.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #913 on: March 24, 2023, 07:45:27 PM »
John Wick 4 delivers exactly what youd expect and then some.

The last 45 minutes is a 30 minute non stop action sequence and then the quick wrap up.

The first 2 hours is about 1.5 hours of action as well.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #914 on: March 25, 2023, 06:38:31 AM »
Enjoyed the Letterman/U2 discussion on Disney+.   Felt like it could have been more, but still an enjoyable hour and a half.

On my viewing list.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #915 on: March 26, 2023, 11:37:35 PM »
No mention of Ted Lasso S3 yet. I thought E1 was a fine, but not great. But, it was a typical E1 - setting the table for the season. I thought E2 was pretty good. My feelings about the season arc is that both decisions that were made in E2 against the wishes of the others will have disastrous consequences. I'm also guessing that Ted had a line that was foreshadowing the state of affairs when the series wraps.

Zava is clearly supposed to be a fairly on the nose homage to Zlatan, no?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #916 on: March 27, 2023, 09:18:39 AM »
Zava is clearly supposed to be a fairly on the nose homage to Zlatan, no?

For sure. Guessing we'll get some meteoric team rise fueled by his play coupled with a ton of dissension in the ranks and collapse as the season goes on.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #917 on: March 27, 2023, 09:52:25 AM »
Anyone watched Fauda?  It's an Israeli show on Netflix. I've flown through the 4 seasons this winter.  Really enjoyed it. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

MU82

• All American
« Reply #918 on: March 27, 2023, 11:17:46 AM »
Took a few minutes to really sink into Succession last night -- and sometimes the characters seemed like caricatures of themselves, with their halting styles and pet phrases -- but S4 E1 did leave looking forward to more. I thought Brian Cox and Matthew Macfadyen had particularly strong episodes.

“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #919 on: March 27, 2023, 02:34:44 PM »
Anyone watched Fauda?  It's an Israeli show on Netflix. I've flown through the 4 seasons this winter.  Really enjoyed it.

On my list I’ll get to it x soon.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #920 on: March 29, 2023, 08:55:40 AM »
I found it interesting that Ted Lasso used Prisencolinensinainciusol as the backdrop of soccer montage. Famously, the song is gibberish, but it "sounds" like English. There's a reason for everything they put in shows like this...I wonder what the writers were getting at. Perhaps, "this looks like success, but things aren't always what they seem"?

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #921 on: March 29, 2023, 09:30:39 AM »
I found it interesting that Ted Lasso used Prisencolinensinainciusol as the backdrop of soccer montage. Famously, the song is gibberish, but it "sounds" like English. There's a reason for everything they put in shows like this...I wonder what the writers were getting at. Perhaps, "this looks like success, but things aren't always what they seem"?

I think they're definitely setting up some sort of fall.

Also, the "pre-Madonna" scene killed me.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #922 on: March 29, 2023, 10:03:41 AM »
I think they're definitely setting up some sort of fall.

Also, the "pre-Madonna" scene killed me.

Absolutely I think they are setting up a fall. Or two. As I mentioned in a previous post, I think both decisions that were made in the premier against the advice of others will have disastrous consequences. Brew has already predicted how Rebecca's decision to sign Zava will play out -- and the beginning of that is already well underway. I think the closing moments last night may have set the stage for how Ted's decision to let Crimm embed with the team will lead to challenges.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #923 on: March 29, 2023, 01:05:27 PM »
Surprised that it hasn't been brought up yet, but Shrinking on Apple+ is the funniest show of the last year and change.  Its some of the wittiest, sharpest writing Ive seen in a LONG time.

Jason Segal is very funny and does what he does best, but Harrison Ford absolutely STEALS nearly every scene he's in...comedically.  Obviously he's an incredible actor and an icon, but he's not been in a good comedic movie in decades.  Not exactly his wheelhouse, but he's unreal.

Show was created by Segal, Bill Lawrence (created Scrubs, co-created Spin City and Ted Lasson) and ROY F*!%$!G KENT, so that alone gave it bona fides.

Related, Harrison Ford with a very interesting year.  In the past 8 years, he's made 5 non-animated movies (and 1 cameo).  Of the 5, 1 was as Hans Solo in Force Awakens, 1 was reprising Rick Deckard in Blade Runner 2049, and the other was the 3rd in the Expendables franchise.  So 2 new original movies, Age of Adaline and Call of the Wild.  Now suddenly, at age 80, never acted in a TV series as a lead, he's a lead in 1923 and now in Shrinking, the latter a type of role he's never done.  Its kind of awesome. 

Didn't make a ton of sense then I realized that his adopted son he has with Calista Flockhart recently entered his 20s.  So a super successful and wealthy actor in his 60s stepped back to raise his young kid and enjoy semi-retirement.  And now as a renewed empty-nester of sorts, might as well get back on the horse, no pun intended.

Catching up on this show this week.

I really enjoy it

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #924 on: March 29, 2023, 01:16:44 PM »
Catching up on this show this week.

I really enjoy it

I just put it down the last couple days

Really enjoyed it. More my style than Lasso actually.

Segal is always a treat. Him and Ford are awesome whenever together.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....