[Today at 12:50:35 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by warriorchick
[Today at 12:06:20 PM]

MU Gear by Pepe Sylvia
[Today at 11:45:12 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[Today at 11:11:25 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: What are you watching in 2024?  (Read 87742 times)

Golden Avalanche

• All American
Re: What are you watching in 2022?
« Reply #875 on: February 24, 2023, 05:00:36 PM »
Agreed.

Which is really interesting cause he had to seemingly grind so much to get where he was. You'd think he'd have significant fortitude.

Yep.

And it puts into a good light guys who had similar period of success, drifted a bit, and then revived their game to win again. Seems to help prove the theory that the elite level guys are truly built differently then the very good guys.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #876 on: February 24, 2023, 07:00:17 PM »

However, the plot is wildly absurd.

You're the first person I've ever heard say that.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #877 on: February 24, 2023, 10:00:36 PM »
Just finished the first season of The OA / Netflix.

Whoa.  No doubt, I was captivated.  And the season finale really .. whoa.  Hard to explain why it was so gripping.

Super don't want to be disappointed for S2.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #878 on: February 24, 2023, 10:28:34 PM »
You're the first person I've ever heard say that.

Read Kevin Williamson’s review. I understand the plot ideas but they’re ludicrous
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #879 on: February 25, 2023, 07:57:58 AM »
The WSJ did not like Coacaine Bear.  Apparently the director was trying to emulate the Coen Brothers and failed miserably. 

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #880 on: February 25, 2023, 10:25:55 AM »
The WSJ did not like Coacaine Bear.  Apparently the director was trying to emulate the Coen Brothers and failed miserably.

I think the WSJ and I have different senses of humor. I haven’t seen the movie, but it seems like comedy movies that lack in quality can still make me laugh quite a bit.

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #881 on: February 25, 2023, 10:35:48 AM »
When I think about reading a movie review, my first instinct is to read the WSJ.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #882 on: February 25, 2023, 10:39:18 AM »
The Whale was better than we expected.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #883 on: February 25, 2023, 12:46:58 PM »
When I think about reading a movie review, my first instinct is to read the WSJ.

I'm not sure why they would be better or worse than anyone else.  They and the NYT do a good job with book and theater reviews. 

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #884 on: February 25, 2023, 09:00:15 PM »
Read Kevin Williamson’s review. I understand the plot ideas but they’re ludicrous

"First, a gun-nerd objection."

That's the first thing you want to say about the movie?

"One other weird thing: Every third person in this movie is Comanche"

??????

National Review ? Guess Armond White was busy.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2023, 09:02:52 PM by Mutaman »

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #885 on: February 25, 2023, 09:22:52 PM »
"First, a gun-nerd objection."

That's the first thing you want to say about the movie?

"One other weird thing: Every third person in this movie is Comanche"

??????

National Review ? Guess Armond White was busy.

I’m hardly a National Review fan but Williamson has always been pretty good read. 

He’s right about the ludicrous nature of the movie.

I enjoyed the hell out of the movie and would recommend.  Most movie plots are ridiculous if we think about it. 
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #886 on: February 26, 2023, 12:20:12 AM »

Most movie plots are ridiculous if we think about it.

Fair enough. The music is also just terrific.
Nick Cave (of course)
Towns Van Zandt
Ray Wylie Hubbard
Waylon
Chris Stapleton
« Last Edit: February 26, 2023, 01:55:28 AM by Mutaman »

Mutaman

• All American
« Reply #887 on: February 26, 2023, 12:20:40 AM »
woops

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #888 on: March 02, 2023, 07:44:07 AM »
1883 is very good and I like 1923 so far. I am a Star Trek Junkie and find Discovery and Strange New Worlds enjoyable.

Have you watched, "The Expanse" or "Firefly"?

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #889 on: March 02, 2023, 07:44:59 AM »
Just finished the first season of The OA / Netflix.

Whoa.  No doubt, I was captivated.  And the season finale really .. whoa.  Hard to explain why it was so gripping.

Super don't want to be disappointed for S2.

I stopped after S1, my wife continued and enjoyed.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #890 on: March 05, 2023, 09:51:44 PM »
Damn, that was one intense mothereffen episode. What a show.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #891 on: March 05, 2023, 10:36:10 PM »
Damn, that was one intense mothereffen episode. What a show.

That was something. They added a little more context from the game that helped explain something that never made sense to me. Without giving anything away, they are doing a fantastic job foreshadowing season 2. Lots of little things that I only know to pick up on because I know what's coming.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #892 on: March 06, 2023, 12:30:06 AM »
Bummed there’s only one more episode and a likely long wait until S2. Part of me wishes I had never played the games but it doesn’t take away from how good the show is.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #893 on: March 06, 2023, 07:23:34 AM »
That was something. They added a little more context from the game that helped explain something that never made sense to me. Without giving anything away, they are doing a fantastic job foreshadowing season 2. Lots of little things that I only know to pick up on because I know what's coming.

Thanks for not giving anything away, TAMU. I had never even heard of the game until 2 months ago, have never see it, and am not likely to ever see it. I don't want to know what's coming, just as I didn't want to know what was coming in GoT.

Like VBMG, I'm bummed that this incredible first season is almost over and we'll have to wait a year or two for S2!

Meanwhile ...

Bella Ramsey has gone from "fine young performer" to effen superstar IMHO. Her performances in these last 2 episodes -- totally carrying them while Pedro Pascal had relatively little screen time -- I mean, I don't know what goes into Emmy nominations, but come on!

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #894 on: March 14, 2023, 11:48:27 AM »
Surprised that it hasn't been brought up yet, but Shrinking on Apple+ is the funniest show of the last year and change.  Its some of the wittiest, sharpest writing Ive seen in a LONG time.

Jason Segal is very funny and does what he does best, but Harrison Ford absolutely STEALS nearly every scene he's in...comedically.  Obviously he's an incredible actor and an icon, but he's not been in a good comedic movie in decades.  Not exactly his wheelhouse, but he's unreal.

Show was created by Segal, Bill Lawrence (created Scrubs, co-created Spin City and Ted Lasson) and ROY F*!%$!G KENT, so that alone gave it bona fides.

Related, Harrison Ford with a very interesting year.  In the past 8 years, he's made 5 non-animated movies (and 1 cameo).  Of the 5, 1 was as Hans Solo in Force Awakens, 1 was reprising Rick Deckard in Blade Runner 2049, and the other was the 3rd in the Expendables franchise.  So 2 new original movies, Age of Adaline and Call of the Wild.  Now suddenly, at age 80, never acted in a TV series as a lead, he's a lead in 1923 and now in Shrinking, the latter a type of role he's never done.  Its kind of awesome. 

Didn't make a ton of sense then I realized that his adopted son he has with Calista Flockhart recently entered his 20s.  So a super successful and wealthy actor in his 60s stepped back to raise his young kid and enjoy semi-retirement.  And now as a renewed empty-nester of sorts, might as well get back on the horse, no pun intended.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #895 on: March 14, 2023, 12:02:34 PM »
Surprised that it hasn't been brought up yet, but Shrinking on Apple+ is the funniest show of the last year and change.  Its some of the wittiest, sharpest writing Ive seen in a LONG time.

Jason Segal is very funny and does what he does best, but Harrison Ford absolutely STEALS nearly every scene he's in...comedically.  Obviously he's an incredible actor and an icon, but he's not been in a good comedic movie in decades.  Not exactly his wheelhouse, but he's unreal.

Show was created by Segal, Bill Lawrence (created Scrubs, co-created Spin City and Ted Lasson) and ROY F*!%$!G KENT, so that alone gave it bona fides.

Related, Harrison Ford with a very interesting year.  In the past 8 years, he's made 5 non-animated movies (and 1 cameo).  Of the 5, 1 was as Hans Solo in Force Awakens, 1 was reprising Rick Deckard in Blade Runner 2049, and the other was the 3rd in the Expendables franchise.  So 2 new original movies, Age of Adaline and Call of the Wild.  Now suddenly, at age 80, never acted in a TV series as a lead, he's a lead in 1923 and now in Shrinking, the latter a type of role he's never done.  Its kind of awesome. 

Didn't make a ton of sense then I realized that his adopted son he has with Calista Flockhart recently entered his 20s.  So a super successful and wealthy actor in his 60s stepped back to raise his young kid and enjoy semi-retirement.  And now as a renewed empty-nester of sorts, might as well get back on the horse, no pun intended.

And everyone loved his hug of "Short Round" at the Oscars as he got to the present the Oscar to Key Huy Quan.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #896 on: March 14, 2023, 12:55:53 PM »

Shrinking is excellent.  The "Can we play that song I like?" scene with Ford in the 3rd or 4th episode is brilliant and apparently he was the one who picked the song. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #897 on: March 14, 2023, 02:11:30 PM »
Shrinking is fun. Not as funny IMHO as, say, Ted Lasso or Hacks, to name a couple other current comedies, but we find ourselves chuckling several times every episode.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #898 on: March 14, 2023, 02:52:20 PM »
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the season finale of The Last of Us.

I looked back at my initial post about the show:

I also started watching TLOU last week. It’s good. Well done and really good performances. I know absolutely nothing about the game, so for me it’s really just going to need to stand in its own as a post-apocalyptic zombie show. Unless, of course, it’s more than that. Which brings me to E3 which I watched last night and…well…it was “more than that.” Good episode of television. Since I know nothing of the game, I’m just getting to know these characters which is why I need to ask, “Are we not going to talk about what Ellie did in that basement space?! WTF?!”

I thought it was a very good show. Perhaps not great, but very good. I watched every episode and will, no doubt, watch the next season. Pascal and Ramsey are extremely good and definitely deserve nominations for their work -- and likely should win.

The show is definitely more than just a "post-apocalyptic zombie show." I was actually surprised by how little they showed or focused on the "zombies" (yes, I know, they're not zombies). One challenge with the show -- at least for me -- is that it is so unrelenting in its sadness. TSeeing some interviews with the creators of the show, they really lean into that. Clearly in their mind, that's a feature, not a bug.

But, it was really, really good. I think that the structure of the show which mimics levels of the video game makes for some extremely memorable episodes because they stand alone so well and don't blend into each other in my memory. The Bill and Frank episode was a brilliant piece of compact and efficient story telling -- that really served the overarching theme of the show. The shopping mall episode was a masterclass in building tension -- of various types (trying to avoid spoilers here) -- again in service of the show's theme.

And the ending...what an amazing and morally ambiguous ending. Lots to think and talk about.  But again, wholly consistent with the theme of the show that was so carefully established in the preceding episodes.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #899 on: March 14, 2023, 02:59:18 PM »
The development of Ellie's character was spectacular -- well written and superbly acted. Loved Pascal and several of the supporting actors too. Of the 9 episodes, I'd call at least a half-dozen "great."

"Tension" is a great word, SAW. Most every episode was dripping with tension. Such an intense show. Definitely my favorite series in a while, and I wish we didn't have to wait however long to see what happens next. (Gamers who think they know what happens next: No spoilers, please!!)

feedback