[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The War in Ukraine  (Read 48830 times)

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
Re: The War in Ukraine
« Reply #525 on: September 28, 2022, 12:08:34 PM »
Once the Germans joined the Vlad Fan Club, it cleared the way for the rest of Europe, as Germany has the largest economy. I believe Vlad offered board seats to at least one Frenchman and one Italian soon after they left office.

I guess we really need to focus on the here and now, but the Europeans are not innocent bystanders in this mess of having been so dependent on Russia for oil and gas. The handwriting was on the wall, but they pretended not to read it.

They made assumptions that Russia would act like a normal country. Even Mitt Romney got a laugh here when he warned of Russia though. Even though it retrospect it was obvious to see how this played out.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #526 on: September 28, 2022, 12:30:25 PM »
Unfortunately, yes IMO. People's pocketbooks will definitely impact their views.

This is one of my concerns regarding everything going on. While it is true that this has been a major failure by Putin and Russia, one outcome could still actually be increased world power in some regards.

See the deal with the Taliban today in Afghanistan. I think you will see other countries who really do not care about Europe, look to make similar deals. With prices world-wide where they are right now, and both food and energy shortages. A lot of less-advanced countries very likely may economically align with Russia for cheap food and oil/gas.

I think that in part was in their original goals. 1) Take what they want from Ukraine (failed miserably). 2) Precipitate a food and energy crisis that strengthens their economic ties to developing nations, while the US decreases exports to keep costs down at home.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #527 on: September 28, 2022, 12:35:12 PM »
This is one of my concerns regarding everything going on. While it is true that this has been a major failure by Putin and Russia, one outcome could still actually be increased world power in some regards.

See the deal with the Taliban today in Afghanistan. I think you will see other countries who really do not care about Europe, look to make similar deals. With prices world-wide where they are right now, and both food and energy shortages. A lot of less-advanced countries very likely may economically align with Russia for cheap food and oil/gas.

I think that in part was in their original goals. 1) Take what they want from Ukraine (failed miserably). 2) Precipitate a food and energy crisis that strengthens their economic ties to developing nations, while the US decreases exports to keep costs down at home.

With regard to 2) above, I think Putin believed he would get little to no resistance in invading Ukraine. And certainly the signals from tfg were just that, including calling the invasion brilliant. I said before, if Putin had only annexed the regions he had already previously controlled in Donbass I think that would have been the case--there wouldn't have been nearly the outcry he is facing. But her decided to try to eat the elephant all at once, which was a tragic mistake for the entire world.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

• All American
« Reply #528 on: September 28, 2022, 01:04:52 PM »

They can sell oil all they want to the developing world. The problem is they can't really buy anything of value with the cash they are making. That is the essential problem with the sanctions from Russia's POV.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #529 on: September 28, 2022, 02:24:31 PM »

They can sell oil all they want to the developing world. The problem is they can't really buy anything of value with the cash they are making. That is the essential problem with the sanctions from Russia's POV.

I think China is going to have more influence in developing countries. They probably do already.

And selling more oil to developing nations will just create a bigger secondary market.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #530 on: September 28, 2022, 02:41:41 PM »
I think China is going to have more influence in developing countries. They probably do already.

And selling more oil to developing nations will just create a bigger secondary market.

Yea, China's Belt and Road Initiative already far surpasses any influence that Russia may develop and exert with oil or nat resources moving forward.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #531 on: October 02, 2022, 07:55:40 AM »
There's an Onion-like pundit in Russia who calls himself Darth Putin. Here are two of his one-liners:

"Stop comparing me to Hitler. He kept things he annexed for several years. I can barely manage several hours." @DarthPutinKGB

"The only people now afraid of the Russian military are Russian men of military age." @DarthPutinKGB
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #532 on: October 02, 2022, 07:57:29 AM »
There's an Onion-like pundit in Russia who calls himself Darth Putin. Here are two of his one-liners:

"Stop comparing me to Hitler. He kept things he annexed for several years. I can barely manage several hours." @DarthPutinKGB

"The only people now afraid of the Russian military are Russian men of military age." @DarthPutinKGB

You forgot his big tagline.

"I remain a master strategist!"

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #533 on: October 02, 2022, 07:58:33 AM »

Ukraine retook Lyman after Russia “annexed” it.
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #534 on: October 04, 2022, 10:01:08 AM »
Is Putin actually crazy enough to use nuclear weapons the longer this plays out?  I'm guessing he will amp up this nuclear threat as things continue to go poorly.  I never thought Vlad was completely delusional but maybe he loses it completely? 

• All American
« Reply #535 on: October 04, 2022, 10:16:28 AM »
Is Putin actually crazy enough to use nuclear weapons the longer this plays out?  I'm guessing he will amp up this nuclear threat as things continue to go poorly.  I never thought Vlad was completely delusional but maybe he loses it completely?

He certainly may be desperate enough. International condemnation might be the better of two options, because he will be dead if he loses this thing.  Again, just a stupid exercise from not only a geopolitical and economic point of view, but the amount of human suffering this is causing is just off the charts. 

But I guess he still has Roger Waters on his side.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/roger-waters-ukrainian-kill-list-1234604081/

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #536 on: October 04, 2022, 11:03:24 AM »

He certainly may be desperate enough. International condemnation might be the better of two options, because he will be dead if he loses this thing.  Again, just a stupid exercise from not only a geopolitical and economic point of view, but the amount of human suffering this is causing is just off the charts. 

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/roger-waters-ukrainian-kill-list-1234604081/

Roger has been on that brain rot for a while. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #537 on: October 04, 2022, 11:12:41 AM »

He has far too many U.S. politicians and Fox News personalities on his side, too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #538 on: October 04, 2022, 12:01:55 PM »
He has far too many U.S. politicians and Fox News personalities on his side, too.

The Tankies

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #539 on: October 04, 2022, 07:37:49 PM »

MUeng

• All American
« Reply #540 on: October 05, 2022, 10:30:51 AM »
this will have to go much further for him to use them. US has made it clear that's a red line that as the tactical nukes move, they'll be targeted quickly and struck. This has to be a slow methodical grind and Ukraine is doing it very well

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #541 on: October 05, 2022, 03:03:43 PM »
this will have to go much further for him to use them. US has made it clear that's a red line that as the tactical nukes move, they'll be targeted quickly and struck. This has to be a slow methodical grind and Ukraine is doing it very well

I think you are probably right.

On the other hand, I think one of the reasons for the annexation of the four Ukrainian territories is that the Russian Constitution only allows for the use of nuclear weapons if there is an attack on Russian soil. That criteria has now been met.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #542 on: October 07, 2022, 10:19:36 AM »
Several British and American intelligence reports of major dissension in Russian military and political circles. I know that if Putin is ousted, his replacement will not be a Gorbachev clone, but if a new leader declares victory while quietly withdrawing from Ukraine, that works for now.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #543 on: October 07, 2022, 10:20:49 AM »
Happy 70th Putin, will you see 71?

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #544 on: October 07, 2022, 10:22:01 AM »

Let's hope for a "surprise" BD party today.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #545 on: October 07, 2022, 10:27:05 AM »

I'd prefer he rotted in prison, but dudes like him don't usually get that sort of treatment.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #546 on: October 07, 2022, 10:41:29 AM »
Putin accidentally fall out of window?

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #547 on: October 07, 2022, 11:21:19 AM »
Let's hope for a "surprise" BD party today.

Cheering for the death of a justly and fairly elected foreign leader of a sovereign nation?  How despicable.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #548 on: October 07, 2022, 11:41:20 AM »

Cheering for the death of a justly and fairly elected foreign leader of a sovereign nation?  How despicable.

Why...why thank you! That's one of the nicest things anyone has called me on Scoop.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #549 on: October 07, 2022, 12:51:12 PM »
It’s going to start snowing in this thread
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

feedback