[Today at 08:40:42 AM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by tower912
[Today at 07:24:54 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: The War in Ukraine  (Read 48399 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: The War in Ukraine
« Reply #575 on: October 10, 2022, 11:07:25 AM »
So we're cool with US taxpayer money being used to carry out ISIS style terror bombings that kill innocent civilians?

Narrator: It's not.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #576 on: October 10, 2022, 11:10:50 AM »
Its possible to be isolationist without steering into moral relativity oblivion. My unsolicited advice is to put your energies into exploring that.

"The ultimate tragedy is not the oppression and cruelty by the bad people but the silence over that by the good people."
- MLK

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #577 on: October 10, 2022, 11:56:37 AM »
I truly don't understand the responses.  That I am an isolationist?  That there is no reasonable debate to be had on the degree of involvement we should have in Ukraine? Here I thought I was criticizing Boozeman's moral equivalency but I guess I'm on his team for saying that the best path to "we should do less in Ukraine" is not "Ukraine and Putin are the same"?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #578 on: October 10, 2022, 11:58:01 AM »
I truly don't understand the responses.  That I am an isolationist?  That there is no reasonable debate to be had on the degree of involvement we should have in Ukraine? Here I thought I was criticizing Boozeman's moral equivalency but I guess I'm on his team for saying that the best path to "we should do less in Ukraine" is not "Ukraine and Putin are the same"?

FWIW, I think your viewpoints have been mischaracterized here by some.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #579 on: October 10, 2022, 12:12:03 PM »

My point is that isolationism requires, if not moral relativism, a willingness to accept oppression and cruelty.
To be fair, the U.S. cannot intervene in every instance of oppression and cruelty around the world, and there have been far too many instances when we've been on the side of the cruel and oppressive.
But when opposing oppression and cruelty also happens to coincide with our national interests, arguing for isolationism (which, it shall be noted, has never been an effective foreign policy) seems foolish to me.

That said, perhaps the confusion is that while you say you want "reasonable debate," you haven't actually explained WHY you think it's best we do less in Ukraine. What, in your mind, is the upside of bettering Russia's chances of success? How are U.S. interests served in allowing a hostile takeover of a European Democracy (yes, an imperfect one, but still). How are we better off with an emboldened Russia pressed up further against our allies?
I'll hang up listen.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 12:13:37 PM by Pakuni »

ATL MU Warrior

• All American
« Reply #580 on: October 10, 2022, 12:37:20 PM »
My point is that isolationism requires, if not moral relativism, a willingness to accept oppression and cruelty.
To be fair, the U.S. cannot intervene in every instance of oppression and cruelty around the world, and there have been far too many instances when we've been on the side of the cruel and oppressive.
But when opposing oppression and cruelty also happens to coincide with our national interests, arguing for isolationism (which, it shall be noted, has never been an effective foreign policy) seems foolish to me.

That said, perhaps the confusion is that while you say you want "reasonable debate," you haven't actually explained WHY you think it's best we do less in Ukraine. What, in your mind, is the upside of bettering Russia's chances of success? How are U.S. interests served in allowing a hostile takeover of a European Democracy (yes, an imperfect one, but still). How are we better off with an emboldened Russia pressed up further against our allies?
I'll hang up listen.
MuBurrow never said this

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #581 on: October 10, 2022, 12:39:11 PM »
« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 01:01:34 PM by Pakuni »

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #582 on: October 10, 2022, 12:41:15 PM »
Woof. Just highlighting to our friend Boozeman that a person can take the position that we should be doing less in Ukraine without also having to believe that Ukraine is just as bad as Putin's Russia.  That's not actually my personal opinion, but its one that I can engage with.  But hey, I appreciate a kneejerk proof of Godwin's law as much as the next guy, so thanks for that.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #583 on: October 10, 2022, 12:41:28 PM »
MuBurrow never said this

If that's true, then I misunderstood and he can let me know.
My, perhaps faulty, assumption is that defending isolationism is, by default, defending doing less in Ukraine.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #584 on: October 10, 2022, 01:07:03 PM »
Its possible to be isolationist without steering into moral relativity oblivion. My unsolicited advice is to put your energies into exploring that.

I am all for being isolationist when it is our strategic interest to be isolationist.  Unfortunately, I don't think this is one of those times.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Boozemon Barro

• All American
« Reply #585 on: October 10, 2022, 03:15:03 PM »
If we were more "isolationist" this war wouldn't even be happening. We've had four administrations in a row that have taken steps to bring Ukraine into the NATO fold despite loud objections from Russia.

Bush backed membership for Ukraine and Georgia in NATO membership which prompted the invasion of Georgia.

During Obama's tenure we orchestrated the Maiden Revolution which ousted a Russian friendly government and installed one friendly to NATO. Subsequently Russia annexed Crimea. Obama then started providing direct aid to Ukraine, but no weapons. Obama seemed to understand the situation the best when he said the following .
[img]https://ibb.co/W2H2SCZ/[img]

Trump really ramped up things when he started providing direct military aid and weapons to Ukraine and began pressuring European countries to stop importing Russian gas. Hilariously, he was called a Russian puppet while he was doing this.

Now we have Biden and we're in a full blown proxy war with a nuclear power. Tens of thousands dead and we're the closest to nuclear war we've been since the Cuban Missile Crisis and I have yet to see really anyone on the NATO side talking about a peaceful resolution. Things just keep escalating back and forth and people are talking about good guys and bad guys like it's a marvel movie.

I have never and still don't understand why Ukraine is so important to the US. I get why it's important to Russia. Try to imagine how the US would react if China announced to the world that they were going to join a military alliance with Mexico, then coordinated a coup to install a Chinese friendly government and started pumping Mexico full of weapons. I don't think that would go over very well.

The truely sick people are those that support the war as a way to weaken Russia while not sacrificing any US lives. Just despicable people who don't give a flying fvck about Ukraine and it's people.

My endgame is a way towards peace. Russua will gain territory in Ukraine and Ukraine will not be joining NATO. Everyone else wants Russia completely out of Ukraine and for Putin to be taken out. If we go down that road I think the nukes will fly. I don't think the sovereignty of Eastern Ukraine is worth a nuclear war.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #586 on: October 10, 2022, 03:46:17 PM »
If we were more "isolationist" this war wouldn't even be happening. We've had four administrations in a row that have taken steps to bring Ukraine into the NATO fold despite loud objections from Russia.

Bush backed membership for Ukraine and Georgia in NATO membership which prompted the invasion of Georgia.

During Obama's tenure we orchestrated the Maiden Revolution which ousted a Russian friendly government and installed one friendly to NATO. Subsequently Russia annexed Crimea. Obama then started providing direct aid to Ukraine, but no weapons. Obama seemed to understand the situation the best when he said the following .

Trump really ramped up things when he started providing direct military aid and weapons to Ukraine and began pressuring European countries to stop importing Russian gas. Hilariously, he was called a Russian puppet while he was doing this.

Now we have Biden and we're in a full blown proxy war with a nuclear power. Tens of thousands dead and we're the closest to nuclear war we've been since the Cuban Missile Crisis and I have yet to see really anyone on the NATO side talking about a peaceful resolution. Things just keep escalating back and forth and people are talking about good guys and bad guys like it's a marvel movie.

I have never and still don't understand why Ukraine is so important to the US. I get why it's important to Russia. Try to imagine how the US would react if China announced to the world that they were going to join a military alliance with Mexico, then coordinated a coup to install a Chinese friendly government and started pumping Mexico full of weapons. I don't think that would go over very well.

The truely sick people are those that support the war as a way to weaken Russia while not sacrificing any US lives. Just despicable people who don't give a flying fvck about Ukraine and it's people.

My endgame is a way towards peace. Russua will gain territory in Ukraine and Ukraine will not be joining NATO. Everyone else wants Russia completely out of Ukraine and for Putin to be taken out. If we go down that road I think the nukes will fly. I don't think the sovereignty of Eastern Ukraine is worth a nuclear war.

You’re wrong
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #587 on: October 10, 2022, 04:06:39 PM »

This is the "We made Putin do it" excuse that is popular in certain circles. The U.S. orchestrated the revolution that kicked a Russian puppet government to the curb by a unanimous vote of the Ukrainian parliament??  OK, sure.

Have you considered that maybe there is a reason Ukraine has been trying to join NATO for a couple of decades? And NATO and the west have floated a peace plan, and it is for Putin to get the unnatural carnal knowledge out. But yeah, your idea of simply giving up 25% of their country in exchange for temporary peace until Putin can regroup and try for the rest of it, that will surely float, just as the U.S. would be happy to give up 25% of its landmass to invaders as long as they promise peace.

If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #588 on: October 10, 2022, 04:53:46 PM »
I appreciate that BB made a reasonably coherent argument.   I disagree with it.  It ignores that Putin is the one constant.  The other annexations.  The assassinations of political opponents around the world.  The desire to and efforts to destabilize the west.

Putin is a classic strongman dictator.   Idi Amin, Castro, etc with a bigger country and more weapons.   History, assuming there is still a world left to study history, will judge him as such.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #589 on: October 10, 2022, 04:58:51 PM »

This is the Glenn Greenwald playbook.
1. Deny that Russia is aggressive, and then blame the U.S. when Russia proves otherwise.

2. Allege the U.S. orchestrated the Maiden Revolution, based on largely disproven claims.*

3. Argue that U.S. support for Western-style Democracies (even an imperfect one) is the exact same thing as a totalitarian government seizing control of a Democratic country on our border.

4. Claim you care about the Ukrainian people, while ignoring their desire for self-determination and their willingness to fight for it, and instead selling them out to an oppressive dictatorship under which they will lose substantial freedoms.

* To be clear, the U.S. absolutely cheered on the Maiden Revolution. But being a cheerleader is a whole lot different from being the GM and head coach.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 05:07:37 PM by Pakuni »

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #590 on: October 10, 2022, 05:10:11 PM »
So we're cool with US taxpayer money being used to carry out ISIS style terror bombings that kill innocent civilians?

Russia fired 81 missiles into civilian areas... and you think ukraine is the bad guy?

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #591 on: October 10, 2022, 05:14:26 PM »

Your end game is the exact formula used by Hitler to gain massive power in Europe. How Gal darn dense are you?

Your advocating for a sovereign country engaged in a proxy war with Russia for 8 years, give up their land to appease Putin's hurt ego?

Really

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #592 on: October 10, 2022, 05:17:03 PM »
This is the Glenn Greenwald playbook.
1. Deny that Russia is aggressive, and then blame the U.S. when Russia proves otherwise.

2. Allege the U.S. orchestrated the Maiden Revolution, based on largely disproven claims.*

3. Argue that U.S. support for Western-style Democracies (even an imperfect one) is the exact same thing as a totalitarian government seizing control of a Democratic country on our border.

4. Claim you care about the Ukrainian people, while ignoring their desire for self-determination and their willingness to fight for it, and instead selling them out to an oppressive dictatorship under which they will lose substantial freedoms.

* To be clear, the U.S. absolutely cheered on the Maiden Revolution. But being a cheerleader is a whole lot different from being the GM and head coach.

Pakuni has it.

I knew their was Russian bots and shills on reddit and news sites. I didn't know we had one on scoop.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #593 on: October 10, 2022, 05:34:59 PM »
This is the "We made Putin do it" excuse that is popular in certain circles. The U.S. orchestrated the revolution that kicked a Russian puppet government to the curb by a unanimous vote of the Ukrainian parliament??  OK, sure.

Have you considered that maybe there is a reason Ukraine has been trying to join NATO for a couple of decades? And NATO and the west have floated a peace plan, and it is for Putin to get the unnatural carnal knowledge out. But yeah, your idea of simply giving up 25% of their country in exchange for temporary peace until Putin can regroup and try for the rest of it, that will surely float, just as the U.S. would be happy to give up 25% of its landmass to invaders as long as they promise peace.

Right. And you can’t join the military or economic alliance you want to join because your neighbor doesn’t like it isn’t really a reasonable stance either.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #594 on: October 10, 2022, 05:58:21 PM »
Right. And you can’t join the military or economic alliance you want to join because your neighbor doesn’t like it isn’t really a reasonable stance either.
Yeah, the China/Mexico analogy misses a few key points. Such as:

* The U.S. insisting Mexico is rightfully part of the U.S.
* The U.S. installing a puppet government in Mexico
* The U.S. annexing the Yucatan peninsula
* The U.S. setting up shadow governments in Sanora and Chihuahua and engaging in ongoing fighting there
* The U.S. outright invading from multiple compass points with the stated goal of capturing Mexico City and taking over the government while kidnapping Mexican citizens and transporting them the U.S. as forced labor.

If those things were true, Mexico would be pretty damn justified in wanting to join a military alliance with China.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #595 on: October 10, 2022, 06:18:28 PM »
Hat tip to lawdog and ATL.  And to the extent it distracted from my broader point, I regret using the word "isolationist."  I should have used some more moderate term.  I think we can all agree that any type of radically isolationist policy is pretty much unsupportable since WWII. 

My initial point was that if you're going to advocate a less involved approach in Ukraine, you're going to need to stay away from moral arguments.  Those aren't going to support your conclusion unless you make a mess of it and devolve into meaningless moral relativism.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #596 on: October 10, 2022, 06:58:48 PM »
"The tankies who claim the Russian invasion is the fault of American imperialism are totally clueless about how many different imperial adventures have played out across the region, and how many different empires have come and gone."

https://snyder.substack.com/p/russias-crimea-disconnect

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #597 on: October 11, 2022, 02:10:38 PM »

shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiet, you're so close.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #598 on: October 11, 2022, 09:42:15 PM »
I don’t disagree with those here who want us to support the Ukrainian war effort.

How far, though, do we go? Is Ukraine worth nuclear war?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #599 on: October 11, 2022, 10:28:37 PM »
I don’t disagree with those here who want us to support the Ukrainian war effort.

How far, though, do we go? Is Ukraine worth nuclear war?

At that point, would it even be about Ukraine? If Putin starts using nukes, isn’t it about the entire world being endangered by an authoritarian madman who thinks it’s ok to use nuclear weapons because his feelings are hurt?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

feedback