'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 2022 Transfer Portal Thread  (Read 214962 times)

Uncle Rico

• All American
Re: 2022 Transfer Portal Thread
« Reply #1275 on: April 22, 2022, 07:44:22 AM »
Nothing can be coordinated through the university, although I wouldn’t put anything past a sleazeball like Self.

National Champion Bill Self
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #1276 on: April 22, 2022, 07:47:57 AM »
Nothing can be coordinated through the university, although I wouldn’t put anything past a sleazeball like Self.

Seriously?  Every school, including Marquette, is coordinating this stuff these days.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

mugrad_89

• All American
« Reply #1277 on: April 22, 2022, 07:50:30 AM »

I won’t disagree that in the NCAA cheating does pay.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #1278 on: April 22, 2022, 09:10:09 AM »
I find it interesting that the guy that doesn't want the future lottery pick is the same guy that is way overhyping the sub 6', borderline top 100 guy.  Bates is an incredible talent, and we could do a lot worse with our open scholarship.  That being said, I don't blame Shaka for not reaching out.  Bates is going to go wherever he can get the most $$$, and that's not MU.

Jones is a guy that wants to be here and is a piece to build around. You'd have to pay Bates to be here and he only averaged 9 ppg on 38% shooting in the A10.

There may be 1 year guys that fit the mold moving forward but it isn't Bates. Pretty easy to see that.

VIOLENCE!

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #1279 on: April 22, 2022, 09:19:51 AM »
Jones is a guy that wants to be here and is a piece to build around. You'd have to pay Bates to be here and he only averaged 9 ppg on 38% shooting in the A10.

There may be 1 year guys that fit the mold moving forward but it isn't Bates. Pretty easy to see that.

Bates didn’t play in the A-10
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1280 on: April 22, 2022, 09:23:15 AM »
Just like the 2013 Louisville National Champs ..... that never were.

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #1281 on: April 22, 2022, 09:31:13 AM »
Bates didn’t play in the A-10

AAC, American, ACA, ABBA, A10 whatever it is.
VIOLENCE!

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #1282 on: April 22, 2022, 10:03:37 AM »
Just like the 2013 Louisville National Champs ..... that never were.

Still my 2013 National Champ

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #1283 on: April 22, 2022, 11:27:33 AM »
I don't know if this belongs here, but its being reported Patrick Baldwin,Jr is declaring for the NBA Draft ! ! !   8-)

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1284 on: April 22, 2022, 11:28:56 AM »

Emoni Bates, who should have been a high school senior last year, played college ball as a 17-year-old and averaged 9.7 ppg despite battling a back injury. He's bad and couldn't help a team like Marquette because he shot 38%.

Tyler Kolek, who shot 32%, needs to be moved off the ball so he can get more shots and lessen his impact at the thing he's really good at, i.e. distributing the ball to better scorers. This would allow Marquette to slide a borderline top 100 kid into the role of primary point guard, despite him never playing a minute of college ball.

Scoop has some weird takes sometime, man.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #1285 on: April 22, 2022, 11:37:53 AM »
Emoni Bates, who should have been a high school senior last year, played college ball as a 17-year-old and averaged 9.7 ppg despite battling a back injury. He's bad and couldn't help a team like Marquette because he shot 38%.

Tyler Kolek, who shot 32%, needs to be moved off the ball so he can get more shots and lessen his impact at the thing he's really good at, i.e. distributing the ball to better scorers. This would allow Marquette to slide a borderline top 100 kid into the role of primary point guard, despite him never playing a minute of college ball.

Scoop has some weird takes sometime, man.

A high usage, low efficiency player that will be gone in a year is not the culture Shaka is going for.

A multiyear player like Kolek, who improves over time, and is still here in 2-3 years is exactly the culture Shaka is going for.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1286 on: April 22, 2022, 11:39:59 AM »
I don't know if this belongs here, but its being reported Patrick Baldwin,Jr is declaring for the NBA Draft ! ! !   8-)

Shocking.  People were saying he was transferring to UW.  In fact, I think it was the same people who said Kansas was our only hope to beat the Badgers.

I hope he falls to the Bucks in the draft.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1287 on: April 22, 2022, 11:53:55 AM »
A multiyear player like Kolek, who improves over time, and is still here in 2-3 years is exactly the culture Shaka is going for.

Honestly, that scares the hell out of me.  I like Kolek, but it doesn't sound like a recipe for the success Marquette fans desire.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #1288 on: April 22, 2022, 12:12:15 PM »
Honestly, that scares the hell out of me.  I like Kolek, but it doesn't sound like a recipe for the success Marquette fans desire.

Shaka will get better multiyear players than Kolek, too.  He's just one example.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #1289 on: April 22, 2022, 12:14:28 PM »

Good decision.  Some team will still take a gamble on him.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1290 on: April 22, 2022, 12:16:44 PM »
Shaka will get better multiyear players than Kolek, too.  He's just one example.

Sure, but "culture" is going to wear thin real fast.  Marquette should be getting players that want to win, and are at least good enough to be be paid professionals in the near future.  Sticking around for 3 years because you like being around Shaka so much shouldn't be a criteria.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #1291 on: April 22, 2022, 12:17:42 PM »
Sure, but "culture" is going to wear thin real fast.  Marquette should be getting players that want to win, and are at least good enough to be be paid professionals in the near future.  Sticking around for 3 years because you like being around Shaka so much shouldn't be a criteria.
Agree. That line of thinking smells like a Badger

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #1292 on: April 22, 2022, 12:19:48 PM »
Matt Heldt was the ultimate "culture" guy. 13 scholarship players of his quality has us behind Gtown and DePaul.  If I believed for one second that the school (either directly or indirectly, however the rules and laws allow) could put together a competitive NIL deal for Bates, I'd be criticizing Shaka for not pursuing.  I know we can't afford him, so it's time well not spent.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1293 on: April 22, 2022, 12:26:06 PM »
Good decision.  Some team will still take a gamble on him.

His old man probably has the same NBA connections that Crean has, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #1294 on: April 22, 2022, 12:32:01 PM »
Matt Heldt was the ultimate "culture" guy. 13 scholarship players of his quality has us behind Gtown and DePaul.  If I believed for one second that the school (either directly or indirectly, however the rules and laws allow) could put together a competitive NIL deal for Bates, I'd be criticizing Shaka for not pursuing.  I know we can't afford him, so it's time well not spent.

Why are we equating culture with lack of basketball ability?

The Amigos were culture guys.  Jimmy Butler and DJO were culture guys albeit for only three years.  Markus Howard was definitely a culture guy.  An All-American.

People are acting like we have to sacrifice significant quality for culture guys.  Nova hasn't.  Baylor hasn't.  Virginia hasn't.  Marquette doesn't either.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #1295 on: April 22, 2022, 12:38:47 PM »

Why are we equating culture with lack of basketball ability?

The Amigos were culture guys.  Jimmy Butler and DJO were culture guys albeit for only three years.  Markus Howard was definitely a culture guy.  An All-American.

People are acting like we have to sacrifice significant quality for culture guys.  Nova hasn't.  Baylor hasn't.  Virginia hasn't.  Marquette doesn't either.

Some people are trying to use "culture" as reasons not to go after blue chip talent.  If a player is a good cultural fit and a blue chip talent, that's great, but immediately dismissing blue chip talent because of a "culture" issue is a mistake IMO.  Bates may not be a good cultural fit, but if we had a legitimate shot at landing him, I would want Shaka to be going all out regardless.   

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1296 on: April 22, 2022, 12:39:14 PM »

Sure, but other people are acting like culture is more important than talent (Kolek example).  I think that's a ridiculous assertion in the world that Shaka is living.  He has to be going for talent, just not at the expense of team chemistry.  And c'mon there aren't that many players that are "bad seeds" - let's not start acting like Wisconsin fans that didn't want a recruit because "supposedly" he couldn't hack it academically.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #1297 on: April 22, 2022, 12:47:58 PM »
Bates may not be a good cultural fit, but if we had a legitimate shot at landing him, I would want Shaka to be going all out regardless.   

I don't.  If he isn't a good cultural fit, it's just not going to work regardless of the talent.

That being said, I don't think that means all blue chip talent aren't good cultural fits. 

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #1298 on: April 22, 2022, 12:54:10 PM »

That's the point. Bates doesn't care about winning first. He wants to get out of college as soon as possible, which is fine, just not for Marquette.

There will be one and done's and 1 year guys that fit what Shaka is looking for but Bates isn't remotely close to it. An offensive minded guy with no defensive potential who wants to do nothing but score (at a 38% clip). Kolek may have shot 32% but scoring wasn't what he was asked to do last season. He was literally the only PG the team had.

The same people that complain Oso and Kur are "too skinny" want a guy who's even skinnier and weaker because he has a couple of stars next to his name.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 12:56:22 PM by GoldenEagles03 »
VIOLENCE!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1299 on: April 22, 2022, 12:55:34 PM »
A high usage, low efficiency player that will be gone in a year is not the culture Shaka is going for.

Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

Yeah, good thing we're not bringing in one-year players. (Please ignore that Zach Wrightsil in the corner).

feedback