[Today at 08:16:25 AM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[April 26, 2024, 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[April 26, 2024, 07:48:11 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[April 26, 2024, 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2022 Transfer Portal Thread  (Read 219443 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: 2022 Transfer Portal Thread
« Reply #1325 on: April 22, 2022, 02:55:21 PM »
In 2023. When guys that have been here will be juniors and seniors.

Shaka didn't go after Baldwin in his own back yard. Didn't go after Bates. Will he go after those guys? I'm sure. Eventually. I think we'll see some next year and more in the years after that. But not until after the "all culture the first two years" is established on the roster.

He is literally telling us the plan and you say he's ignoring it because we can't afford Bates? Please. We had a donor drop $6M in a day to get rid of Wojo. If it was that imperative we add a guy, Marquette would at least reach out then see if the donors would come through.

We aren't going for Bates because the staff doesn't want him. Period.
The Master plan does not include Bates. There is concern he would jerk us around and leave prematurely .
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1326 on: April 22, 2022, 02:58:07 PM »
Have I not admitted this literally every time I say that we won't get Bates?  Coaches target players, and players target coaches/programs.  Shaka knows he isn't at the type of program that would attract Bates so he isn't going to waste his time trying, no matter how talented Bates is.  I feel like I've been incredibly consistent in saying this, and if people still aren't getting it, then maybe my posts are being misinterpreted.

Okay I will rephrase. Do you think that talent and likelihood that the player will be interested are the only two factors coaches should look at when recruiting a player? If the answer is no, then you have to admit there are situations when a coach isn't going to be interested in a player even if he is immensely talented and interested in playing for your university. If the answer is yes then I don't know what to tell you.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #1327 on: April 22, 2022, 03:06:38 PM »
Okay I will rephrase. Do you think that talent and likelihood that the player will be interested are the only two factors coaches should look at when recruiting a player? If the answer is no, then you have to admit there are situations when a coach isn't going to be interested in a player even if he is immensely talented and interested in playing for your university. If the answer is yes then I don't know what to tell you.

I don't think they're the only two, but I think that they're two of the largest if not the two largest, talent being number 1, and odds that you can actually land said player being number two.  Other factors would include roster construct (why we all knew there would be no reaching out to a Ramey, and why we're still potentially in the market for a big), or playstyle (as much as it pains me to say, there have been some incredibly talented bigs that have gone through UW-Madison, and despite their talent, none of them have really resonated with the play style that we were running with at the time).

Everybody seems to be in agreement that we're not getting Bates, the differences seem to lie in the reasons why we're not getting him.  All I'm trying to get across the board is that "culture" is a pretty thin excuse, and $$$ is a much more plausible one, especially considering the circumstances that have surrounded Bates.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #1328 on: April 22, 2022, 03:26:22 PM »
You realize that this stuff now happens above board and falls within the rules - at least the gray area.
but when Self paid the playas, it was illegal. Fry ‘em!

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1329 on: April 22, 2022, 03:30:05 PM »
but when Self paid the playas, it was illegal. Fry ‘em!

It's just not happening.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1330 on: April 22, 2022, 03:40:01 PM »
I don't think they're the only two, but I think that they're two of the largest if not the two largest, talent being number 1, and odds that you can actually land said player being number two.  Other factors would include roster construct (why we all knew there would be no reaching out to a Ramey, and why we're still potentially in the market for a big), or playstyle (as much as it pains me to say, there have been some incredibly talented bigs that have gone through UW-Madison, and despite their talent, none of them have really resonated with the play style that we were running with at the time).

Everybody seems to be in agreement that we're not getting Bates, the differences seem to lie in the reasons why we're not getting him.  All I'm trying to get across the board is that "culture" is a pretty thin excuse, and $$$ is a much more plausible one, especially considering the circumstances that have surrounded Bates.

I think if "likelihood of landing them" is top 2 on your coach's list, you have the wrong coach. I also think if you asked Shaka if culture comes before or after talent, he would tell you before. There are plenty of talented players who fit the culture. You don't need to compromise. I don't understand where this idea that culture and talent are mutually exclusive is coming from.
TAMU

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1331 on: April 22, 2022, 03:48:08 PM »
It was known since Feb 2021 that Baldwin was going to go play for his dad

Except right after Shaka took over, local coaches were pushing the "Shaka will hire Baldwin as his assistant and PBJ will follow." This was when it was unsure if Baldwin Senior would be back at UWM.

It was pretty obvious at the time those rumors were coming from PBS and Curro. But Marquette never even sniffed the bait.

And while you keep calling it coach speak, the guys he's brought in and continues to recruit indicate it's more than that and you're just refusing to acknowledge the reality in front of you.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 03:49:53 PM by brewcity77 »
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #1332 on: April 22, 2022, 03:52:32 PM »
I think if "likelihood of landing them" is top 2 on your coach's list, you have the wrong coach. I also think if you asked Shaka if culture comes before or after talent, he would tell you before. There are plenty of talented players who fit the culture. You don't need to compromise. I don't understand where this idea that culture and talent are mutually exclusive is coming from.

I think ability to identify "realistic" targets is incredibly important.  How many times did Wojo swing for the fences, only to strike out? Grimes, Mannion, DaRon Holmes, Kendall Brown, Carton (the first time), Cassius Winston etc.

I have no doubt that there are talented kids that also have the right cultural fit.  I have no doubt that there are future lottery picks that fit the cultural style that Shaka is looking for.  I have no doubt that they're going to Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, UCLA, G-League etc.  I have no doubt that Shaka knows this too, and that's why he's not wasting his time recruiting them. 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1333 on: April 22, 2022, 03:55:51 PM »

TAMU ... you're absolutely correct that there may be reasons beyond ability and interest for Marquette or any other program to not recruit a particular player.
But all too often around here, we're seeing the culture trope being trotted out as an excuse or rationalization for not pursuing a highly ranked/sought player.

I'm OK with MU not pursuing Bates for a whole host of reasons ... NIL expectations, scheme fit, roster needs, whatever. But saying he would be bad for the culture because he wants to get to the NBA as soon as possible (like virtually all players for whom its an option) or making up nonsense about his commitment to winning? That's asinine.
Before heading to Memphis, Bates was committed to Michigan State for a long time. Now he's hearing from Kansas, Arkansas, Butler and Michigan, among others.
Are we to believe that Shaka is creating such a unique, paradigm-altering basketball culture that a kid who could fit in at a Bill Self or Eric Musselman program would be a bad fit at Marquette? Say what you want about Self, but he builds smart, tough, disciplined teams, often with players who stick around 3-4 years. If Shaka doesn't want kids who would fit at Kansas, we hired the wrong guy.
Better yet are we to believe that Tom Izzo and Thad Matta would bring into their program selfish, me-first players who don't care about defense and aren't fully committed to winning? Because that's how one poster here in particular is playing it, and it's complete nonsense.

Just seems like culture is being used here the way some Badger fans use "Bo cooled on him" and "he couldn't handle the academics."

Its DJOver

• All American
« Reply #1334 on: April 22, 2022, 03:59:00 PM »
Except right after Shaka took over, local coaches were pushing the "Shaka will hire Baldwin as his assistant and PBJ will follow." This was when it was unsure if Baldwin Senior would be back at UWM.

It was pretty obvious at the time those rumors were coming from PBS and Curro. But Marquette never even sniffed the bait.

And while you keep calling it coach speak, the guys he's brought in and continues to recruit indicate it's more than that and you're just refusing to acknowledge the reality in front of you.

You just keep on shoehorning it however you want so you can fit it into your narrative.  I'd bet that I can find an interview with Self or Cal where they just sit there and talk about culture too.  Why you continue to be so hung up on it is confusing.

Edit:

This is really kind of pointless at the juncture.  As Pak, TAMU and I have all pointed out, there are a number of reason to either recruit or not recruit a player.  Unless either of us is talking to Shaka, every time there is a new offer or commit, you're going to be able to throw out the "oh, well he's a good cultural fit" narrative, and probably not technically be wrong, and I'll be able to throw out the "he's a talented player", or "he's a realistic option at this point", and probably not technically be wrong.  Why do you seem to be so hung up on one of the many factors that go into recruiting?
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 04:08:44 PM by Its DJOver »

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #1335 on: April 22, 2022, 03:59:36 PM »
Better yet are we to believe that Tom Izzo and Thad Matta would bring into their program selfish, me-first players who don't care about defense and aren't fully committed to winning? Because that's how one poster here in particular is playing it, and it's complete nonsense.

Well, Tom Izzo did bring in The Letter Writer...
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1336 on: April 22, 2022, 04:13:06 PM »
Very concerned we got the wrong guy as coach if some of what is being said here is true.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1337 on: April 22, 2022, 04:19:37 PM »
TAMU ... you're absolutely correct that there may be reasons beyond ability and interest for Marquette or any other program to not recruit a particular player.
But all too often around here, we're seeing the culture trope being trotted out as an excuse or rationalization for not pursuing a highly ranked/sought player.

I'm OK with MU not pursuing Bates for a whole host of reasons ... NIL expectations, scheme fit, roster needs, whatever. But saying he would be bad for the culture because he wants to get to the NBA as soon as possible (like virtually all players for whom its an option) or making up nonsense about his commitment to winning? That's asinine.
Before heading to Memphis, Bates was committed to Michigan State for a long time. Now he's hearing from Kansas, Arkansas, Butler and Michigan, among others.
Are we to believe that Shaka is creating such a unique, paradigm-altering basketball culture that a kid who could fit in at a Bill Self or Eric Musselman program would be a bad fit at Marquette? Say what you want about Self, but he builds smart, tough, disciplined teams, often with players who stick around 3-4 years. If Shaka doesn't want kids who would fit at Kansas, we hired the wrong guy.

Just seems like culture is being used here the way some Badger fans use "Bo cooled on him" and "he couldn't handle the academics."

Making up things about a recruits "commitment to winning" is wrong and asinine. I don't think Shaka is interested in one and dones at this point. He might be in the future, but so far he has yet to go after any player that is projected as a for sure one and done.

Shaka's culture isn't unique, lots of coaches take a similar approach. Other coaches take different approaches. Why that idea is so offensive to some, I don't understand.
TAMU

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1338 on: April 22, 2022, 04:59:40 PM »

Shaka's culture isn't unique, lots of coaches take a similar approach. Other coaches take different approaches. Why that idea is so offensive to some, I don't understand.

This.

It's like looking at what the staff does and listening to what the staff says is a personal affront to some here.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1339 on: April 22, 2022, 06:17:35 PM »
Every player in The Transfer Portal listed by Conference. Also shows those that have committed to new schools.

https://watchstadium.com/every-player-in-the-2022-college-basketball-transfer-portal-04-21-2022/
            ---Al McGuire

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1340 on: April 22, 2022, 06:43:12 PM »
Making up things about a recruits "commitment to winning" is wrong and asinine. I don't think Shaka is interested in one and dones at this point. He might be in the future, but so far he has yet to go after any player that is projected as a for sure one and done.

Nobody is offended, TAMU.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2022, 06:50:34 PM by Pakuni »

RubyWiscy

• Team Captain
« Reply #1341 on: April 23, 2022, 03:36:36 PM »
I'm confused.  Kurth, Morsell and Wrightsil don't count as one-and-dones? What is the difference if it is a Freshman?

GoldenEagles03

• All American
« Reply #1342 on: April 23, 2022, 03:45:50 PM »
 ***BREAKING NEWS*** @LifeWallet is proud to announce @NijelPack24 has officially committed to UM as a basketball player.  The biggest LifeWallet deal to date, two years $800,000.00 total at $400,000.00 per year plus a car.  Congratulations!!!

Relating to Nijel Pack transferring to Miami.
VIOLENCE!

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #1343 on: April 23, 2022, 04:22:05 PM »
***BREAKING NEWS*** @LifeWallet is proud to announce @NijelPack24 has officially committed to UM as a basketball player.  The biggest LifeWallet deal to date, two years $800,000.00 total at $400,000.00 per year plus a car.  Congratulations!!!

Ridiculous.  Looking forward to this happening to us as we're definitely not going to be doing it to other teams. 

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #1344 on: April 23, 2022, 04:23:28 PM »
I'm confused.  Kurth, Morsell and Wrightsil don't count as one-and-dones? What is the difference if it is a Freshman?
Sure, they are one and done in a manner.  But, bringing in vetted for fit 5th year guys is wildly different than bringing in a  recent HS grad with the NBA on his mind.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1345 on: April 23, 2022, 04:57:59 PM »

Worth noting that in Nijel’s two years at K State the team had a combined record of 23-37 ( 9-20 and 14-17)

Is it possible Nijel was more interested in putting up a stat line than winning ? Asking for a friend.
            ---Al McGuire

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1346 on: April 23, 2022, 06:03:24 PM »
Sure, they are one and done in a manner.  But, bringing in vetted for fit 5th year guys is wildly different than bringing in a  recent HS grad with the NBA on his mind.

Pretty much every player in a high major program has the NBA on his mind.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1347 on: April 23, 2022, 06:32:08 PM »
It will surprise no one to learn that Norberto Menendez, founder of Lifewallet, is a Miami alum.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #1348 on: April 23, 2022, 07:48:17 PM »
Bennett Vander Plas has committed to Virginia.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #1349 on: April 23, 2022, 08:04:43 PM »
Worth noting that in Nijel’s two years at K State the team had a combined record of 23-37 ( 9-20 and 14-17)

Is it possible Nijel was more interested in putting up a stat line than winning ? Asking for a friend.
His stats wouldn’t have hurt the team in any way. He has great numbers.

feedback