'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 03:24:20 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:13 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by BrewCity83
[Today at 03:23:55 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by tower912
[Today at 02:40:05 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Jay Bee
[Today at 02:05:40 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: 2023 Coaching Carousel  (Read 95093 times)

warriorchick

• All American
Re: 2022 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #650 on: June 20, 2022, 11:23:16 AM »
Scoop loses its crap over most things.  It’s not really an indicator of rational behavior.

This. If our standard for appropriate coach behavior is the way Scoopers act, then God help us all.
Have some patience, FFS.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #651 on: June 20, 2022, 11:47:00 AM »
End of the day if MU finished the season as Texas A&M did, Scoop would have been in complete and total meltdown over not being selected.  It's odd that an end of season tournament to decide the National Champion discounts and no longer factors how a team finishes the year, yet assings value to who/how they schedule during non-con at the beginning of the year. 

Scoopers whined about the end of season meltdowns under Wojo, and how we limped to the finish last year - all of which led to getting blown out in Round1 of the NCAA.  Imagine how Scoop would feel if we went on an end of season run like A&M did and you see a team like Rutgers limp in losing 4 of their last 6 and having losses against 103, 323, and 185 teams during Non-Con.

Elon,  I understand where you are coming from.  Many here would argue inclusion like Buzz but would still be mostly wrong. 

I think that it was a way over the top impassioned plea for being one of the last teams in the tournament and that’s what makes it laughable.  Especially when he or his team could have done something more about it over the rest of the 95% of the season.

Again, I like Buzz and can see the argument his way but wow he looked stupid for writing that dissertation in many peoples eyes.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #652 on: June 20, 2022, 11:55:58 AM »
End of the day if MU finished the season as Texas A&M did, Scoop would have been in complete and total meltdown over not being selected.  It's odd that an end of season tournament to decide the National Champion discounts and no longer factors how a team finishes the year, yet assings value to who/how they schedule during non-con at the beginning of the year. 

Scoopers whined about the end of season meltdowns under Wojo, and how we limped to the finish last year - all of which led to getting blown out in Round1 of the NCAA.  Imagine how Scoop would feel if we went on an end of season run like A&M did and you see a team like Rutgers limp in losing 4 of their last 6 and having losses against 103, 323, and 185 teams during Non-Con.

While I have always found it odd that the selection committee doesn't weight conference tournaments as heavily as the rest of the season, it is something they have been consistent on for years.

I would have been upset but my wrath would have gone towards us for scheduling a charmin soft non-con and not winning more during the regular season. I also would have found Buzz' whining to be cringeworthy.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #653 on: June 20, 2022, 12:20:32 PM »

I've explained it in the past, but the "last 10 games" metric is dumb and should not be included. It doesn't matter how you finish because you cannot fairly measure that against everyone else. It is not and should not be part of the discussion. The Selection Committee gets that part right.

And how Scoop feels is irrelevant. We're biased fans. I was biased in Buzz's favor when he was here. Now that I've seen him roll out the same schtick and charade elsewhere, it gets a bit tiring. And this is the height of tiring.

Regardless, this isn't about personal opinions of Buzz, this isn't about if Rutgers deserved to be in ahead of TAMU (they didn't, but SMU should've been in ahead of both of them), and it isn't about the selection criteria. It's about Buzz being a whiner. It's about him not understanding the process or criteria of NCAA selection (probably not a good quality for a NCAA head coach).

Buzz came up short because his team wasn't good enough in conference play (8 game losing streak) to overcome his piss-poor scheduling (8 buy games) in non-conference play. And rather than own up to his responsibility for that (it is 100% his fault, he's been doing this same BS scheduling for years) he tries to pawn it off on someone else.

Compare A&M's non-con schedule to our own:

• Texas A&M: 13 games, 5 high major, , 3 top-100 NET, 8 buy games
  • Marquette: 11 games, 6 high major, 6 top-100 NET, 4 buy games
We played more high-majors and more top teams despite playing fewer overall games. Maybe instead of 8 buy games, he should've called other high-majors, or even reached out to a Loyola-Chicago, SMU, or San Francisco, all of whom would fall all over themselves to get a neutral or home-and-home with TAMU. But Buzz doesn't schedule like that. He has always scheduled like a coward. I don't know why, but I do know that the reason his team was in position to be left out is not because of what they did do, but because of what they didn't do, both on the phones in April and on the court from November through February.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

IrwinFletcher

• All American
« Reply #654 on: June 20, 2022, 01:38:25 PM »
Buzz now making some changes.  They have scheduled a home-and-home with the DePaul Blue Demons.

jfp61

• All American
« Reply #655 on: June 20, 2022, 02:06:13 PM »
Buzz now making some changes.  They have scheduled a home-and-home with the DePaul Blue Demons.

I see no changes   

( wake up in the morning and I ask myself)

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #656 on: June 20, 2022, 07:44:33 PM »
It takes a lot of guts to schedule The Sleeping Giant.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #657 on: June 20, 2022, 08:22:20 PM »
It takes a lot of guts to schedule The Sleeping Giant.

They beat us pretty much every year - in the mid to recent past anyway.

Shooter McGavin

• All American
« Reply #658 on: June 20, 2022, 08:34:11 PM »

Thanks for the reality check Lenny. Do you play the role of wet blanket off scoop as well?

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #659 on: June 20, 2022, 08:34:18 PM »

Lol. Leave it to Lenny’s to defend Buzz for scheduling DePaul…
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #660 on: June 20, 2022, 09:11:49 PM »

Buzz hunting those Quad 3 wins.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #661 on: June 20, 2022, 11:54:18 PM »
Without protest there is no change.  Buzz was standing up for what he believed in, for what he felt was wrong, for future change.

I know one Scooper who whined so much about how horrible Buzz was during the 2013-14 season that he received a long Scoopcation.

Not sure why you give 2 shytes about TAMU's program -- and a coach you ripped mercilessly for most of a year ... but it was Buzz's fault, and Buzz's fault alone, that TAMU didn't make the tournament last season.

Win another game or 2 and/or don't schedule like a low-major, and you make the tourney. Period. Stop the effen whining.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #662 on: June 22, 2022, 07:57:17 AM »
I know one Scooper who whined so much about how horrible Buzz was during the 2013-14 season that he received a long Scoopcation.

Not sure why you give 2 shytes about TAMU's program -- and a coach you ripped mercilessly for most of a year ... but it was Buzz's fault, and Buzz's fault alone, that TAMU didn't make the tournament last season.

Win another game or 2 and/or don't schedule like a low-major, and you make the tourney. Period. Stop the effen whining.
Shouldn't this guy have the final say?
https://kenpom.com/

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #663 on: June 22, 2022, 02:37:51 PM »
I see no changes   

( wake up in the morning and I ask myself)

Is life worth living, should I blast myself?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #665 on: July 08, 2022, 07:04:35 AM »
Rod Strickland new LIU coach

https://collegebasketball.ap.org/LeaderTelegram/article/former-nba-pg-rod-strickland-hired-liu-basketball-coach
He was a very good to great NBA player. This could be a sneaky good hire. I like it for LIU.

Viper

• All American
« Reply #666 on: July 08, 2022, 07:47:53 AM »
He was a very good to great NBA player. This could be a sneaky good hire. I like it for LIU.
great at DePaul. Not a great nba player, however, but did play in 3 decades for 9 teams averaging 13/7. Should stir the pot in NYC recruiting.
Moron? Maybe. Dork? Possibly. Lost? Definitely.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #667 on: July 08, 2022, 07:52:40 AM »
great at DePaul. Not a great nba player, however, but did play in 3 decades for 9 teams averaging 13/7. Should stir the pot in NYC recruiting.

They’ll probably be better than St. John’s
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #668 on: December 12, 2022, 09:00:40 AM »
Bump

TallTitan34

• All American
  • Gold N. Eagle (Ret.), Two Time SI Cover Model
    • Marquette Overload
« Reply #669 on: December 12, 2022, 09:01:23 AM »
Assuming the Texas job opens up, we could have some big changes coming.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #670 on: December 12, 2022, 09:02:06 AM »
Jay Wright to Texas.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #671 on: December 12, 2022, 09:02:49 AM »
Shaka to Texas  ;)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #672 on: December 12, 2022, 09:31:00 AM »
Joe Golding to Texas.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #673 on: December 12, 2022, 09:34:42 AM »
Chris Beard once lit up his walk ons for dunking.  Dude sucks.  Buzz to Texas. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #674 on: December 12, 2022, 09:48:27 AM »
Beard is a really, really good coach but he’s wound awfully tight. Sounds like a man in serious need of help. Prayers (and maybe an order of protection) for his family.