[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2023 Coaching Carousel  (Read 105073 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Warrior Code

• All American
  • Undefeated since 1960
Re: 2022 Coaching Carousel
« Reply #601 on: April 06, 2022, 07:56:32 AM »
Not sure Mulaney will be on board...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiqKK4ysI7g

I love this bit.

YOU SPENT IT ALREADY?!
Signature:
Signatures are displayed at the bottom of each post or personal message. BBCode and smileys may be used in your signature.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #602 on: April 06, 2022, 09:17:07 AM »
Shoot, all they have to do is hit up their famous Irish comedian alumni.  Have Jim Gaffigan and John Mulaney split it.  Easy Peasy.

You forgot Nick Kroll, whose dad I believe is a billionaire.
We Are Marquette

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #603 on: April 06, 2022, 10:08:02 AM »

He is, but I respect the way he made it. :)

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #604 on: April 06, 2022, 12:44:16 PM »

I'm distantly related to Nick Kroll by marriage, and am expecting my windfall very soon. 

On the topic of Georgetown alums and buyouts, I wonder what the alum engagement in the bball program is like compared to a school like MU?  Obviously they've had a lot of success over their program's history, but I get the sense that basketball may be of much less importance to the school's national relevance, so the donations of wealthy alums go elsewhere.  And, as others have said, Ewing was king to many of their alumni that do care about the bball program, particularly those at an age where multi-million dollar donations are possible.  Paying to get rid of someone you idolized is a lot different than paying to get rid of an outsider you never really liked to begin with.

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #605 on: April 06, 2022, 02:49:51 PM »
I'm distantly related to Nick Kroll by marriage, and am expecting my windfall very soon. 

On the topic of Georgetown alums and buyouts, I wonder what the alum engagement in the bball program is like compared to a school like MU?  Obviously they've had a lot of success over their program's history, but I get the sense that basketball may be of much less importance to the school's national relevance, so the donations of wealthy alums go elsewhere.  And, as others have said, Ewing was king to many of their alumni that do care about the bball program, particularly those at an age where multi-million dollar donations are possible.  Paying to get rid of someone you idolized is a lot different than paying to get rid of an outsider you never really liked to begin with.

There’s a strange disengagement about hoops with Georgetown alumns. Unless they’re winning. But losing just elicits s shrug. At least the ones I know who otherwise are big sports fans.
We Are Marquette

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #606 on: April 06, 2022, 05:03:56 PM »
Steve Lavin your new USD head coach.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
            ---Al McGuire

Avenue Commons

• All American
« Reply #608 on: April 06, 2022, 08:24:56 PM »
Interesting thing about Lavin is he didn’t coach between 2003-2010 and 2015 and the USD gig in 2022 if I’m reading into this correctly.

Coaching career (HC unless noted)
1988–1991
Purdue (assistant)
1991–1996
UCLA (assistant)
1996–2003
UCLA
2010–2015
St. John's
2022–present
San Diego
Head coaching record
Overall
226–133
We Are Marquette

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #609 on: April 06, 2022, 08:28:08 PM »

This is a good question on many levels.

Georgetown isn't a "basketball school" in the way it might be at MU or Creighton. For a number of years, in some ways which were subtle and in ways less so, Georgetown has steered its public image away from basketball---not as a result of scandal or revolt, but more towards benign indifference. You can visit georgetown.edu and struggle to find any athletics imagery on the site. The archetypal Georgetown student of 2022 is multicultural, a polyglot, and someone looking to solve the world's problems through think tanks and consulting firms, not through the NBA, e.g., the next Jen Psaki as opposed to the next Mac McClung. Those of us who spent our college years yelling at refs and discovering kegs inside the perimeter of the gym aren't the message it wants to send today.

To that point, athletics has a different feel at GU than other Big East schools. Basketball has never been part of the alumni DNA because John Thompson kept his distance from them and because John did it, his predecessors inevitably follow. You won't see coaches at alumni gatherings and even former players are a rarity. As such, alumni giving directed at basketball is far less than what you would expect, outside of the declining season ticket base, and even alumni of the 1980's aren't riding the Ewing train. His biggest supporters exist not with alumni but within a University which is adverse to change of any kind--Georgetown has had only three university presidents since 1976, just four head football coaches, and just four head basketball coaches. There's an entire column on this which I won't restate, but this quote is important: "Candor is not easy at a University where the power of the bureaucracy falls somewhere between the Pentagon and the Roman Curia, a culture that prefers [talk about Ewing] kept out of public consumption and handled "in the family". But it's no longer enough to assume that this approach is the only way forward. It's also not enough to run a major college program on a business model created in 1972."

Finally, there is this factor: today's Georgetown students have no culture of winning. It hasn't been ranked in the Top 25 or won a post-season game (NCAA or NIT) in seven years, and has won a total of two NCAA and one NIT tournament game since 2008. Much like the nearby Washington Redskins/Commanders (who haven't sniffed the NFC championship game since 1991), you can only sell the past so long until students lose interest altogether.

Georgetown doesn't want to be DePaul but they keep kicking the can on Ewing. All it does is delay the rebuild, but therein lies the problem--some at the University don't see need for a rebuild because, well, it's only basketball.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 08:46:46 PM by DFW HOYA »

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #610 on: April 06, 2022, 08:28:28 PM »
Lavin is St. John’s most successful post Carnesseca coach by winning percentage.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #611 on: April 06, 2022, 09:13:36 PM »
This is a good question on many levels.

Georgetown isn't a "basketball school" in the way it might be at MU or Creighton. For a number of years, in some ways which were subtle and in ways less so, Georgetown has steered its public image away from basketball---not as a result of scandal or revolt, but more towards benign indifference. You can visit georgetown.edu and struggle to find any athletics imagery on the site. The archetypal Georgetown student of 2022 is multicultural, a polyglot, and someone looking to solve the world's problems through think tanks and consulting firms, not through the NBA, e.g., the next Jen Psaki as opposed to the next Mac McClung. Those of us who spent our college years yelling at refs and discovering kegs inside the perimeter of the gym aren't the message it wants to send today.

I think this is an interesting perspective on the situation at Georgetown and not far off from the point I tried to make a few months back:
My perception is that over the last 40 years, the student body has slowly transitioned from students happy for a traditional college experience (and excited over a top-level basketball program) into a pre-professional development program for those looking to change the world through government, associations, and NGOs.  And for that type of student, there is far too much relevant experience to be gained in DC and doesn't leave time to get all that into the basketball program.

I think it's that the type of student that represents Georgetown today simply doesn't care about athletics.  For too many students, when it comes down to whether you want to head to watch the Hoyas take on Providence or Creighton, or go listen to a speech from some climate activist on how to mobilize global action, the speech is going to win out every single time.

My comment was not well received here at the time--if only I called the student body polyglots instead of pre-professionals.  ;)

I also thought this was an interesting comment, but I had a different conclusion.:
Georgetown doesn't want to be DePaul but they keep kicking the can on Ewing.

Specifically, on this point, I think you've got the wrong Chicago school as the comparable. Certainly, they don't want to be DePaul, but I'd suggest they wouldn't mind Northwestern. And I would bet there are more than a few in positions of power that would be happy if Georgetown went the University of Chicago route.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #612 on: April 06, 2022, 09:20:27 PM »
Lavin is St. John’s most successful post Carnesseca coach by winning percentage.
I never understood why they canned him
            ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #613 on: April 06, 2022, 11:09:21 PM »
My comment was not well received here at the time--if only I called the student body polyglots instead of pre-professionals.  ;)

DFW was one of the ones who didn't receive your comment well

Not buying it. It's closest admissions peer is Duke--how's that pre-professional student body doing with athletics?

Give people a good product and students will respond. Georgetown students ringed the soccer field three deep for NCAA playoff games this fall and helped charter buses to Cary, NC for the semifinals. Could they do better? Sure. Football is under-supported and women's basketball is only a rumor to most students. Baseball? Forget it.

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Skip Intro

• Team Captain
« Reply #614 on: April 07, 2022, 08:57:37 AM »

I also thought this was an interesting comment, but I had a different conclusion.:
Specifically, on this point, I think you've got the wrong Chicago school as the comparable. Certainly, they don't want to be DePaul, but I'd suggest they wouldn't mind Northwestern. And I would bet there are more than a few in positions of power that would be happy if Georgetown went the University of Chicago route.

Northwestern is a good comp for Georgetown.  Their fortunes as an institution definitely don't rely heavily on athletic success.  They're elite academically, so the enrollment and the money will always be there.  On the other hand, schools like MU, Creighton, Xavier, Butler, Gonzaga, etc. see their fortunes rise and fall based on basketball alone, so that's where they invest.  I think that we expect Georgetown to emerge from the BE basement, but I'm not sure that it will actually happen, and there may not be an urgency for it to happen. 

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #615 on: April 07, 2022, 09:05:04 AM »
Was Lavin's studio work for fox sports based out of NY or LA?  Just curious how much of a geographic move the SD job is for him.  He's from San Francisco, and obviously has his experience at UCLA, so he's familiar with the area and SD is great.  Wonder what, if any, recruiting connections he has these days. 

I also wonder if this will open up studio time for Crean.  Lavin was on a ton for fox sports, and Crean would seemingly be able to fill a lot of that coach analyst role pretty seamlessly.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #616 on: April 07, 2022, 09:28:09 AM »
Was Lavin's studio work for fox sports based out of NY or LA?  Just curious how much of a geographic move the SD job is for him.  He's from San Francisco, and obviously has his experience at UCLA, so he's familiar with the area and SD is great.  Wonder what, if any, recruiting connections he has these days. 

I also wonder if this will open up studio time for Crean.  Lavin was on a ton for fox sports, and Crean would seemingly be able to fill a lot of that coach analyst role pretty seamlessly.

I thought he was in the LA studio for the Big East games unless he was calling the game.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 04:10:12 PM by MU Fan in Connecticut »

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #617 on: April 07, 2022, 10:36:42 AM »
DFW was one of the ones who didn't receive your comment well

Ha--I wasn't going to call him out on the change of opinion! Maybe it really was referring to the student body as  "pre-professional" as opposed to "polyglots."

Mr. Nielsen

• All American
  • Facts don't care about your feelings!
« Reply #618 on: April 07, 2022, 03:20:16 PM »
Was Lavin's studio work for fox sports based out of NY or LA? 
FOX Sports is out of LA.
If we are all thinking alike, we're not thinking at all. It's OK to disagree. Just don't be disagreeable.
-Bill Walton

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #619 on: April 11, 2022, 06:40:37 PM »
St. Peters gets a replacement for Shaheen. Bashir Mason, Head Coach at Wagner.

https://nypost.com/2022/04/11/saint-peters-hiring-bashir-mason-as-new-coach/
            ---Al McGuire

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #620 on: April 11, 2022, 09:41:37 PM »
St. Peters gets a replacement for Shaheen. Bashir Mason, Head Coach at Wagner.

https://nypost.com/2022/04/11/saint-peters-hiring-bashir-mason-as-new-coach/

That's a heck of a poach as far as these schools' hires go.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #621 on: May 06, 2022, 01:58:44 PM »
Evansville Coach Todd Lickliter canned by new AD.

Article lists Crean among rumored successors …….🤓

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/butler/2022/05/05/evansville-basketball-fires-todd-lickliter-butlers-david-ragland-target/9663239002/
            ---Al McGuire

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #622 on: May 06, 2022, 02:17:19 PM »
Crean sucks
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #623 on: May 08, 2022, 02:53:23 PM »
I never understood why they canned him

Lav had lost some passion after the cancer and his dad’s death, and his contract was up. Then a new President came aboard and fell in love with the idea of the greatest player in school history (and local dude) running the show. Thought Mullin could do even better. That President is gone now, particularly after how he and the school’s General Counsel ran their own coaching search after Mullin was pushed out.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #624 on: May 09, 2022, 07:51:39 AM »
Lav had lost some passion after the cancer and his dad’s death, and his contract was up. Then a new President came aboard and fell in love with the idea of the greatest player in school history (and local dude) running the show. Thought Mullin could do even better. That President is gone now, particularly after how he and the school’s General Counsel ran their own coaching search after Mullin was pushed out.

Lavin has been a class act on Fox. I'm happy for him that he got another chance at coaching at San Diego.

I loved his sense of humor at Fox. After he congratulated a coach on winning some big games, the coach returned the compliment and said something like "C'mon Lav. You've had some big wins too." Lavin responded quickly with "Not often enough! That's why I'm here."

After Lavin strongly criticized Howard's actions after the Wisconsin game, his colleagues played an old tape of a coach getting tossed. It was young Coach Lavin. He laughed along with them and added that he was not at all proud of getting tossed.

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.