[Today at 12:21:14 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Spotcheck Billy
[Today at 11:11:22 AM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 11:00:09 AM]

Banquet by muwarrior69
[Today at 08:43:40 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2021-22 Big East Conference Results  (Read 215873 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: 2021-22 Big East Conference Results
« Reply #1350 on: February 10, 2022, 04:37:03 PM »
There's a perspective that's missing from the article, and that's the question of whether anyone currently at Georgetown cares about Georgetown basketball. 

I don't think the issue behind the current lack of interest in Georgetown is simply too few wins.

My perception is that over the last 40 years, the student body has slowly transitioned from students happy for a traditional college experience (and excited over a top-level basketball program) into a pre-professional development program for those looking to change the world through government, associations, and NGOs.  And for that type of student, there is far too much relevant experience to be gained in DC and doesn't leave time to get all that into the basketball program.

I think it's that the type of student that represents Georgetown today simply doesn't care about athletics.  For too many students, when it comes down to whether you want to head to watch the Hoyas take on Providence or Creighton, or go listen to a speech from some climate activist on how to mobilize global action, the speech is going to win out every single time.

Can Georgetown (the basketball program) succeed in an environment where their primary audience is no longer primarily Georgetown University students? It's a challenging problem when your audience consists of the GU equivalent of sweater vests, reliving 30 and 40-year-old successes and casual basketball fans with no connection to the academic side of the organization.

Uh, what?  Georgetown is probably the biggest sleeping giant on the East Coast. 

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1351 on: February 10, 2022, 07:33:30 PM »
So...promote Ewing to "Athletic Director of Men's Basketball" at GTown?  Give him the rest of his contract there and let him help pick the new coach.  "Retire" after a few years.

Spaniel with a Short Tail

• All American
« Reply #1352 on: February 10, 2022, 08:10:37 PM »

Can Georgetown (the basketball program) succeed in an environment where their primary audience is no longer primarily Georgetown University students? It's a challenging problem when your audience consists of the GU equivalent of sweater vests, reliving 30 and 40-year-old successes and casual basketball fans with no connection to the academic side of the organization.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #1353 on: February 10, 2022, 08:20:48 PM »
There's a perspective that's missing from the article, and that's the question of whether anyone currently at Georgetown cares about Georgetown basketball. 

I don't think the issue behind the current lack of interest in Georgetown is simply too few wins.

My perception is that over the last 40 years, the student body has slowly transitioned from students happy for a traditional college experience (and excited over a top-level basketball program) into a pre-professional development program for those looking to change the world through government, associations, and NGOs.  And for that type of student, there is far too much relevant experience to be gained in DC and doesn't leave time to get all that into the basketball program.

I think it's that the type of student that represents Georgetown today simply doesn't care about athletics.  For too many students, when it comes down to whether you want to head to watch the Hoyas take on Providence or Creighton, or go listen to a speech from some climate activist on how to mobilize global action, the speech is going to win out every single time.

With all due respect, this is lunacy.  I know a handful of 22-35 year old alums and most of them care greatly.  One is a buddy of mine who specifically transferred to Georgetown as a Junior to be closer to DC politics and worked basically full time as an aide for Congressman while going to school.  He’s a hotshot lobbyist and jetsets but still goes to 7-8 games a year.  Another works for an NGO in Europe and still would tweet/post angrily about Ewing up until this year.

Has Georgetown as a college changed? Yea probably.  But it’s still one of the biggest brands in college basketball with tons of prestige and still a major part of Georgetown’s identity. Especially for undergrads

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1354 on: February 10, 2022, 08:26:18 PM »

The basketball program doesn’t stink because the students don’t care.

The students don’t care because the basketball program stinks.

Don’t make this more complicated than it is.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1355 on: February 10, 2022, 08:41:44 PM »

From where do you derive any of this?

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 08:46:34 PM by Dr. Blackheart »

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1357 on: February 10, 2022, 08:44:58 PM »

This. When my daughter started in ‘17 she was really into it and went to a bunch of games that year. By her senior year (and now) she had lost all interest.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

DFW HOYA

• Team Captain
« Reply #1358 on: February 10, 2022, 08:52:00 PM »

Not buying it. It's closest admissions peer is Duke--how's that pre-professional student body doing with athletics?

Give people a good product and students will respond. Georgetown students ringed the soccer field three deep for NCAA playoff games this fall and helped charter buses to Cary, NC for the semifinals. Could they do better? Sure. Football is under-supported and women's basketball is only a rumor to most students. Baseball? Forget it.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 08:54:42 PM by DFW HOYA »

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #1359 on: February 10, 2022, 08:52:56 PM »
I thought I read somewhere that attendance at Georgetown football and soccer games has been going up while basketball attendance has been declining. If true, that would go against the idea that Georgetown students don't care about athletics anymore.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

LloydsLegs

• All American
« Reply #1360 on: February 10, 2022, 09:41:36 PM »

Don’t make this more complicated than it is.

Nailed it.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #1361 on: February 11, 2022, 08:23:38 PM »
I pounded X tonight.

Similar to Uconn against us. This was one they really needed to stop the bleeding.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #1362 on: February 11, 2022, 08:47:19 PM »
I thought I read somewhere that attendance at Georgetown football and soccer games has been going up while basketball attendance has been declining. If true, that would go against the idea that Georgetown students don't care about athletics anymore.

Football and soccer are played outdoors, providing students with an ideal backdrop to discuss climate change.

zcg2013

• Team Captain
« Reply #1363 on: February 11, 2022, 08:56:33 PM »
Uconn had two technical fouls with under 5 minutes in the game. One on Hurley (what a shocker) and one on Jackson for hitting the ball too high in the air after he didn't agree with a call.

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #1364 on: February 11, 2022, 11:01:26 PM »
From ESPN:

HURLEY HOT

The Huskies' head coach wasn't pleased with a few calls in the first half that led to early foul trouble for his team. Late in the second half, Hurley and Huskies guard Andre Jackson received technical fouls less than a minute apart.

"I see a lot of coaches in the ear of the officials, and I didn't think there was anything there that warranted a technical," Hurley said. "So I will be calling up our head of officials, because I want an explanation on that."

DoctorV

• All American
« Reply #1365 on: February 11, 2022, 11:03:28 PM »
Doosh

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1366 on: February 11, 2022, 11:17:00 PM »
Solid win for X over U Conn.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #1367 on: February 11, 2022, 11:52:01 PM »
I pounded X tonight.

This here is a PG site.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #1368 on: February 12, 2022, 07:05:01 AM »
Kudos to Xavier for providing a blueprint on how to handle UCONN. If we meet them in the BET, I hope we can draw fouls like X did. The 2 technicals made me laugh. So stupid! We need to run the table+ UCONN needs to lose one more game for us to secure the three seed for the BET. They have 3 upcoming home games vs. teams that can handle them- Nova, X and SH. I know that there are other possibilities (2 UCONN losses + 1 MU loss e.g.) but I think the one I show here is the most likely path to our being the 3 seed.

Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1369 on: February 12, 2022, 07:34:53 AM »
Well if the blueprint is getting their best two players in foul trouble all night, it's a tough one to duplicate.
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1370 on: February 12, 2022, 07:35:48 AM »
Well if the blueprint is getting their best two players in foul trouble all night, it's a tough one to duplicate.

Especially when you don't have a lot of slashers to draw fouls.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #1371 on: February 12, 2022, 07:44:04 AM »

True, but it helps. Xavier found the cracks in UCONN's defense, leading to success in the paint. They also outrebounded them.  And yeah, some of that was due to Cole and Sanogo sitting on the bench. No question.

Let's hope that at least one of UCONN's upcoming opponents can achieve similar results so we can perhaps secure the 3 seed. 
« Last Edit: February 12, 2022, 08:14:11 AM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1372 on: February 12, 2022, 08:37:03 AM »
Big game today for Creighton today against Georgetown. They can not afford to let their guard down.

The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #1373 on: February 12, 2022, 09:25:52 AM »
Big game today for Creighton today against Georgetown. They can not afford to let their guard down.

Georgetown is 291st in effective fg%.  Creighton can probably guard poorly and still win
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #1374 on: February 12, 2022, 12:04:36 PM »
Both Lavin and Casey Jacobson picked The Hall over Nova today. 

feedback