Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: The Loyola Project on CBS 4/2/22 1:00 Eastern  (Read 2039 times)

Scoop Snoop

• All American
The Loyola Project on CBS 4/2/22 1:00 Eastern
« on: April 02, 2022, 08:45:17 AM »
This program is scheduled in my area and hopefully in yours as well. It is about Loyola's 1963 championship team and how it brought Chicago together (at least in some ways) during the Civil Rights movement. I was just a kid then living in the Chicago burbs, but I remember how Loyola's run excited the entire Chicago area.
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

MuggsyB

• All American
Re: The Loyola Project on CBS 4/2/22 1:00 Eastern
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2022, 09:31:21 AM »
This program is scheduled in my area and hopefully in yours as well. It is about Loyola's 1963 championship team and how it brought Chicago together (at least in some ways) during the Civil Rights movement. I was just a kid then living in the Chicago burbs, but I remember how Loyola's run excited the entire Chicago area.

Ty Scoop Snoop.  Having watched a doc about that team a few years ago, I thought they deserved much more credit for their impact on college hoops.  Tex-Western was three years after Loyola-Chicago. 

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2022, 12:52:19 PM »
Great stuff Scoop Snoop!  That Loyola announcer was fantastic.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2022, 01:30:10 PM »
WOW! I expected a really good story, but this was phenomenal. Just a few highlights:

As a young teen, Jerry Harkness was practicing at the YMCA in Harlem. A man tapped him on the shoulder and said " Hey, you're pretty good!" He turned around and was shocked to see the man was his sports hero, Jackie Robinson.

The players themselves narrated most of the film. They described in detail the racism of the early 1960's, including letters sent by the KKK threatening their lives.

In the NC game, Harkness had not scored with 5 minutes left in regulation. Midway through the 2nd half, Loyola was down 15 and was struggling to close the gap. Harkness went to work and brought Loyola back, scoring again and again. They won the NC in OT. I remember seeing Harkness in the stands at Loyola's Final Four run in '18. His commentary in the film is unforgettable. Sadly, he passed away last year at the age of 81.

It was inspirational, educational, and very moving. I saw that the film was screened all over the country at college campuses and was at Marquette February 22.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2022, 01:32:43 PM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2022, 02:07:56 PM »
Does this dedicate most of the time to the true hero and real significance of the Loyola program, Sister Jean?

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2022, 02:27:43 PM »
Does this dedicate most of the time to the true hero and real significance of the Loyola program, Sister Jean?

There's just a short blip.  I'm not sure why anyone would have a problem with Sister Jean.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2022, 04:48:17 PM »
WOW! I expected a really good story, but this was phenomenal. Just a few highlights:

As a young teen, Jerry Harkness was practicing at the YMCA in Harlem. A man tapped him on the shoulder and said " Hey, you're pretty good!" He turned around and was shocked to see the man was his sports hero, Jackie Robinson.

The players themselves narrated most of the film. They described in detail the racism of the early 1960's, including letters sent by the KKK threatening their lives.

In the NC game, Harkness had not scored with 5 minutes left in regulation. Midway through the 2nd half, Loyola was down 15 and was struggling to close the gap. Harkness went to work and brought Loyola back, scoring again and again. They won the NC in OT. I remember seeing Harkness in the stands at Loyola's Final Four run in '18. His commentary in the film is unforgettable. Sadly, he passed away last year at the age of 81.

It was inspirational, educational, and very moving. I saw that the film was screened all over the country at college campuses and was at Marquette February 22.

All those guys are/were really good dudes s-scoop.  The doc I watched a few years ago shared those starters on Loyola were very successful off the court which was nice to hear.  It's truly a great story and  I didn't realize they were down 15 with like 12 mins to go and there was no shot clock.

feedback