'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: 2021-22 Big East Conference Results  (Read 215860 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: 2021-22 Big East Conference Results
« Reply #1325 on: February 10, 2022, 11:53:27 AM »
My guess is that they are hoping, praying, and betting that Ewing will come to them and say "we need to talk". Despite his record, firing Ewing would be a huge PR disaster so I think GT is desperately trying to avoid pulling the trigger. By resigning, Ewing can save face. If he does, GT can make a big production about thanking Ewing for his accomplishments as a player and his efforts to bring GT back to its glory days.

Hard to save face when your pants are already around your ankles

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1326 on: February 10, 2022, 12:09:51 PM »
Yeah I don't get the "PR disaster" that firing him would be.  Cause he starred for them 40 years ago?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1327 on: February 10, 2022, 12:15:23 PM »
Yeah I don't get the "PR disaster" that firing him would be.  Cause he starred for them 40 years ago?

yeah sort of. You don't think firing him wouldn't alienate Alonzo Mourning? Dikembe Mutombo? Maybe even AI? I mean if MU fired Wade I'd imagine that itd be a PR disaster and I'd imagine it'd alienate Deiner and Novak perhaps even the next group of greats that looked up to him. All of whom are important for coming back and taking pictures so wealthy alumni can swoon, get drunk and make donations.
Maigh Eo for Sam

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1328 on: February 10, 2022, 12:20:31 PM »
yeah sort of. You don't think firing him wouldn't alienate Alonzo Mourning? Dikembe Mutombo? Maybe even AI?

It might.  But I think you are way overstating the importance of these relationships.  Because you know what would matter more to the fanbase and those former players?  Winning.  And they aint doing that with Ewing.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

panda

• All American
« Reply #1329 on: February 10, 2022, 12:28:03 PM »
yeah sort of. You don't think firing him wouldn't alienate Alonzo Mourning? Dikembe Mutombo? Maybe even AI? I mean if MU fired Wade I'd imagine that itd be a PR disaster and I'd imagine it'd alienate Deiner and Novak perhaps even the next group of greats that looked up to him. All of whom are important for coming back and taking pictures so wealthy alumni can swoon, get drunk and make donations.

Winning heals all. This is similar thinking to holding on to a coach because you don't want to lose a couple players/recruits.

If Georgetown cares about their basketball program, they'll move on from Ewing without much consideration.

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1330 on: February 10, 2022, 12:33:25 PM »
I think the PR disaster angle presupposes all of the other PR disasters (e.g., winless BE season, playing in front of a couple hundred fans at McDonough, DePaul going on a 34-2 run) and hopes to not add to those by firing Ewing. Those things have already happened (or may happen). There's no way to un-ring those bells. I agree with Scoop Snoop that Georgetown is probably praying that Ewing will just step away so they won't have to fire him. I don't think Ewing is an idiot and I'd have to think he will step down. I'm sure he's well aware of the situation that Georgetown is in and if he still has affection for this alma mater he'll do the right thing.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1331 on: February 10, 2022, 12:40:46 PM »
Georgetown stayed committed to the JT tree.  Time to move on.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #1332 on: February 10, 2022, 12:44:41 PM »
He's still their hero, even 40 years later, and the face of their glory years. There is clearly every reason to fire him immediately, but at a school that allowed Big John to have so much influence over the program, there may well be resistance to firing the last link. I'm not questioning for one second that he needs to go, and the sooner the better. I'm simply saying I think that his leaving will end up being carefully choreographed to convey the impression that he decided that, for the good of his beloved Georgetown, he is graciously resigning to pave the way for their next coach. 
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

nyg

• All American

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #1334 on: February 10, 2022, 02:07:34 PM »
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/its-time-patrick-ewing-needs-to-step-down-to-save-georgetown-basketball/ar-AATHRlx?li=BBnbfcL

Good article telling Ewing its time....

While I took heat here for writing "PR disaster", I suspect many of my critics would accept the tamer line near the end of the article "a dismissal could get ugly". The title says it all and challenges Ewing to do the right thing.

This is an exceptionally well written and very thorough piece. Thanks for posting.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 02:10:05 PM by Scoop Snoop »
Wild horses couldn't drag me into either political party, but for very different reasons.

"All of our answers are unencumbered by the thought process." NPR's Click and Clack of Car Talk.

panda

• All American
« Reply #1335 on: February 10, 2022, 02:10:55 PM »
While I took heat here for writing "PR disaster", I suspect many of my critics would accept the tamer line near the end of the article "a dismissal could get ugly". The title says it all and challenges Ewing to do the right thing.

This is an exceptionally well written piece. Thanks for posting.

I'm not quite sure why it would get ugly? Are you saying all of the prominent supporters of Patrick Ewing don't care he's firmly entrenched the program in the BE basement?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #1336 on: February 10, 2022, 02:20:35 PM »
They got into it on the Field of 68 After Dark as to why it would be really difficult to fire Ewing. He's basically the guy that built that program. Yes, it was Big John, but Ewing has been the face of Georgetown for the past 40 years. It would also potentially alienate all of Big John's players, from Mourning to Mutombo to Iverson. A lot of donors are tied up in the history as well. The impression I get is that it's not one of those situations where we can really relate from the outside as to how difficult that firing would be. Probably the closest would be if we had to fire Doc Rivers, but I'm not sure that's even on par because Doc wasn't here as long and didn't reach the heights Ewing did as a player and face of the program.

I think their best case scenario is to have a talk with Ewing and convince him to resign because it's just not working. If he doesn't go for it, try changing up the staff and give it one more year, but it does look doomed.

I've been wondering who they would go for if Ewing left. It has to be a black coach, and unfortunately for Georgetown I don't think they get Cooley (he might leave, but not to an in-league opponent) or Smart (would've been perfect with DMV roots). If it came open, I do think they would have a number of candidates, but they certainly can't afford another Craig Esherick type hire.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Nukem2

• All American
« Reply #1337 on: February 10, 2022, 02:24:49 PM »
Rather think that they will craft an amicable departure for Ewing. 

panda

• All American
« Reply #1338 on: February 10, 2022, 02:29:54 PM »
They got into it on the Field of 68 After Dark as to why it would be really difficult to fire Ewing. He's basically the guy that built that program. Yes, it was Big John, but Ewing has been the face of Georgetown for the past 40 years. It would also potentially alienate all of Big John's players, from Mourning to Mutombo to Iverson. A lot of donors are tied up in the history as well. The impression I get is that it's not one of those situations where we can really relate from the outside as to how difficult that firing would be. Probably the closest would be if we had to fire Doc Rivers, but I'm not sure that's even on par because Doc wasn't here as long and didn't reach the heights Ewing did as a player and face of the program.

I think their best case scenario is to have a talk with Ewing and convince him to resign because it's just not working. If he doesn't go for it, try changing up the staff and give it one more year, but it does look doomed.

I've been wondering who they would go for if Ewing left. It has to be a black coach, and unfortunately for Georgetown I don't think they get Cooley (he might leave, but not to an in-league opponent) or Smart (would've been perfect with DMV roots). If it came open, I do think they would have a number of candidates, but they certainly can't afford another Craig Esherick type hire.

Getting caught up in the history of the program is what has run Georgetown into the ground. For Georgetown's sake, one would hope they administration can see through the weeds on this one.

Kim English is a name that makes sense - Risky, but checks several boxes.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #1339 on: February 10, 2022, 02:59:24 PM »

Why does it have to be a black coach?

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #1340 on: February 10, 2022, 03:03:40 PM »

Bo Ellis probably a better comp. Nowhere near the pro pedigree only player we have on that level is Wade but in terms of program contribution it'd be like firing Bo Ellis.
Maigh Eo for Sam

StillAWarrior

• All American
« Reply #1341 on: February 10, 2022, 03:08:47 PM »

I laughed a few days ago when someone posted a list of coaches Georgetown might consider. I don't recall who all was on there (Dixon and some others), but it seemed that only Dennis Gates would have met what I'm sure will be one of Georgetown's key criteria. This is not a criticism of Georgetown, but I'd be absolutely stunned if they did not hire a black coach.
Never wrestle with a pig.  You both get dirty, and the pig likes it.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #1342 on: February 10, 2022, 03:10:16 PM »
Getting caught up in the history of the program is what has run Georgetown into the ground. For Georgetown's sake, one would hope they administration can see through the weeds on this one.

Kim English is a name that makes sense - Risky, but checks several boxes.
Interesting name and might be the type of guy that can bring some energy to the program, but I think that's too risky for Georgetown.

Scoop Snoop

• All American
« Reply #1343 on: February 10, 2022, 03:14:49 PM »
I'm not quite sure why it would get ugly? Are you saying all of the prominent supporters of Patrick Ewing don't care he's firmly entrenched the program in the BE basement?

Oh, they care- a lot!. I think they want Ewing to have time to decide how to exit-especially how he phrases it. If he waits too long, he will be fired. The ugliness part is that the guy is part of GT's identity. We have a statue of Al and GT has a statue of Big John. GT needs to move beyond the Thompson(s)-Ewing era, but a firing-no matter how crystal clear the need to get rid of him is-will be twisted by some dyed-in-the-wool GT fans as something that somehow coulda/shoulda/woulda been avoided if if if. 

Edit- I really think this entire discussion will be moot before long. If Ewing has not read the article (and others like it) by now, he will very soon. He knows, and a well written article may be just enough to nudge him to act. 

« Last Edit: February 10, 2022, 03:24:43 PM by Scoop Snoop »

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1344 on: February 10, 2022, 03:14:59 PM »
Even Bob Dukiet didn't go winless in conference. When your coach is underperforming Piano Bob...
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

panda

• All American
« Reply #1345 on: February 10, 2022, 03:29:07 PM »
Oh, they care- a lot!. I think they want Ewing to have time to decide how to exit-especially how he phrases it. If he waits too long, he will be fired. The ugliness part is that the guy is part of GT's identity. We have a statue of Al and GT has a statue of Big John. GT needs to move beyond the Thompson(s)-Ewing era, but a firing-no matter how crystal clear the need to get rid of him is-will be twisted by some dyed-in-the-wool GT fans as something that somehow coulda/shoulda/woulda been avoided if if if. 

Edit- I really think this entire discussion will be moot before long. If Ewing has not read the article (and others like it) by now, he will very soon. He knows, and a well written article may be just enough to nudge him to act.

IDK - Purely my opinion, but that narrative seems more editorial jargon than reality. I don’t see any scenario where he is the head coach next year.

Then again, if they’re worried about offending alumni by firing a complete failure of a head coach who is driving their program into the ground, it’s better for us !

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #1346 on: February 10, 2022, 03:45:34 PM »

The difference here is that Diener and Novak were teammates of Wade on MU"s 2003 Final Four team. 

If you asked me whether it would alienate Wes Matthews, Jimmy Butler, or Jae Crowder if MU fired Wade in your above scenario, I would say no, they could care less.

CountryRoads

• All American
« Reply #1347 on: February 10, 2022, 03:52:46 PM »
Pull the plug, start over, and stop living so far in the past.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #1348 on: February 10, 2022, 04:11:30 PM »
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaabk/its-time-patrick-ewing-needs-to-step-down-to-save-georgetown-basketball/ar-AATHRlx?li=BBnbfcL

Good article telling Ewing its time....

There's a perspective that's missing from the article, and that's the question of whether anyone currently at Georgetown cares about Georgetown basketball. 

I don't think the issue behind the current lack of interest in Georgetown is simply too few wins.

My perception is that over the last 40 years, the student body has slowly transitioned from students happy for a traditional college experience (and excited over a top-level basketball program) into a pre-professional development program for those looking to change the world through government, associations, and NGOs.  And for that type of student, there is far too much relevant experience to be gained in DC and doesn't leave time to get all that into the basketball program.

I think it's that the type of student that represents Georgetown today simply doesn't care about athletics.  For too many students, when it comes down to whether you want to head to watch the Hoyas take on Providence or Creighton, or go listen to a speech from some climate activist on how to mobilize global action, the speech is going to win out every single time.

Can Georgetown (the basketball program) succeed in an environment where their primary audience is no longer primarily Georgetown University students? It's a challenging problem when your audience consists of the GU equivalent of sweater vests, reliving 30 and 40-year-old successes and casual basketball fans with no connection to the academic side of the organization.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #1349 on: February 10, 2022, 04:32:22 PM »
Rather think that they will craft an amicable departure for Ewing.

You mean like when Coach K misses half a season when they're bad?  8-)

feedback