[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2022-2023 NFL Season  (Read 121111 times)

WhiteTrash

• All American
Re: 2022-2023 NFL Season
« Reply #1675 on: December 05, 2022, 03:32:25 PM »

You said they want to lose.
Exactly.

Players and coaches want to win. 100% effort to win every game.

Ownership and management want to and expect to lose.

I'm not sure where this is being lost on people. The Bears have not reinvented the wheel here. The Astros and 76ers have played this same strategy.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #1676 on: December 05, 2022, 03:37:48 PM »
Ownership and management want to and expect to lose.

Yeah, I just don't think this is the case at all. Are you seriously suggesting that Virginia wants to lose?

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1677 on: December 05, 2022, 03:48:04 PM »
Yeah, I just don't think this is the case at all. Are you seriously suggesting that Virginia wants to lose?

White Trash may be overstating it, but this team was built to tank by the GM. And, no, Virginia doesn't want to lose to GB.

But, Poles' had 4 goals this season. Get the cap where he wanted it. Improve draft position. Find out if Fields was THE guy going forward. Find out if there are any other players worthy of being there when they are ready to contend (going into this year, only Jalen Johnson was in that group).

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1678 on: December 05, 2022, 03:52:32 PM »
I don't know if Virginia knows what she wants for breakfast these days. She is a dear old woman who loves the Bears but I don't think she has a firm grasp on what is happening. I believe she turned over control and decision making years ago.

Regardless, it is simple logic to conclude the Bears ownership wants to lose. The McCaskeys and Ryans and other owners would have fired the entire front office after replacing 30 players, putting 15 rookies on the team and traded the best players if they wanted to simply win as many games as possible this year.

I suppose if your theory is that the Bears owners have lost complete control of their franchise, then you could argue that ownership doesn't want to lose. You would be correct ......... and the greatest story/scandal in the history of professional sports is occurring right before our eyes. 

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #1679 on: December 05, 2022, 03:53:38 PM »
White Trash may be overstating it, but this team was built to tank by the GM. And, no, Virginia doesn't want to lose to GB.

But, Poles' had 4 goals this season. Get the cap where he wanted it. Improve draft position. Find out if Fields was THE guy going forward. Find out if there are any other players worthy of being there when they are ready to contend (going into this year, only Jalen Johnson was in that group).

I agree with all of this. 
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #1680 on: December 05, 2022, 03:55:12 PM »

No. However, when the plan was to have Equanimeous St. Brown be one of the team's leaders in snaps at the WR position, you can't really say that management is looking to win either. Jaire Alexander is right, he's a scrub.

I think its ok to say that Bears management is not actively rooting for the team to lose, while accepting that's the likely outcome and they are ok with it given the plan they put into place.

Whether that plan has merit or not is another debate.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 03:57:55 PM by RJax55 »

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1681 on: December 05, 2022, 04:02:54 PM »
Let me put it this way, the Bears don't want to lose like I don't want a ticket as I drive 150 mph through a school zone while drinking a beer and being chased by the cops.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1682 on: December 05, 2022, 04:11:56 PM »
Let me put it this way, the Bears don't want to lose like I don't want a ticket as I drive 150 mph through a school zone while drinking a beer and being chased by the cops.

Would you come on here and scream about a "great result!" every time you got a ticket, though?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1683 on: December 05, 2022, 04:12:06 PM »

I agree with all of this.
You agree at "the Bears are built to tank" but you think they don't want to lose???

I guess I have a different definition of "tank" than you. Maybe that is why we can't agree.

Here is what Iowa Law Review says: "In a broad sense, “tanking” is a term used to describe when sports teams lose games on purpose to secure some sort of future competitive advantage."

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1684 on: December 05, 2022, 04:16:18 PM »
Would you come on here and scream about a "great result!" every time you got a ticket, though?
I'm sorry the analogy was lost on you.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1685 on: December 05, 2022, 04:17:15 PM »
You agree at "the Bears are built to tank" but you think they don't want to lose???

I guess I have a different definition of "tank" than you. Maybe that is why we can't agree.

Here is what Iowa Law Review says: "In a broad sense, “tanking” is a term used to describe when sports teams lose games on purpose to secure some sort of future competitive advantage."

There is a difference between Poles tanking for this year and Virginia wanting to lose.

RJax55

• All American
« Reply #1686 on: December 05, 2022, 04:18:55 PM »
All this Bears rebuild talk, it is the Lions that are the far more interesting team. They are vastly head of the Bears in the rebuild department, with more draft assets in the short-term as well.

While the Bears OL sucks, the Lions have one of the league's better units.

Hutchinson is a difference maker at DE, with true star potential. The Bears don't have even one league average starter on their current DL.

The Lions have the St. Brown who is actually good and an exciting prospect with a boatload of talent in Jameson Williams. The Bears have Mooney who is decent and enigmatic Chase Claypool.

The Bears currently have the 2nd pick, but thanks to the Stafford trade, the Lions have the 3rd selection. Do the Rams win another game this season? Plus, the Lions have their own 1st round pick and two 2nd round selections. Now, that's a ton of draft capital.

Of course, the question mark is the QB position and Goff. But, Lions might have the draft capital to perhaps entice Houston to get Young. Or, continue to draft talented guys. Imagine Jalen Carter or Will Andersen on that line with Hutchinson.

The NFC is weak. I don't see that changing anytime soon. With talent around him, Goff has shown the ability to have playoff success. The Lions are the team to watch in 2023.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #1687 on: December 05, 2022, 04:22:40 PM »

If this team went 15-2 it would be a failed season in your eyes I guess.

There is a difference between Poles tanking for this year and Virginia wanting to lose.

Yep.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1688 on: December 05, 2022, 04:35:58 PM »
If this team went 15-2 it would be a failed season in your eyes I guess.

And with that, I rest my case.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1689 on: December 05, 2022, 06:09:36 PM »

If you honestly believe the Bears are losing on purpose, why was Fields playing yesterday? The Bears had plausible deniability for sitting him, and it's pretty clear that Nathan Peterman or Tim Boyle behind center would have greatly enhanced the chances of a loss.
Weird way to try to lose.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1690 on: December 05, 2022, 09:22:26 PM »
Starting to wonder if teams knew what they were doing when they passed on Byron Leftwich.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1691 on: December 05, 2022, 10:20:58 PM »
Mark Ingram should be waived before the plane leaves the tarmac back to New Orleans. That play cost the Saints the game.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #1692 on: December 05, 2022, 10:27:34 PM »
Mark Ingram should be waived before the plane leaves the tarmac back to New Orleans. That play cost the Saints the game.

Great result for them!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1693 on: December 05, 2022, 10:29:19 PM »
Great result for them!

Great result for the Eagles, who own New Orleans' first pick.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1694 on: December 05, 2022, 10:33:30 PM »

In fairness, he was hurt and shouldn't have been in the game.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1695 on: December 05, 2022, 10:39:59 PM »
Great result for them!

This doesn’t make any sense, they don’t own their draft pick.

I see how you’re trying to be cute here. Swing and a miss, down on strikes.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1696 on: December 05, 2022, 10:42:38 PM »
In fairness, he was hurt and shouldn't have been in the game.

Also, if only the Saints had a RB on their roster who is usually among league leaders in RB receptions.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #1697 on: December 06, 2022, 07:23:25 AM »
This doesn’t make any sense, they don’t own their draft pick.

I see how you’re trying to be cute here. Swing and a miss, down on strikes.

Standings only affect where you draft in the first round? Thought you said early second round picks are the most valuable draft capital you can get.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1698 on: December 06, 2022, 08:22:08 AM »
Standings only affect where you draft in the first round? Thought you said early second round picks are the most valuable draft capital you can get.

I actually respect that you completely whiffed in remembering the Saints didn’t own their first round pick and tried to save face here.

Yes, I’ve said and believe if a team collects as many second round picks as possible, it’s a competitive advantage to roster build and cap build. So I guess great result for the Saints? I’m not sure why that take lives rent free in some people’s heads around here.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1699 on: December 06, 2022, 08:27:09 AM »
If you honestly believe the Bears are losing on purpose, why was Fields playing yesterday? The Bears had plausible deniability for sitting him, and it's pretty clear that Nathan Peterman or Tim Boyle behind center would have greatly enhanced the chances of a loss.
Weird way to try to lose.
Yes, I honestly believe the Bears are trying to lose. Me and 99% of NFL fans and the media believe that. Congrats on being contrarian.

Also, if you read the previous post here, the Bears are trying to evaluate talent for the future including Fields who most people don't think is an all-pro player at this point and needs reps, lots of reps, for his own growth and for management to decide if he is the future QB of the Bears.

Maybe you should address Sultan who agreed that the Bears are tanking. Maybe he can persuade you that the Bears are not trying to win.