[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by BrewCity83
[Today at 04:40:04 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Dr. Blackheart
[Today at 04:38:52 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2022-2023 NFL Season  (Read 121185 times)

MU82

• All American
Re: 2022-2023 NFL Season
« Reply #1625 on: December 04, 2022, 09:40:34 PM »
You guys are right, I was wrong. Finishing 7-10, with the 15th pick, not making a reasonable educated decision towards my young 1st round picks fifth year option, that’s definitely something I’d rather build on going into 2023.

Don’t lump me in with “you guys.” It doesn’t matter to me what you root for regarding your team, and I totally understand you hoping for better draft position. I was just saying that I, personally, have trouble pulling for losses for my team.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1626 on: December 04, 2022, 09:43:06 PM »
Don’t lump me in with “you guys.” It doesn’t matter to me what you root for regarding your team, and I totally understand you hoping for better draft position. I was just saying that I, personally, have trouble pulling for losses for my team.

Has anyone "pulled for losses"? Or have people said a loss is fine in the context of a rebuild? And if Fields keeps developing so the franchise doesn't also have to rebuild the QB position, even better.

lostpassword

• Starter
« Reply #1627 on: December 04, 2022, 09:44:26 PM »
Tell me every Bears fan is thrilled with losses.  Then go look at the reactions here after they smoked the Patriots or beat the 49ers.  They weren't hoping for losses there.  They were THRILLED!  Even trying to troll Packers fans talking about how they're going to finish last in the NFC North.

If the Bears were just dominated from start to finish in these games, sure you're happy to get a better draft pick.  But if I'm thinking Fields is "a dude," I'm not celebrating that he can't sustain a drive (previous games) or throws picks in the last 2 possessions of games they're in position to win.  Even if it drops me a couple draft picks (oh no!).  If I'm thinking he's "a dude," I'm looking for him to go out and win those games.  And I'm jacked up if he does, and disappointed if he's turning the ball over in situations where he can win the game.

But that's just me.  It's funny seeing Bears fans being thrilled about losses, while also talking about Shaka building a winning culture.

I think the Bears are in a great position to build something the next 2-4 years.  I don't think a few spot differential in draft position and a 4th place schedule matter all that much in whether they succeed in capitlizing on that opportunity.  The right QB-1, signing the right guys with all that cap-space and draft picks, and having the right GM/coach/locker-room-dynamic are orders of magnitude more important.  See: Detroit Lions.  The celebration of losing is bizarre to me.  I can understand "oh well, we lost but at least ...." but instead I keep seeing "this is great.  it's exactly the plan and what we want.".

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1628 on: December 04, 2022, 09:47:12 PM »
Has anyone "pulled for losses"? Or have people said a loss is fine in the context of a rebuild? And if Fields keeps developing so the franchise doesn't also have to rebuild the QB position, even better.

Considering every time the Bears lose we have a couple Bears fans coming on here saying it’s a “great result,” I’d say it seems Bears fans are pulling for losses. Even when their dude threw picks in back to back possessions with a chance to win a football game.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1629 on: December 04, 2022, 09:48:52 PM »
I think the Bears are in a great position to build something the next 2-4 years.  I don't think a few spot differential in draft position and a 4th place schedule matter all that much in whether they succeed in capitlizing on that opportunity.  The right QB-1, signing the right guys with all that cap-space and draft picks, and having the right GM/coach/locker-room-dynamic are orders of magnitude more important.  See: Detroit Lions.  The celebration of losing is bizarre to me.  I can understand "oh well, we lost but at least ...." but instead I keep seeing "this is great.  it's exactly the plan and what we want.".

Agreed. And how they lose matters.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1630 on: December 04, 2022, 09:53:49 PM »
Considering every time the Bears lose we have a couple Bears fans coming on here saying it’s a “great result,” I’d say it seems Bears fans are pulling for losses. Even when their dude threw picks in back to back possessions with a chance to win a football game.

It is a great result for a rebuild.

Again, maybe they decide the "dude" isn't good enough and they can go get another QB in the draft.

Such a weird thing that a knowledgeable sports fan like you can't imagine a scenario where getting as much draft capital as possible (and evaluating the future of the QB position) is good for a rebuild.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1631 on: December 04, 2022, 09:59:57 PM »
It is a great result for a rebuild.

Again, maybe they decide the "dude" isn't good enough and they can go get another QB in the draft.

Such a weird thing that a knowledgeable sports fan like you can't imagine a scenario where getting as much draft capital as possible (and evaluating the future of the QB position) is good for a rebuild.

I do get that. What I don’t get is celebrating that the guy I claim has shown these incredible strides and is my future upon which I do rebuild throws interceptions in back to back drives with a chance to beat my rival. Because “great result! 4th place schedule and second draft pick!”

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1632 on: December 04, 2022, 10:01:22 PM »
I do get that. What I don’t get is celebrating that the guy I claim has shown these incredible strides and is my future upon which I do rebuild throws interceptions in back to back drives with a chance to beat my rival. Because “great result! 4th place schedule and second draft pick!”

As I've now said multiple times, can't the rebuild potentially include a new QB?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1633 on: December 04, 2022, 10:02:11 PM »
As I've now said multiple times, can't the rebuild potentially include a new QB?

It can. But if Fields isn’t a dude, your higher draft pick this season really won’t matter much in the long run.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1634 on: December 04, 2022, 10:06:57 PM »

I'm not in the room sitting next to Bears fans. Maybe y'all really want to win every single game but just don't express it publicly. I don't know, and it really doesn't matter to me.

All I said was that as a Panthers fan, I'd rather see my team win but I look at a loss (and the improved draft position that goes with it) as an OK consolation prize. Oh, and I also said that it doesn't matter what I root for; if it did we wouldn't have lost that effen SB to Denver!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1635 on: December 04, 2022, 10:09:49 PM »
Is any Bears fan on here bothered by either interception Fields threw today? St. Brown burns Fields on a bum route, and after getting torched most of the game, Alexander finally makes a play off St. Brown’s laziness. The other pick is in garbage time, bad decision, didn’t change the outcome of the game. If he keeps getting better and learns from it, that’s what any second year QB should do.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1636 on: December 04, 2022, 10:12:06 PM »
Is any Bears fan on here bothered by either interception Fields threw today? St. Brown burns Fields on a bum route, and after getting torched most of the game, Alexander finally makes a play off St. Brown’s laziness. The other pick is in garbage time, bad decision, didn’t change the outcome of the game. If he keeps getting better and learns from it, that’s what any second year QB should do.

This Packers fan wasn’t bothered with them either. I know I should be because fourth place schedules and higher draft picks were on the line, oh well.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1637 on: December 04, 2022, 10:16:45 PM »
It can. But if Fields isn’t a dude, your higher draft pick this season really won’t matter much in the long run.

Higher draft picks give you the chance to take a highly rated QB, if you need it.

So, ya, it would help in the long run.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1638 on: December 04, 2022, 10:17:48 PM »
Higher draft picks give you the chance to take a highly rated QB, if you need it.

So, ya, it would help in the long run.

But the Bears will not be taking a QB in the first round this year.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1639 on: December 04, 2022, 10:22:26 PM »
This Packers fan wasn’t bothered with them either. I know I should be because fourth place schedules and higher draft picks were on the line, oh well.

Yup, big win today. That 7-10 record is going straight to Guinness.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1640 on: December 04, 2022, 11:55:03 PM »
As a Bears fan, the outrage of Packer fans about the Bears' strategy makes me more confident in the strategy.

It would really suck if I felt the Bears were trying to be good, possibly SuperBowl good and were 5-8. That would be a nightmare.

Plaque Lives Matter!

• Starter
« Reply #1641 on: December 05, 2022, 12:41:34 AM »
Having a top 4 pick in a strong qb year can equate to much more overall traded draft capital if teams are willing to bite hard for their guy. Weirdly obsessed with an opposing fan base’s buy in to a strategy though. I suppose the mediocrity I'm numb to is new and scary to others.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1642 on: December 05, 2022, 12:45:53 AM »
As a Bears fan, the outrage of Packer fans about the Bears' strategy makes me more confident in the strategy.

It would really suck if I felt the Bears were trying to be good, possibly SuperBowl good and were 5-8. That would be a nightmare.

I mostly agree, but the jury is still out on Fields. Running QBs do not win SBs and Justin hasn’t impressed as a passer. Better WRs will help, but he has to get a lot better.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #1643 on: December 05, 2022, 03:06:04 AM »

Again the Bears aren’t trying to lose games. They are trying to win them. They are obviously doing so while going young, saving cap space and seeing what their young QB can do.

But they wanted Fields to complete the comeback. Most of the fans did too. At least the ones at the stadium seemed to. Didn’t hear many fans cheering the loss.

“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1644 on: December 05, 2022, 06:03:53 AM »
But the Bears will not be taking a QB in the first round this year.

If they don't believe in fields, why not?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1645 on: December 05, 2022, 07:19:15 AM »
Glad Bears fans are very confident in what the Bears are doing because of how Packers fans are responding to it. In the 33 years of my life I’ve felt almost exactly the same about the Bears as I do now, but maybe this year it’s different!

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #1646 on: December 05, 2022, 07:34:37 AM »
Yup, big win today. That 7-10 record is going straight to Guinness.

I would rather finish 7-10 and beat the Bears yesterday than finish 6-11 and gain a few spots in the draft.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #1647 on: December 05, 2022, 08:07:38 AM »
Bears Fans: Expect your ownership to be reluctant to spend any discretionary money on this team until Arlington Heights is ready for competitive play. I think there will be too many distractions and too much need for non-football related expenditures. Bear Down for a rough ride for at least four more years.

Packers Fans: Your ownership made a horrible decision on Aaron Rodgers. Sorry, they did. He's a great football player but you are now saddled with Rodgers for at least another year and maybe two. If Jordan Love is the real thing, he's be the real thing for someone else. That, in turn, means the Packers have an almost guaranteed period of Randy Wright-era quarterbacking. If Love isn't the real thing, the Packers wasted a draft choice that could have helped them this year!

At the beginning of the 2022 season, I predicted the Bears wouldn't win more than three games. That was a big reason why I gave my season tickets up, rather than using some of them and parceling the rest out. Wow, the Bears are doing their damdest to make that happen.

The Packers, meanwhile, are a complete mystery. How could the coaches and front office miss this badly?

« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 08:09:33 AM by dgies9156 »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1648 on: December 05, 2022, 08:13:03 AM »
Having a top 4 pick in a strong qb year can equate to much more overall traded draft capital if teams are willing to bite hard for their guy. Weirdly obsessed with an opposing fan base’s buy in to a strategy though. I suppose the mediocrity I'm numb to is new and scary to others.

It's not a strong QB year. Bryce Young ought to be a lock for #1 to Houston, but after that there are big questions about Stroud and even bigger questions about Levis. They'll both get drafted too high, but I don't see any team mortgaging the future to move up a few spots for them.

As for the Bears, no, they're not trying to lose. Nobody in the NFL tries to lose. They'll accept losses as part of the rebuilding process, and are happy to deal older players and expiring contracts as part of that process, but that's not the same as trying to lose. If they were trying to lose, Fields would not have played yesterday.

« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 08:16:51 AM by Pakuni »

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
« Reply #1649 on: December 05, 2022, 08:20:15 AM »
It's not a strong QB year. Bryce Young ought to be a lock for #1 to Houston, but after that there are big questions about Stroud and even bigger questions about Levis. They'll both get drafted too high, but I don't see any team mortgaging the future to move up a few spots for them.

As for the Bears, no, they're not trying to lose. Nobody in the NFL tries to lose. They'll accept losses as part of the rebuilding process, and are happy to deal older players and expiring contracts as part of that process, but that's not the same as trying to lose. If they were trying to lose, Fields would not have played yesterday.

Exactly.