[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Nukem2
[April 19, 2024, 09:24:02 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 19, 2024, 08:17:02 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2022-2023 NFL Season  (Read 123589 times)

jesmu84

• All American
Re: 2022-2023 NFL Season
« Reply #1600 on: December 04, 2022, 03:53:47 PM »
But, are they even developing Fields? He has shown he can pass when everybody expects run. He has not yet shown he can pass when a pass is expected. If they really want to develop him, they need to throw 40 times a game for the rest of the season. then we will have some insight into what he is as a passer.

Wut?

You cannot do that with this offensive line without getting him killed.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #1601 on: December 04, 2022, 04:14:43 PM »
I know this was a long time ago, and may not be indicative of how most teams would approach this, but in 1992 the Packers started the season 3-6.  Favre took over as starter in game 4.  They finished the season winning 6 of 7 but not making the playoffs.

I don't think there was ever any regret that they didn't lose some of those games. In the 1993 NFL draft, they ended up getting three starters for them in the '97 Super Bowl. (Wayne Simmons, Earl Dotson, Doug Evans).  They also drafted Mark Brunnell, who was traded for two draft picks in 1995 - one of whom resulted in another Super Bowl starter in William Henderson, the other an All-Pro special teams player in Travis Jervey.

Sure the Bears should be playing everyone to see who actually can contribute in the future, but this isn't the NBA when it comes to drafting. Good personnel departments will find value. IMO you might as well win in the meantime.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1602 on: December 04, 2022, 04:38:43 PM »
I know this was a long time ago, and may not be indicative of how most teams would approach this, but in 1992 the Packers started the season 3-6.  Favre took over as starter in game 4.  They finished the season winning 6 of 7 but not making the playoffs.

I don't think there was ever any regret that they didn't lose some of those games. In the 1993 NFL draft, they ended up getting three starters for them in the '97 Super Bowl. (Wayne Simmons, Earl Dotson, Doug Evans).  They also drafted Mark Brunnell, who was traded for two draft picks in 1995 - one of whom resulted in another Super Bowl starter in William Henderson, the other an All-Pro special teams player in Travis Jervey.

Sure the Bears should be playing everyone to see who actually can contribute in the future, but this isn't the NBA when it comes to drafting. Good personnel departments will find value. IMO you might as well win in the meantime.

You kinda answered your own question though, what really mattered was they knew Favre was going to be their guy.

The price for a QB in the draft today seems inherently higher from an asset cost standpoint then back then. The Dolphins trade of their pick at #3 to San Fran netted them Tyreek Hill, Jaylen Waddle, and Bradley Chubb as an example.

It’s not just the higher draft pick, you also want a 4th place schedule. With three games now (instead of two) with uncommon opponents among your division, makes a difference.

Obviously overall winning >>>> losing, it’s taking them a really LONG time to get there, but one can see a light at the end of the tunnel, and at this point, it’s fine for them to lose. A year from now it won’t be.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1603 on: December 04, 2022, 05:10:06 PM »
Jaguars stink.  First time all season that the Lions had all of their wide receivers and Swift healthy.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1604 on: December 04, 2022, 05:47:05 PM »
Whatever it takes to cope I guess.

To be clear, I understand completely why you are saying what you are saying. I just think at some point, you need to win. I mean, winning is fun!  If you trust your front office, they will find talent no matter where they draft. And again, we are only talking about a few spots difference here.
With all due respect, I don't think you do understand. If you did, you wouldn't say "Whatever it takes to cope...".

The losses are exactly what the ownership, management and fans expected and want.

• All American
« Reply #1605 on: December 04, 2022, 05:52:56 PM »
With all due respect, I don't think you do understand. If you did, you wouldn't say "Whatever it takes to cope...".

The losses are exactly what the ownership, management and fans expected and want.

The Bears ownership doesn’t want to lose to the Packers.

And if the management want them to keep losing, that says a lot about them. But not in a good way.

But I actually don’t think they feel that way. They’re smarter than that.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1606 on: December 04, 2022, 06:03:38 PM »
c

And if the management want them to keep losing, that says a lot about them. But not in a good way.

Right, the Bears are trying to win.

They have 15 rookies on the team and have traded their best players. According to one site the average NFL team consist of 6 rookies.

I don't know, maybe you're a Packers fan who is upset millions of Bears fans are happy with the losses. Not some, not most, every Bears fan I know is more than good with the lose today.   

• All American
« Reply #1607 on: December 04, 2022, 06:09:49 PM »
cRight, the Bears are trying to win.

They have 15 rookies on the team and have traded their best players. According to one site the average NFL team consist of 6 rookies.

I don't know, maybe you're a Packers fan who is upset millions of Bears fans are happy with the losses. Not some, not most, every Bears fan I know is more than good with the lose today.   

If you are saying that they are prioritizing player development over winning, I agree with you. But that’s not what you said. You said the ownership and management want them to lose.

Are you saying that they were happy that Fields and Co failed down the stretch? Not a chance.

And I don’t care what the fans think or want. It seemed like those in attendance wanted them to win. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #1608 on: December 04, 2022, 06:28:09 PM »
Are the bears really going to get good fast enough before they have to start paying Fields real money if he really is that good?

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1609 on: December 04, 2022, 06:31:06 PM »

If you are saying that they are prioritizing player development over winning, I agree with you. But that’s not what you said. You said the ownership and management want them to lose.

Are you saying that they were happy that Fields and Co failed down the stretch? Not a chance.

And I don’t care what the fans think or want. It seemed like those in attendance wanted them to win. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️
Fair enough, they are prioritizing player development over winning. They are prioritizing draft capital over winning. They are prioritizing future success over winning. They are prioritizing cap space over winning. Heck, they maybe prioritizing the club's holiday party over winning.

I'll concede, that somewhere in the Bears' list of 100 things to do this season is winning games.

Call it what you want but everyone knows what the Bears are doing.

• All American
« Reply #1610 on: December 04, 2022, 06:32:50 PM »
Are the bears really going to get good fast enough before they have to start paying Fields real money if he really is that good?

They have him on his rookie deal for three more years after this one...assuming they pick up his option.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #1611 on: December 04, 2022, 06:35:35 PM »
Tanking in the easy part of the Bears plan (A+ so far); the hard part is still to come. Money will not be an issue for the Bears, spending it well is the real question.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #1612 on: December 04, 2022, 07:09:22 PM »

Management does want them to lose - but just this year. That is exactly why they traded Mack, Quinn, and Roquan.

Maybe ‘want’ isn’t exactly the right word. Maybe ‘ willing to accept’ losing is better.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1613 on: December 04, 2022, 07:17:05 PM »

They’re going to have the highest amount of free cap space heading into an offseason that any team has ever had in league history. They have no long term financial commitments of consequence to anyone.

Now whether they use that space wisely is another question entirely and right to question. But they’re positioned great in a few years to pay Fields and add high priced talent along the way.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1614 on: December 04, 2022, 07:40:48 PM »
Tell me every Bears fan is thrilled with losses.  Then go look at the reactions here after they smoked the Patriots or beat the 49ers.  They weren't hoping for losses there.  They were THRILLED!  Even trying to troll Packers fans talking about how they're going to finish last in the NFC North.

If the Bears were just dominated from start to finish in these games, sure you're happy to get a better draft pick.  But if I'm thinking Fields is "a dude," I'm not celebrating that he can't sustain a drive (previous games) or throws picks in the last 2 possessions of games they're in position to win.  Even if it drops me a couple draft picks (oh no!).  If I'm thinking he's "a dude," I'm looking for him to go out and win those games.  And I'm jacked up if he does, and disappointed if he's turning the ball over in situations where he can win the game.

But that's just me.  It's funny seeing Bears fans being thrilled about losses, while also talking about Shaka building a winning culture.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

• All American
« Reply #1615 on: December 04, 2022, 07:41:52 PM »
Tell me every Bears fan is thrilled with losses.  Then go look at the reactions here after they smoked the Patriots or beat the 49ers.  They weren't hoping for losses there.  They were THRILLED!  Even trying to troll Packers fans talking about how they're going to finish last in the NFC North.

If the Bears were just dominated from start to finish in these games, sure you're happy to get a better draft pick.  But if I'm thinking Fields is "a dude," I'm not celebrating that he can't sustain a drive (previous games) or throws picks in the last 2 possessions of games they're in position to win.  Even if it drops me a couple draft picks (oh no!).  If I'm thinking he's "a dude," I'm looking for him to go out and win those games.  And I'm jacked up if he does, and disappointed if he's turning the ball over in situations where he can win the game.

But that's just me.  It's funny seeing Bears fans being thrilled about losses, while also talking about Shaka building a winning culture.

Exactly.

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #1616 on: December 04, 2022, 08:16:21 PM »
Jaguars stink.  First time all season that the Lions had all of their wide receivers and Swift healthy.

Loving that the Lions are winning and could sneak into the playoffs and will still end up with a top five pick thanks to the Rams bottoming out.
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

tower912

• All American
« Reply #1617 on: December 04, 2022, 08:25:13 PM »
Ironies abound.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1618 on: December 04, 2022, 08:56:36 PM »

Lol.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1619 on: December 04, 2022, 08:58:25 PM »
Lol.

Agreed.  There is a lot to laugh about.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MU82

• All American
« Reply #1620 on: December 04, 2022, 09:05:57 PM »
I find it very hard to root for the Panthers to lose, even though they desperately need a franchise QB. I figure they’re plenty good at losing even when they don’t try to do it.

I look at it two ways:

1. If my guys win, OK, I always like to watch a winning performance; if they lose, OK, we get a higher draft pick.

2. It doesn’t matter what I root for, anyway. What’s gonna happen on the field is gonna happen.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1621 on: December 04, 2022, 09:11:55 PM »
I find it very hard to root for the Panthers to lose, even though they desperately need a franchise QB. I figure they’re plenty good at losing even when they don’t try to do it.

I look at it two ways:

1. If my guys win, OK, I always like to watch a winning performance; if they lose, OK, we get a higher draft pick.

2. It doesn’t matter what I root for, anyway. What’s gonna happen on the field is gonna happen.

And for me if I had a young quarterback who all I cared about was his development, part of what I'd hope he would develop is the ability to close out wins when he has a late lead and the ball.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1622 on: December 04, 2022, 09:29:38 PM »
You guys are right, I was wrong. Finishing 7-10, with the 15th pick, not making a reasonable educated decision towards my young 1st round picks fifth year option, that’s definitely something I’d rather build on going into 2023.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #1623 on: December 04, 2022, 09:35:35 PM »
And for me if I had a young quarterback who all I cared about was his development, part of what I'd hope he would develop is the ability to close out wins when he has a late lead and the ball.

But that doesn't help you improve the rest of the team, right?

Higher draft capital allows you to do that in the situation where you need significant roster overhaul

Why can't both things happen concurrently?

I just don't understand the rant earlier. Either you have a "dude" and you hope he develops this year and then you build around him with excellent draft standing. Or you determine he doesn't have the ability and you can move on with excellent draft standing.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 09:41:47 PM by jesmu84 »

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #1624 on: December 04, 2022, 09:39:25 PM »
But that doesn't help you improve the rest of the team, right?

It’s funny because Green Bay does have a young quarterback that they don’t care to develop.

feedback