[Today at 06:18:19 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by the eagle
[Today at 06:05:16 PM]

Sweet 16 presser by MuMark
[Today at 04:40:13 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2022-2023 NFL Season  (Read 121193 times)

WhiteTrash

• All American
Re: 2022-2023 NFL Season
« Reply #550 on: August 14, 2022, 03:16:40 PM »
After watching my Bears yesterday, I really think they could be the first 0-17 team in NFL history.

I wonder if Matt Eberflus (a curios choice for head coach) is a sacrificial lamb for the rebuild. He may be a decent coach but I give him about 5% chance to be the coach in two years.

As Bears fans, we are going to have to trust "The Process".

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #551 on: August 16, 2022, 10:53:02 PM »
After watching my Bears yesterday, I really think they could be the first 0-17 team in NFL history.

I wonder if Matt Eberflus (a curios choice for head coach) is a sacrificial lamb for the rebuild. He may be a decent coach but I give him about 5% chance to be the coach in two years.

As Bears fans, we are going to have to trust "The Process".

After "trusting" the process for 28 years, I've had enough.

I'm not of the belief they will go 0-17, but I think 3-14 is reasonable. I think they'll make the Detroit Lions look good.

The Roquan Smith problem is indicative of the Bears. They have one of the 100 best players in the NFL but they refuse to give him a contract. And they won't trade him. Even though they traded arguably their best defensive player, Khalil Mack, to San Diego.

This team has no wide outs, no defense secondary and an offensive line that will have Justin Fields flat on his back more than a lady of the evening. They'll beat the Packers just in time for the second coming of St. Vincent of Green Bay.

I was a season ticket holder for years. I gave my tickets up this year because I'm moving and because no hope for this team and no value in holding the tickets. They will suck seawater until they move to Arlington Heights between 2027 and 2029. Until then, count on the McCaskeys to be the McCheapos.   
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 11:00:12 PM by dgies9156 »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #552 on: August 17, 2022, 05:57:54 AM »
After "trusting" the process for 28 years, I've had enough.

I'm not of the belief they will go 0-17, but I think 3-14 is reasonable. I think they'll make the Detroit Lions look good.

The Roquan Smith problem is indicative of the Bears. They have one of the 100 best players in the NFL but they refuse to give him a contract. And they won't trade him. Even though they traded arguably their best defensive player, Khalil Mack, to San Diego.

This team has no wide outs, no defense secondary and an offensive line that will have Justin Fields flat on his back more than a lady of the evening. They'll beat the Packers just in time for the second coming of St. Vincent of Green Bay.

I was a season ticket holder for years. I gave my tickets up this year because I'm moving and because no hope for this team and no value in holding the tickets. They will suck seawater until they move to Arlington Heights between 2027 and 2029. Until then, count on the McCaskeys to be the McCheapos.

1. Roquan does not deserve to be the highest paid LB in the league

2. The defensive secondary is going to be very good

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #553 on: August 17, 2022, 01:48:32 PM »
1. Roquan does not deserve to be the highest paid LB in the league
   True, but when your team sucks, you have to make compromises. Roquan is a compromise that needs to happen. He's the only lights out player on that defense.

2. The defensive secondary is going to be very good.
    In your dreams. They're going to be picked apart by every average or better quarterback in the league. Give a quarterback time and that secondary will be the Burnt Toast of the NFL.

Every team in the division has a better quarterback than the Bears do and the wide receivers came straight from Libertyville High School. Fields will have 0.5 seconds to throw before he's nailed again and again and again. He may be the second coming of Tom Brady and Joe Montana but he's going to be running for his life.

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #554 on: August 17, 2022, 01:51:43 PM »
Overpaying for talent is what bad franchises do.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #555 on: August 17, 2022, 02:52:47 PM »
Every team in the division has a better quarterback than the Bears do and the wide receivers came straight from Libertyville High School. Fields will have 0.5 seconds to throw before he's nailed again and again and again. He may be the second coming of Tom Brady and Joe Montana but he's going to be running for his life.

I cant believe I'm defending this terrible roster, but thats just silly.  Mooney just came off a 1000 yard season despite playing in a horrific offense with a QB running for his life.  Pringle had a really nice season in his first opportunity at any sort of an expanded role in KC and doesn't drop the ball.  And Velus Jones Jr is a potential WEAPON and has looked really nice during camp.  This WR core is nowhere near as bad as the early 2000s debacles.

Also, you realize that a DB/secondary can be very good even if they aren't put in good positions to succeed.  The secondary is young but extremely talent.  Jaylon Johnson had a really good rookie season.  Kyler Gordon and Brisker are both super promising.  Just because QBs have time and there is no push upfront doesn't mean the secondary sucks.

This team is gonna be bad, but dramatically trashing every single position group on shaky ground just makes you sound like a Chicken Little meatball fan who calls into The Score after every loss freaking out.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #556 on: August 17, 2022, 04:44:00 PM »

Fields is better than Rodgers
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #557 on: August 17, 2022, 09:49:30 PM »
I cant believe I'm defending this terrible roster, but thats just silly.  Mooney just came off a 1000 yard season despite playing in a horrific offense with a QB running for his life.  Pringle had a really nice season in his first opportunity at any sort of an expanded role in KC and doesn't drop the ball.  And Velus Jones Jr is a potential WEAPON and has looked really nice during camp.  This WR core is nowhere near as bad as the early 2000s debacles.

Also, you realize that a DB/secondary can be very good even if they aren't put in good positions to succeed.  The secondary is young but extremely talent.  Jaylon Johnson had a really good rookie season.  Kyler Gordon and Brisker are both super promising.  Just because QBs have time and there is no push upfront doesn't mean the secondary sucks.

This team is gonna be bad, but dramatically trashing every single position group on shaky ground just makes you sound like a Chicken Little meatball fan who calls into The Score after every loss freaking out.

Brother Wags:

1) I've never called the Score and I don't think I've listened to 670 since it converted from all news years ago.

2) I'm a die hard Packers fan who loves pro football -- hence the Bears tickets. I've enjoyed some of the more interesting Bears games over the years, including the ones where Green Bay won! I have a soft spot for the Bears but even their own grandmothers acknowledge they're going to suck this year!

3) The Bears will go cheap until Arlington Heights is about ready to open. For you Bear fans, that means five to seven years of non-stop crap football.

4) You may have a higher opinion of their position groupings than I do. But they still suck!

6) Fields > Rodgers?  In what universe???????

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #558 on: August 18, 2022, 06:17:45 AM »
Brother Wags:

1) I've never called the Score and I don't think I've listened to 670 since it converted from all news years ago.

2) I'm a die hard Packers fan who loves pro football -- hence the Bears tickets. I've enjoyed some of the more interesting Bears games over the years, including the ones where Green Bay won! I have a soft spot for the Bears but even their own grandmothers acknowledge they're going to suck this year!

3) The Bears will go cheap until Arlington Heights is about ready to open. For you Bear fans, that means five to seven years of non-stop crap football.

4) You may have a higher opinion of their position groupings than I do. But they still suck!

6) Fields > Rodgers?  In what universe???????

So, nothing fundamentally changes.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #559 on: August 18, 2022, 08:07:39 AM »
In the 40 YD dash?

I like Fields but I could see a scenario where Rodgers is still in the NFL and Fields is not. I wouldn't bet on it but it wouldn't shock me. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #560 on: August 18, 2022, 08:28:46 AM »

Rodgers is much better than Fields at publicly ripping his receivers.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #561 on: August 18, 2022, 08:34:42 AM »
Rodgers is much better than Fields at publicly ripping his receivers.

When Brady does it, he is a great leader who is ultra competitive.

When Rodgers does it, he is toxic.

Keep that in mind.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #562 on: August 18, 2022, 09:05:14 AM »
When Brady does it, he is a great leader who is ultra competitive.

When Rodgers does it, he is toxic.

Keep that in mind.

It's almost as if a 7 rings matter.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #563 on: August 18, 2022, 09:14:40 AM »
It's almost as if a 7 rings matter.

non sequiter

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #564 on: August 18, 2022, 09:37:40 AM »
non sequiter

Not at all.
When you're the greatest winner in the history of the sport and a guy with a famed work ethic dedication to his craft, it buys a ton of credibility when it comes to setting and enforcing high expectations for teammates.

On the other hand, when you're a guy who consistently underachieves when it matters most and spends the offseason tripping in Peru, people tend to take you a little less seriously when you complain about others not living up to your expectations.

You don't have to like it, but them's the facts.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #565 on: August 18, 2022, 09:42:52 AM »
Rodgers is a proven loser.  Fields still hasn’t had enough reps to prove that he is a loser, too.  It’s possible he’s a bigger loser than Rodgers.  Time will tell
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #566 on: August 18, 2022, 10:32:57 AM »
Rodgers is a proven loser.  Fields still hasn’t had enough reps to prove that he is a loser, too.  It’s possible he’s a bigger loser than Rodgers.  Time will tell
As a Bears fan, I'd take that proven loser every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #567 on: August 18, 2022, 10:54:55 AM »
Not at all.
When you're the greatest winner in the history of the sport and a guy with a famed work ethic dedication to his craft, it buys a ton of credibility when it comes to setting and enforcing high expectations for teammates.

On the other hand, when you're a guy who consistently underachieves when it matters most and spends the offseason tripping in Peru, people tend to take you a little less seriously when you complain about others not living up to your expectations.

You don't have to like it, but them's the facts.

The point I'm making is that ESPN has a clear anti-Rodgers slant in almost all of it's writing.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #568 on: August 18, 2022, 11:07:11 AM »
As a Bears fan, I'd take that proven loser every day of the week and twice on Sundays.

If you like meaningless stats, he’s your guy

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #569 on: August 18, 2022, 11:19:35 AM »
Watson gets 11 games and a $5 million fine. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #570 on: August 18, 2022, 11:33:18 AM »
The point I'm making is that ESPN has a clear anti-Rodgers slant in almost all of it's writing.

I'm not sure which ESPN writing you're referring to. In the instance I reference, Rodgers went off in public. Everyone saw the video, which spoke for itself.

The media does eat that stuff up because it's so much juicier than usual QB-speak or coach-speak, but stuff like that is almost always better handled face-to-face and in private.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #571 on: August 18, 2022, 11:40:04 AM »
Watson gets 11 games and a $5 million fine.

Got off easy.

Edit: wasn’t meant to be a pun.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #572 on: August 18, 2022, 11:53:02 AM »
Got off easy.

Edit: wasn’t meant to be a pun.

I thought so.

The whole thing is gross.  I want to come down on the NFL but I’m not sure what other recourse they have other than to blackball Watson.  That was off the table once Cleveland gave him that crazy deal. 

He’s a predator and an example of how talent will always trump doing the right thing with regards to employing athletes.  The NFL might care about women but they prove time and time again they might not.

It’s sad they won’t actually be hurt financially by this but will be business as usual.  There’s a whole topic worth of items that make sports leagues gross but the majority of the world simply doesn’t care.  I have no moral high ground here.  I have little doubt the NFL will be on in my house this year

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #573 on: August 18, 2022, 11:58:54 AM »
I thought so.

The whole thing is gross.  I want to come down on the NFL but I’m not sure what other recourse they have other than to blackball Watson.  That was off the table once Cleveland gave him that crazy deal. 

He’s a predator and an example of how talent will always trump doing the right thing with regards to employing athletes.  The NFL might care about women but they prove time and time again they might not.

It’s sad they won’t actually be hurt financially by this but will be business as usual.  There’s a whole topic worth of items that make sports leagues gross but the majority of the world simply doesn’t care.  I have no moral high ground here.  I have little doubt the NFL will be on in my house this year

Yep.

I also don't understand what makes the NFL think having the owners issue statements like this is a good idea.

https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1560301469030653954?s=20&t=l2QgKTOm83f9SWMp65_-QQ

Everyone knows they aren't going to invest significant time or money into that. Why even say something that ridiculous?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #574 on: August 18, 2022, 12:11:45 PM »
I thought so.

This is dead on.  Its disappointing but its also straight in line with the precedent that the NFL has set forever.  And also why I find it hard to gin up the same level of negative feelings and outrage for the LIV Tour as some do.  Not that I embrace it, I just kind of shrug.  I think...

1) sportwashing is overblown, IMO,  because I find it hard to believe that people would ever have their feelings significantly changed about a country's reputation cause they owned a soccer club or a golf tour.

2) Professional sports is overrun with unsavory activity and detestable characters, whether athletes, governing bodies, or ownership.  And its not a uniquely American thing.  Look at European soccer.  Look at scandals and ownership in top level cricket.  The list goes on and on.  Love of sport, and the money that comes with it, trumps all.