[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2022-2023 NFL Season  (Read 123462 times)

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
Re: 2022-2023 NFL Season
« Reply #100 on: March 08, 2022, 01:06:12 PM »
Dominoes are falling!

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #101 on: March 08, 2022, 01:08:51 PM »
We talked about this a lot, 99.9% of players who try to burn down their franchise the morning of the draft will not be employed by said team much longer. However, with Rodgers, the one thing that was always going to bring him back was a massive new contract. I'm skeptical that the final numbers will be 4 years/$200 mil with the $153 fully guaranteed upfront. I'd expect this to be a four year, year to year deal, where by Rodgers signing bonus pays out in installments every March 1st going forward, and the "will he come back?" narrative will play out each year still moving forward, but gives the team some level of protection from cap hell.

Early reports were a $55 Mil signing bonus payed immediately w/ $2 million salary for '22.

We'll see if that is correct. I expect he will play 3 years and then mull retirement. I doubt if he will ever play for a different team.

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #102 on: March 08, 2022, 01:09:58 PM »
I mean, if you consider paying a QB a bad thing and don't care much about on-field performance, sure.
But otherwise, I'm not so sure that the guy with the worst QBR in the NFL last season is better than Aaron Rodgers.
As for the importance of age and contract, only two of the last 15 Super Bowl winning QBs were on the first contract and/or under the age of 27.

https://twitter.com/michaeldavsmith/status/1136709172446269444

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #103 on: March 08, 2022, 01:21:36 PM »
Hoo boy, Denver went all in like nobody's gone all in since the Herschel Walker trade.

Seattle gets QB Drew Lock, TE Noah Fant, DL Shelby Harris, two first-round picks, two second-round picks and a fifth-round pick.

Denver gets Russell Wilson and a fourth-round pick.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #104 on: March 08, 2022, 01:27:29 PM »
Hoo boy, Denver went all in like nobody's gone all in since the Herschel Walker trade.

Seattle gets QB Drew Lock, TE Noah Fant, DL Shelby Harris, two first-round picks, two second-round picks and a fifth-round pick.

Seahawks got better today while the Packers got worse
Ramsey will bring Marquette great glory

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #105 on: March 08, 2022, 01:31:14 PM »

That’s a lot more than I’d be willing to part ways with for someone who might be washed up.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #106 on: March 08, 2022, 01:32:05 PM »
Seahawks got better today while the Packers got worse

You think having Love or Locke at QB makes GB better?

I know you don't like ARod, but that is next level crazy.

Drew Locke is not leading Seattle to the promised land. Plus, there are no franchise QBs for them to grab with the picks they got back.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #107 on: March 08, 2022, 01:33:47 PM »

Drew Locke is not leading Seattle to the promised land. Plus, there are no franchise QBs for them to grab with the picks they got back.

Seattle got rid of a malcontent and can start fresh.  Short term pain for long term gain

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #108 on: March 08, 2022, 01:42:55 PM »

Homestead High School stand up!  Dude had a really roundabout path to being a regular NFL contributor but made the most of his chances in a couple marquee spots.  Good for him for getting past some immaturity and "character" issues in his youth

Great move for the Seahawks.  They can see what they have in Locke and Eason for a season while they figure out if Carson will ever not be made of glass.  They upgrade a weak TE position.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #109 on: March 08, 2022, 01:44:09 PM »

I'd be surprised if Seattle sees Lock as their longtime answer at QB. He's the least valuable asset they received in this deal.
But they get two good starters (Fant and Harris) and the #9 and #40 picks in the upcoming draft, which should mean two more young starters if they don't mess it up.
Then they get Denver's first two picks in 2023. Russ is great and all, but the AFC West is going to be a murderer's row next year, so those easily could be a top 20 and a top 50 pick, or better ... and hence two more young starters if Seattle picks well.
That's a heck of a start to what was an inevitable rebuilding process. As has been noted, Seattle likely wasn't going to win with Russ anyhow.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #110 on: March 08, 2022, 01:47:46 PM »
Seattle got rid of a malcontent and can start fresh.  Short term pain for long term gain

Yeah, I was hoping GB would rip off that bandaid this year

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #111 on: March 08, 2022, 01:49:04 PM »
If I'm Tom Brady, I'm coming back immediately and negotiating my exit out of Tampa and out to San Francisco.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #112 on: March 08, 2022, 01:57:44 PM »

Lots of teams have gone for decades without a franchise-type QB.

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #113 on: March 08, 2022, 02:03:14 PM »
Lots of teams have gone for decades without a franchise-type QB.

Listen, I know Packers fans can’t see Rodgers for what he is.  I get it.  I’m a recovering fan looking to come back to the family after he’s gone but he’s not taking this team to the promised land.  And after they come up short again in 2022, how long will they have to wait next off-season for him to decide if he wants to retire or not like 4?

If we’re so concerned the franchise can’t find another qb, then maybe that says the front office isn’t any good.  It’s time to say good bye and thank him for all the cool regular season stats.

JWags85

• All American

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #115 on: March 08, 2022, 02:38:05 PM »
the pack has at least one more year to "hope" as opposed to what most other teams do not have.  if we had jordan love, we have no hope.  that's a lost season.  yeah, i guess it sucks to be the best team in the NFL only to lose in 1st or 2nd round, but still have that chance most other teams don't.  i'll go with the former every day
don't...don't don't don't don't

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #116 on: March 08, 2022, 04:08:16 PM »
I'd be surprised if Seattle sees Lock as their longtime answer at QB. He's the least valuable asset they received in this deal.
But they get two good starters (Fant and Harris) and the #9 and #40 picks in the upcoming draft, which should mean two more young starters if they don't mess it up.
Then they get Denver's first two picks in 2023. Russ is great and all, but the AFC West is going to be a murderer's row next year, so those easily could be a top 20 and a top 50 pick, or better ... and hence two more young starters if Seattle picks well.
That's a heck of a start to what was an inevitable rebuilding process. As has been noted, Seattle likely wasn't going to win with Russ anyhow.

Stroud or Young may be franchise QBs when/if they come out next year, but it is doubtful Seattle will be bad enough this year to be in position to get either. So they are getting a good young piece in Fant and 4 high picks, but not a QB to tie it together. They will be able to re-build an awful defense, but it will be like watching the Bears on offense.

Still, a great trade for both teams.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #117 on: March 08, 2022, 04:10:03 PM »
::)

https://twitter.com/AaronRodgers12/status/1501282463632568322?s=20&t=FbNDXmmBq-i-BeC_VKePKQ

He hasn't signed yet. When he does, Schefter will be the first to announce it with the actual terms of the deal.

Jockey

• All American
« Reply #118 on: March 08, 2022, 04:12:31 PM »
Since Peyton Manning retired in 2015, Denver has had the following QBs:
Trevor Siemian
Paxton Lynch
Brock Osweiler
Case Keenum
Drew Lock
Joe Flacco
Brandon Allen
Jeff Driskel
Brett Rypien
Teddy Bridgewater

That could be Seattle for the next half dozen years.

The Athletic gave a B+ grade to Denver and a D to Seattle. Maybe a little harsh, but of the 20 teams that have made the championship round in the last five years, 18 (90%) had an offense that finished in the top quarter (8th or better) in Football Outsiders’ DVOA metric. I don't expect Seattle to do that for several years.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 04:17:16 PM by Jockey »

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #119 on: March 08, 2022, 04:23:51 PM »
The Jordan Love pick worked out beautifully.

jsonline agrees with you
In the two seasons since general manager Brian Gutekunst stunned the NFL by trading up to select Love in the first round of the 2020 draft, Aaron Rodgers has returned to MVP form and now is on the verge of signing a contract extension with the Packers.

How many first-round picks can say they’ve had that kind of impact on their team? Because to think the Love pick had nothing to do with Rodgers’ play ignores basic human nature. Rodgers wanted to put himself back in the driver’s seat and stick it to Gutekunst from the moment the GM drafted Love. The only way to do that was to play great football.

This was Tom Brady-Jimmy Garoppolo all over again.

“As for the narrative Love was a wasted a pick, I disagree,” a former GM in the league said Tuesday. “That pick totally refocused and refreshed Rodgers as a player and as a competitor.”

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #120 on: March 08, 2022, 04:27:18 PM »
Since Peyton Manning retired in 2015, Denver has had the following QBs:
Trevor Siemian
Paxton Lynch
Brock Osweiler
Case Keenum
Drew Lock
Joe Flacco
Brandon Allen
Jeff Driskel
Brett Rypien
Teddy Bridgewater

That could be Seattle for the next half dozen years.

The Athletic gave a B+ grade to Denver and a D to Seattle. Maybe a little harsh, but of the 20 teams that have made the championship round in the last five years, 18 (90%) had an offense that finished in the top quarter (8th or better) in Football Outsiders’ DVOA metric. I don't expect Seattle to do that for several years.

It’s a good thing Seattle drafted Russell Wilson in the 3rd round.  The GOAT was a 6th round pick.

Mahomes and Allen had as many questions as answers when they were drafted.

Seattle shedded an overpriced QB and can begin a rebuild.  Smart to cut bait instead of keeping around a QB for nostalgia sake

BrewCity83

• All American
« Reply #121 on: March 08, 2022, 04:37:06 PM »
jsonline agrees with you
In the two seasons since general manager Brian Gutekunst stunned the NFL by trading up to select Love in the first round of the 2020 draft, Aaron Rodgers has returned to MVP form and now is on the verge of signing a contract extension with the Packers.

How many first-round picks can say they’ve had that kind of impact on their team? Because to think the Love pick had nothing to do with Rodgers’ play ignores basic human nature. Rodgers wanted to put himself back in the driver’s seat and stick it to Gutekunst from the moment the GM drafted Love. The only way to do that was to play great football.

This was Tom Brady-Jimmy Garoppolo all over again.

“As for the narrative Love was a wasted a pick, I disagree,” a former GM in the league said Tuesday. “That pick totally refocused and refreshed Rodgers as a player and as a competitor.”

This is a brilliant take.
The shaka sign, sometimes known as "hang loose", is a gesture of friendly intent often associated with Hawaii and surf culture.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #122 on: March 08, 2022, 04:45:51 PM »
Stroud or Young may be franchise QBs when/if they come out next year, but it is doubtful Seattle will be bad enough this year to be in position to get either. So they are getting a good young piece in Fant and 4 high picks, but not a QB to tie it together. They will be able to re-build an awful defense, but it will be like watching the Bears on offense.

Still, a great trade for both teams.

Seattle may not be bad enough next year to get a top 3 pick, but thanks to this trade they'll have the draft capital to move up and get one of those picks.
Then again, they might be bad enough to get a top 3 pick on their own. NFC West is tough and the Seahawks have to play the AFC West next year, which is probably 4 losses.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #123 on: March 08, 2022, 06:01:04 PM »
Seattle may not be bad enough next year to get a top 3 pick, but thanks to this trade they'll have the draft capital to move up and get one of those picks.
Then again, they might be bad enough to get a top 3 pick on their own. NFC West is tough and the Seahawks have to play the AFC West next year, which is probably 4 losses.

They also get the NFC South, Detroit, and both NYC teams.

I do wonder if they’ll try to move Metcalf. He’ll be in the final year of his rookie deal and I’m not sure what his trade value will be based on him needing a new contract. Vegas would be an interesting landing spot for Metcalf.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #124 on: March 08, 2022, 09:19:05 PM »
I do wonder if they’ll try to move Metcalf. He’ll be in the final year of his rookie deal and I’m not sure what his trade value will be based on him needing a new contract. Vegas would be an interesting landing spot for Metcalf

Metcalf might be one of the players worth keeping, given his age. Lockett would seem the guy Seattle would want to deal.
That said, any trade for Metcalf might need to be predicated on having an extension in place. Not sure Seattle could get value for him otherwise.

feedback