collapse

* Recent Posts

[Paint Touches] Big East programs ranked by NBA representation by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[Today at 12:00:10 AM]

So....What are we ranked on Monday - 11/1/2024? by TAMU, Knower of Ball
[April 28, 2024, 11:58:04 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 09:55:19 PM]

Banquet by Skatastrophy
[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2022-2023 NFL Season  (Read 125255 times)

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
Re: 2022-2023 NFL Season
« Reply #875 on: October 02, 2022, 06:25:45 PM »
Mason with a probably comfortable FG attempt if MLF doesn’t challenge that obviously incomplete pass.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #876 on: October 02, 2022, 06:25:53 PM »
That timeout would have been real nice to have had there.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #877 on: October 02, 2022, 06:31:56 PM »
The Packers bypassing the fair catch/free kick option at the end of regulation was stupid. Not Matt LaFleur’s finest hour here.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #878 on: October 02, 2022, 07:27:19 PM »
I guess he was better than last week (when he had 2 fumbles and 2 interceptions) but he was still awful.

He made a couple of nice throws and ran intelligently.  Its something...considering the Giants were in the backfield faster and more often. than watching UGA play FCS Southeast.

I never said he was great, or even good.  He airmailed a throw that made me scream.  But he also had receivers dropping straight forward catches and had to run for his life multiple times every drive.

A rookie 4th round nobody small colleges QB for New England is a better QB than Fields. So is Davis Mills  So is Cooper Rush.

Zappe was CUSA player of the year at Western Kentucky, not like he was at Carroll College.  And he threw for under 100 yards, but yes, definitely the second coming.

And Cooper Rush is in his 7th NFL season.  7 years in the same franchise, seeing NFL defenses every week in practice, not thrust in to a crap team with no experience, not exactly a great comparison.

But yes, we get it, you think Fields is the worst QB to ever start in the NFC North.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #879 on: October 02, 2022, 07:30:46 PM »
He made a couple of nice throws and ran intelligently.  Its something...considering the Giants were in the backfield faster and more often. than watching UGA play FCS Southeast.

I never said he was great, or even good.  He airmailed a throw that made me scream.  But he also had receivers dropping straight forward catches and had to run for his life multiple times every drive.

Zappe was CUSA player of the year at Western Kentucky, not like he was at Carroll College.  And he threw for under 100 yards, but yes, definitely the second coming.

And Cooper Rush is in his 7th NFL season.  7 years in the same franchise, seeing NFL defenses every week in practice, not thrust in to a crap team with no experience, not exactly a great comparison.

But yes, we get it, you think Fields is the worst QB to ever start in the NFC North.

He isn’t inspiring any confidence if I’m a bears fan, even with the caveats
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #880 on: October 02, 2022, 08:08:25 PM »
My lord Mahomes.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole

• All American
  • “Good lord, you are an idiot.” - real chili 83
« Reply #881 on: October 02, 2022, 08:09:50 PM »
The Packers bypassing the fair catch/free kick option at the end of regulation was stupid. Not Matt LaFleur’s finest hour here.

I think that’s what they wanted to do but the punt was so short that Rodgers couldn’t get up to catch it.
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #882 on: October 02, 2022, 08:10:46 PM »
My lord Mahomes.

I just happened to flip it on a few mins ago.  That was seriously ridiculous.  And the Bears could have had him.  Smh. 

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #883 on: October 02, 2022, 08:26:37 PM »
And the Bears could have had him.  Smh.
I think it is a felony in Illinois to speak or write that.

MuggsyB

• All American
« Reply #884 on: October 02, 2022, 08:37:22 PM »
I think it is a felony in Illinois to speak or write that.

I'll admit to not knowing much about football but there is no explanation for trading up to take Trubisky in that draft with Mahomes or Watson available.  And I believe Mahomes had an impeccable reputation off the field and was extremely impressive at all the workouts. The Bears would likely have 2 or more SB's in the last 5 yrs if they took Mahomes. 

Billy Hoyle

• All American
  • Retire #34
« Reply #885 on: October 02, 2022, 08:59:13 PM »
I'll admit to not knowing much about football but there is no explanation for trading up to take Trubisky in that draft with Mahomes or Watson available.  And I believe Mahomes had an impeccable reputation off the field and was extremely impressive at all the workouts. The Bears would likely have 2 or more SB's in the last 5 yrs if they took Mahomes.

The biggest issue scouts had with Mahomes was the Texas Tech system he played in and his accuracy with the deep ball coming from that system.

Trubiskey though, that’s inexplicable
“You either smoke or you get smoked. And you got smoked.”

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #886 on: October 02, 2022, 09:32:29 PM »
This is just a clinic the Chiefs are putting on. I think we’ll look back in two months and wonder how the hell the Colts beat the Chiefs.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #887 on: October 02, 2022, 09:34:37 PM »
This is just a clinic the Chiefs are putting on. I think we’ll look back in two months and wonder how the hell the Colts beat the Chiefs.

Dish

I wondering right now.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #888 on: October 02, 2022, 09:49:03 PM »
Trubiskey though, that’s inexplicable
Understatement  of the century. Top 5 wost trades/drafts ever.

Jockey

• All American
  • “We want to get rid of the ballots"
« Reply #889 on: October 02, 2022, 09:51:03 PM »

A little heavy on the exaggeration - even to make a point.

You make the same excuses for Fields as others did for Trubisky. But he has been terrible.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #890 on: October 02, 2022, 09:56:19 PM »

I don’t know, Wags. He’s capable of the big play, but he also makes a ton of big mistakes. And I don’t trust his accuracy or his decision making. Hope to be proven wrong.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #891 on: October 02, 2022, 11:50:50 PM »
A little heavy on the exaggeration - even to make a point.

You make the same excuses for Fields as others did for Trubisky. But he has been terrible.

Fair enough.

And I never made excuses for Trubisky.  I was NEVER sold on him.  And there are no excuses today, I never even said he was good, I just said that he was getting absolutely bum rushed, which isn't an excuse.  Its just fact.  The Giants' blitz was as repeatedly effective as Jones running outside.  Fields rarely had time to even look downfield, much less throw a good ball.

Fields played at a high level in college (which I know doesn't mean squat in the NFL) so he has a track record of shining in the moment against high level talent.  Couple that with I still think his skill set is incredibly intriguing with a high ceiling, and I'm just not ready to throw dirt on the guy after less than 15 starts.

I don’t know, Wags. He’s capable of the big play, but he also makes a ton of big mistakes. And I don’t trust his accuracy or his decision making. Hope to be proven wrong.

I dont disagree with any of that.  Like I said before, thats why I'm looking at games and looking for "ok he did that better."  "This was promising" instead of "this guy is absolutely terrible, this franchise is doomed". Look at Josh Allen.  His Rookie year on a bad team was HORRIFIC.  Then midway through Year 2 he figured it out and then here we are.  I'm not saying Fields is gonna be an All Pro in 2-3 years, but he'd not be the first top 10 QB in a rough situation to figure it out and become a great player.

His accuracy is very concerning.  The decision making can come.  I just hope Getsy can scheme him gameplans to make him effective.  They opened him up to start the game and he made good throws.  We'll see.  TBD still for me.

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #892 on: October 03, 2022, 05:29:55 AM »
Should be an interesting game next week: Packers vs. Giants in London; a 9:30/8:30 ET/CT start in London. Dallas owned the Giant offensive line and their defense can be sloppy at times, but who would have thought the Giants would be 3-1 at this juncture. I think the Pack should win this game, but then again I am so used to the Giants losing I think any team they play should win the game. Maybe this season will be different.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #893 on: October 03, 2022, 06:14:33 AM »
Should be an interesting game next week: Packers vs. Giants in London; a 9:30/8:30 ET/CT start in London. Dallas owned the Giant offensive line and their defense can be sloppy at times, but who would have thought the Giants would be 3-1 at this juncture. I think the Pack should win this game, but then again I am so used to the Giants losing I think any team they play should win the game. Maybe this season will be different.

Do the Giants have a third-string QB playing the majority of the game?  Otherwise, they’ll be fine.  The Packers are terrible

tower912

• All American
« Reply #894 on: October 03, 2022, 06:18:56 AM »
Do the Giants have a third-string QB playing the majority of the game?  Otherwise, they’ll be fine.  The Packers are terrible
The Lions would still give up 35 to the third string QB.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #895 on: October 03, 2022, 07:13:56 AM »
The Lions would still give up 35 to the third string QB.

Probably

MU82

• All American
« Reply #896 on: October 03, 2022, 07:53:18 AM »
In the second half of yesterday's loss to mediocre Arizona, Panthers fans booed Baker Mayfield and chanted that the coach should be fired.

I was there, and neither booed nor chanted, but I don't blame fans for being restless. This season's product, much like the previous two seasons under Matt Rhule, has been both bad and boring. And Mayfield has been worse than I thought he'd be ... and I came in with pretty low expectations.

A lot had to go right for the Panthers to have a winning record this season. Mayfield being very good was one of those things. He hasn't been. So after four games, the season already feels like it's over and we're now down to waiting for the coach to get fired. Fun!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MUBurrow

• All American
« Reply #897 on: October 03, 2022, 08:54:44 AM »

And I never made excuses for Trubisky.  I was NEVER sold on him.  And there are no excuses today, I never even said he was good, I just said that he was getting absolutely bum rushed, which isn't an excuse.  Its just fact.  The Giants' blitz was as repeatedly effective as Jones running outside.  Fields rarely had time to even look downfield, much less throw a good ball.

The bolded is where its at for me.  The worst part about teams starting young QBs behind crappy offensive lines multiple years in a row early in their development is that you end up having QBs bounce out of the league with grades of "Incomplete."  I'm of the pretty firm belief that not having time to throw for the first two or three years of QB's career ruins him to the point where we don't know how good he ever could have been.  The window of opportunity to start at QB is generally so short that ruined young QBs don't have an opportunity to unlearn the skiddishness and bad habits. Or they just end up bouncing from one crappy team with a crappy O-Line to another, so its not like we get a real read.  I feel like Sam Darnold is in this category.  I definitely think he had the skills and swagger to be good, but playing for bad Jets and Panthers teams just ruined him to the point where he'd basically have to be the backup on a competent franchise for like 3-5 years to have any hopes of meaningfully developing.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #898 on: October 03, 2022, 09:50:33 AM »

He might be!

The bolded is where its at for me.  The worst part about teams starting young QBs behind crappy offensive lines multiple years in a row early in their development is that you end up having QBs bounce out of the league with grades of "Incomplete."  I'm of the pretty firm belief that not having time to throw for the first two or three years of QB's career ruins him to the point where we don't know how good he ever could have been.  The window of opportunity to start at QB is generally so short that ruined young QBs don't have an opportunity to unlearn the skiddishness and bad habits. Or they just end up bouncing from one crappy team with a crappy O-Line to another, so its not like we get a real read.  I feel like Sam Darnold is in this category.  I definitely think he had the skills and swagger to be good, but playing for bad Jets and Panthers teams just ruined him to the point where he'd basically have to be the backup on a competent franchise for like 3-5 years to have any hopes of meaningfully developing.

Meh.  If you're good you're good.  Joe Burrow played behind a porous offensive line to start his career (and continues to do so) and is a stud, even after tearing his ACL.  Kyler Murray played behind a bad offensive line to start his career and is at least a solid quarterback.  Of course it helps to have an awesome offensive line.  But most teams drafting at the top (where most of the best quarterbacks will be drafted) don't have good offensive lines.  If you're a stud, you usually figure it out.

Yes, the Bears offensive line stinks and Fields has to run for his life at times.  But there are also times where he doesn't make his read when he has the opportunity, then tries to scramble, and ends up getting sacked.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #899 on: October 03, 2022, 10:11:17 AM »

So we both agree, both 3-1 teams are terrible; and yes, the Giants just may have their 3rd string QB playing on Sunday.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 10:12:52 AM by muwarrior69 »