[April 28, 2024, 06:50:03 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Juan Anderson's Mixtape
[April 28, 2024, 06:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by MU82
[April 28, 2024, 06:32:11 PM]

D-I Logo Quiz by SoCalEagle
[April 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2022-2023 NFL Season  (Read 125345 times)

Hards Alumni

• All American
Re: 2022-2023 NFL Season
« Reply #2550 on: February 01, 2023, 12:37:18 PM »
Tom Brady retires "for good."

Absolutely amazing story of a man who was willing to trade his marriage, family, and possibly his health to play in a single playoff game.

Should be made into a movie.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2551 on: February 01, 2023, 12:39:04 PM »
NY Times lead:

Tom Brady, one of the world’s most decorated professional athletes and widely viewed as the greatest player in N.F.L. history, announced Wednesday that he would retire. For good this time.

Is Brady actually "the greatest player in NFL history"? I'd certainly say he is the most accomplished player ever, and almost surely the best QB ever, but I don't know about the greatest player ever. One could argue that a whole lot of players were superior athletes who accomplished amazing things but simply weren't in a position to win as much -- Jim Brown, Walter Payton, Lawrence Taylor and Reggie White immediately spring to mind, and I sure there are others.

I guess it's one of those semantics things. And given that he won 7 Super Bowls, has just about every passing record possible, and played at a very high level for 23 years, I wouldn't try to claim he's not the greatest ever.

Bo Jackson is the greatest football player of all time.  I firmly believe this.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2552 on: February 01, 2023, 12:52:27 PM »
NY Times lead:

Tom Brady, one of the world’s most decorated professional athletes and widely viewed as the greatest player in N.F.L. history, announced Wednesday that he would retire. For good this time.

Is Brady actually "the greatest player in NFL history"? I'd certainly say he is the most accomplished player ever, and almost surely the best QB ever, but I don't know about the greatest player ever. One could argue that a whole lot of players were superior athletes who accomplished amazing things but simply weren't in a position to win as much -- Jim Brown, Walter Payton, Lawrence Taylor and Reggie White immediately spring to mind, and I sure there are others.

I guess it's one of those semantics things. And given that he won 7 Super Bowls, has just about every passing record possible, and played at a very high level for 23 years, I wouldn't try to claim he's not the greatest ever.
In my view , Brady is the greatest player in NFL History. Sustained excellence at the premium position in a violent sport, over 23 years, is a monumental achievement. Going into this past season, he was voted by his NFL Peers as the Number 1 ranked player in the NFL. That is quite a statement for any player , much less someone 45. Brady was a flat out winner .

I am also glad Brady is bowing out now and not becoming like Johnny Unitas, Willie Mays , Hank Aaron or other all time greats who hung on a couple years too long.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2553 on: February 01, 2023, 12:59:56 PM »
In my view , Brady is the greatest player in NFL History. Sustained excellence at the premium position in a violent sport, over 23 years, is a monumental achievement. Going into this past season, he was voted by his NFL Peers as the Number 1 ranked player in the NFL. That is quite a statement for any player , much less someone 45. Brady was a flat out winner .

I am also glad Brady is bowing out now and not becoming like Johnny Unitas, Willie Mays , Hank Aaron or other all time greats who hung on a couple years too long.

Reasonable take, 9-9-9.

I'm sticking with Don Majkowski, but Brady is way up there!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2554 on: February 01, 2023, 01:17:09 PM »

Was that vote done by his peers in Tampa?  Cause ranking someone who wasn't even top 5 at his position in any meaningful category other than yards because he threw 50 times more than anyone else and hadn't won an MVP in 5 years...when a QB did every year in that span, is media puff nonsense.

If you polled the NFL offices and said you could choose one player on your team for 2022, nobody is choosing Brady over Mahomes, Aaron Donald, or TJ Watt, among others.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2555 on: February 01, 2023, 02:50:15 PM »
Asking those with legal expertise in here, the news about Eagles OL Josh Sills today, how coincidental is it that charges were reported and pushed forward in the days following their SB berth?  I'm not at all saying its a cash grab (especially for a nobody OL with hardly any playing time) or anything of that regard, its just interesting that a 3.5 year old incident began moving forward now.  Does hoping it gets more attention, given the Eagles situation, play into it?  Regardless, the testimony and descriptions are gross.

"Fun" fact, Sills hometown in Nowhereville, Ohio is also the hometown of Dom Capers.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2556 on: February 01, 2023, 03:09:55 PM »
Asking those with legal expertise in here, the news about Eagles OL Josh Sills today, how coincidental is it that charges were reported and pushed forward in the days following their SB berth?  I'm not at all saying its a cash grab (especially for a nobody OL with hardly any playing time) or anything of that regard, its just interesting that a 3.5 year old incident began moving forward now.  Does hoping it gets more attention, given the Eagles situation, play into it?  Regardless, the testimony and descriptions are gross.

"Fun" fact, Sills hometown in Nowhereville, Ohio is also the hometown of Dom Capers.

According to a CNN story:

The Ohio AG’s office said the alleged 2019 rape was immediately reported and an investigation by the Guernsey County Sheriff’s office subsequently ensued.

Also, it's my understanding that this came via grand jury indictment, so it's likely been in the works for weeks. Could the Ohio AG  have rushed the indictment the past couple of days to garner himself some extra publicity? Perhaps. He does seem like a clown and he hasn't won himself many female fans in recent months. But that's pretty cynical.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2557 on: February 01, 2023, 04:32:23 PM »
Was that vote done by his peers in Tampa?  Cause ranking someone who wasn't even top 5 at his position in any meaningful category other than yards because he threw 50 times more than anyone else and hadn't won an MVP in 5 years...when a QB did every year in that span, is media puff nonsense.

If you polled the NFL offices and said you could choose one player on your team for 2022, nobody is choosing Brady over Mahomes, Aaron Donald, or TJ Watt, among others.
Here is the actual poll. Done by the NFL every year. Players vote.
https://www.nfl.com/news/top-100-players-of-2022-nos-10-1-tom-brady-no-1-one-more-time
            ---Al McGuire

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2558 on: February 01, 2023, 05:19:41 PM »
I'm no huge fan of Brady and don't have him #1 of all time, but even I can say that the discussions, Ive heard on the radio and seen on social media, with him and Jeter are preposterous.  Jeter isn't the best SS of his generation, much less of all time.  Hell, there is another HOF Yankees SS who has lead the Yankees to more titles AND won an MVP.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2559 on: February 01, 2023, 05:47:10 PM »
Trivia . Brady was the last Montreal Expo Draft Pick Active in Professional Sports.

https://nypost.com/2023/02/01/tom-brady-leaves-nfl-as-last-montreal-expos-pick-to-retire/
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2560 on: February 01, 2023, 10:09:42 PM »
I'm no huge fan of Brady and don't have him #1 of all time, but even I can say that the discussions, Ive heard on the radio and seen on social media, with him and Jeter are preposterous.  Jeter isn't the best SS of his generation, much less of all time.  Hell, there is another HOF Yankees SS who has lead the Yankees to more titles AND won an MVP.

Are there really people claiming that Derek Jeter is the best baseball player ever or the best Yankee ever?

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2561 on: February 01, 2023, 10:13:05 PM »
Are there really people claiming that Derek Jeter is the best baseball player ever or the best Yankee ever?
Derek Jeter would not even be in the top 20 all time Yankees .
            ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2562 on: February 02, 2023, 08:39:22 AM »
Not surprisingly, Olsen is handling the impending arrival of Brady with class, honesty and pragmatism. Here's what he told The Athletic:

“From the very beginning, I understand the landscape. Again, it’s not a matter of liking it. It’s not a matter of, ‘Oh man, I’m so happy for Tom. He’s going to do great.’ It’s a matter of just being realistic and understanding that when Tom Brady agrees to potentially be your No. 1 analyst and sit in the booth and all that he brings in with his reputation and whatnot, I get it. To expect someone to not go that route seems pretty delusional. I always try to be very honest with myself, and I always feel I need to be honest with my situations because if not, you’re really setting yourself up for disappointment. I know what I signed up for.

“I knew this year was going to be a weird year because I was going to answer this question every single time. I’ve said this to Kevin. (Fox play-by-play guy Kevin Burkhardt.) My only option right now to make a career out of this is to be good. That’s it. I didn’t play quarterback. I didn’t play for the Dallas Cowboys. I don’t have a gold jacket on. I didn’t play in New York City. The only way I can do this is if I’m good. Whether that’s good enough in the long run, I don’t know. All I can control is going out there and having fun and giving a fun broadcast.

“In regard to Tom, if he comes in and he takes it, I get it. I don’t ask anyone to feel bad for me. And I’m not going to feel bad for myself. Will I be disappointed? Would I rather sit next to Kevin for the next 20 years? Of course. I’m not going to sit here and sound stupid and be like, ‘You know, just doing this for one year was plenty.’ Like, no, screw that. I’d like to do this for 20 years. I’d like to call 10 Super Bowls. Whether that happens or not, I don’t know. I don’t control it. But the second I spend all my energy worrying about what Tom does and worrying about my job security and who’s going to be in my seat, then I’m not going to be very effective. I just don’t know how else to describe it. I’ve come to grips with it, and I’m going to make it hard as hell on them to try to replace me.”

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2563 on: February 02, 2023, 09:50:56 AM »
Impossible to not like Greg Olsen.  G-Reg from the 7th Floor Crew has turned into the benchmark for class, making the most of your station, and what a pro can be.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2564 on: February 02, 2023, 10:14:38 AM »
A guy being promoted to the top with no prior experience or success?

We used to have a meritocracy in this country

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2565 on: February 02, 2023, 10:37:34 AM »
Not surprisingly, Olsen is handling the impending arrival of Brady with class, honesty and pragmatism. Here's what he told The Athletic:

“From the very beginning, I understand the landscape. Again, it’s not a matter of liking it. It’s not a matter of, ‘Oh man, I’m so happy for Tom. He’s going to do great.’ It’s a matter of just being realistic and understanding that when Tom Brady agrees to potentially be your No. 1 analyst and sit in the booth and all that he brings in with his reputation and whatnot, I get it. To expect someone to not go that route seems pretty delusional. I always try to be very honest with myself, and I always feel I need to be honest with my situations because if not, you’re really setting yourself up for disappointment. I know what I signed up for.

“I knew this year was going to be a weird year because I was going to answer this question every single time. I’ve said this to Kevin. (Fox play-by-play guy Kevin Burkhardt.) My only option right now to make a career out of this is to be good. That’s it. I didn’t play quarterback. I didn’t play for the Dallas Cowboys. I don’t have a gold jacket on. I didn’t play in New York City. The only way I can do this is if I’m good. Whether that’s good enough in the long run, I don’t know. All I can control is going out there and having fun and giving a fun broadcast.

“In regard to Tom, if he comes in and he takes it, I get it. I don’t ask anyone to feel bad for me. And I’m not going to feel bad for myself. Will I be disappointed? Would I rather sit next to Kevin for the next 20 years? Of course. I’m not going to sit here and sound stupid and be like, ‘You know, just doing this for one year was plenty.’ Like, no, screw that. I’d like to do this for 20 years. I’d like to call 10 Super Bowls. Whether that happens or not, I don’t know. I don’t control it. But the second I spend all my energy worrying about what Tom does and worrying about my job security and who’s going to be in my seat, then I’m not going to be very effective. I just don’t know how else to describe it. I’ve come to grips with it, and I’m going to make it hard as hell on them to try to replace me.”

Incredibly graceful and emotionally mature.

But he's getting done dirty.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2566 on: February 02, 2023, 10:37:53 AM »
A guy being promoted to the top with no prior experience or success?

We used to have a meritocracy in this country

No we didn't.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2567 on: February 02, 2023, 10:57:44 AM »

Not really. This is exactly what he signed up for.
So much so, that he included in his Fox contract a clause that allows him to bolt to another network if offered a spot in their #1 booth.
Don't cry for G-Reg.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 11:00:59 AM by Pakuni »

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2568 on: February 02, 2023, 11:05:44 AM »

Even more so cause not only was Olsen known as a good interview and media soundbite guy as a player (which Brady never has been, Olsen is natural and charming, Brady has always been measured and robotic), Olsen started doing commentary work on bye weeks his last couple of years.  He was both auditioning and practicing for the gig.  And then excelled once he started.  And Brady is just falling into it.

I said it when it was announced, but the deal/position always seemed weird.  If they gave that contract to Peyton Manning before retired, I would have got it.  Someone like Richard Sherman, again could understand it.  Brady just always seemed weird to anoint as the next big color commentator.

Not really. This is exactly what he signed up for.
So much so, that he included in his Fox contract a clause that allows him to bolt to another network if offered a spot in their #1 booth.
Don't cry for G-Reg.

Coincidentally said by the only person here who thinks Olsen sucks.  8-)

That contract is just savvy for anyone with commentator aspirations.  Nobody is crying for him, he'll be just fine.  Just pointing out the obvious that an accomplished broadcaster with a great track record is being demoted for someone who has exhibited nothing to hint that he'll be good at the gig other than being really good at football.

lawdog77

• All American
« Reply #2569 on: February 02, 2023, 11:13:19 AM »
No we didn't.
Actually we did have a meritocracy, but the only ones who were able to get the education and/or experience to qualify  were white Christian males.

Cue the All in the Family theme song.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #2570 on: February 02, 2023, 11:13:40 AM »
Derek Jeter would not even be in the top 20 all time Yankees .

Top herpes spreader of all time

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2571 on: February 02, 2023, 11:25:28 AM »
That contract is just savvy for anyone with commentator aspirations.  Nobody is crying for him, he'll be just fine.  Just pointing out the obvious that an accomplished broadcaster with a great track record is being demoted for someone who has exhibited nothing to hint that he'll be good at the gig other than being really good at football.

The irony here is that Olson was promoted to the #1 booth only because Brady un-retired. Brady's not stealing his job. It was Brady's job already. Greg was only keeping the seat warm.
And he was promoted to the #1 booth with only a year's experience. It's not like he grinded his way to the top. He was allowed to pass over plenty of more experienced and accomplished commentators because of who he was.

As for Brady, the idea that a guy who became the GOAT over a 23-year career largely because of his football IQ, famed preparation and virtually unmatched competitiveness has "exhibited nothing to hint" that he can provide intelligent football commentary is silly. He's one of the smartest players of all time. I suspect he knows a thing or two. Does that guarantee he'll be a success in the booth? No. But I wouldn't bet against him.

Food for thought:
https://awfulannouncing.com/nfl/the-2022-nfl-announcer-rankings.html
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 11:30:34 AM by Pakuni »

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2572 on: February 02, 2023, 11:38:56 AM »
Actually we did have a meritocracy, but the only ones who were able to get the education and/or experience to qualify  were white Christian males.

Cue the All in the Family theme song.

By definition not a meritocracy then  8-)

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2573 on: February 02, 2023, 11:57:25 AM »
As for Brady, the idea that a guy who became the GOAT over a 23-year career largely because of his football IQ, famed preparation and virtually unmatched competitiveness has "exhibited nothing to hint" that he can provide intelligent football commentary is silly. He's one of the smartest players of all time. I suspect he knows a thing or two. Does that guarantee he'll be a success in the booth? No. But I wouldn't bet against him.

There are hundreds of guys you can say that about.  I dont think unmatched competitiveness is really going to play into it.

Look at Drew Brees.  Another guy who I feel is a far more natural communicator than Brady, also a HOF QB with insane work ethic, preparation, and football IQ.  His appearances on TV have been awful and awkward.

I don't doubt Brady's intelligence or knowledge, but I wouldn't put him anywhere near the top of the list of current or recently retired NFL players who will be great commentators.

The irony here is that Olson was promoted to the #1 booth only because Brady un-retired. Brady's not stealing his job. It was Brady's job already. Greg was only keeping the seat warm.
And he was promoted to the #1 booth with only a year's experience. It's not like he grinded his way to the top. He was allowed to pass over plenty of more experienced and accomplished commentators because of who he was.

Food for thought:
https://awfulannouncing.com/nfl/the-2022-nfl-announcer-rankings.html

So he came in behind the arguable #1 NFL announcing team (Buck and Aikman), Nantz and Romo, the guy who has been doing MNF for 15 years whose new partner is another legendary PBP guy, and 2 teams with insane PBP guys (one being a top 3 in the game in Harlan and the other being the most underrated around in Eagle) with color guys who are entirely replaceable.  Not sure this is making the point you think it is.  I was expecting them to be 10th or worse if Olsen is "terrible".  If you put Olsen with Eagle or Harlan, he's in the top 4.

Uncle Rico

• All American
    • Mazos Hamburgers
« Reply #2574 on: February 02, 2023, 01:18:15 PM »
Top herpes spreader of all time

Actually, JJ Hardy beat him in that
Ramsey head thoroughly up his ass.