[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: 2022-2023 NFL Season  (Read 121261 times)

Pakuni

• All American
Re: 2022-2023 NFL Season
« Reply #2575 on: February 02, 2023, 02:28:47 PM »
There are hundreds of guys you can say that about.

There are hundreds of guys who became the GOAT because of their preparation and IQ?

I don't doubt Brady's intelligence or knowledge, but I wouldn't put him anywhere near the top of the list of current or recently retired NFL players who will be great commentators.

Who would be atop that list, and why?

So he came in behind the arguable #1 NFL announcing team (Buck and Aikman), Nantz and Romo, the guy who has been doing MNF for 15 years whose new partner is another legendary PBP guy, and 2 teams with insane PBP guys (one being a top 3 in the game in Harlan and the other being the most underrated around in Eagle) with color guys who are entirely replaceable.  Not sure this is making the point you think it is.  I was expecting them to be 10th or worse if Olsen is "terrible".  If you put Olsen with Eagle or Harlan, he's in the top 4.

I'm not sure what point you think I was making. I was just pointing out that Olson isn't as widely viewed as among the best out there. He's fine. Him being bumped by Brady isn't some Shakespearian tragedy.
And again, where was all the wailing when Olson got promoted to the #1 team above more experienced and accomplished commentators a year ago?

Uncle Rico

• All American
« Reply #2576 on: February 02, 2023, 03:04:51 PM »
There are hundreds of guys who became the GOAT because of their preparation and IQ?

I'm not sure what point you think I was making. I was just pointing out that Olson isn't as widely viewed as among the best out there. He's fine. Him being bumped by Brady isn't some Shakespearian tragedy.
And again, where was all the wailing when Olson got promoted to the #1 team above more experienced and accomplished commentators a year ago?

Brady’s quick decision making skills and correct choices made him one of the greatest QBs of all-time.  It’s an incredibly important skill for QBs
“This is bar none atrocious.  Mitchell cannot shoot either.  What a pile of dung”

Babybluejeans

• Team Captain
« Reply #2577 on: February 02, 2023, 03:37:13 PM »
I used to work for ESPN and anytime they thought about bringing in someone new to call in the booth, we used to run mock game calls for them. Basically tryouts where an entire random game is played out and the person does their calls as they would. There's no effing way Fox invested hundreds of millions of dollars into Brady in the booth if they weren't absolutely assured he can do a great job.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 03:38:51 PM by Babybluejeans »

The Sultan of Semantics

• All American
  • "Private message me coward" - panda
« Reply #2578 on: February 02, 2023, 03:42:40 PM »
I used to work for ESPN and anytime they thought about bringing in someone new to call in the booth, we used to run mock game calls for them. Basically tryouts. There's no effing way Fox invested hundreds of millions of dollars into Brady in the booth if they weren't absolutely assured he can do a great job.

You know, I am not really sure about this.  I think between Tony Romo's rapid emergence, plus needing something big to replace Buck and Aikman, Fox threw a bunch of money at him to make sure he didn't head elsewhere. Did they put him through *something?* Probably yes. But my guess is that they weren't "absolutely assured he can do a great job."  Was NBC sure about Brees? ESPN and Witten?
“True patriotism hates injustice in its own land more than anywhere else.” - Clarence Darrow

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2579 on: February 02, 2023, 04:41:22 PM »

There are hundreds of current and former NFL players that have intense preparation and high football IQs.  Brady has a lot of great intangibles, physical tools, and was in a fantastic system with great and consistent coaching that made him worthy of GOAT conversation.  I don't think he has a work ethic or football IQ that would be rare to find elsewhere.  That sounds like the same people who said Tebow would be an NFL starting QB/star cause he works so much harder and wants it so much more than anyone else.

Like Rico said, the things that made him an incredible QB and separated him from other merely great QBs are football skills, not that would necessarily make him succeed as announcer.

He's not my cup of tea, but JJ Watt.  Aaron Jones.  Larry Fitzgerald.

Again, Ive just never found Brady to be among the more personable, engaging, or charismatic NFL stars.

By your own "evidence" he was near on a list with a bunch of guys with Emmys and a decade plus of experience on top network teams (Collinsworth, Aikman), the recent golden boy of commentary (Romo), or the partners of elite PBP guys (if you think either Trent Green or Charles Davis is worth of a top spot on their own, well...) despite just 2 full seasons.  Thats viewed as pretty damn good IMO.

And if you can't see the difference between someone being promoted to the #1 team after multiple years of broadcasting versus someone coming in cold to the #1 spot, then you're just being difficult.  And again, you're making it out to be some dramatic wailing and gnashing of teeth.  All anyone has said was he got done a little dirty after performing really well the last 2 years.  Its not a scandal.  He'll be fine, nobody is going to dwell on it for years.  And if Brady stinks, then everything will work itself out eventually.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2580 on: February 02, 2023, 06:01:00 PM »
You know, I am not really sure about this.  I think between Tony Romo's rapid emergence, plus needing something big to replace Buck and Aikman, Fox threw a bunch of money at him to make sure he didn't head elsewhere. Did they put him through *something?* Probably yes. But my guess is that they weren't "absolutely assured he can do a great job."  Was NBC sure about Brees? ESPN and Witten?

It's worth remembering that Brady's deal with Fox extends beyond the booth. They're not paying him nearly $40 million a year just to analyze football games. He's going to be an "ambassador," making appearances on behalf of the network, schmoozing with major clients and probably even appearing in other programming (This week on "911: Lone Star," special guest star Tom Brady rescues puppies from a fire).
It's like an enormous NIL deal.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2581 on: February 02, 2023, 06:04:50 PM »
There are hundreds of current and former NFL players that have intense preparation and high football IQs.  Brady has a lot of great intangibles, physical tools, and was in a fantastic system with great and consistent coaching that made him worthy of GOAT conversation.

Tom Brady, System Quarterback
Two days ago you called the guy who designed the system during Brady's best seasons "a moron."

I don't think he has a work ethic or football IQ that would be rare to find elsewhere.

His teammates, coaches and opponents would beg to differ.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2582 on: February 02, 2023, 06:59:51 PM »
An arrest warrant was issued for Bengals     running back Joe Mixon on Thursday afternoon after he allegedly pointed a gun at a woman in downtown Cincinnati last month, according to multiple reports.
According to the warrant, obtained by WCPO’s Evan Millward, police said Mixon pointed a gun at a woman on Jan. 21 and said, “You should be popped in the face, I should shoot you, the police [can't] get me.”

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/arrest-warrant-issued-for-bengals-rb-joe-mixon-after-he-allegedly-pointed-gun-at-woman-in-cincinnati-235030320.html
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 07:01:30 PM by Pakuni »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2583 on: February 02, 2023, 07:32:07 PM »
And now Mixon's agent is saying the charge will be dropped tomorrow.
Weird.

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1621314910339698688?s=20&t=BLfjNWDTfDdP2-zCVW_4jg

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #2584 on: February 02, 2023, 07:50:39 PM »
It's so sad what's happened to Tony Romo.

He's become a louder Phil Simms

cheebs09

• All American
« Reply #2585 on: February 02, 2023, 10:28:31 PM »
And now Mixon's agent is saying the charge will be dropped tomorrow.
Weird.

https://twitter.com/TomPelissero/status/1621314910339698688?s=20&t=BLfjNWDTfDdP2-zCVW_4jg

And Chris Beard’s fiancé said it was her fault she got choked. This wouldn’t be the first time Mixon is in trouble for actions toward a woman.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2586 on: February 03, 2023, 10:54:24 AM »
Tom Brady, System Quarterback
Two days ago you called the guy who designed the system during Brady's best seasons "a moron."

Saying things/implying arguments like that were made to make me and others look like simpleton idiots is disingenuous and cheap.  You're better than that.  Even the greatest QBs will have more success in a great system than a garbage one.

And I would say it again.  McDaniels as an OC in the mid 2000s and early 2010s was brilliant.  As a HC, he's a moron and pretty awful leader.  Id also argue a lot of the bloom was off his rose as a OC even before he left NE for the second time.

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2587 on: February 03, 2023, 12:12:41 PM »
Saying things/implying arguments like that were made to make me and others look like simpleton idiots is disingenuous and cheap.  You're better than that.  Even the greatest QBs will have more success in a great system than a garbage one.

And I would say it again.  McDaniels as an OC in the mid 2000s and early 2010s was brilliant.  As a HC, he's a moron and pretty awful leader.  Id also argue a lot of the bloom was off his rose as a OC even before he left NE for the second time.

Correct.  You can't throw Tom Brady on the Bears and they're instantly a playoff team without changing a ton of other things.

They system Brady played in was tailored to his strengths and relied on his abilities to make great decisions... which he did all the time.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2588 on: February 10, 2023, 08:01:09 AM »
No NFL player has won MVP and the Super Bowl in the same season since Kurt Warner in 1999.

Patrick Mahomes got 2022 MVP hardware last night.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2589 on: February 10, 2023, 08:17:36 AM »
No NFL player has won MVP and the Super Bowl in the same season since Kurt Warner in 1999.

Patrick Mahomes got 2022 MVP hardware last night.

It should just be renamed MVQB since only two non QBs have won it in the last two decades.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2590 on: February 10, 2023, 09:15:45 AM »
It should just be renamed MVQB since only two non QBs have won it in the last two decades.

You won't get any argument out of me. But that doesn't change the fact I stated.

withoutbias

• All American
« Reply #2591 on: February 10, 2023, 09:34:36 AM »
You won't get any argument out of me. But that doesn't change the fact I stated.

Nobody said it did.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2592 on: February 12, 2023, 07:59:45 AM »
This NYT graphic perfectly illustrates why networks are willing to pay ever more bazillions for NFL broadcast rights:

And not only are people watching NFL games more than any other TV programming, but live-sports viewers usually sit through most commercials, too.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2593 on: February 13, 2023, 11:20:46 AM »
Shane Steichen is your new Indianapolis Colts head coach.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2594 on: February 13, 2023, 11:51:58 AM »
This NYT graphic perfectly illustrates why networks are willing to pay ever more bazillions for NFL broadcast rights:

And not only are people watching NFL games more than any other TV programming, but live-sports viewers usually sit through most commercials, too.

I’m consistently amazed by and underestimate the number of people I know who will consume anything NFL.  I mean, take yesterday, I know plenty of people that get hyped for the Super Bowl in a way approaching how pumped I would be if the Bears were playing, and they didn’t have their team in the game.  Same kind of people who plan their Sundays around watching the NFL, not just their specific team

Hards Alumni

• All American
« Reply #2595 on: February 13, 2023, 12:46:04 PM »
I’m consistently amazed by and underestimate the number of people I know who will consume anything NFL.  I mean, take yesterday, I know plenty of people that get hyped for the Super Bowl in a way approaching how pumped I would be if the Bears were playing, and they didn’t have their team in the game.  Same kind of people who plan their Sundays around watching the NFL, not just their specific team

Gambling.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2596 on: February 13, 2023, 03:37:54 PM »
Gambling.

Including fantasy football. It has always been a form of gambling -- even way back when I played FF (and Sammy Baugh was my QB), we had an annual fee (which was a wager) and the champion got a prize (which was the payoff on the wager) -- but now it's big-time gambling and nobody tries to pretend it isn't anymore.

But to Wags' point, I know a lot of people who never place a bet but they are in front of their TV for 6-10 hours every Sunday watching football. As well as Thursdays and Mondays.

Mutaman

• All American
  • "Technically this is true."
« Reply #2597 on: February 13, 2023, 06:34:05 PM »
Bo Jackson is the greatest football player of all time.  I firmly believe this.

He was a hell of a baseball player. Greatest arm i have ever seen by far. And when he ran to first he looked like a tank that moved like Usain Bolt.

WhiteTrash

• All American
« Reply #2598 on: February 14, 2023, 08:17:32 AM »
He was a hell of a baseball player. Greatest arm i have ever seen by far. And when he ran to first he looked like a tank that moved like Usain Bolt.
He was/is a very nice guy too. I met him in a club in  Chicago when he was with the Sox, early 90's, and he was very pleasant to this snot nosed 22 year old. We were both just hanging out and he started talking to me. Could not have been nicer. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2599 on: February 14, 2023, 10:14:17 AM »
But to Wags' point, I know a lot of people who never place a bet but they are in front of their TV for 6-10 hours every Sunday watching football. As well as Thursdays and Mondays.

Yep.  Most of the people I referenced don't gamble and at least 2 of them gave up FF.  Its wild.

He was/is a very nice guy too. I met him in a club in  Chicago when he was with the Sox, early 90's, and he was very pleasant to this snot nosed 22 year old. We were both just hanging out and he started talking to me. Could not have been nicer. 

My friend's husband grew up down the street from him in the Western Chicago burbs.  His father actually has been business partners with Bo on a few sports facility related things over the years.  And he's the nicest most unassuming guy.  You'd never know who he was (other than assuming he was an athlete due to his sheer size).  Great dude

feedback